WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arent

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Arent »

Dorfington wrote:A gift for the handshake eh? Looks like Cloud thinks Alex is one of them no money no hand-honey types :lol:

Or perhaps she want's to show Alex the Loroi way of greeting/bonding? Combing each others hair.
Either his hair is a mess or it's common for loroi to gift men diamonds and neglaces :mrgreen:

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Do Loroi have lice, by the way?

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

She may think that Spiral Gave him something to hold onto after a handshake perhaps she is just trying imperfectly to emulate the gesture?
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

sunphoenix wrote:She may think that Spiral Gave him something to hold onto after a handshake perhaps she is just trying imperfectly to emulate the gesture?
She's not some doe-eyed simpleton. Besides, Spiral gave the diral blade to him beforehand, as she was getting ready to get her flight suit off.

CJSF

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

raistlin34 wrote:Do Loroi have lice, by the way?
I would hope that TL10+ medical technology could deal with ordinary parasites, and that members of the military would have regular checkups.

I'm sure there are various local pest problems on various planets, but I don't think we would see much of that out in the fleet.

EdwardSteed

Post by EdwardSteed »

sunphoenix wrote:She may think that Spiral Gave him something to hold onto after a handshake perhaps she is just trying imperfectly to emulate the gesture?
cacambo43 wrote:She's not some doe-eyed simpleton. Besides, Spiral gave the diral blade to him beforehand, as she was getting ready to get her flight suit off.
I don't think she needs to be stupid, it actually makes some sense. For some cultural background there is this from the insider:
There will certainly be an industry around the "red light districts" in which the mating encounters happen. Though I think the emphasis will usually be on an upscale experience, since everything is very official and sanctioned, and most of the clients will be of high social status. I imagine something like the Japanese hanamachi districts in which the courtesans were quartered: very ornate and expensive, and surrounded with much ceremony. It's possible that some mating rituals might involve the females bringing ritual gifts, but since neither party chooses his or her partner, I doubt such gifting has reached the industrial levels it has in Western society.
I can certainly imagine a preconceived cultural bias that makes her see Spiral freely letting Alex hold something of great importance to Spiral and assuming it's part of the greeting ritual. Combining it with her Loroi knowledge she might assume that if you want to show proper respect when meeting a human male (remember that to her being allowed access to a male is a special privilege) you should provide this kind of symbolic gift where he follows a ritual of holding it and then choosing to return it before she can proceed to touch him (very intimate act).

And to her Reed may have come off as greeting Alex in a more jarhead like 'wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am' way and she prefers to do it the dignified manner as she's not some security detail grunt.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Considering the environment Perrein, I would think they'd need to be able to deal with all kinds of parasites, probably much more insidious than lice.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

Considering the environment Perrein, I would think they'd need to be able to deal with all kinds of parasites, probably much more insidious than lice.
Space Crabs.

She's likely being considerate, either for her own culture, or how she's perceiving Human culture with limited knowledge and only recent visual guidance.

Least it isn't shoes this time.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

I think Beryls already won this competition by finding some ration packs.

But shoes would have been very welcome on a chilly alien ship. Especially as the floor of the brig almost certainly isn’t carpeted.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

"Here, clean yourself up, for pity's sake."

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I'm not sure what kind of hygiene Alex was allowed to practice while in solitary confinement for days on end, but he probably could use a clean up by now.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

Honestly, the whole thing DOES have an air of some from of censorship ritual. That doesn't mean that it is, but that one could conceive of the possibility.

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

icekatze wrote:I'm not sure what kind of hygiene Alex was allowed to practice while in solitary confinement for days on end, but he probably could use a clean up by now.
He was allowed to wash and relieve himself, as long he was "observed" during the process.

Mithramuse

Post by Mithramuse »

Ithekro wrote:

Space Crabs.
Nah... Space Herpes. :lol:

(From The Ice Pirates, for those not in the know, though Googling for an image apparently space travel actually does trigger dormant herpes viruses in people... interesting.

Oh, short YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-me2inj1nNw :lol: )

--Mithramuse

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

Mithramuse wrote:
Ithekro wrote:

Space Crabs.
Nah... Space Herpes. :lol:

(From The Ice Pirates, for those not in the know, though Googling for an image apparently space travel actually does trigger dormant herpes viruses in people... interesting.

Oh, short YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-me2inj1nNw :lol: )

--Mithramuse
That movie is great, needs to get more love.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

I'm not sure what kind of hygiene Alex was allowed to practice while in solitary confinement for days on end, but he probably could use a clean up by now.
This begs the question about his underwear, if he only got one set, what do he wear when it's in the cleaner? They managed to clean his coverall after all but he got a t-shirt and some briefs as well.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

Sweforce wrote:

This begs the question about his underwear, if he only got one set, what do he wear when it's in the cleaner? They managed to clean his coverall after all but he got a t-shirt and some briefs as well.
Do i have to do the Fred quote from Big Hero 6 that Takashi says is both Awesome and disgusting?

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Sweforce wrote:
Well.. The pilots have already lent him a spare flight suit..
Im sure they can extend that courtesy...

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Sweforce wrote:This begs the question about his underwear, if he only got one set, what do he wear when it's in the cleaner? They managed to clean his coverall after all but he got a t-shirt and some briefs as well.
Assuming he didn't just go commando until his cosmo-nickers were returned from cleaning, maybe Beryl made another Fireblade-sized guess.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Ha-chaa! Bedroom eyes! Poor Alex {lucky bastard}.. the hottie blue space-elf women are starting to scheme! :lol:

PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."