Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

GrandAdmiralFox

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by GrandAdmiralFox »

tpkc_klick wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:19 pm
GrandAdmiralFox wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:14 pm
Arioch wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:02 am

I'm not certain, but I think it might make sense if it's supercooled hydrogen and/or helium, which could help keep the taimat stable as well as be used as extra reaction mass.
Good to know. Then again I keep in touch with various SciFi communities and you wouldn't believe the flame wars that asking what is the best propellant for a nuclear rocket would be.
The "best" option for a propellant is usually extremely case-specific, and depends heavily on the mission and operational goals of a vehicle, the logistical and industrial capacities of whoever is building and fueling it, and the design and configuration of the engine itself. Thus, there is no one "best" proellant for any given type of engine (so of course people have pointless internet nerd fights about it...)

I do think hydrogen has one huge advantage as reaction mass for an advanced space-faring species like the Loroi: its easy to get in huge quantities from just about anywhere (most abundant element and all that). It also bonds nicely with other elements to form things like water, which does things like freeze, making it easy to collect. It means that keeping ships supplied with hydrogen reaction mass practically can't turn into a strategic choke-point, which is a risk for potentially more efficient but much rarer proellant (like xenon, for example).
From the various communities I've been in contact with, hydrogen is best for anything that is just one giant skyscraper with a tiny-tiny little habitation and cargo block at the front end.

Unless you've got Battletech fusion engines that spew their hydrogen at what looks like FTL speeds.

Once you get out of the world of solid NTRs (i.e. fission reactors with one end being the rocket end and one where the propellant goes), it is generally agreed that water is the best general propellant, especially if you're wanting to go more than microgravities. Methane/Decane do better but that comes at the risk of carbon fouling, which is bad.
kiwi wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:20 pm
Possibly this should be in the Terran tech thread :-), but for those interested in rockets, Ignition!: An informal history of liquid rocket propellants is a surprisingly fun read.
Playing Children of a Dead Earth for over 150 hours gets you to understand the subtleties and frustrations of solid-core NTRs and chem rockets... and gives you a good idea of how tyrannical the rocket equation (and thus rocket construction) is. That is despite the fact that there are still bugs and exploits to fix.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

The fact that terran ships are restricted to hydrogen fuel doesn't meant that the loroi doesn't use it. I strongly suspect that they use this widely avalible and cheap fuel when able. As such I suspect that this is common on most civilian vessels not involved in supplying warships at the frontline.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

GrandAdmiralFox wrote:
Good to know. Then again I keep in touch with various SciFi communities and you wouldn't believe the flame wars that asking what is the best propellant for a nuclear rocket would be.
SpoilerShow
The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story! Late backing possible, more info soon.

GrandAdmiralFox

Post by GrandAdmiralFox »

Krulle wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:20 pm
GrandAdmiralFox wrote:
SpoilerShow
Then again, given this also means how much propellant is needed and the size of the propellant tanks (which is very important when designing something like a WARSHIP), is a question that is going to be discussed to death with.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Yeah, and refuelling systems, refuelling methods, the use and necessity and practicability of tankers, fighters, missiles, ....

Dear gentlepersons, I love this forum also because such stuff is here often discussed at lengths, but without the drama found on some other sites.
This community accepts that slight changes in parameters (like physical limitations) result in a completely different set of practicabilities.
The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story! Late backing possible, more info soon.

Werra

Post by Werra »

How does aging affect the ability to learn for the Loroi? Since they aren't physically aging much, do they retain their youthful ability to easily learn new things?

