Page 132: Something Interesting

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

malletmann

Page 132: Something Interesting

Post by malletmann »

In Loroi Union, station comes to you!

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Page 132: Something Interesting

Post by Arioch »

Thanks to icekatze for his permission to use his character Cerulean in a cameo as the Gora Relay officer.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Beryl's arm is still around Alex's shoulders~

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

The shuttle looks like it’s built in a modular way, Talon may shed a lot of its mass prior to attempting deceleration...

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Seems like Beryl has made herself quite comfortable, yet the look on her face - *gasp* Talon swearing like that?! :lol:

Good plan, Talon, only problem with it could be the station's commander not going along with it, deciding you're obviously crazy and shooting you down so you don't crash into the station and kill everyone on board.

@Zarya - no, it isn't modular and it doesn't have any escape pods either. But it is speculated that the shuttle is carrying salvage from the Bellarmine in it's hold. They could eject the cargo to lower their mass.

*Edit*
By the way, wasn't it Beryl, not Alex, who was upset about missing all the "fun", and Talon herself saying that relay stations aren't interesting?

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

fredgiblet wrote:Beryl's arm is still around Alex's shoulders~
I notice she does not seem to mind Alex's hand around her waist either..! 8-)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

It's just me or page laсks lighting layer? No lights and shadows everywhere except station commander panel.
Outsider in Russian

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

entity2636 wrote: @Zarya - no, it isn't modular and it doesn't have any escape pods either. But it is speculated that the shuttle is carrying salvage from the Bellarmine in it's hold. They could eject the cargo to lower their mass.
Happy to see Beryl is still sitting on the best place on the flight deck ;)

Had been looking at Arioch’s sketches for the Highland. The front landing gear well indeed suggests the design isn't modular, but it could split be up between crew compartment and the cargo space, provided the nose section has thrusters and some fuel holding capacity.

Of course when there’s any cargo of value related to the Bellarmine they’d want to hold on to that..

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Zarya wrote:Had been looking at Arioch’s sketches for the Highland. The front landing gear well indeed suggests the design isn't modular, but it could split be up between crew compartment and the cargo space, provided the nose section has thrusters and some fuel holding capacity.
I've also studied the Highland diagram. I think you're looking at the front airlock that is connecting the cockpit to the main cabin.

I do not believe the cockpit section can be detached, rather the airlock is there for safety reasons much like in a real life airliner (door to the cockpit is both armored and air tight). In case of pressure loss in the cabin the cockpit remains pressurized and vice versa (note the cabin doesn't have windows while the cockpit has. The Highland is also re-entry and atmospheric flight capable. I could well imagine loroi pilots putting on helmets during re-entry, in case a window cracks and the cockpit looses pressure). Also this airlock allows the cargo hold to be opened in space for cargo versions of the shuttle.

The Highland comes in purely passenger (up 60 seats economy class or a VIP variant), mixed (~20 passengers + cargo) and cargo only configuration. Ours was the VIP version (Admiral Stillstorm's personal yacht) but she had it reconfigured to mixed layout.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

Behind the crew cabin is a dotted line, a bulkhead. The spine of the ship with the landing gears, including the vestibules could perhaps slide out. The nose section would include the cockpit and the crew area up until the bulkhead. There’s perhaps some room for thrusters next to where the vestibules currently are.

But.... I get easily carried away when it comes to extreme measures to slim down on mass - let’s see how this develops ;)

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Well, maybe. It seems a bit extreme for the cockpit plus midsection to slide out from the rest of the air frame, but it's sci-fi after all :geek:

I'm looking forward to Talon making a rather hard landing tail end first into station's hangar. She's an ace pilot and probably has done a few hard landings with damaged fighters, but a 400 ton barely maneuverable projectile is not the Arrow starfighter she's used to flying. This is gonna be interesting.

Excellion

Post by Excellion »

I wonder what Tempo, Fireblade and the two guards are currently doing - it feels as if they have been in back for years now. (Well, in universe its been a few hours, but its been slightly over a year since we've last seen them ;) ).

Fireblade and the two guards are likely to just follow orders and stay put on guard duty so i wouldn't expect to see them in the cockpit. Tempo on the other hand.... as a flag level officer i expected her to keep tabs on all new developments in a situation such as this. So i guess the shuttle has a decent in-shuttle comms system which allows her to stay informed while staying put. I can't really imagine no-one waking her up in a situation such as this but if she is still sleeping and in for one hell of an awakening after.

Also, five weeks in a row with a new page? Hat tip to that accomplishment!
SVlad wrote:It's just me or page laсks lighting layer? No lights and shadows everywhere except station commander panel.
I think that happened before once or twice since i joined up myself. As Outsider only updates on Monday i suspect that - at times - a very nearly done page is posted as opposed to pushing it to the next week. The giveaway for me tends to be the eyes - if you look at Alex's they are currently a flat brown instead of having a pupil and an iris. As lightning doesn't influence that detail it's not a matter of him (them) just sitting in the shadow.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Excellion wrote: Tempo on the other hand.... as a flag level officer i expected her to keep tabs on all new developments in a situation such as this. So i guess the shuttle has a decent in-shuttle comms system which allows her to stay informed while staying put.
Would she really need comms for that? I assume she's within sansai range anyway.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Excellion wrote:As lightning doesn't influence that detail it's not a matter of him (them) just sitting in the shadow.
Compare with page 129. Everybody sits on same places, but have 3 steps of shadow/light.
Outsider in Russian

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

SVlad wrote:
Excellion wrote:As lightning doesn't influence that detail it's not a matter of him (them) just sitting in the shadow.
Compare with page 129. Everybody sits on same places, but have 3 steps of shadow/light.
I've seen the same in the past. Arioch will probably update the patreon post and the page at a slightly later date with the lighting.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

SVlad wrote:It's just me or page laсks lighting layer? No lights and shadows everywhere except station commander panel.
The lighting isn't finished; I'll update the page later today.

novius

Post by novius »

It wouldn't be too far-fetched to assume the whole cockpit section could serve as an escape capsule, too... But at that point I expect something like "open up the bay doors, we come in hot".

...And Beryl actually putting her arm around his shoulders (compare how she sat just before) where she almost chewed out Talon for just holding his hand? Never even mind that she's still practically sitting on his lap and with his right hand where it actually is right now...

Yes, maybe she fell into his lap when Talon punched it but she definitely doesn't mind, quite the opposite...

novius

Post by novius »

entity2636 wrote:Seems like Beryl has made herself quite comfortable, yet the look on her face - *gasp* Talon swearing like that?! :lol:
And mind you, Loroi usually are uncomfortable with spoken words. Expect there to be much more graphic terms and images for everyone with sanzai to pick up. I'm pretty sure, if Tempo slept so far, Talon cussing up a storm woke her up. Or one of the other Loroi in the back, knowing that something has to be amiss.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

Beryl may be live-sanzaiing the situation, while also contributing a lot to inter-species relations.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

novius wrote:It wouldn't be too far-fetched to assume the whole cockpit section could serve as an escape capsule, too... But at that point I expect something like "open up the bay doors, we come in hot".

...And Beryl actually putting her arm around his shoulders (compare how she sat just before) where she almost chewed out Talon for just holding his hand? Never even mind that she's still practically sitting on his lap and with his right hand where it actually is right now...

Yes, maybe she fell into his lap when Talon punched it but she definitely doesn't mind, quite the opposite...
Loroi aren't usually happy with physical contact. While I understand the gravity of the scenario, I would expect Beryl looking a bit more uncomfortable than she does now.