Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

cacambo43

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by cacambo43 »

I still contend (with full acknowledgement that I might be seeing what I want to see) that Alex dislikes Fireblade more than she dislkes him. She seems concerned about what trouble he might get into and annoyed that he's so antagonistic, but must have some understanding of what it must be costing him emotionally to be there and dealing with the loss of his friends and ship, as she's shown remarkable restraint. IMHO.

CJSF

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Agree completely. I've said before that I think she's playing the bad cop to greater degree than she actually feels. Time will tell.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

sunphoenix wrote:
Absalom wrote:I don't think that was being mischievous, I think she was just trying to display her authority, territorialism/posturing/establishing dominance/etc. She hasn't shown any signs of acting domineering, but I can buy the idea that she has at least some Alpha personality traits.
I said mischievous merely because of her expression. She was not scowling or directly following it up by stepping close to 'enforce' her intimidating presence. Fireblade may not be able to 'read' Alex's emotions but his expressions and speech are a sure marker he is already plenty scarred of his situation. There is no Reason whatsoever to infer from any of Alex's spoken words or body language that he has ANY illusions of 'trying to make a break for it'. Where would he go? His recognition of the weapons the other Loroi Soroin were carrying about I'm sure is not lost on Fireblade. Fireblade could have easily just side stepped Alex in the elevator he would have reflexively caught himself with his hand against the wall... there was no need for Fireblade to clout him with TK force. And considering Ariochs description of Fireblade's TK control...
Arioch wrote:Fireblade has more than enough power to lift her own body, but not fine enough control to fly safely... in the same way that she roughly "shoved" Alex in the elevator because she did not have fine enough control to simply catch him. If she found herself in a dangerous situation, she could chuck herself into the air, but she'd have a difficult time making a safe landing.
... It was possible she could have certainly hurt Alex. Her expression afterward as she Sanzai's a reply to Beryl says to me she was at least being chastised for being so forceful. Part of her intention yes was to show her hidden danger... but I don't think it was a direct attempt to scare Alex... he's obviously scared of his situation. At least it seems that wasy to me. Fireblade has not bothered to menace Alex... I don't think she's a bully or cruel.

That would make her akin to an Earth Officer Ranked Marine bullying a rescued from being ship-wreaked at sea lone unarmed tall foreign woman by his deployed missile cruiser.
Establishing a pecking order is not inherently the same as bullying, even with Fireblade's actions. If she'd kept it up, then yes, but I'd say that Jardin's occasional harassment is as close to bullying as Fireblade's shove, and possibly closer (certainly I doubt that Fireblade believes him to be cowed, he's shown himself to be far too annoying for that).

CrimsonFALKE wrote:Absalom liquid O2, being injected into the spine is not done so in the capacity of which you seem to think, so please don't make assumptions. I merely store liquid O2, then have it processed into a gas and injected at given times such as a near black out. Its meant to function as an emergency back up to prevent blackouts.
That seems much more reasonable, but I'd never describe it as injecting liquid O2 into the spinal column, since it's not a liquid at that point.
CrimsonFALKE wrote:On "Zerg rush", you really are forgetting the biggest thing in WW2 was that it basically took 1000+ planes to hit a football field sized building. In desert storm the Iraqi’s used Zerg Rush tactics and were butchered. Although if you mean massed munitions like MIRVs and steal rain then yes that is effective.
In terms of WW2, I was thinking US fighters and tanks, rather than bombers. The Germans had better, but we had both "good enough", and so many that they were overwhelmed. A tactic that the Umiak achieve as well, though seemingly to a lesser extent than we did.

CrimsonFALKE wrote:Well wouldn't the humans be given some sort of tech boost to help fight the war? Historians maybe or the Loroi?
As Zakharra said, we need to build the tools required to build the equipment, and possibly we need to build the tools to build those tools, and possibly even another generation of tools for those. Basically, you're looking at a boot-strapping delay.

wasp609 wrote:i wonder what a loroi mre would look like,
As I best recall, Arioch described all of the food on this page, including the knobby fruit that Jardin's holding, as being such an equivalent.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Absalom wrote:In terms of WW2, I was thinking US fighters and tanks, rather than bombers. The Germans had better, but we had both "good enough", and so many that they were overwhelmed. A tactic that the Umiak achieve as well, though seemingly to a lesser extent than we did.
I would argue that it doesn't even apply that much to fighters. The German fighters may have had an edge now and then, but it wasn't a night and day thing like Tiger vs. M4.

discord

Post by discord »

fred: just nitpicking here, but the Panzer V(panther) was probably the better tank, and pretty much the first MBT(although arguably the T-34 got there first, as a combat machine the successor T-54/55 is probably the most successful tank design so far), and if the german tanks were not so complicated and down for maintenance all the time, they would have performed much better, there are lessons to be learned here.

quick comparison.
subject panther tiger winner reason
gun 75mm 88mm draw the panther had better penetration, the tiger more damage.
reliability very not good not good tiger the late model panther had fixed many problems, and was then about par with the tiger, but still.
armor 80mm 100mm panther sloped, effective armor thickness was closer to 120mm, small win though.
mobility 46km/h 38km/h panther better range, better terrain handling, lower weight, all over the board just better.

final note, you could almost get 2x panther for every tiger....and if they had fixed the final drive and overheating on the panther it would have been doing 55km/h.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Jesus fucking Christ, why does there have to be war-weapon arguments in every single thread :evil:
Don't delay, join today!

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Carl Miller wrote:Jesus fucking Christ,...
Mind your religion, youn'un! Image

But back to the regular program:

If I already asked, apologies Arioch.