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Werra wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:26 pm
How does aging affect the ability to learn for the Loroi? Since they aren't physically aging much, do they retain their youthful ability to easily learn new things?
I think they are a slow learning civilization. It is a characteristic of Elven civilizations all around fantasy works.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Hello Arioch :)
I wanted to ask if the Soia Lirons were some kind of parasitic psychic aliens, who preyed on mortal bodies and minds.
Your fictional loroi ancestors bear a stark resemblance to the mysterious Yu'vath xenos, who are mentioned in Warhammer 40K, asymmetric entities that reside in the warp dimension and rule by psychic domination of client races. Many of these were genetically modified or in some cases created from scratch.
It also mentions Yu'vath warspheres kilometres in diameter, enforcing the will of their masters, alien ruins that bear the hallmarks of the Yu'vath tech, and occasional functional psy-techs in the ruins.
So will we encounter some of these in the future?
https://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/2 ... uvath1.jpg

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Werra wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:26 pm
I expect that it's similar to humans in that children have especially plastic minds to allow for swift learning, but that plasticity levels out during adulthood. I think that adults are plenty capable of learning new things, but that ability and interest in learning new things varies with the individual, as with humans.

The Loroi have a conservative culture that tends to resist change, but I think this is not directly related to the ability of individuals to learn new things.
Dan Wyatt wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:00 am
I wanted to ask if the Soia Lirons were some kind of parasitic psychic aliens, who preyed on mortal bodies and minds.
Your fictional loroi ancestors bear a stark resemblance to the mysterious Yu'vath xenos, who are mentioned in Warhammer 40K, asymmetric entities that reside in the warp dimension and rule by psychic domination of client races. Many of these were genetically modified or in some cases created from scratch.
It also mentions Yu'vath warspheres kilometres in diameter, enforcing the will of their masters, alien ruins that bear the hallmarks of the Yu'vath tech, and occasional functional psy-techs in the ruins.
So will we encounter some of these in the future?
https://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/2 ... uvath1.jpg
If the Soia were psionic monsters from another dimension, there is no current evidence of it. But that wouldn't be very different from the Barsam religion's depiction of the Soia as angelic beings from a higher plane of existence.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

While I understand that Loroi warriors and civilians lead separate lives, are they at times forced to share facilities, like hospitals, public transports or working together on space stations? If so, can it cause tension?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:41 pm
While I understand that Loroi warriors and civilians lead separate lives, are they at times forced to share facilities, like hospitals, public transports or working together on space stations? If so, can it cause tension?
I don't think so. Some extra-snooty warriors might turn up their noses at an assignment which would require a lot of interaction with civilians, but I think except for onboard ship, most warriors and civilians would see each other walking around every day. They're part of the same culture and live in the same cities (though probably in different buildings).

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:20 pm
Snoofman wrote:
I don't think so. Some extra-snooty warriors might turn up their noses at an assignment which would require a lot of interaction with civilians, but I think except for onboard ship, most warriors and civilians would see each other walking around every day. They're part of the same culture and live in the same cities (though probably in different buildings).
Thanks. :D Good to know.

If I understand correctly, only warriors seem to have political power, aside from whatever influence the alien members of the Union Assembly may have. but does the Elder Council (hope that's the right term) allow representatives from the civilian Guilds to sit with them and form policies? I get that civilians are looked down upon by some warriors and that some warriors prefer to employ aliens over civilians, but I imagine there has to be some level of communication and compromise between civilians and warriors if they want their society to function.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Snoofman wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:00 am
If I understand correctly, only warriors seem to have political power, aside from whatever influence the alien members of the Union Assembly may have. but does the Elder Council (hope that's the right term) allow representatives from the civilian Guilds to sit with them and form policies? I get that civilians are looked down upon by some warriors and that some warriors prefer to employ aliens over civilians, but I imagine there has to be some level of communication and compromise between civilians and warriors if they want their society to function.
Not all Loroi nations have the same type of local government, even on Deinar. Even some of the more traditional oligarchies have equivalents of the Roman Tribune of the Plebs or Plebeian Council which represent the interests of the civilian population in government. Even in those that don't have civilian officials in government, civilian groups can lobby the government for action (sort of similar to medieval guild leaders making requests of the Prince), and such groups are not without significant influence. Within the civilians' own community, there is nothing that prevents them from forming their own city councils, chambers of commerce, economic exchanges, civil courts, etc., which operate normally with the exception that they have no authority over warriors or state property, and can be superseded by higher military authority.

Werra

Post by Werra »

How would Loroi state authorities react to a male deciding to visit his civilian relative in her civilian town and just impregnating dozens or hundreds of civvies?

