Page 131: The one in which we learn how Loroi swear

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

fredgiblet

Page 131: The one in which we learn how Loroi swear

Post by fredgiblet »

Someone needs to wash Talon's mouth out with soap I think.

Jericho

Re: Page 131: The one in which we learn how Loroi swear

Post by Jericho »

We'll there are a few times you are really happy to be wrong! Fantastic page :D!
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

So are loroi swears usually two words?

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Good to see that cowardice is a universal trait.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Jericho wrote:We'll there are a few times you are really happy to be wrong! Fantastic page :D!
I second this in regard to my interpretation of Talon's expression over at the WIP thread! And - ROFL at Talon cursing :lol: Truly *Khaaaaaaaannnnn*

Wonder where she's headed now... For the starbase at the Azimol jump zone?
Last edited by entity2636 on Mon May 14, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

elorran

Post by elorran »

Piss artist... is this what i think it is or a pure coincidence? :D

CF2

Post by CF2 »

These pages have been like sequential cliff hangers as the situation grows increasingly dire.
I wonder if going silent and hiding near the star is an option, in the event that humiliating them into action and rerouting to rendezvous sooner doesn't work.

novius

Post by novius »

First, morale seems that low since Clearbrook decided to bail out, ignoring direct orders. That would be reason enough for a court martial.

Second... Does Talon kiss with that mouth of hers?

Third... Loroi are a bit inexperienced at audible speech, so I'm pretty sure her sanzai has even more salient terms mixed in. :)

Fourth... If Tempo missed the action, I'm quite sure she's awake by now. Quite a set of lungs on Talon, and if her voice didn't do the trick, her thoughts might have done it.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

novius wrote:First, morale seems that low since Clearbrook decided to bail out, ignoring direct orders. That would be reason enough for a court martial.
Ignoring orders is not the case. Stillstorm ordered all non-combatants to exit via the nearest jump point on Page 127
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider127.html

Edit: added what next...

Shutting off propulsion to conserve fuel leads the Highland-7 to coast in the direction of the rendez vous point. That's dangerous because the bugs are coming. Using fuel to change course will deplete the remainder of the fuel reserve. The crew will have to choose wisely.
Last edited by Zarya on Mon May 14, 2018 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

novius wrote:First, morale seems that low since Clearbrook decided to bail out, ignoring direct orders. That would be reason enough for a court martial.
Aside from the fact that the orders are ambiguous (they should seek clarification from command, though), if they escape and everyone else in the system dies, nobody will know they disobeyed orders. They may even get a medal for warning the other systems.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

She is right, though.
Extinct nations have no need for embassies.

And priority one right now is repelling the current attack wave, and this requires that the alarm is carried as fast and far as possible.

And if Alex is stuck in this system, chances are higher that his expertise can shine and convice the Loroi that he's not an agent of the Umiak. (nearly wrote Umgah...)
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Krulle wrote:And if Alex is stuck in this system, chances are higher that his expertise can shine and convice the Loroi that he's not an agent of the Umiak. (nearly wrote Umgah...)
How would the Loroi deal with the dnyarri? Would they end up like the Ur-Quan, or would they be more resistant (and maybe able to dominate the Ur-Quan as easily as the dnyarri did)

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Well, the Loroi seem more like the Syreen to me.
I fear their telepathy would make them vulnerable to Dnyarri, and thus they may end up like the Ur-Quan.
Which could result in pinkish and greenish Loroi.
Would also be interesting.

Hello fellow Frungy-Lover!

(For those not knowing: Frungy is the sport of Kings)
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Chekist_Felix

Post by Chekist_Felix »

I predict in next pages Tempo will enter the cabin (maybe even drag Alex to camera) and... "persuaded" Clearbrook.
"Follow your goddamn orders. This is your final warning."
"Oh sh- okey, my bad."
My literacy is cringe-fest... Apologies for what you're about to read.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Chekist_Felix wrote:I predict in next pages Tempo will enter the cabin (maybe even drag Alex to camera) and... "persuaded" Clearbrook.
"Oh sh- okey, my bad."
I suspect they will either end up on the white haired girl's cruiser or there are some other factions lurking around (historians, the blue thingies oder even some cloaked Darlok :P) that will come to their rescue.

D1ff3r3nt

Post by D1ff3r3nt »

Am I the only one who finds that Talon using the term "Bloody coward" to be an coincidence? I mean terms and phrases are often locally based and that is a very "English/ Commonwealth" colloquialism. Were the Loroi a British colony at one point? They drink tea, control a "Union/ commonwealth" or should I say are "part" of one, and they have an Empire that aims to crush any would be upstarts who would threaten their power until some one else proves they might be a bit better at it. I am not saying anything but Rule Loroi, Loroi rules the space.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

Arent wrote:
Chekist_Felix wrote:I predict in next pages Tempo will enter the cabin (maybe even drag Alex to camera) and... "persuaded" Clearbrook.
"Oh sh- okey, my bad."
I suspect they will either end up on the white haired girl's cruiser or there are some other factions lurking around (historians, the blue thingies oder even some cloaked Darlok :P) that will come to their rescue.
White-haired girl? What are you talking about? Girl?

CJSF

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

D1ff3r3nt wrote: Were the Loroi a British colony at one point?
Not only the Loroi, mate, the bloody English, they are everywhere!

It looks like that at this point the commander of the Clearbrook does not fear a court martial, because she's either quite sure she won't survive long enough or maybe even the Union won't.

On the other hand, that could be plain, old fashioned mutiny. Maybe even rebellion?

Down with the traitorous Mizol emperor!

Seize the means of reproduction!
Arent wrote: I suspect they will either end up on the white haired girl's cruiser or there are some other factions lurking around (historians, the blue thingies oder even some cloaked Darlok :P) that will come to their rescue.
Yes, at this point our intrepid shuttle crew could use some deus ex machina, especially since other ships are too far away and there are shells between them.

Chekist_Felix

Post by Chekist_Felix »

Arent wrote:
"Oh sh- okey, my bad."
Are't Ashrain (white haired captain) on the other side of the star-system? But on the other hand it can be possible... she portrait as bold and capable commander, maybe she, with a help of some tactical wizardry, pull through, pick the shuttle and escape. But i'm skeptical.
My literacy is cringe-fest... Apologies for what you're about to read.