171: Beef Stroganoff is NOT GOOD

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Ithekro

Re: 171: Beef Stroganoff is NOT GOOD

Post by Ithekro »

So they still haven't improved on rations.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Wow humanity is really boring

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

With a higher survival rate when graduating the military....
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

If he’s starving and can find hot water it’ll probably taste delicious. If made with cold water there may be no redemption.

Thinking about it, self heating ration packs may be a Bad Plan in a spacecraft because a) it’s extra weight that isn’t food and b) very small risk of the ration locker catching fire.

On coming of age rituals; there are a lot around, and some of them are still quite intense. Like tattooing, scarification, bungy jumping from wooden platform with vines tied to feet, and (noteworthy at least to a Loroi) drinking vast quantities of alcohol. There are also traditions like the Overseas Experience (OE) / gap year which are not super intense but do go on for a while.

I wonder what they will think about birthdays and big fancy weddings... and the fact that almost any human social celebration takes the form of a feast (Christmas, birthdays, weddings, wakes, etc.)

Edit: I knew there was a pun in there! “Beef stroganope.” Sorry not sorry.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

"Is it good"
"Not really"

I'm gonna say what every moral upstanding person on this forum is thinking. The wrong person survived.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

MRE still stands for Meals Rejected by Ethiopia I see.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I like beef stroganoff. But I doubt the version Alex is holding in his hand is among the finest examples of the dish.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Actually, why not? Has the TCA really skimped on food quality for the most important mission in human history?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Werra wrote:Actually, why not? Has the TCA really skimped on food quality for the most important mission in human history?
When you take all the water out of food to reduce its storage mass and irradiate it so that it won't rot, and mush it up so that it can be sucked through a straw... usually Michelin is going to remove your three-star rating.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:
Werra wrote:Actually, why not? Has the TCA really skimped on food quality for the most important mission in human history?
When you take all the water out of food to reduce its storage mass and irradiate it so that it won't rot, and mush it up so that it can be sucked through a straw... usually Michelin is going to remove your three-star rating.
Should have taken the pork if the usarmy plus time can't ruin that mre then the TCA ration should be okay

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:Wow humanity is really boring
There's a reason we humans try so hard to seek peaceful non-destructive ways to do things... even if we fail repeatedly. Its because WE know...
We're REALLY DAMNED GOOD at finding ways to KILL each other OR anything else that happens to encounter us!!!
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:Wow humanity is really boring
Humanity involves every individual culture that is or has been. For example, Spartan graduations were as "fun" as Loroi's.

Murph

Post by Murph »

I can feel for Alex. When I entered the Army I was eating the last of the Vietnam War "C-Rations", and the first generation of MREs. The "C-Rats" ranged from tolerable to downright nasty, the MREs went from not terribly bad, to reasonably palatable. Although the C-Ration pound cake was superb. Best thing ever put in a military ration.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Actual beef stroganoff MRE for reference.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

orion1836 wrote:[literal picture of beef stroganoff heaven]

Actual beef stroganoff MRE for reference.
Luxury!

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

Hey at least it was not the beef frankfurter meal. Those had such a funk to them that even your sweat smelled like them after eating them. Despite being someone who loves to eat meat, I'd happily trade those for any of the vegetarian MRE's offered when I was in.

Kensai

Post by Kensai »

Overkill Engine wrote:Hey at least it was not the beef frankfurter meal. Those had such a funk to them that even your sweat smelled like them after eating them. Despite being someone who loves to eat meat, I'd happily trade those for any of the vegetarian MRE's offered when I was in.
What?

You didn't like the Nitrate Tubes in Gel? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn sight better than Salt Brine with Ham Slice (or did I get that reversed? :?: ) when I was in back in 1990.

All joking aside, it took Natick a long time to fix Chicken Ala King/Chicken Lo Mein into something that *didn't* need Tabasco. Compared to the MREs that were around when I joined, the ones of today are almost all tastier- though there are a few that NEED to be heated in order to be palatable.

The tortellini is one of those. Ate one cold and I was like "Wow this sucks..."
The Philosophical Kensai

Still trying to master my craft...
As all Saints of the Sword do.

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

Ham Slice was better than the Beef Frankfurters when I was in back in late 90's. Barely. If you were able to heat it up enough.

Murph

Post by Murph »

I actually could tolerate the “four fingers of death”, and liked the meatballs in bbq sauce, and the chicken a la king (with Tabasco). The dehydrated beef and pork patties were barely edible. The c-ration tuna was awash in oil, the green eggs and ham was vile, just vile. The pork and beans was ok, but the spaghetti sometimes had huge chunks of fat in it. The spiced beef (aka alpo) sometimes had large veins and arteries in it.