Pages 114, 115, 116

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

icekatze

Re: Pages 114, 115, 116

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

If I recall, the Loroi tend view men as being in a different class all together, even when they're not strange aliens. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more along the lines of two people vying for the attention of an adorable puppy.

Shadowy Wanderer

Post by Shadowy Wanderer »

One thing to remember is that Jordin is still a BIG unknown to the Lori. Beryl and Tempo may not believe is an artifact of the enemy this does not mean they can fully trust him. He has not telepathic presence which would normally mean he is a powerful telepath. The fact that he has kept it up under circumstances that would be imposable for a Lori to do does not mean he they fully believe he can’t use telepathy. So for that and other pragmatic reason they have to keep an eye on him.

So, as has been point out before, Beryl literally fell asleep on the job in front of an ambassador which would obviously be embarrassing and frustrating by itself. She then finds that in the short time he was not in the presence of his security detail or under observation by the diplomatic or science officer he comes in physical contact with a Lori. Given the advantages physical contact can give a telepath this represents a potentially significant security breach even if it was just a piolet that should have known better.

So there are some good purely professional reasons for to her be acting annoyed right now. Admittedly none of them are as amusing as Beryl simply being jelly. :)

It just might be a little early to say Jorden will be Caption Kirking his way throw this.

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Eh, let's be honest with ourselves: Jardin might have to play an anti-Kirk (not the goatee kind, either).

Dirty Yasuki

Post by Dirty Yasuki »

I still find it hilarious that certain words that Talon spoke were bolded and italicized for emphasis :p

"...Pilots have a Natural feeling for each other..."

"Your hand is really warm."

Beryl needed several trigger warnings walking into the sight of that "handshake" and hearing those words in those sentences.
:mrgreen:

novius

Post by novius »

Dirty Yasuki wrote:I still find it hilarious that certain words that Talon spoke were bolded and italicized for emphasis :p

Beryl needed several trigger warnings walking into the sight of that "handshake" and hearing those words in those sentences.
Just as I hinted to it elsewhere, take this sentences out of context (as it might have happened to Beryl the moment she entered) and it could really become quite dicey....

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

novius wrote:
Dirty Yasuki wrote:I still find it hilarious that certain words that Talon spoke were bolded and italicized for emphasis :p

Just as I hinted to it elsewhere, take this sentences out of context (as it might have happened to Beryl the moment she entered) and it could really become quite dicey....
i changed the highlighted elements a bit more.
Any pauses can be blamed on being unused to talk trade instead of using telepathy....
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

novius wrote:Another thing - Beryl was fast asleep a moment ago, right? She dozed off as Tempo took over, but didn't take long to be up and about again. I'd peg it on warrior training, to be up and alert if something around oneself changes - like Alex getting up and moving away - but the first thing she did is to follow him and then seeing him in a rather compromising situation. Depends on how much Beryl heard in pg. 116, things could get awkward. (Take away Talon's first sentence and just read the second one and you may see what I mean :) )
I was wondering myself if she was poked up and ordered to follow.
Supporter of forum RPG

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

"Oh, for goodness sake, Talon, don't go grabbing its hand, how do you know it won't jump on your face and have intercourse with your mouth and put an egg in your stomach or something? Don't you watch any movies? I don't want to have some slimy thing pop out through your chest in the middle of the mess hall! See, THIS is why alien relations should be relegated entirely to the Listel caste, only our superior training and experience blah blah blah [this is where Talon starts tuning her out]"

There guys, I've put in the telepathy bits so you don't have to wonder about this any more.

thicket

Post by thicket »

boldilocks wrote:"Oh, for goodness sake, Talon, don't go grabbing its hand, how do you know it won't jump on your face and have intercourse with your mouth and put an egg in your stomach or something? Don't you watch any movies? I don't want to have some slimy thing pop out through your chest in the middle of the mess hall! See, THIS is why alien relations should be relegated entirely to the Listel caste, only our superior training and experience blah blah blah [this is where Talon starts tuning her out]"

There guys, I've put in the telepathy bits so you don't have to wonder about this any more.
:lol:

harlequin2262

Post by harlequin2262 »

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

I thought we established that the loroi sort of penis isn't elf-portable. :D
Don't delay, join today!

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Good Lord! I come back after a while away and so many pages!
Lovely work as always Arioch.

Reading through the comments and looking at the comics, I think to be honest all points are very valid!
We appear to have a quite complex interaction that at first seems to be a simple jealous exchange between Beryl and Talon over Talons actions with Alex (and I'm all for that!)

