page 180: Nightsky

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

page 180: Nightsky

Post by Krulle »

https://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider180.html
SpoilerShow
I wonder if there is a connection evolving, as otherwise the specific details would not be explainable to that degree...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Jagged

Re: page 180: Nightsky

Post by Jagged »

Can't believe he didn't immediately ask if it was true!

*waves fist at Alex* :evil:

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Who would have thought that Fireblade is so soft on the inside...

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I think it has also to do with her experiencing a lot of peace, without fear of detection, after she got rescued in the Semoset campaign.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Imagine Fireblade's reaction when she finds out herselt as the only Loroi who can get into Jardin's mind. Which among other things means Tempo permanently assigning her as the human bodyguard.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

raistlin34 wrote:Imagine Fireblade's reaction when she finds out herselt as the only Loroi who can get into Jardin's mind. Which among other things means Tempo permanently asignning her as the human bodyguard.
I will do you one better, their connection ending up being 'two way' after a while and she 'sees' what Alex thinks about.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

dragoongfa wrote:
raistlin34 wrote:Imagine Fireblade's reaction when she finds out herselt as the only Loroi who can get into Jardin's mind. Which among other things means Tempo permanently asignning her as the human bodyguard.
I will do you one better, their connection ending up being 'two way' after a while and she 'sees' what Alex thinks about.
What Alex thinks about. :lol:

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

dragoongfa wrote:
"Fantastic, a constant mental view of my own ass"
Dammit, I promised my self not to go there anymore.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

boldilocks wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:
You are going to love page 181

Chekist_Felix

Post by Chekist_Felix »

dragoongfa wrote:
boldilocks wrote:
dragoongfa wrote: I will do you one better, their connection ending up being 'two way' after a while and she 'sees' what Alex thinks about.
You are going to love page 181
On it Alex going to be confused by mental image of his own naked ass from medbay! :D
My literacy is cringe-fest... Apologies for what you're about to read.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Jagged wrote:Can't believe he didn't immediately ask if it was true!

*waves fist at Alex* :evil:
It would have been kinda cool if he had asked whether she had an eye injury at that time.

On the other side, it would also make the Loroi more mistrustful.

Murph

Post by Murph »

I think the others know Alex is “hearing” Fireblade, and they are curious.....

novius

Post by novius »

Murph wrote:I think the others know Alex is “hearing” Fireblade, and they are curious.....
Doesn't need to be. It could simply be that they all know of Fireblade's past - after all, her specific kind of PTSD makes everyone else know as soon as they bunk together - and the sidelong glances of Talon and Spiral are sort of a "welp, now it takes a darker turn. A pity." .

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Oddly specific... Yes. Though I m wondering if Fireblade is alone at this image as in most memories I have from myself arent viewed from outside from my body. With loroi telepathy, when you are close to someone, you propably could build memories from connected senses.
Supporter of forum RPG

novius

Post by novius »

bunnyboy wrote:Oddly specific... Yes. Though I m wondering if Fireblade is alone at this image as in most memories I have from myself arent viewed from outside from my body. With loroi telepathy, when you are close to someone, you propably could build memories from connected senses.
Actually, many times even personal memories are recalled in a third person perspective, rather than first person. This is because the scene isn't recorded as if being recorded by a camera in your head, your mind just puts down 'key points', like the fact that you offered the ring with a proposal at that given moment, and then reconstructs the scene on the fly. Like, how did the restaurant look like back then, how did you look like, together with your old hairstyle, and so on and so forth.

And given the way the mind works, the "camera position" becomes "unlocked" and allows the conscious mind to revisit the scene in its entirety.

With Fireblade, she surely had seen herself in a mirror and pretty much attaches this image of herself to the given time period between her injury and the reconstructive surgery, or whatever Loroi do as a treatment.

DCR

Post by DCR »

I hope the connection is one-way, receive only just for the novelty of it.
But pretty certain they know that Jardin's got some mindlink to Fireblade and I can't wait to see how that plays out. Fireblade's been background way too long.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

If it's one way (Fireblade to Alex) then they don't know anything because there is no tangible proof about it. Fireblade doesn't receive anything to pass along, so they can't make that connection. Tempo could, perhaps, infer that Alex may be receiving something due to his facial expression but Occam's razor is against this 'theory' because the simplest answer in regards to Alex's reactions is that the 'alien' is simply being an 'alien'.

If they had mental proof of a connection then they would have immediately asked him for his cooperation in doing some simple experiments in order to 'probe' the extent of said connection.

EDIT: If it was me writing this story then they would start suspecting that something is going on when an asleep Alex starts hugging the 'warmest' thing in reach; which is 'furnace like' as we have already established from way back at page 18.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Even if Alex begins to suspect, maybe he won't be on a hurry to let the Loroi know they can actually overcome his lotai to a degree, if mindprobed hard enough.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

raistlin34 wrote:Even if Alex begins to suspect, maybe he won't be on a hurry to let the Loroi know they can actually overcome his lotai to a degree, if mindprobed hard enough.
He'd definetly have to weigh it up against the warning he got to tell the loroi as little as possible.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

So, from the 'Telepathy' section of the Insider:
Loroi telepathy has varying effects in regard to non-Loroi alien subjects. No known alien is truly telepathic, and so aliens may not transmit telepathic messages or experience the true depth of the Loroi skin-to-skin telepathic link. However, most intelligent alien species do generate a mental signature that can be detected by Loroi telepaths, and it is possible for Loroi to send a telepathic message to or use other telepathic abilities on an alien subject, though this often requires actual physical contact.
From this, it looks like its no extra-ordinary thing Alex might have picked up something of a telepathic message from a Loroi.
Could be he's in on Fireblade's 'message' towards Tempo/rest of the party, because of the earlier 'attack' of Fireblade on him back in the medical bay aboard Tempest (some kind of permanent link established), or an attempt of Tempo to find out if he can pick up more then just the spoken message.
The most extra-ordinary here (from the Loroi's point of view) would be they cannot in return 'sense' him through Sanzai.