I think there is more to come

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

SaintofM

Re: I think there is more to come

Post by SaintofM »

Beryl: Hooking up with Alex For Science.

In all seriousness, i am not sure if we see it if so it will be any time soon. At least not with observers watching. Anytime Beryle asks an intimate question or gets in his personal space he looks like he's got a blaster pointed at his head

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Lest a strawman get constructed here, I point out that the concerns a few of us have with the "romance" angle is in relation to the forum discussions, not the comic. I don't think anyone is saying the comic is moving in an erotic direction.

And there is reasonable, good commentary and speculation on this forum. I was only posting my feelings toward distracting and unfounded speculations of a more sexualized and at times puerile nature.

Thank you for splitting this topic off.

CJSF

Murph

Post by Murph »

Not claiming that there would be *ahem* adult content, I just said that there would be a kiss. I think that Beryl might want to get closer that way to see if she can "read" Alex.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Murph wrote:Not claiming that there would be *ahem* adult content, I just said that there would be a kiss. I think that Beryl might want to get closer that way to see if she can "read" Alex.
Why would she have a concept of kissing when touching someone's hands among loroi is likely more intense and intimate than touching lips is to humans.
Lips may be one of our most sensitive organs, and they might also be so among loroi, but do the loroi really care enough to consider kissing particularily intimate if just touching is far more so?

Murph

Post by Murph »

I don’t know, but Arioch drew it, so it must be going to happen.....

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Murph wrote:I don’t know, but Arioch drew it, so it must be going to happen.....
I just threw my hands up so high they are likely to come down sometime in 2028.

CJSF

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Krulle wrote:
dragoongfa wrote:
Krulle wrote:Ellen was more than just a friend, but they were also not in a commited relationship.
I don't think that's confirmed in the comic or by Arioch, some fanfics have dwelled on it.
Oh, sorry. My bad. Must've mixed something up in my mind.
I don't recall whether I've actually said that or not, but it happens to be correct. And no, Alex is not gay.
Krulle wrote:But we do know from Arioch, that this comic will not turn "that" way.
He will neither show nor hint at inter-species physical relationships.
(Which is one of the reasons why I continue reading, an important one.
If I would want to be reading smut, I w/could find better suited comics in these interwebs.)
As I've said before, I've placed a rating of PG-13 on the comic, which reflects the kinds of things you'll see in it. There will not be graphic depictions of sexual activity.

That means exactly what it says; no more, no less.
Murph wrote:I don’t know, but Arioch drew it, so it must be going to happen.....
The "kiss" image was for a Valentine's Day project; it does not depict an actual scene from the comic.

Again, that means exactly what it says; no more, no less.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Arioch wrote: I don't recall whether I've actually said that or not, but it happens to be correct. And no, Alex is not gay.
Bigot!

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

It's OK to be straight.

Let the triggering begin...

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

I think boldilocks was joking... and I can see that you’re poking fun ... it can be so hard to tell to tell with text

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Unfortunately, in this day and age, it's not OK to be anything.

StarCruiser

Post by StarCruiser »

I know it's not related to this story line/universe but... "Infinite Diversity, in Infinite Combinations" comes to mind...

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

If anything else, it might be a good look at the clashing ideologies of romance.

Its been a while since I read the Loroi page, but they really don't ave a concept of romantic love. Lust, attachment, but unless humanity rubs off on them, note love in the conventional sense of the word.

That and we don't know what the after effects would be. Assuming it can be tactfully done, the after effects. Will either one find they are allergic to the ther species. Will one be more intense in lovemaking than the other. Will one's libedo be Glen Quagmire in comparison to the other's?

Will a Umiak walk in, scan the situation for five seconds then excuse themselves with an apology?"

novius

Post by novius »

SaintofM wrote:Its been a while since I read the Loroi page, but they really don't ave a concept of romantic love. Lust, attachment, but unless humanity rubs off on them, note love in the conventional sense of the word.
It's more on the level of "Remember last year? I wouldn't mind a repeat performance".

Loroi may feel some sort of affection to each other, but it is not that all-consuming need that is portrayed in romance novels, far by not. Especially since any sort of pair bonding is heavily frowned upon in Loroi culture, regardless of gender, and only really high ranking or revered Loroi could actually play favourites.

Though, interestingly, it is less the pair bonding itself that is contemptible in Loroi culture, but the side effect of excluding everyone else. But, even what humans call "open relationships" would definitely be considered fringe behaviour with Loroi at the very least.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

If I recall from one of the insider pages, more monogamous relationships happen, but they are looked down upon and cause social issues in a race with such gender disparity in numbers.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Requests by loroi to visit the same male multiple times is viewed with suspicion because it might indicate obsession, which is detrimental to a society where a male is required to inseminate multiple females.
Though I suppose if it's a high pedigree male it might be more expected and less suspicious.