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

Werra wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:37 pm
How would Loroi state authorities react to a male deciding to visit his civilian relative in her civilian town and just impregnating dozens or hundreds of civvies?
The problem would be said male being able to leave the confines of his home, especially without the caretakers knowing about it. I believe its implied that Loroi males are basically under constant house arrest, only allowed to leave to meet up for encounters and such.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Quickdraw101 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:57 pm
Werra wrote:
The problem would be said male being able to leave the confines of his home, especially without the caretakers knowing about it. I believe its implied that Loroi males are basically under constant house arrest, only allowed to leave to meet up for encounters and such.
I'm sure there are Loroi males that want to wander outside their confines. Hell I would if I was a Loroi male, because my curiosity would need to be sated as much as my lust. But in Loroi society it could be more dangerous. The males' caretakers are essentially their legal guardians. It's probably no different than a human parent that is overbearingly protective of their children living in a city. Imagine a gang of Loroi females, regardless if they are warriors or civilians, finding a lone male wondering around. Some females would have no restraint and might get aggressive just to have a crack at him. Putting the male in more danger. It wouldn't surprise me if there have been such incidents in the Outsider-verse.

Werra

Post by Werra »

It would be impossible to hide such a crime in a telepathic society.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Snoofman wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:48 am

I'm sure there are Loroi males that want to wander outside their confines. Hell I would if I was a Loroi male, because my curiosity would need to be sated as much as my lust. But in Loroi society it could be more dangerous. The males' caretakers are essentially their legal guardians. It's probably no different than a human parent that is overbearingly protective of their children living in a city. Imagine a gang of Loroi females, regardless if they are warriors or civilians, finding a lone male wondering around. Some females would have no restraint and might get aggressive just to have a crack at him. Putting the male in more danger. It wouldn't surprise me if there have been such incidents in the Outsider-verse.
Goddamn, this is some good fetish material.
Anyways, the status of males is perhaps similar to the women in certain societies in our world.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Not all Loroi subcultures are the same, and not all Loroi nations have the same rules, but in general males occupy a special place in society that has somewhat restrictive rules. A good analogy is an upperclass European female of the eighteenth century... there were a lot of rules as to what was appropriate behavior for a lady, but they were "enforced" through social pressure... there (usually) weren't bodyguards following them around. Unacceptable behavior could lead to negative reputation, loss of status, loss or privileges, or even in extreme cases expulsion from "polite society." Loroi males care as much about popularity and prestige as Loroi females do, and so the vast majority would be loath to openly misbehave. Those wild child boys who flout the rules and aren't clever enough not to get caught are quietly bundled off to a convent or some Donei workhouse. Or, if a member of a prominent family, literally locked in the cellar.

Male orders like the Nedatan have their own rules and enforcement mechanisms, and a cadre of dedicated caretakers.
Werra wrote:
Loroi males go out into town frequently, but it would be improper to go alone without some kind of group or chaperone. "Visiting a civilian relative" would not be any kind of excuse... except for some kind of unusual exception, any family relation between a male and female civilian was abrogated when the female was discharged from the military.

If a male snuck out and impregnated a bunch of females of his own choosing, that would a criminal offense, regardless of whether the females were military or civilian. And I mean an offense for the females, not the male. Unlicensed pregnancies would be very hard to conceal, so the perpetrators are very likely to be caught.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arioch wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:20 pm
Snoofman wrote:
But of course and those "extra-snooty warriors" would be assigned somewhere else. Notice how elves tend to have a reputation of being insufferable in many settings? This also seem to be true for the vulcans in Star Trek. There is an episode of DS9 when an entire starship of extra insufferable vulcans arrive to the station, lead by a captain with very low opinons of humans. There are also an episode of the original Star Trek where one of Enterprise sisterships, another constitution class where offscreen destroyed by a space anomoly and Spock felt it happen. So the Federation have starships crewed entierly by vulcans but also have vulcan scientists mixed into normal ships crews. Perhaps those "all vulcan" crews are "extra insufferable" and as such get their own ships so they do not annoy others. 😉