Page 129: ¨Deep Jump

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Page 129: ¨Deep Jump

Post by Krulle »

http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider129.html

So, the Loroi do know about Deep Jumping.

Shall we assume those are Historians, coming to the rescue? (one may hope!)
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/loroi_trade_lexicon.html wrote: solon n tick, heartbeat (a time of 1.092 seconds)
480 light-solon therefore make 524.16 light-seconds; 8.736 light-minutes.
About the distance between Sun and Earth. (499 light-seconds; 8,3 light-minutes) [1]
Last edited by Krulle on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

cacambo43

Re: Page 129: ¨Deep Jump

Post by cacambo43 »

Krulle wrote: Shall we assume those are Historians, coming to the rescue? (one may hope!)
Eh? Am I missing a panel?

CJSF

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Pretty surely not.
But all we have right now is a "Jump signal", no identification yet.

Either way, it is bad, sicne the jump signal appeared behind the defences.

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Well, now would be the time to ask the Stray if the surrender offer still stands ;)

I'd assume deep jumping into a white dwarf system is even more dangerous than an "ordinary" deep jump, given that the stellar remnant's gravity well is going to be much steeper (smaller room for error). I wonder how many Umiak ships will end up materialising inside the white dwarf. Not that the Umiak would care about such losses if they're confident of victory.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Yeah... I am more and more convinced the Umiak are simply using drone automated warships.. lead by only a handful of Umiak on fire direction command ships. So yeah... the Loroi can detect the approach of massive numbers of living minds in a upcomming assault but if the Umiak are just using very sophisticated computer controlled drones controlled by only a handfull of living Umiak on a few key ships... there are only like 6 or so living Umiak in a division sized assault force...no way the Loroi Farseekers can detect so few minds in a vast volume of space!
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

novius

Post by novius »

Organic refuse is definitely coming into contact with the ventilation device...

First, what seemed to be quite a decent margin for their getaway melted down to "they got uncomfortably close".

Second, now it really looks like that taking a strategic nexus was their main objective, rather than hunting down this shuttle.

And while Umiak don't care about individuals, they surely aren't throwing away assets needlessly.

So yes, as I said, it seems very much so that they are intent on getting their pincers on whoever or whatever got away from Naam. At any cost.

On another note, Beryl had enough time to straighten herself up by now, even if the shuttle is burning at full thrust, or getting herself another seat - she does look quite comfortable in her current position now, despite the grim situation :)

novius

Post by novius »

Krulle wrote:Pretty surely not.

I gather that enemy forces don't announce themselves as such, and so every vessel jumping in and not identifying itself correctly in a given amount of time, based on transmission delays, is assumed to be hostile, in addition to other means of identification (emission signatures, profiles, whatever you may think of)

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

novius wrote: On another note, Beryl had enough time to straighten herself up by now, even if the shuttle is burning at full thrust, or getting herself another seat - she does look quite comfortable in her current position now, despite the grim situation :)
May have something to do with being held by her attractive..clearly intelligent human heat-rock.. is enough to get her aroused enough to enjoy her fortuitous current masculine seat! :lol:
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Arent

Post by Arent »

Sounds as if the Umiak have gained access to some kind of long range jump system. Maybe they have only been granted a limited amount (Historians?) or it's too dangerous to use it. Maybe they sacrificed half their fleet using it.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

novius wrote:
Krulle wrote:Pretty surely not.

I gather that enemy forces don't announce themselves as such, and so every vessel jumping in and not identifying itself correctly in a given amount of time, based on transmission delays, is assumed to be hostile, in addition to other means of identification (emission signatures, profiles, whatever you may think of)
page 124: identification takes time. Whether friend or foe.

And seeing the colours used on page 129, I assume red is unidentified, and yellow stands for (confirmed) hostile/enemy. Green for friendly/ours, white being "your" ship and larger stations/depots/fortresses, blue may be civilian/non-fighting, orange are buoys (also non-active in a fight).

Orange and red seem to be close together, while one is friendly, the other is unidentified....
I would have fears that the colours would get mixed up.
But then, the Loroi as genetecally engineered species may well be able to see far larger nuances than my baseline Human eye.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

"New enemy forces..." sort of implies that they have identified them as Umiak though, doesn't it?

CJSF

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

novius wrote: On another note, Beryl had enough time to straighten herself up by now, even if the shuttle is burning at full thrust, or getting herself another seat - she does look quite comfortable in her current position now, despite the grim situation :)
I think it's literally been seconds in "real time".. or, solons, excuse me. LOL

CJSF

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

This monday just got a lot better!

Arioch are the green lights eminating from the yellow ships on the radar supposed to be beam weapons firing?
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Jericho wrote:Arioch are the green lights eminating from the yellow ships on the radar supposed to be beam weapons firing?
No, those are projected courses.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Oh that was an unexpected pleasant surprise coming home and finding a new page (go Arioch!) and a discussion already on!

Beryl's quite the "Lieutenant Obvious" but I second Talon, that is indeed the million talent question right now, how the truckload of umiaks got past all the checkpoints. Not surprised that the pilots know about deep jumping, I suppose everyone who knows about hyperspace is familiar with deep and short jumping and the dangers involved. Maybe the umiaks have obtained better star charts and/or have developed new navigational software that allows them to safely deep jump or perhaps even double-jump (skip systems) - I gather that most stars around Leido are red dwarfs with weak gravity while Leido is a white dwarf (strong gravity). Maybe it's not outside the realm of the possible to jump over a red dwarf system if you have accurate charts and very good NavCom?

By the way, wonder what is Tempo up to while all of this is going on next door? Blissfully asleep or listening to everything telepathically? The way and tempo (pun intended) in which the situation is developing should be of interest to her...

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
sunphoenix wrote:...no way the Loroi Farseekers can detect so few minds in a vast volume of space!
Arioch wrote:Farseers can detect a single Umiak mind, if it's the only mind in a star system. What they would have trouble with is distinguishing it amongst other minds nearby.
Perhaps the Umiak got past the checkpoints by using deep jump tactics. But I'm not sure that they would be able to intercept a courier with just a deep jump. It is still at least 2 AU from jump point to courier location, probably more, and they're not necessarily jumping in on the correct vector. Will we find out that they have a new interceptor force that can close that kind of distance in time? Maybe some extra long range torpedoes?

I think it is a safe bet that Alex's observation about the diversionary tactics is important. I'm just not sure how yet. :P

Using diversionary tactics might just be a good idea regardless, since the Umiak don't necessarily know the size of the Loroi reserves. But if it were a totally obvious reason like that, then he probably wouldn't have mentioned it. Perhaps they are building a farseer hidden base(s) is the steppes and needed to keep the Loroi from stumbling across it by accident?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I think it is the first step in Alexander showing his tactical prowess, and his future use in the Loroi/Umiak war.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

I really don't catch why Jarden thinks it is a diversion. For me it looked like full front assault two pages ago.
Outsider in Russian

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Where does Alex say he thinks this is a diversion? It clearly isn't. All of the other attacks on the other hand, like the diversion in Naam, are a different story.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Uhm, there:
Maybe, but something doesn't add up. Why the diversionary attacks? If they have some kind of jammers, why not equip all of their ships with them?
Outsider in Russian