Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

GeoModder

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by GeoModder »

discord wrote:geo: don't dis that hand axe, better melee weapon than the knife any day of the week, usually better thrown too....and a better infantry engineering tool as well, does wonders for cutting down small trees and going through annoying doors.
Ain't a hand axe and a tomahawk two different beasts? When I read "tomahawk", I have the ancient "stone-and-bone/wooden war weapon in mind. Not a modern steel and wood axe.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

From what I understand, tomahawks were steel-bladed weapons made by Europeans for trade; the Native American-made version was more of a club.
saint of m wrote:Would the Loroi still have any more "primitive" weapons to have on hand that are either there for tradition or as a secondary if they run out of batteries?
Current modern troops carry a variety of utility "weapons" such as knives, axes and shovels, and I suspect the Loroi would do the same; Stillstorm is wearing a knife. But the percentage of combat engagements in which such things actually get used as weapons requires a lot of decimal places.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:From what I understand, tomahawks were steel-bladed weapons made by Europeans for trade; the Native American-made version was more of a club.
Really? Didn't know that.

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

and now you know and knowing is half the battle.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

wasp609 wrote:and now you know and knowing is half the battle.
Mind if I take a missile to it instead of a tomahawk? :twisted:

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

id rather use the orbital friendship cannon.

saint of m

Post by saint of m »

Do Loroi have the equivolent of "Red Necks" and what makes them so?

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Why do the Loroi where such tight fitting clothes?

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

who cares, gives me a moral boost.

JQBogus

Post by JQBogus »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:Why do the Loroi where such tight fitting clothes?
I would assume they are vacuum suits that work by way of mechanical, rather than pneumatic, counter-pressure.

Here's a link to a similar, though much less advanced, technology : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_activity_suit

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

:lol: I act have used those in my own fiction, I just didn't see it. I thought it was some type of specialized armor.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

wasp609 wrote:who cares, gives me a moral boost.
I am not complaining :lol:

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

saint of m wrote:If the Loroi ever found a Umiak ship with damaged engines and a lack of a working self destruct ability, would the Loroi take the opportunity to board to go through enemy tech and databases?
Both sides have captured examples of enemy technology, as you would expect given 25 years of war.

Zakharra

Post by Zakharra »

If it is a newer ship and they have time, there might be a cursory examination of it to see if there is anything new about it, but overall, it's probably blown in place, or melted down for scrap.

That being said, there will be many Umaik ships (intact or parts of) being examined to find out what machine the Umaik used to hide them from the farseers.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Zakharra wrote: That being said, there will be many Umaik ships (intact or parts of) being examined to find out what machine the Umaik used to hide them from the farseers.
For starters, it's Umiak. ;)
Second, the Loroi of the 51st Strike Group only now became aware of the Umiak's ability to hide their real strength from the farseers, so won't have had the opportunity yet to investigate an Umiak wreck in Naam due to having to bail out in a hurry.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

GeoModder wrote:
Zakharra wrote: That being said, there will be many Umaik ships (intact or parts of) being examined to find out what machine the Umaik used to hide them from the farseers.
Second, the Loroi of the 51st Strike Group only now became aware of the Umiak's ability to hide their real strength from the farseers, so won't have had the opportunity yet to investigate an Umiak wreck in Naam due to having to bail out in a hurry.
I also noticed that the Humans have something similar to that "stealth" for lack of a better word.

Zakharra

Post by Zakharra »

GeoModder wrote:

Sorry about the letter mix up. As for my post though, that's why I said they will be many such ships pr wrecks being examined after the battles are over and the Umiak pushed back. They will want to know how the shells accomplished such a thing.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Zakharra wrote:
GeoModder wrote:

Sorry about the letter mix up. As for my post though, that's why I said they will be many such ships pr wrecks being examined after the battles are over and the Umiak pushed back. They will want to know how the shells accomplished such a thing.

Hopefully the shells won't have this tech in large quantities

wasp609

Post by wasp609 »

do the loroi heavy any land basic vehicles such as tanks or is it all space oriented.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

wasp609 wrote:do the loroi heavy any land basic vehicles such as tanks or is it all space oriented.
Sure, they have a variety of ground forces. That's discussed in a little more detail here:
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/forum_ground_war.html