Page 167: This one's out early

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

SaintofM

Re: Page 167: This one's out early

Post by SaintofM »

Probably that.

There might also be some antlers being locked here as well as those from different worlds and different colonies will have different views of each other and their accents.

City folk and country folk have been doing this for generations to eachother.

Just from being an American. I know Australia and Great Britain have many accents and not everyone will fit the cliche they are in, but regardless the British are seen as the height of sophistication while Australians are the real world equivalent of Catchens from 40k.

The English are easy to explain: They were the US's parent country prior declaring independence. Australia iis a mix of Crocodile Dundee, Crocodile Hunter, and the fact most animals there seem engineered to destroy humans (except the quokka and bearded dragons, and the parrots; they want to be your friends).

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

boldilocks wrote:Wouldn't fireblade be able to use pyrokinesis to heat up one of the steel walls inside the ship to act as a radiator, or would that be too taxing on her in the long run?
Pretty sure that would counteract the reason of hiding in that special room, behind the cryongenic fuel tank, which shields the heat emanated from living bodies from any cursorily scan by the Umiak.

So, even if she could do it (I would not know), I am very sure that Tempo and the rest would urge her to stop.
And while her telekinesis is unrivalled, against all of them she would have a very hard time to succeed....
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Krulle wrote:
boldilocks wrote:Wouldn't fireblade be able to use pyrokinesis to heat up one of the steel walls inside the ship to act as a radiator, or would that be too taxing on her in the long run?
Pretty sure that would counteract the reason of hiding in that special room, behind the cryongenic fuel tank, which shields the heat emanated from living bodies from any cursorily scan by the Umiak.

So, even if she could do it (I would not know), I am very sure that Tempo and the rest would urge her to stop.
And while her telekinesis is unrivalled, against all of them she would have a very hard time to succeed....
I thought when she talked of heat signatures she meant the ship systems, not the people inside, which seems like it would be insignificant in comparison.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

can Fireblade DO pyrokinesis? Because there is a vast difference between telekinesis and pyrokinesis. Sure, non-radiant heat is made up of vibrating atoms, and telekinesis is moving mater with your mind, these things things are a far cry from being the same thing. Try heating up a pipe by shaking it really hard.

Siber

Post by Siber »

can Fireblade DO pyrokinesis?
Yes.

If not explicitly stated anywhere else, it's on the GURPS character sheet for her in the insider.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

GeoModder wrote:
CrimsonFALKE wrote:Where does Beryl come from that those two are backwards savages?
Perhaps its a inferiority complex from her side. She's literally born in space and raised on a desolate desert world.

I guess but still she is getting really uppity

Luge

Post by Luge »

Siber wrote:
can Fireblade DO pyrokinesis?
Yes.

If not explicitly stated anywhere else, it's on the GURPS character sheet for her in the insider.
It's also been stated that while Fireblade is a particularly powerful psychic, she isn't particularly well-skilled at subtle manipulation tasks. So she could end up setting fire to the bedsheets.

L.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

Their package is getting cold (Humanity's higher body temperature would mean he'd feel it sooner). The pilots, guards, and diplomatic staff will need to protect the cargo for eventual delivery to a Loroi planet. The science staff will take reading of the endeavor for future reference.

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

If not explicitly stated anywhere else
Arioch even did the math about her boiling people brains in seconds. She can also heat metal to the point it becomes weak.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

@ pyrokinesis: It was on one of her Gurp Sheets he used to get an idea what she could do.

@ him getting cold: They don't have jackets or blankets on the shuttle? Or even if they have a lower body temperature, the space babes probably have a high enough one for snuggling for snuggling as a group to be an option. Garter snakes do it in Alaska in the winter, and some rattlesnakes do it in the colder parts of the United states south of Canada.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Instead of Charlie's Angels, it's Alex' Adders?

novius

Post by novius »

After all, Talon did suggest that they all "get cozy-like", though mainly for added comfort during a longer storytelling, she did come up with it when Alex mentioned the dropping temperature...

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

If GURPS is the standard Arioch is using.. Fireblade could kill Alex with Pyrokinesis.. in about 4 sec. He'd start taking internal heat stroke in about 2 sec.

