Page 133: "Will you permit it?"

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

boldilocks

Re: Page 133: "Will you permit it?"

Post by boldilocks »

Zarya wrote:This page might be a prelude to a kiss?
"Perhaps if I stick my tongue in your ear, captain Jardin, it might improve our telepathic connection?"

Alex' humor in this instance actually seems more natural for him than the stiff diplomatic approach he took during his official meeting on the bridge, at least if you compare with his earlier behavior aboard the bellarmine. (And at the academy)

Sir_Lysander

Post by Sir_Lysander »

Zarya wrote:This page might be a prelude to a kiss?
Given the (left) hand placement, it almost looks like he's subconsciously tugging at his turtleneck...

Arent

Post by Arent »

Luge wrote:I have to be honest, I'm rather "meh" about this new page. Actually, compared to the last half a dozen which were really good, I don't like it at all.

Alex calling out Talon for trying to impress him seems out of character, particularly since this isn't the time for needless distractions. Him then calling Talon "pottymouth" seems out of place as well. I've yet to meet either a military person or a professional sailor who isn't used to a bit of swearing. Plus, Talon is swearing in Trade which, as a diplomatic language, isn't going to have the same impact in terms of foul language

Why should Beryl say sorry for putting Alex in danger? She didn't do anything. She'd be more likely to say "I apologise for the inconvenience while we deal with this situation, Captain".
I have the impression the story is slightly "anime" influenced and not to be taken serious at all times. Already the setting of an empire of teenage girls would be awesome for the next anime blockbuster. But I guess Square Enix or Ghibli won't contact Arioch ;)

novius

Post by novius »

Luge wrote:I have to be honest, I'm rather "meh" about this new page. Actually, compared to the last half a dozen which were really good, I don't like it at all.

Alex calling out Talon for trying to impress him seems out of character, particularly since this isn't the time for needless distractions. Him then calling Talon "pottymouth" seems out of place as well. I've yet to meet either a military person or a professional sailor who isn't used to a bit of swearing. Plus, Talon is swearing in Trade which, as a diplomatic language, isn't going to have the same impact in terms of foul language

Why should Beryl say sorry for putting Alex in danger? She didn't do anything. She'd be more likely to say "I apologise for the inconvenience while we deal with this situation, Captain".

And NOW there's a long explanation of telepathic touching? The dialogue is okay, but it's out place after the pace of the last few pages, especially if you were reading these pages in sequence for the first time.

I'm sure lots of people are going to reply and disagree, but of all the pages in Outsider so far, this one interests me the least.

L.
Talon did explicitely say that the rendezvous time to the Clearbrook would be 3200 solons... even with her putting the pedal down, and before Clearbrook decided to bail out. And, judging from the display a few pages earlier, the Clearbrook was even closer to Highland-7 than the Relay itself.

So I guess that they still have a few minutes, maybe up to half a hour of reprieve before things break loose. They'd be still a bit away from the Relay, and the Umiak strike groups are in transit as well. And rather than twiddling the thumbs and waiting for the other shoe to drop, there are more productive uses of the time available.

And especially Beryl seems to think of one. For science, of course. :)

Diodri

Post by Diodri »

Not sure how fast Loroi hearts beat, but if it is 60 bpm they have almost an hour. If it's 120 bmp they have about 26 minutes. i can't imagine it's much faster than that, but even 240 bmp would give 13 minutes, so they have a little while to chat.

man_of_foul_tofu

Post by man_of_foul_tofu »

@Luge - I understand, but not every page can be as good as the last, or as good as the next. I am content. Another page - sigh - this month is a good month already.

@Zarya - I think Arioch has been very clear that there will be no saucy activity of any kind. However, there is this which is entirely non-cannon.

I had the speculation that we have telepathy and telekenisis, and perhaps Alex (being human) would act as an amplifier or a unique alteration being able to be made to that person's mental faculties - but having read this (http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/forum_telepathy.html) I dont think my hypothothis fits with the plot as it exists, and the information provided.

So, it's confusing. Below is a nice bit of exposition from the above page ...
Loroi vs. Aliens
The Loroi are, as far as they are aware, the only telepathic species since the fall of the Soia (who had psionic devices and so were presumably also telepathic). In addition to being seen as proof of Loroi descent from the Soia, many Loroi consider their telepathic nature as being a higher and superior form of life as compared with other alien species, collectively referred to as binzer ("mutes"). The subconscious Loroi association between the spoken word and hostility also increases the perception of other races that the Loroi are arrogant and belligerent (and is why the Loroi have developed a dedicated diplomatic caste for dealing verbally with outsiders).

Loroi telepathy has varying effects in regard to non-Loroi alien subjects. No known alien is truly telepathic, and so aliens may not transmit telepathic messages or experience the true depth of the Loroi skin-to-skin telepathic link. However, most intelligent alien species do generate a mental signature that can be detected by Loroi telepaths, and it is possible for Loroi to send a telepathic message to or use other telepathic abilities on an alien subject, though this often requires actual physical contact.

