WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

SaintofM

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by SaintofM »

She looks uncomfortable. Think she's reliving her past?

I am also going to think Alex is going to go: Let sleeping crazy red heads lie.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

doesn't she "talk" in her sleep?

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

asaenvolk wrote:doesn't she "talk" in her sleep?
Yes, she does according to her GRUPS page.

I wonder how Alex will 'see' her when she does so.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

You know, her face looks quite different when not framed by her amplifier.

I imagine people will keep their distance from her lest she accidentally murder them in her sleep or something. (PTSD + combat telekinetic = why the heck is she on active combat duty?[\i])

I’m guessing Talon and Spiral will squidge up to keep warm, the others may not feel that comfortable.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

There's that Fireblade backstory people were looking for.

Werra

Post by Werra »

kiwi wrote:PTSD + combat telekinetic = why the heck is she on active combat duty?
Nine female births for every male one, a high tech society that has no use for menial labor, high competition for positions of authority, females fertile for centuries and children that go from cradle to cockpit in 12 years.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

Werra wrote:
kiwi wrote:PTSD + combat telekinetic = why the heck is she on active combat duty?
Nine female births for every male one, a high tech society that has no use for menial labor, high competition for positions of authority, females fertile for centuries and children that go from cradle to cockpit in 12 years.
+War of Extermination that will leave one side collecting unmeasurable wealth in resources, allies, and technology and the other a bad memory;+Live Fast Die Young with a potentially high mortality rate of wariors;+she's too good at what she does, let her take a few bugs with her.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Aha! So it is a connection for her amplifier!

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Werra wrote:
No use for menial labor? She could always go tribal. There's supposedly still enough of those to 'escape' civilization... provided the powers that be allow it of course.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

To note, I'm certain that Fireblade is not adversely affected by close contact... and I do not believe she holds any hatred for Alex... she is just doing her job as ordered. Her expressions usually remain rather neutral to Alex.. when Alex is not being intentionally provocative.

https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider091.html
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

CF2 wrote:Image

I fear it's not the amplifier, but a telepathic suppressor, to inhibit/dampen her PTSD dreams from being injected into her comrades during her sleep....

Poor Fireblade.

(but, mathematically, you're right. A suppression device is an amplifier. Amplifying to strenghts below 100%...)
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Krulle wrote:
CF2 wrote:Image

I fear it's not the amplifier, but a telepathic suppressor, to inhibit/dampen her PTSD dreams from being injected into her comrades during her sleep....

Poor Fireblade.

(but, mathematically, you're right. A suppression device is an amplifier. Amplifying to strenghts below 100%...)
I'm pretty sure the insider makes clear that the teidar device is there to amplify her powers beyond 100% of un-amplified, not a suppressor.

Arent

Post by Arent »

sunphoenix wrote:To note, I'm certain that Fireblade is not adversely affected by close contact... and I do not believe she holds any hatred for Alex... she is just doing her job as ordered. Her expressions usually remain rather neutral to Alex.. when Alex is not being intentionally provocative.

https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider091.html
Her character sheet mentions 'bloodlust', 'berserk' and being the silent type, so I would suspect she rather tends to concern herself with fighting and potentially views others as weak or inferior. Maybe, she doesn't hate Alex, but just feels her time would be better spend with other things than to keep watch over the ambassador of an inferior species or weak male.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

boldilocks wrote:
Krulle wrote:
CF2 wrote:[image removed for quote]

Poor Fireblade.

I'm pretty sure the insider makes clear that the teidar device is there to amplify her powers beyond 100% of un-amplified, not a suppressor.
The "connector" can support either. But Fireblade doesn't not seem proud to have to put this thing on, more like a child that has to wear braces, however uncool they are, and to put them on disconnects from the group by going in a corner and turning away.
She acts like a kid that has to do something most kids of her age would not have to do, but at the same time knows she has to, to avoid other consequences. (think of a six year old child still needing diapers at night, or the example of braces)
Trying to evade any mobbying and/or negative jokes that way, preemptively.

The situation to me looks more like a suppressor/damper for the night. Once she'll wear the amplifier, she will do so with pride, as that will make her stronger.

Well, if the panel is already coloured, the page won't let us wait for long. But I'll be on holidays next week, so I'll have to catch up afterwards....
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Werra

Post by Werra »

So Fireblade took of the amplifier to get out of her armour and now puts it back on. Is that right? Strange that she wears it even when she's about to relax. Especially when one considers the longterm health deficits prolonged wear causes.

Angry_Americanok

Post by Angry_Americanok »

I think she's putting it back on since she's in a confined space with a new, chatty, pink alien, and to make it worse she can't even tell what he's thinking or what his true intentions might be, no matter what he says they are. It'd be a basic precaution to keep her most direct offensive option at the ready in case he goes postal or something.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Krulle wrote:The "connector" can support either. But Fireblade doesn't not seem proud to have to put this thing on, more like a child that has to wear braces, however uncool they are, and to put them on disconnects from the group by going in a corner and turning away.
She acts like a kid that has to do something most kids of her age would not have to do, but at the same time knows she has to, to avoid other consequences.
Except her actions are pretty much in line with the typical Loroi behavior of avoiding direct physical contact with others. Why would she be any more proud of wearing it than she would be proud of wearing a weapon? And where exactly does she display this absence or presence of pride?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Werra wrote:So Fireblade took of the amplifier to get out of her armour and now puts it back on. Is that right? Strange that she wears it even when she's about to relax. Especially when one considers the longterm health deficits prolonged wear causes.
I suppose "relax" is a relative term. :D

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arioch wrote:
Werra wrote:So Fireblade took of the amplifier to get out of her armour and now puts it back on. Is that right? Strange that she wears it even when she's about to relax. Especially when one considers the longterm health deficits prolonged wear causes.
I suppose "relax" is a relative term. :D
This begs the question if the amplifier can be set to suppression mode as well. If so, that may be something Fireblade need to do if she really suffers from PTST and sanzai her nightmares. Harsh in that case if she then be forced to wear it practically at all times.

Werra

Post by Werra »

If the Loroi have the means to suppress their telepathy/telekinetics, then they shouldn't be surprised at all by the Umiak finding means to counteract the Farseers. With the capture of Loroi worlds, such a development would be only a question of time. It also puts Alex Lotai in a completely different light then.