Page 153: You've got Mail!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

novius

Re: Page 153: You've got Mail!

Post by novius »

Another thing comes to my mind.

Neither Beryl nor Talon seemed to have noticed the "stowaway". Did they just assume that the AI was supposed to come along or were they all too distracted by Alex's presence? :)

Though, in all fairness, Alex himself did notice the projector can just now, after it made its presence known.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Werra wrote:Aw yeah, bromance initiated. What are the chances that the Historians are actually chill dudes who don't plan on betraying anyone?
Ah ha ha ha ha! :lol:

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

raistlin34 wrote:Will be one of those cryptic messages about "nothing is what it seems", "don´t trust anyone" or "your cellphone could be a Decepticon in disguise" which usually leaves the protagonist in full paranoid mode? :mrgreen:
"Dude how do I buy more gold for Bejewel Battlefield 2044?"

Kava

Post by Kava »

Getting a message on a human device seems pretty suspicious, although I suppose the trashcan could have had time to study the pad while no one was looking.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

folti wrote:
novius wrote:Still I think a full-fledged AI would need more processing power than a mobile device which is just designed to display data and be connected to a remote server would offer.
Nothing would stop it to send only a cut down version of itself though, that can fit and run on the device at a reasonable speed.
It may not be using processors as we understand them today. For all we know it uses a quantum state to 'process' its 'routines'.

folti

Post by folti »

GeoModder wrote:
folti wrote:
novius wrote:Still I think a full-fledged AI would need more processing power than a mobile device which is just designed to display data and be connected to a remote server would offer.
Nothing would stop it to send only a cut down version of itself though, that can fit and run on the device at a reasonable speed.
It may not be using processors as we understand them today. For all we know it uses a quantum state to 'process' its 'routines'.
That's not going to stop it from working out how human computers work, and create a very cut down version of itself. After all, per the Insider, it's very flexible on what kind of hardware it can inhabit.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Voitan wrote:
raistlin34 wrote:Will be one of those cryptic messages about "nothing is what it seems", "don´t trust anyone" or "your cellphone could be a Decepticon in disguise" which usually leaves the protagonist in full paranoid mode? :mrgreen:
"Dude how do I buy more gold for Bejewel Battlefield 2044?"
It could be an internal loroi message.

"At ease, soldier. Handsome lonely houseboys in your sector are looking for dutiful and efficient loroi service-members to vigorously and passionately inseminate... reply to this bulletin with your rank and servicenumber for immediate chat access to these cute and emotionally generous men."

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Spam on the battlefield?

Wouldn't be the first time for Humanity....

(Hell, in western Germany, Niederrhein region, there's even a saying that originates from unsollicited advertisements of a sexual nature near battlefields.
"Mach keine Fisimatenten!")
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Chekist_Felix

Post by Chekist_Felix »

I just can't unsee in my head big gloving animated banner "Eight HOT singles warriors near YOU want to meet!". :lol:
My literacy is cringe-fest... Apologies for what you're about to read.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I don't think that would attract.
Remember, the Loroi warriors are all female, and there's a general preference for the weak males they can take care of.

Hot HOUSEMEN in your neighbourhood!
FREE registration!

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

If I remember from earlier discussions on the forums, human computer technology is relatively quite advanced, given the otherwise large disparity in technology.

Humans may not have had any reason to develop bleeding edge warships, but we've been making more powerful computers for a long while.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Krulle wrote:I don't think that would attract.
Remember, the Loroi warriors are all female, and there's a general preference for the weak males they can take care of.

FREE registration!
"Oh no, this male has fallen an he can't get up! And he spilled a whole bowl of sweet molasses all over his slender body! Are you warrior enough to get him cleaned up for the big bake-off?

Click here to see more!"

Chekist_Felix

Post by Chekist_Felix »

Krulle wrote:I don't think that would attract.

FREE registration!
I meant message on Alex PDA, but that's true... however i think individual loroi can have preferences and, who know, fetishes. ;)
My literacy is cringe-fest... Apologies for what you're about to read.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Spam. Spam never changes.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Oh. But there's spam with ham.
Spam without ham.
Spam with Sauce.
[spam]

[/spam]

HedAurabesh

Post by HedAurabesh »

Krulle wrote:(Hell, in western Germany, Niederrhein region, there's even a saying that originates from unsollicited advertisements of a sexual nature near battlefields.
"Mach keine Fisimatenten!")
Sidenote - It seems as if the etymology of the term is marching on, though: Wikipedia | Fisimatenten.

Shows that language scientists will take the fun out of everything, eventually. :D

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Yeah, I noticed. The German and the English wikipedia pages said different things on the day I posted though...

Visite ma tente just sounds so much like it...
Visite ma tante too.
And seeing how often the Niederrhein region was occupied by French troops, it's still possible.
Maybe the word etymology is elsewhere, but the French occupations increased the word's usage again, before the word got forgotten...
The truth is likely somewhere in the middle.... Or completely elsewhere.

I still like the word, though. Because my Bavarian colleagues don't know it (which may be an indication that the word has become popular through the French occupations, although the Bavarians had their own issues with the French)...

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

In 2001 when page 8 was first created, there was no such thing as an iPad (or an iPhone), and what we now call a tablet was called a PDA, and the most popular one was by a company called Palm that no one has heard of anymore.[/quote]
I remember the palm damn I feel like a Boomer. Still why does it want to be in a dated device unless it needs some bro time with Alex.[/quote]

Still I think a full-fledged AI would need more processing power than a mobile device which is just designed to display data and be connected to a remote server would offer.

Though, at the "angry walk out" of the AI in http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider065.html it said they'll "speak again, soon enough" - it's reasonable to assume that it planned its actions from the very start, and that includes scanning and downloading data from all functional human equipment while still residing on the Tempest.[/quote]

Lovely I wonder what the thing will do with the knowledge of spam mail.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

CrimsonFALKE wrote: Lovely I wonder what the thing will do with the knowledge of spam mail.
Will probably try to pass off as a Historian prince wanting to secure a refuge for their very large cache of Historian technology

Werra

Post by Werra »

Find it's true calling as a composer of unoffensive, yet aggravating elevator songs.