Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Sweforce

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Sweforce »

orion1836 wrote:He finds out that Umiak taste like lobster when you take out the cyborg bits.
And then we find out the real reason why the war started. :D

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Sweforce wrote:
orion1836 wrote:He finds out that Umiak taste like lobster when you take out the cyborg bits.
And then we find out the real reason why the war started. :D
"Pop a poppler in your mouth..."

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

orion1836 wrote: He finds out that Umiak taste like lobster when you take out the cyborg bits.
That was my headcanon, when I played StarCraft 1 at school - zergs taste like lobsters. :lol:

Murph

Post by Murph »

I'll bet that it is the Loroi equivalent of Limburger cheese....

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

Fireblade: Today's lesson on how to make the most of your dead enemy's corpse, we will learn how to pressure cook a Umiak thigh. Pinky, get over here and hand me that cleaver...the big one...the bigger one...get me the bigger one or I go in your head again.

Murph

Post by Murph »

Perhaps this has been asked, but what about the other four ships? Could one of them have stumbled onto the Umiak? Could one of them come in to the southern border of the Loroi and they already know about Earth? At some point they have to make some sort of contact unless the other four are support ships only and the Bellarmine is the only scout.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Murph wrote:Perhaps this has been asked, but what about the other four ships? Could one of them have stumbled onto the Umiak? Could one of them come in to the southern border of the Loroi and they already know about Earth? At some point they have to make some sort of contact unless the other four are support ships only and the Bellarmine is the only scout.
No, there were four scouts and one support ship, and the whereabouts of the other three scouts are unknown to us.

I doubt one of the other scouts could have reached the southern Union border though. 10-15 jumps (translates roughly to 40-60 lightyears) can't be enough to cross outside Loroi -and Umiak borders to the south (I assume the Maiad sector).

Murph

Post by Murph »

GeoModder wrote:
Murph wrote:Perhaps this has been asked, but what about the other four ships? Could one of them have stumbled onto the Umiak? Could one of them come in to the southern border of the Loroi and they already know about Earth? At some point they have to make some sort of contact unless the other four are support ships only and the Bellarmine is the only scout.
No, there were four scouts and one support ship, and the whereabouts of the other three scouts are unknown to us.

I doubt one of the other scouts could have reached the southern Union border though. 10-15 jumps (translates roughly to 40-60 lightyears) can't be enough to cross outside Loroi -and Umiak borders to the south (I assume the Maiad sector).
Yes but we are still missing those ships. The area is so large, they have to make contact of some sort.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Murph wrote:
GeoModder wrote:

Yes but we are still missing those ships. The area is so large, they have to make contact of some sort.
Given the nature of the strip so far, I'd suspect that the others were similarly ambushed as Bellarmine was, but had no last second implausible rescue of anyone.

CJSF

Werra

Post by Werra »

It doesn't look like Bellarmine was ambushed. She was only fired upon after she tried making contact. Their adversary seemed as surprised as the Bellarmine.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Werra wrote:It doesn't look like Bellarmine was ambushed. She was only fired upon after she tried making contact. Their adversary seemed as surprised as the Bellarmine.
Hmm.. You may be right, of course. I always just assumed that it was waiting for them. It seems to fit the story better in my head, and having all the scout ships/crews destroyed does create an avenue in the story for Alex to be the only representative of humanity involved (which rather seemed the point of the whole comic).

CJSF

Murph

Post by Murph »

But I guess we will never know at this point.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

It could be that the ship which ambushed the Bellarmine was trying to observe them from what they thought was a safe distance, with plenty of confidence in their ability to hide, and were surprised when they got discovered. But there's no indication that the Terran sensors are particularly advanced, so that seems like a possible but unlikely scenario.

Werra

Post by Werra »

The second salvo also only came when Alex made that comm call to the Lieutenant(?). Could be a coincidence, but to me it all strongly indicates that their assailants desperately wanted to remain hidden from the combatants.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Werra wrote:The second salvo also only came when Alex made that comm call to the Lieutenant(?). Could be a coincidence, but to me it all strongly indicates that their assailants desperately wanted to remain hidden from the combatants.
I'm not sure that they're mutually exclusive, depending on the attacking ship's capabilities.

CJSF

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Werra wrote:The second salvo also only came when Alex made that comm call to the Lieutenant(?). Could be a coincidence, but to me it all strongly indicates that their assailants desperately wanted to remain hidden from the combatants.
Its more likely the assailants were just hitting the biggest pieces again.

Murph

Post by Murph »

GeoModder wrote:
Its more likely the assailants were just hitting the biggest pieces again.
Could it be that the assailants were the Historians?

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
Murph wrote:Could it be that the assailants were the Historians?
It's a popular theory, and there's certainly no concrete evidence to suggest they didn't. There's really not a whole lot of evidence one way or another, but the Historians do seem pretty paranoid, and it's hard not to feel likewise in return.

The big unanswered question usually boils down to: "Why?"

Werra

Post by Werra »

It seems to be a ship that wants to remain hidden from both sides. One more Umiak ship wouldn't make a difference to the Loroi and the Umiak wouldn't much care about a Loroi affiliated one either.

Personally I believe a yet unknown species send out that ship.
SpoilerShow
Mostly because I predict the Bellarmines data to be key in the investigation and the Historian to be the one digging it out of there.
We'll see in the 40s.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

Well a hidden Umiak ship would be motivated to prevent a strange ship hailing the Loroi and tipping their hand and letting the Loroi knowing they were there, even if they were planning on showing themselves soon, never tip you hand too soon.