In truth the thermal system shock would be almost certainly fatal long before he began to smoke or exhibit physical burns!

But in truth... she could almost literally crush him to death in one second with her telekinesis!

She is truly far more powerful than 'Carrie', but very near 'Firestarters' almost instant leathality.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

That pose is great! I'm half tempted to draw a picture of Talon and Spiral dressed up as magical girls. :lol:

I really like the character dynamics we're seeing. A lot of stories that deal with aliens will go out of their way to show how said alien race is different from humans by focusing on a single trait, but here we get to see some ways that different Loroi are different from each other. I love this sort of thing.

Also, I'm kind of impressed with Beryl. It seems she's working hard to try to decipher Alex's expression and mood when she can't use telepathy to know what he's thinking.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

That pose is great! I'm half tempted to draw a picture of Talon and Spiral dressed up as magical girls. :lol:

I really like the character dynamics we're seeing. A lot of stories that deal with aliens will go out of their way to show how said alien race is different from humans by focusing on a single trait, but here we get to see some ways that different Loroi are different from each other. I love this sort of thing.

Also, I'm kind of impressed with Beryl. It seems she's working hard to try to decipher Alex's expression and mood when she can't use telepathy to know what he's thinking.
So Sailor Mercury and and Jupiter? Fireblade is the only one with the hair for Mars or Venus

Murph

Post by Murph »

I am looking forward to some backstory on all of the Loroi. We have Alex's story, now we need some backstory from all his companions.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:I guess but still she is getting really uppity
That's hardly getting uppity, it's a science officer telling a foreign diplomat not to let the superstitions of the soldiery give him a false impression of the loroi as a culture.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

boldilocks wrote: That's hardly getting uppity, it's a science officer telling a foreign diplomat not to let the superstitions of the soldiery give him a false impression of the loroi as a culture.
Yay culture!

Little does Beryl know that hearing about a few minor superstitious traditions will make Alex more comfortable. Whereas when Talon et al. tell him about the totally normal and widely accepted (who knows what the civilian loroi think) diral training practices he's gonna get very uncomfortable.

The loroi might think it's strange that Alex's family might be unhappy that he signed up for a species-critical but very dangerous military career. That will be a test to see who's a flexible thinker...

novius

Post by novius »

kiwi wrote:
boldilocks wrote: That's hardly getting uppity, it's a science officer telling a foreign diplomat not to let the superstitions of the soldiery give him a false impression of the loroi as a culture.
Yay culture!

Little does Beryl know that hearing about a few minor superstitious traditions will make Alex more comfortable. Whereas when Talon et al. tell him about the totally normal and widely accepted (who knows what the civilian loroi think) diral training practices he's gonna get very uncomfortable.

The loroi might think it's strange that Alex's family might be unhappy that he signed up for a species-critical but very dangerous military career. That will be a test to see who's a flexible thinker...
I can't help but think Talon telling off Beryl had the subtext of "don't ruin it for all of us with your attempt at coddling him" - it might be a wake up call for all of them when Alex realizes that these ladies are, for all intents and purposes, kid soldiers. That ... may be hard to simply put down as a "Loroi thing", much harder than "some superstitions" as Beryl thinks.

On a broader scale, yes, many sci-fi works have the shortcoming of having a rather simplistic view on an alien species. In some cases it's warranted, for example, a human soldier would only see its counterpart on the battlefield, but even beyond that, many books and TV shows describe aliens compared to humans (how they differ, and then maybe a few defining traits, like militaristic, pacifist, highly intelligent, and so on), but rarely talk about individuals.

So yes, it's definitely refreshing to see that even the Loroi do have different views and even come from different walks in life. In addition, I'm pretty sure that there is another reason to this exercise, to make Alex see that these aliens are not all alike, far by not.

In the light of the construct's warning, he may come to think that not all Loroi would be untrustworthy. Or trustworthy. That he should use his own mind to see on a case by case basis.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

kid soldiers
Yes. Good point. They may be surprised at Alex’s reaction to their ages. Which could range from him looking serious but managing not to say anything all the way to...

Beryl: “It was strange. When he heard about the diral and the fighter wing, he cried and apologised to us.”