From my view point on Alex's behalf, the poor guys had virtually no friendly contact at all since being taken in by the Loroi, apart from of course the attentions of someone who's manic intensity he could consider similar to someone wanting to dissect his brain, (I'm looking at you here Beryl). So the seemingly genuine friendliness of Talon and her physical touch that she looked like she wanted to happen (without the psychic brain fiddling) could involuntarily draw Alex in closer emotionally, despite his diplomatic training, leading to the extended time the hand shake has taken and the barbed comment to Beryl about being handcuffed previously.

Pretty much all my views on the Loroi however, I will say now are pure conjecture on my part.

I am still of the opinion that the Loroi were originally created by a progenitor race the Soia, using stone age humans as the base stock, and that has led to certain 'artifact' emotions and responses like laughing aloud, and body language, something I notice Arioch has put a lot of thought into incorporating into the characters,.
So it is very possible that Beryl could be acting out of jealousy and Talon acting on attraction, however my original thought was to question this as Loroi are conditioned to share males which are controlled by a group for their purpose, so I don't see why Beryl could react from that form of jealousy.
However, depending on how men are protected by a group, it could be an involuntary reaction to another group, 'The Pilots' trying to take control of a male from her group, so she could be reacting in a broader sense of jealousy but on a Loroi subconscious level.
Or, Beryl is simply miffed that Alex is responding to Talon in ways he has not responded to her on a non romantic level, something a young scientist like her might react haughtily to.

Talon I think, is coming from the angle of a veteran that has put her life on he line many times and therefore might have a more relaxed view of interactions and genuinely does see Alex as a kindred spirit pilot, who has without reservation offered a hand of friendship and the trust of his first name (if only by accident), someone she can enjoy pilot related conversation with and give her a break from the Eternal Space Teen that is Spiral. I do not think there is any romantic interest there as they have literally only just started speaking, also, I do not think we have seen enough of Talon yet to make a call on what kind of person she is!

Another possibility is the presence of Alex has triggered a dormant competitive streak to other females when a single attractive male (albeit alien) is present, something that has not been seen in Loroi society due to Loroi males releasing some form of calming pheromone that allows them to juggle intimate relationships with several Loroi females at once. (I cannot see the Soia being cruel enough to not put something in place for the Loroi in this respect)
I do think the Loroi use pheromone and scent to mood alter their people somewhat after reading the 'slight smokey vanilla scent' the Command ship has which would be an extension of mood control pheromones the males have.

Of course, it could be a mix of all the above or none at all!
But one thing I do think is Tempo is deliberately engineering these situations to see what Loroi / Human interaction could be in the future, a sort of social experiment for her to devise the best course of action for future diplomatic (and spying) relations.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

harlequin2262 wrote:Image
Frickin' Tenoin caste, guys. Can't leave them alone with a joystick shaped item for two minutes...

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

boldilocks wrote:
harlequin2262 wrote:Image
Frickin' Tenoin caste, guys. Can't leave them alone with a joystick shaped item for two minutes...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

harlequin2262

Post by harlequin2262 »

"Hey baby. I'm a PILOT."

Later, in the mess:

Talon: "Of course the alien male wished for me to grasp his hand! I am often requested to hold hands, with a great variety of exotic alien menfolk, such is my natural attractiveness and cosmopolitan appeal!".

silverhawk100

Post by silverhawk100 »

DevilDalek wrote: But one thing I do think is Tempo is deliberately engineering these situations to see what Loroi / Human interaction could be in the future, a sort of social experiment for her to devise the best course of action for future diplomatic (and spying) relations.
At the very least, to try to determine who Jardin is. What kind of role he played on the Bellarmine, what kind of person he gets along and feels comfortable with best. That informs a lot about the person's history, personality, intentions, etc.

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

Do you think that might extend to human equipment? to see how items are used, get access to stored info, etc? I mean ,that's a large cargo bay in the rear of the shuttle and who knows what stored items from the Bellermine are back there.
Id at least hope they would be able to recognise emergency rations or items from the galley.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

DevilDalek wrote:Do you think that might extend to human equipment? to see how items are used, get access to stored info, etc? I mean ,that's a large cargo bay in the rear of the shuttle and who knows what stored items from the Bellermine are back there.
Id at least hope they would be able to recognise emergency rations or items from the galley.
Considering how disheartening it can be to have to spend time near someone with a stomach in uproar they better have some salvaged rations there.