What does YOUR Name Mean?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

CF2

Re: What does YOUR Name Mean?

Post by CF2 »

Hālian wrote:I find very hilarious that Beryl's name sounds like Eilis that pronounced like Alice name. So she is technically Alice.
Or it could be mistaken for the surname Ellis.[/quote]

Cue the Alice in wonderland jokes.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

There was a crossover fanfic, where Beryl meets Alice from Bulychov's series.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

SVlad wrote:There was a crossover fanfic, where Beryl meets Alice from Bulychov's series.
With illustrations, too. https://www.deviantart.com/koori101/gallery/

GabrielGABFonseca

Post by GabrielGABFonseca »

Hi, I'm the Divine Messenger of the Dead Spring, nice to meet you.

There are a few different ways to interpret my name. My first name can be either the literal, original Hebrew meaning of "God is My Hero", or what I consider the more appropriate form, some sort of divine/heavenly "Messenger" or "Courrier".

My last name is derived from the Latin Fons Siccus, meaning a dried out spring, usually attributed to those who lived near one such feature. With a little freedom of interpretation, it can be taken as "A body of water that flows no more". One valid translation of the name into english could be "Deadbrook", which honestly sounds extremely pulp-y. Since I'm not ready yet to become a cynical private detective, another alternative is to go with either "Spring" or "River".

For the sake of simplicity, I've omitted my other three middle names, because nobody has time for that.
Tauntingly: "Enzin tii Eilis mé sibreg ranii tó lanzedad..."

Codius_Dak

Post by Codius_Dak »

Warrior/helper from the Rhine
Hope is renewed by the brilliant dawn.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Swindle1984 wrote:Since we're on the subject of names, I found something curious: despite being pretty famous in Nordic and Germanic folklore, and once having been a very popular girl's name, Gunnhilda (Gonnhildr, Gunhildr, and various other variations) no longer appears to exist as a name. According to statistics on how popular a given name is, they couldn't find a single instance of anyone currently alive having that name.

I guess I can fix that if I ever have a daughter; it is a pretty cool name. One I suspect the Loroi would find pleasing.
"Gunilla" are common enough here in Sweden thou. It may be another derivation.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

SVlad wrote:
Zarya wrote:Check, Sasha is short for Alexander or Alexandra.
Had a ‘wait, what?’ moment upon first hearing that.
Had same feeling when learnt that Dick = Richard and Bill = William.
Zarya wrote:I imagine this could be whispered in Alex’s ear by Beryl in the Russian translation of the comic
It is very unlikely because Beryl has no way to know alternate forms of Alex's name.

I find very hilarious that Beryl's name sounds like Eilis that pronounced like Alice name. So she is technically Alice.
If she get a chance to take a stab at a human database she figure it out soon enough.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

SVlad wrote:
Zarya wrote:Check, Sasha is short for Alexander or Alexandra.
Had a ‘wait, what?’ moment upon first hearing that.
Had same feeling when learnt that Dick = Richard and Bill = William.
Zarya wrote:I imagine this could be whispered in Alex’s ear by Beryl in the Russian translation of the comic
It is very unlikely because Beryl has no way to know alternate forms of Alex's name.

I find very hilarious that Beryl's name sounds like Eilis that pronounced like Alice name. So she is technically Alice.
If she get a chance to take a stab at a human database she figure it out soon enough.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

IIRC "Will to Win"

GrandAdmiralFox

Post by GrandAdmiralFox »

So...

First: High Mountain/Exalted
Middle: Twin
Last: Newcomer/New Man

... so High Mountain Twin Newcomer or Exalted Twin New Man?

How is that supposed to work?

Then again, my dad wanted me to be named Wolfgang (Wolf Path/Path of the Wolf), as in Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart...

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

My RL name would translate into "Goddess of the shabby and unkempt", because technically my first name is God, but in the feminine form (its a family name soooo)

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

asaenvolk wrote:My RL name would translate into "Goddess of the shabby and unkempt", because technically my first name is God, but in the feminine form (its a family name soooo)
As long as there wasn't a generation where literally every first-born son and/or daughter received the same first name, I think you're fine. My bunch did that, and all moved into the same town. We have no idea who some of the kids are supposed to be the child of, because everyone's named the same, and a few kids got swapped around when their parents were short on food, or money, or maybe someone else needed a live-in babysitter, and there were so many of us there that they named the town after us.

Ask for John (or maybe it was Robert?) in a restaurant, and half the room turns around as one...

Angle

Post by Angle »

'Watchful Shepherd, Big Tailor'. Hmm. Not really a warrior name, but I guess I could try and spin it that way. XD