Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Page 154: Run attachment? Y/N

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:Pad CXII ?

Does that mean its an emergency pad? :mrgreen:
I don't follow.
Or is this the Hercules joke? In that case it would be IXII.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

???

Oh, googled it a bit... IX-I-I is much clearer than IXII....

Anyway, 112 (C=100, X=10, II=2) is there, which is the European Emergency Number, corresponding to the 911 for the US.
But it seems to be accidental.
112th version of the Pad...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:
GeoModder wrote:Pad CXII ?

Does that mean its an emergency pad? :mrgreen:
I don't follow.
Or is this the Hercules joke? In that case it would be IXII.
If I know my Roman numerals correctly, CXII is 112, the international emergency number for cellphones.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:If I know my Roman numerals correctly, CXII is 112, the international emergency number for cellphones.
Didn't know that.

HedAurabesh

Post by HedAurabesh »

Errhile wrote:So... a Historian (assumed) TL12 computer (AI-capable one) making short work of a Human TL 9 pad? I believe it to be a safe bet. Very safe bet, if we compare the ordinary TL 7 computers we're using to write on this forum to what was available at TL 4. If memory serves me, the common computing device of that time was still an abacus (a very useful and versatile tool in a skilled user's hands), with slide ruler being pretty much cutting edge and requiring some advanced knowledge to operate effectively.
While mechanical analog computers existed before that, they tended to be very purpose-specific (orreries, astrolabes) and not really common...
Putting all suspension of disbelief aside (since reality makes for boring storytelling for 99% of most people's lifes)...

... an Abacus is amazingly secure to a modern computer. Literally nothing that computer can do can alter the value of that abacus -- short of being connected to a robotic arm.
Similarly, an analog relay, or semi-analog vacuum tube computer is also pretty secure. Nothing short of intense, directed radiation is going to affect the latter and the former would need a nearby Tesla Coil discharge to be even slightly perturbed in its workings.

So from a reality standpoint: Unless that wireless switch was overly complicated in design (as the simplest such switches simply cut the power to the relevant radio chips), you'd need remote matter manipulation to make that Pad receive data. That, or very precise electro magnetic radiation for writing directly into the storage; unless that one is optical.

That said, we know too little about the intrusion capabilities of more advanced computers yet, to guess at what would be needed to compromise stuff like quantum computers.

Of course, since the physics in Outside run at the speed of plot, all these considerations are nearly meaningless to the comic. :lol:

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I still seem to recall hearing that humanity has relatively advanced computers, compared to the rest of the tech level disparity. Still, while broadcasting and receiving are two different things, my assumption would be that the Historian construct had some interaction with the device previously when the Loroi were experimenting on it.

If the Historian construct left itself a backdoor, then it's entirely possible that there is a software component to leaving the receiver on while the broadcaster is off.

adamcf0bae

Post by adamcf0bae »

Alex trusts Historian the Grouch too easily methinks.
SpoilerShow
Historian can casually manipulate computer systems, would that include flight data recorders?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

And sensor data, especially if the sensor data has not yet reached any computing/storage facilities...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195