WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Ithekro

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Ithekro »

Master of the Domain with servant Jardin 11.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arioch wrote:
GeoModder wrote:Humanity definitely has improved in the 22nd century. Two grassbots? ;)
When I first imagined this scene as a teenager, lawnmower robots seemed more futuristic than they do today. :D

But revisiting the idea today, I expect that the lawnmower robots of the 22nd century will probably not look much different than they do today... it's a practical form. Being smaller isn't an advantage (it would just take longer), and I think something like a hovercraft lawnmower is overkill.
Hovercraft lawnmowers do exist thou and have for a very long time, I saw one in my teens actually. Let's just say they are for places where regular lawnmovers do not work that well like sharp inclinations and other places where wheels would be a liability. It is usually just better to avoid to have those in your garden. Anyway your original idea of the futurism of robotic lawn movers and the fact that they are common today is what TV tropes call "zeerust" and it can be pretty jarring when viewing old episodes of Star Trek.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Sweforce wrote:Anyway your original idea of the futurism of robotic lawn movers and the fact that they are common today is what TV tropes call "zeerust" and it can be pretty jarring when viewing old episodes of Star Trek.
It's not "zeerust" when the prediction comes true. And these are just items in the background... no one is gaping about how futuristic they are.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arioch wrote:
Sweforce wrote:Anyway your original idea of the futurism of robotic lawn movers and the fact that they are common today is what TV tropes call "zeerust" and it can be pretty jarring when viewing old episodes of Star Trek.
It's not "zeerust" when the prediction comes true. And these are just items in the background... no one is gaping about how futuristic they are.
I thought about them arriving so early but then again this is Alex as a kid and those can be fascinated by something that adult take as common. It could have inspired him as well, I do not know how advanced his skills in electronics and/or programming are.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

Arioch wrote:
I can see Roomba making one. The Tom Selleck film runaway had agriculture robots, and that was done near enoguh to our then present, why not this?

DCR

Post by DCR »

How much to reveal? How much to withhold? because it's not just the Loroi, got the spy in the tablet.

In Jardin's spacesuit, I'd be very sad I couldn't pass these sort of decisions on as "That's way above my paygrade."

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Mr.Tucker wrote:Let's just say... east of Europe, west of China, north of Persia and south of penguins :) .
I'll allow "south of penguins" if you can prove that you are from before the 19th century and therefore meant the birds that are called, nowadays, "auks". The animals called "penguins" remain in the southern hemisphere, the Galapagos being the furthest north they go. :P

DCR

Post by DCR »

gaerzi wrote:
Mr.Tucker wrote:Let's just say... east of Europe, west of China, north of Persia and south of penguins :) .
I'll allow "south of penguins" if you can prove that you are from before the 19th century and therefore meant the birds that are called, nowadays, "auks". The animals called "penguins" remain in the southern hemisphere, the Galapagos being the furthest north they go. :P
Rebuilding of the world by the Antarctic dome pioneers following the Second Great Depression, World War III, and the Fortnite vs Minecraft Cataclysm relocated penguins all over the place, just to be fair.

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

gaerzi wrote:
Let"s consider the position of penguins. If I take said position, move further south to the south pole...then continue along the same south-facing direction, I will, eventually, reach central Asia, will I not? :P

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Today's episode of PBS Eons seems topical.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Mr.Tucker wrote: Let"s consider the position of penguins. If I take said position, move further south to the south pole...then continue along the same south-facing direction, I will, eventually, reach central Asia, will I not? :P
But you stopped going south somewhere along the lines, as you won't be facing south anymore.

On the Curonian Spit, the end-point is the most northern point of the spit, and the German name is "Südpunkt" (southpoint).
Why? Because you can only go south from there.

Let's return to topic again:
This is how I imagine telepathy explanations: A nice image forming in your head, transferring what the speaker wants to tell about her home/adventure/...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

"I ascended to adult-hood by taming the mighty sandworm"

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

I created a forums account just to post this. Been a lurker for years and truly enjoy the comic. Thank you for this great piece of work :D.

Is it possible that when Humans sleep the "Mask" we have might fade and the Loroi can "see" his dreams. That's the impression i got from the WIP of young Jardin, it could also be a simple flashback story though too.
Keep up the great work and stay safe/healthy :D.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Kelvandos wrote:Is it possible that when Humans sleep the "Mask" we have might fade and the Loroi can "see" his dreams.
Might require more than just a human at rest given how much time Reed spent outside his door with him sleeping in solitary.

The "Mask" seems more like something that requires focus to lower which is why Alex doing the zen thing let him spot Fireblade.

Kelvandos

Post by Kelvandos »

Wouldn't sleeping be considered a lower focused state? Was it confirmed that a guard stayed at his door the whole time? They might of just locked it and left him be (unless to bring him food). In fact that would make since, since he is "Alien" to them, they might of quarantined him off and kept others away while they studied his bio flora fauna to make sure he wasn't toxic to them. Or i could be completely off mark. Good food for thought tho.

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

Fireblade wrote:Yes, Beryl, I totally want to talk with your pet alien instead of sleeping.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

that is not a "good" look...

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

She looks extremely annoyed.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Fireblade: Either you shut him up, or I'LL shut him up.

Beryl: :shock:

Also, that picture would be the perfect meme face for '110% done with this shit.'

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

When the 'nam flashbacks hit you.