WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

boldilocks

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by boldilocks »

I think the cylindrical shape is part of Beryl's uniform, not something she's holding.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

FUCK YES WE GONNA GET SOME TEASIN'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIhhNQPm73g

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Blue! Green!
Super-Sentai warriors, assemble!

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

Well, I think subtlety will be thrown out the window soon. If anything else, Alex seems the least guarded around those two.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

SaintofM wrote:Well, I think subtlety will be thrown out the window soon. If anything else, Alex seems the least guarded around those two.
Could be that they're telling alex about them being part of the same child group, which is why they're pointing to their identical tattoos.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

Talon seems more pleased and natural.

Spiral seems flirty, even if she's doing it unconsciously. But on the other hand...she's a combat pilot. If Loroi combat pilots are like Human combat pilots....yeah. Bold.

Luge

Post by Luge »

Knowing that Arioch is a Homeworld fan...

Homeworld: Cataclysm - Somtaaw "Seeker" Reconnaissance Fighter
As a result of the fact that most recon patrols require spending long periods of time in a small cockpit, many Seekers pilots are young, single women of smaller stature. This has led to deep recon missions being referred to as "Heartbreak Patrols"…but whether this is more to do with the stress they put on fledgling relationships or the disruptions caused by these pilots making up for lost time upon their return is not known.
L.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

I just realized something: that's beryl and Spiral in the original poster. Are they going to get into a girl fight over a male?

Is this normal for the blue girls when a highly valued male is around? Is this the real reason males aren't on the front lines? Is alex going to see if they saved a bag of popcorn for the inevitable?

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

Oddly the two shoulder to shoulder somehow reminds me of Jem and the Holograms. Its probably the hair and face tattoo. Their hair isn't big enough for 80's style glam-rock, but somehow it triggers some very old memories. Though it may be the lips as well.

DCR

Post by DCR »

Looking forward to more culture specifics! Not up on my alium alphabet - are the tattoos any particular letter or number?

edit: Know answer's probably coming in the comic, but hate waiting to find out things that snag my curiosity...

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Ithekro wrote:Oddly the two shoulder to shoulder somehow reminds me of Jem and the Holograms. Its probably the hair and face tattoo. Their hair isn't big enough for 80's style glam-rock, but somehow it triggers some very old memories. Though it may be the lips as well.
They're grouped up like a character reveal in an anime opening.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Ithekro wrote:Oddly the two shoulder to shoulder somehow reminds me of Jem and the Holograms. Its probably the hair and face tattoo. Their hair isn't big enough for 80's style glam-rock, but somehow it triggers some very old memories. Though it may be the lips as well.

Spiral and Talon's hair might not be, but Fireblade's certainly is!

novius

Post by novius »

SaintofM wrote:I just realized something: that's beryl and Spiral in the original poster. Are they going to get into a girl fight over a male?
Not as much. They are more in disagreement over the right way to treat a male. Beryl seems to favor the "coddle and tuck them away safely" type, but Talon is - interestingly enough - more open minded and ready to see Alex eye to eye.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

novius wrote:...They are more in disagreement over the right way to treat a male. Beryl seems to favor the "coddle and tuck them away safely" type, but Talon is - interestingly enough - more open minded and ready to see Alex eye to eye.
Yes, that is interesting. We've seen a variety of approaches, including Tempo's diplomatic treatment and Stillstorm's 'take it out the back and shoot it.' I guess Beryl wants Alex safe and sound so a) she can complete an important assignment and b) she can (cheerfully) squeeze as much information out of him as possible.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Based on the latest background posted, we might get to see tiny versions of Spiral and Talon.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

THe current pic on the wip thread is a fire with a gorgeous skyline, so are they going t whip out the equivalent of marshmallows, or are they going to do something to keep their pink friend warm?

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

SaintofM wrote:THe current pic on the wip thread is a fire with a gorgeous skyline, so are they going t whip out the equivalent of marshmallows, or are they going to do something to keep their pink friend warm?
It's a reference to the Diral-seii coming of age ceremony in which it is thrown into a bonfire and retrieved by the leader of the group.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

(to keep with good practice of copying a link to the image here)

Story time!
Indeed looks like a part of the story of how the diral succeeded....
I wonder if the enthusiastic telepathic storytelling also helps in conveying these pictures to Alex, subconsciously or otherwise....
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Murph

Post by Murph »

This is the sort of thing I am looking forward to, Loroi backstory. I especially want to hear Fireblades backstory.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Murph wrote:This is the sort of thing I am looking forward to, Loroi backstory. I especially want to hear Fireblades backstory.
I take dibs of her not saying a word about it. :P