Deliverance

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Snoofman

Re: Deliverance

Post by Snoofman »

Author's note: Two or three more chapters after this before moving on to next installments. Sorry for the delay. Fighting exhaustion from after work and finding the will to write... well, you get the idea. Hopefully the rest of the chapters will be cranked out sooner. Hope you enjoy. :mrgreen:

Deliverance IV

- I -

A few days after her meeting with the Governor, Endurance mobilized her gangers. It was almost time to move out. While they dismantled tents and collected their possessions, a makeshift stage had been set up within the cave. The captives, having been dressed and groomed to appear presentable for the occasion, would walk center stage to be presented for Endurance’s clients.

“Our next specimen, also born on the human colony of Aldea,” said Superhot. She wore a mask to conceal her identity. Only her crimson eyes were visible.

Dania, also donning a mask to conceal her humanity, walked forward with the youngest child in her arms. The little one wailed something terrible, but Dania ignored it.

Superhot continued, “Name, Vira. Approximately one tozon old. In good health. A perfect creature for the joy of holding.”

From another side of the stage, Endurance watched, wearing a golden mask of her own. The dim figures of dozens of masked Loroi surrounded the stage, all eyes trained on every specimen brought into view. Although Endurance knew every one of them, and they her, these Loroi always wore masks during such arrangements and refrained from using their actual names. One could not be too careful. Each client came from a variety of backgrounds; allied ganger chiefs, business tycoons, wealthy matriarchs, freelancers and even well-payed assassins. Loroi that desperately wanted these children, male and female alike.

One by one Superhot kept count as each client placed her bid. Trading in gold was apparently not an alien concept to even the Loroi.

“56 maianets,” one masked bidder offered.

“64 maianets,” said another.

“Ha! 72!” And another.

“96 maianets.”

A smile stretched on Endurance’s face as her fortunes rose.

“117 maianets,” a pair of two bidders called.

“Is there a higher bid?” Superhot called out. “Final call!” Superhot took note of those two masked Loroi, confirming their purchase in her log. “Sold for 117 maianets.”

Dania stepped off stage with little Vira in her arms. Next a boy of about three years was led onto the stage.

“Next specimen,” said Superhot. “Kafra. Approximately four tozons old. Taken from Aldea in Terran space. Original place of brith: Earth.” A few Loroi stirred anxiously. Earth children were quite exotic. “Health seems adequate, but suffers diabetes. Subject requires regular insulin injections, which we can supply with additional cost.”

The bidders silently observed and evaluated. Kafra was a gorgeous male in their eyes, but the Loroi no doubt were evaluating if his condition was worth the price.

Endurance sent to Superhot to sweeten the offer. “However, the specimen’s condition can be also cured with Loroi medical technology for those willing to make the investment.”

Finally a bidder called, “96 maianets.”

“104 maianets.”

And the price kept climbing.

From the sidelines, where the clients could not hear or see, Lagertha and a few raiders watched the auction proceed.

Pak whistled when a bidder offered 163 maianets for little Kafra. “You know," he whispered out of earshot of the Loroi. "I’ve heard stories of brauds paying a fortune to have young boy toys. But this… okay, this takes the cake.”

“That’s not funny, Pak,” Bree mumbled.

“What? I'm just saying how it is. In fact, these little bastards,” he motioned to the captives, “are the lucky ones. They get a nice sugar mama to spoil them. All the girls got to do is earn their keep with some acrobatic work. Or pretend to be a Loroi's daughter. And the boys get the sweet end of the stick. All they got to do to earn their keep is fu-”

Pak was roughly turned by the shoulder as Lagertha stared him dead serious in the eyes. She hissed more than whispered, “Pak, how many times do I have to threaten your life until you learn to shut the hell up? Now zip your lip before I start cracking nuts.”

Pak held up his hands submissively. “Whatever the boss says.”

Releasing him, Lagertha’s attention fell back on the stage as the captives were presented one by one. The last child to be presented was the eldest of the captives.

“And finally, our last specimen on auction, and perhaps one of our finest,” said Superhot. “Gloria Akinyemi. Athletic, strong and in perfect health. This exotic creature, approximately seventeen tozons old, has been trained on Aldea to be an acrobat. Among her specialties is a Terran competitive sport known as balance beam. As you are about to witness.”

Superhot walked over to the child and instructed her in English, “Perform! As you have been taught!”

Gloria just stood there, shoulders slouching with a glum look.

Superhot bent over and whispered to the shorter girl, “Do you want punishment?”

Gloria shivered under Superhot’s crimson eyes, lips quivering ever so slightly. “N-no,” she barely whispered.

“Then do as we say. You obey, we reward. You disobey, we hurt you. Now… perform!”