Why is Alex sent all the way to Seren while he was IIRC picked up in another sector (the Tinza sector)? Or at least by a raider squadron probably under the jurisdiction of Tinza Sector Command?

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

Sorry about this, I know it's off-topic, but I honestly don't know where to ask this or which thread it was on: I remember a link to a sort of jump-drive calculator, where you would set your jump distance and it showed you possible routes. One hour and a half of fruitless searching, and I still don't know where it was. Could anyone let me know where it was? Thanks in advance.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Carl Miller wrote:Jesus fucking Christ, why does there have to be war-weapon arguments in every single thread
What can I say? We're interested in weapons.
GeoModder wrote:Why is Alex sent all the way to Seren while he was IIRC picked up in another sector (the Tinza sector)? Or at least by a raider squadron probably under the jurisdiction of Tinza Sector Command?
Seren is where the Emperor is.
Mr.Tucker wrote:Sorry about this, I know it's off-topic, but I honestly don't know where to ask this or which thread it was on: I remember a link to a sort of jump-drive calculator, where you would set your jump distance and it showed you possible routes. One hour and a half of fruitless searching, and I still don't know where it was. Could anyone let me know where it was? Thanks in advance.
I don't recall that.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Is it safe to assume that whilst Alex is being whisked away, an exploratory force is being sent to find and "greet" (or observe) the Prabhu, which Alex graciously told them was just 10 jumps away?

CJSF

[Edited: I originally said 3 jumps, whoops]

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

cacambo43 wrote:Is it safe to assume that whilst Alex is being whisked away, an exploratory force is being sent to find and "greet" (or observe) the Prabhu, which Alex graciously told them was just 10 jumps away?
Given that the Loroi haven't even asked where the Prabhu is (even though Alex was offering to tell them), no. They have more pressing things to worry about at the moment.

Also keep in mind that the only ones who know of Alex's existence at this point are Strike Group 51 and Mozin's courier Prophet's Reason, which is faster than SG51 but not by much; word is probably just now reaching Azimol. The decision to send Alex to Seren is entirely Stillstorm's. In a world without FTL communication, field commanders have to make a lot of choices on their own.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Arioch wrote:
cacambo43 wrote:Is it safe to assume that whilst Alex is being whisked away, an exploratory force is being sent to find and "greet" (or observe) the Prabhu, which Alex graciously told them was just 10 jumps away?
Given that the Loroi haven't even asked where the Prabhu is (even though Alex was offering to tell them), no. They have more pressing things to worry about at the moment.

Also keep in mind that the only ones who know of Alex's existence at this point are Strike Group 51 and Mozin's courier Prophet's Reason, which is faster than SG51 but not by much; word is probably just now reaching Azimol. The decision to send Alex to Seren is entirely Stillstorm's. In a world without FTL communication, field commanders have to make a lot of choices on their own.
I figured they could narrow it down to a few systems that would be A-10 jumps away and B-not in Loroi or (probably) Umiak space. But you seem to be suggesting that their cutting him off and ignoring his mentions of getting back to his support people is more incidental due to their preoccupation with current events rather than a deliberate attempt to keep him away from the Prabhu or any other humans.

CJSF

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

cacambo43 wrote:I figured they could narrow it down to a few systems that would be A-10 jumps away and B-not in Loroi or (probably) Umiak space. But you seem to be suggesting that their cutting him off and ignoring his mentions of getting back to his support people is more incidental due to their preoccupation with current events rather than a deliberate attempt to keep him away from the Prabhu or any other humans.
At this point "them" is really just Stillstorm (henpecked a bit by Tempo), who is not convinced that Alex or his claims are genuine. But SG51 could not have gone directly to the Prabhu rendezvous anyway without resupply. Sending a mission to a distant rendezvous out beyond contested territory will take some planning and logistical support, which is someone else's problem as far as Stillstorm is concerned. The main thing she wants from Alex is to be out of her sight, as quickly as is practical.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

discord wrote:fred: just nitpicking here, but the Panzer V(panther) was probably the better tank
Not going to argue that, but everyone thinks of the Tiger first. I shudder to think of how the war could have gone if someone competent was in command of the German military.

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

Mr.Tucker wrote:Sorry about this, I know it's off-topic, but I honestly don't know where to ask this or which thread it was on: I remember a link to a sort of jump-drive calculator, where you would set your jump distance and it showed you possible routes. One hour and a half of fruitless searching, and I still don't know where it was. Could anyone let me know where it was? Thanks in advance.

I'm 100% certain I saw such a link. Well, better get my web-shovel and start digging.

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

Mr.Tucker wrote:

I'm 100% certain I saw such a link. Well, better get my web-shovel and start digging.
same here I remember something about this somewhere. though I did find this one after a search on the internet http://www.eve-icsc.com/jumptools/jumpplanner.php

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

wasp609 wrote:
Mr.Tucker wrote:

same here I remember something about this somewhere. though I did find this one after a search on the internet http://www.eve-icsc.com/jumptools/jumpplanner.php

Nah, that's an online resource for the game Eve Online. Thanks for the effort though :) .
(puts hard-hat on) Back to work then :( .

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

fredgiblet wrote: I shudder to think of how the war could have gone if someone competent was in command of the German military.
Rommel?

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

GeoModder wrote:
fredgiblet wrote: I shudder to think of how the war could have gone if someone competent was in command of the German military.
Rommel?
actually german commanders were very competent the problem was stretching their resources too far and a confusing set of rules about the german leadership.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:
Rommel?
I think he was referring to Hitler & Co. Fortunately for us, Rommel was never in command of the German military.