Alien brain structure and thought patterns vary widely, and so alien susceptibility to Loroi telepathic techniques also varies greatly from species to species. Loroi can read some species very easily, and others hardly at all. On the extreme side, one race (the Golim) is so susceptible to Loroi telepathy that any individual within a certain range of a Loroi is essentially mesmerized and completely open to the will of the Loroi (even if the Loroi isn’t consciously attempting to influence the Golim). At the other extreme, Humanity appears to be highly resistant to all Loroi telepathic abilities, including signature detection.

In general, aliens cannot receive Loroi remote telepathic transmissions unless they are “shouted” at (Golim being the notable exception). With only a few exceptions, Loroi can detect the signatures of all alien minds. Loroi can establish direct physical link with an alien subject via touch; even resistant aliens will notice the telepathic contact. However, while the contact will enhance whatever abilities the Loroi might attempt to use on the subject, the Loroi and the alien subject will not experience the intimate two-way contact that a Link between two Loroi produces, because the alien is not itself a telepath. The effectiveness of various other Loroi telepathic abilities on aliens varies from species to species.

All aliens are uniformly susceptible to Loroi psychokinesis, regardless of their relative resistance or susceptibility to Loroi telepathy. Psychokinesis produces real forces that interact with matter in ways consistent with physical law; telepathy does not. One cannot be “resistant” to psychokinetic effects unless one is also psychokinetic, and is using one’s own abilities to counteract another source of PK.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Diodri wrote:Not sure how fast Loroi hearts beat, but if it is 60 bpm they have almost an hour. If it's 120 bmp they have about 26 minutes. i can't imagine it's much faster than that, but even 240 bmp would give 13 minutes, so they have a little while to chat.
Diodri - your listing of hearbeat rates (especially their order) made me think of something - maybe Beryl and Alex will find a way to increase their respective heartbeats (temporarily), and its possible influence on the telepathic non-existance of Alexander to Beryl?
For science!

Of course this will not be depicted (no fanservice).
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

novius

Post by novius »

Now there is another thought: What if Alex does pick up an image from her mind?

That would definitely open up another can of worms.

Nah. Not happening. Surely not. Right. Right? :D

GhostlyYorick

Post by GhostlyYorick »

Touch-a touch-a touch-a touch me
I wanna be dirty
Thrill me, chill me, fulfill me
Creature of the Empty Quarter!

:mrgreen:

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Page 133: Prelude to handholding

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

page 133: the most "fanservice" discussion since a long while.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Krulle wrote:page 133: the most "fanservice" discussion since a long while.
I think Arioch is trolling the lot of us.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
Diodri wrote:Not sure how fast Loroi hearts beat...
1 solon = 1.092 seconds.

Diodri

Post by Diodri »

I wonder if all Loroi have identical heartbeat speeds? It seems to be consistent enough to be used as a standard measurement of time.

folti

Post by folti »

Diodri wrote:I wonder if all Loroi have identical heartbeat speeds? It seems to be consistent enough to be used as a standard measurement of time.
Probably they followed the same route as human measuring units like foot, inch and co. Every city state/valley/tribe had their own standard, until later some empire or other higher power standardized it's value at some semi-arbitrary value. Inch for example referred to a a wide range of units in different measuring systems, ranging from ~21mm up to 30mm, until the current standard of 25.4mm have been adopted in the 1930s, first by the UK, then the US followed by other imperial users.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Diodri wrote:I wonder if all Loroi have identical heartbeat speeds? It seems to be consistent enough to be used as a standard measurement of time.
I think Beryl just used that description as a quick way of explaining it to Alex in Chapter 1.

My two cents... ever since reading the Insider, I've adopted the head-canon that humans are the template race for the Loroi, as the Nibiren seem to be for the Barsam. Even if sanzai is 100% a Soia addition, it stands to reason that our hardware should at least be able to detect something even if it can't 'translate' it. For example, astronauts have reported 'seeing' radiation as flashes of light, even when their eyes are closed.

I think the feeling of an electrostatic spark and 'seeing' Fireblade's outline during the interrogation was simply his brain's way of interpreting what it did not have the capability to interpret. I don't think he'll be able to communicate with Beryl, but he'll definitely feel something.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

I imagine one of these will be coming up next:

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

She seems a bit thrilled is the fact she can touch him with his permission mean something to her, since they are in such danger?

folti

Post by folti »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:She seems a bit thrilled is the fact she can touch him with his permission mean something to her, since they are in such danger?
Touch allows a quite deep and intimate sanzai between Loroi from which very few thoughts remain hidden, so it's only reserved to very close friends.

Or forced interrogation as Alex learned the hard way with Fireblade and co the first time he met with them.

SVlad

Re: Talon

Post by SVlad »

I've failed to understand what exactly Alex trying to say to Talon:
Don't feel like you have to impress me, Talon!
He don't think Talon must impress him by something in the future? Or Talon didn't impressed him by previous phrase?
Outsider in Russian