Page 132: Something Interesting

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Page 132: Something Interesting

Post by Arioch »

cacambo43 wrote:I'm still confused as to whether a Loroi can or cannot keep thoughts completely to themselves or not.
The short answer is yes, but the more complicated answer is: sometimes.

Loroi cannot normally read each others thoughts. All adult Loroi have developed some level of mental discipline, which prevents them from "broadcasting" all of their private thoughts, and offers some protection against external efforts to read these thoughts. These barriers can be breached, but this usually requires touch contact, and/or close proximity and a very high telepathic skill level on the part of the would-be hacker. If there is a question of fact or loyalty, a Loroi may be subjected to touch contact with a skilled telepathy (such as a Mizol) who will probably be able to determine the matter.

Unguarded thoughts can often be transmitted through normal telepathic conversation. Because it is inherently truthful, a hidden secret can be reveal overtly through a truthful answer to a sensitive question (or covertly through a non-answer to such a question). Also, an attentive and skilled telepath can discover hidden truths through unguarded moments of normal telepathic conversation.

So, while most Loroi cannot simply read the minds of all other Loroi, secrets can be hard to keep, especially from your friends.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Arioch wrote:
So, while most Loroi cannot simply read the minds of all other Loroi, secrets can be hard to keep, especially from your friends.
Thanks for taking the time to explain. If one extends the question to non-Loroi minds, would one expect that if an unskilled or inexperienced Loroi was in a roomful of "aliens" she would be inundated with unguarded thoughts?

CJSF

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

cacambo43 wrote:Thanks for taking the time to explain. If one extends the question to non-Loroi minds, would one expect that if an unskilled or inexperienced Loroi was in a roomful of "aliens" she would be inundated with unguarded thoughts?
Non-telepathic aliens do not have the ability to "send", so they can only be read by a Loroi who is actively trying to read them. This usually requires very close proximity or touch.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Darroth wrote:
NOMAD wrote:OOOOOHHHH good page; Icekatze nice to see your character in the comic.

That last panel, are we about to see Talon pulls some very impressive flying . . . TOP GUN style
What's your problem Alex?

You're everyone's problem. That's because every time you fly, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous.

That's right! I am dangerous.

*mutual smoldering looks*.
In this case, i see you genious in your flying, but I can't say that or everyone on this shuttle will know that.

@ Darroth nicely done sir . . . brought a smile to my face.
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

novius

Post by novius »

NOMAD wrote:
Darroth wrote:
NOMAD wrote:OOOOOHHHH good page; Icekatze nice to see your character in the comic.

That last panel, are we about to see Talon pulls some very impressive flying . . . TOP GUN style
What's your problem Alex?

You're everyone's problem. That's because every time you fly, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous.

That's right! I am dangerous.

*mutual smoldering looks*.
In this case, i see you genious in your flying, but I can't say that or everyone on this shuttle will know that.

@ Darroth nicely done sir . . . brought a smile to my face.
Add the first panel of this page, especially Talon's words to him, and you may actually see a subtext Arioch may have never intended :)

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

fredgiblet wrote:Beryl's arm is still around Alex's shoulders~
Just warming up to the hyoomahn heating pad.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

man_of_foul_tofu wrote:(1) Enticing as blossoming romance is, I find Romance in a hard SF plot - or in any SF plot twisting with 'because love' followed by the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ bewildering "now change all our strategies" to be utterly frustratingly stupid. I do not want that here in Outside. [/size]
Bruh, attractive blue aliens with remarkably similar forms to humans almost ALWAYS ends in a romantic first encounter, physically, and culturally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxahwxY_5jg

Logannion

Post by Logannion »

Voitan wrote:
man_of_foul_tofu wrote:(1) Enticing as blossoming romance is, I find Romance in a hard SF plot - or in any SF plot twisting with 'because love' followed by the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ bewildering "now change all our strategies" to be utterly frustratingly stupid. I do not want that here in Outside. [/size]
Bruh, attractive blue aliens with remarkably similar forms to humans almost ALWAYS ends in a romantic first encounter, physically, and culturally.

Don't harass the hippie :lol:
Besides, you've got to admit that sometimes the romance is a bit forced and shoehorned.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Voitan wrote:

COWABUNGA! (horrible sound quality, one of the reasons I always switched off the speech in UQM.)
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Krulle wrote: COWABUNGA! (horrible sound quality, one of the reasons I always switched off the speech in UQM.)
Holy smokes, check out dem NAV HUDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0C5V8OPVI