Stalin

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Smithy

Re: Tau Ceti probably has five planets, one in habitable zon

Post by Smithy »

Victor_D wrote:Of course. I just thought that since the human worlds haven't yet appeared 'officially' in your work, it's still time to adjust the 'canon' so that it reflects the reality better I am fine with it either way, it's a minor and unimportant detail as you said
Yeah you could take a leaf out of Stalin's book..

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Smithy wrote:Yeah you could take a leaf out of Stalin's book..
Stalin wrote comic books? :shock:

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

Victor_D wrote:
Smithy wrote:Yeah you could take a leaf out of Stalin's book..
Stalin wrote comic books? :shock:
A horrifying and intriguing thought...

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Victor_D wrote:Stalin wrote comic books? :shock:
Yes of course :D. You may have heard of his many popular heroes like:

Captain Soviet (Captain America).

Stalin Man (Iron man)

Super Leader (Superman) did you know that Kim Jong Il sued Stalins publisher claiming that "Super Leader" Was a trademark name for his dad.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Jericho wrote:Super Leader (Superman) did you know that Kim Jong Il sued Stalins publisher claiming that "Super Leader" Was a trademark name for his dad.
There seems to be a bit of time displacement going on here. :?

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

GeoModder wrote:There seems to be a bit of time displacement going on here. :?

In soviet Russia there is no time displacement :D. In soviet Russia Time displaces you :twisted:.
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

AndrejaKo

Post by AndrejaKo »

Actually I remember watching on TV some Russian comic artist talking about Stalin's era.

He worked at a newspaper (Pravda if I remember correctly) and they did a political comic for tomorrow's issue. He and his colleagues were at the end of their shift and were planing how to spend the rest of the evening drinking vodka. Then he got a phone call. The operator told him that Comrade Stalin will speak to him. He immediately stood at attention. After that, Comrade Stalin himself spoke on the other end of the line. He didn't like the punchline of the joke in the comic, so he told the artist exactly what each character should say and how each palen should be changed in order to make it better and then hung up. From the shock, the artist collapsed back into his chair. Then he told the rest of the guys in the office what happened. They immediately stopped the presses and remade the comic.

So yes, Uncle Joe did make comics, even if it was a little bit indirect.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

AndrejaKo wrote:Actually I remember watching on TV some Russian comic artist talking about Stalin's era.

He worked at a newspaper (Pravda if I remember correctly) and they did a political comic for tomorrow's issue. He and his colleagues were at the end of their shift and were planing how to spend the rest of the evening drinking vodka. Then he got a phone call. The operator told him that Comrade Stalin will speak to him. He immediately stood at attention. After that, Comrade Stalin himself spoke on the other end of the line. He didn't like the punchline of the joke in the comic, so he told the artist exactly what each character should say and how each palen should be changed in order to make it better and then hung up. From the shock, the artist collapsed back into his chair. Then he told the rest of the guys in the office what happened. They immediately stopped the presses and remade the comic.

So yes, Uncle Joe did make comics, even if it was a little bit indirect.
It actually doesn't surprise me. Stalin was pretty cool because his sense of humor :D .

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

It actually doesn't surprise me. Stalin was pretty cool because his sense of humor :D .
... he murdered 6+ million of his own people.

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Grayhome wrote:... he murdered 6+ million of his own people.
Yes and he also had a joke about that :D.

"The death of one man is a tragedy, the deaths of millons is a statistic" Joseph Stalin. :twisted:

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Yes and he also had a joke about that :D.

"The death of one man is a tragedy, the deaths of millions is a statistic" Joseph Stalin. :twisted:
I am not sure whether he was joking or if it was more of a philosophical musing.

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

Grayhome wrote:
More like 40+ million if you count in all the victims of his WW2 "strategy".

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

Grayhome wrote:I am not sure whether he was joking or if it was more of a philosophical musing.
I'm pretty sure he did both. The man wasn't known for his mental stability :D.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Victor_D wrote:
Grayhome wrote:
You have to admit most of those were shot (by Germans).

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

GeoModder wrote:
Victor_D wrote:More like 40+ million if you count in all the victims of his WW2 "strategy".
Can't blame the grinder for being fed meat.

(I am quibbling now, I know what you mean. It's just that Stalin's political and especially military strategy was extremely costly in terms of human lives and he didn't give a damn.)

discord

Stalin

Post by discord »

victor: i believe the correct term is 'cost effective management', if warm human bodies are plentiful and cheap... as a statesman it would in fact be criminally negligent to NOT use them, such a persons right to be called a human being is questionable though.

politicians are the same everywhere, similar circumstances will create similar people.

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

discord wrote:victor: i believe the correct term is 'cost effective management', if warm human bodies are plentiful and cheap... as a statesman it would in fact be criminally negligent to NOT use them, such a persons right to be called a human being is questionable though.

politicians are the same everywhere, similar circumstances will create similar people.
Don't defend Stalin, please. The man was a monster who is directly responsible for the deaths of millions - not because he couldn't save his country otherwise, but because he saw little value in human life. Had America had someone like that in position of unquestioned, near-absolute power, the US would probably have lost 10 million soldiers in the war.

Stalin would do well as the leader of the Umiak, though... :twisted:

Mali

Post by Mali »

GeoModder wrote:
Victor_D wrote:
Grayhome wrote:
Sad part: no. Stalin holds the title of the bigest murderer of the XX cent. He got out of this nicely, because in the middle of WWII he switched sides. Until german invasion on CCCP soil, nazi invaded 8 countrys and commies 5 (with Poland holding the title of only country being invaded by both commies and nazis in this war - yap we poles have a *luck* for this kind of events). I strongly advise Rising '44 by Norman Davies.

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Stalin

Post by Arioch »

I think Mao Zedong beats Stalin in the mass-murder department. Estimates range from 45 to 78 million.

Victor_D

Re: Stalin

Post by Victor_D »

Arioch wrote:I think Mao Zedong beats Stalin in the mass-murder department. Estimates range from 45 to 78 million.
And both are still loved by a significant part of the (surviving) population of their respective countries.

We are a strange species.