Superhot stepped away, giving Gloria her space. Swallowing down her sorrow, Gloria assumed a graceful stance. Arching her spine, Gloria bent her form into a perfect circle as she landed on her hands and performed a perfect back flip. Frolicking forward a few steps with arms upheld like a ballerina, Gloria showcased a few graceful arm movements before turning back to cartwheel on her arms, landing on her feet, and launched herself to perform a back-spinning somersault. Spectators gasped, clearly impressed by the young human’s skill. Gloria went on to showcase her nervous but well executed leaps and straight leg kicks in mid-air. A few bidders laughed amusedly. Gloria showed off a few more arm dances just before concluding her performance with one last cartwheel and a double somersault. Superhot was about to recommence-

“128 maianets,” a Loroi called out before Superhot could call for a bid.

Another offered, “Ha! 160 maianets!”

“200 maianets,” came another.

“207!”

And the bid kept growing.

The final bid went to a rich magnate who had already bought a ten-year old male.

“Final call!” Superhot said. “Sold for 512 maianets!”

A few assembled Loroi groaned in aggravation, having not won themselves a single human. Those that did hid their grim satisfaction beneath their masks. Gloria tucked her arms in as she was directed back to the rest of the captives off stage. Superhot stood aside as Eternal Endurance came center stage.

“My friends and faithful clients,” said Endurance, holding up her hands in gracious manner. “I thank you once again for doing business with us.”

“Don’t waste a word of thanks on those who got nothing,” one unlucky bidder pouted.

“Ha! Don’t be such a plunger,” the rich magnate laughed. A few more chuckled. “So then, when can we expect the arrival of our new… assets?”

“Patience, my friends. My subordinates will deliver your new specimens within a few days. You need not seek them out. They will find you. And we expect that your payments in gold will be ready by then. With that said, I am happy to conclude this auction. I bid you all a fond farewell and hope you will rejoin us for our next event.”

One by one, the bidders’ holographic projections faded away as they logged out. Two remained.

Endurance smiled at the pair of Loroi. “Ah, yes. I remember our arrangement. We will be meeting you within three days.”

“We look forward to seeing you again, Seinen,” one replied.

“And will not fail to give you and your clan the warmest hospitality we have to offer,” the other purred.

Endurance bowed ever so slightly. “Until then.”

The duo’s projections faded away, terminating encrypted communications. Immediately gangers worked fast to dismantle the holographic and video equipment. Endurance ripped off her mask. >Superhot, mobilize our people. Get the children loaded. Time to move out.<

Superhot complied. >Hover trucks will be ready to depart in three thousand solons.<

Human raiders and Loroi herded the captives to the trucks. The plan from here, as it had been discussed, was to split up the group. Raiders and gangers would make the deliveries to Endurance’s clients while the rest of the Loroi transported their goods and possessions. Stephen, Dania and Bree would be taking the raiders’ children, following Endurance. Once the last of the captives had been delivered, the rest of the gangers and raiders would reconvene at Endurance’s next choice of location. Superhot left a log with each of the teams responsible for distributing the captives and the price that each purchaser was expected to pay.

Stephen hoisted up the raider children to Dania in one hover truck. Spence stood by his side. Lagertha strolled towards him.

“All set?” Lagertha asked.

Stephen nodded. “Yup. Come on, Spence, now you!”

“Woah!” Spence hooted as his father practically tossed him up to Dania.

Stephen turned back to Lagertha. “You sure you don’t want me to go with you?”

“We’ll meet at the rendezvous. Besides, you shouldn’t leave Spence alone. Too many blueberries.”

Stephen couldn’t help but laugh. “Heh. Yeah I guess so.”

“Hey, Bonnie and Clyde,” Dania got their attention. “Hate to ruin the moment, but we got to go.”

“Take care of our kids.” Lagertha touched Stephen’s shoulder. “Okay?”

“You can always count on me,” Stephen said, climbing aboard the truck. “See you in a few days. And be careful.” He slammed the door shut behind him.

Lagertha climbed into another hover truck. Eight of their captives sat furthest in followed by a few gangers and Lagertha’s raiders. She locked the door behind her. Lagertha made to take her seat, but spotted a ganger sitting with an eight-year old captive boy. The kid stiffened as the ganger wrapped a free arm around his ribcage, her hand resting on his belly. The ganger just smiled down at him as her hand wandered closer to his groin, cooing with a sultry tone.

“You there,” Lagertha addressed her in Trade. “Move to the back.”

The ganger looked up at Lagertha. “Why?”

“Because I said so. And because you’re not supposed to touch the merchandise.” Lagertha motioned to the boy.

The ganger laughed. “Not important. I am Loroi. I do what I want.”

Lagertha put her foot down. “That boy doesn’t belong to you. He belongs to the Loroi who paid for him. And she would not be a happy customer if she found out her prize was sullied by a ganger.”

The Loroi took offense at that. “Sullied?!” She stood, glaring menacingly at Lagertha. “You think I sully? You call me filthy?!”

“Do you remember the blood on my face? Your boss favors me. Don’t believe me, ask her yourself. I don’t think your Seinen will be happy when I tell her you went against her command and touched this one before his deliverance.” Lagertha smirked as the fear suddenly registered in the ganger’s purple eyes. “Now if you want to get your valley buzzed, you can do it with one of my raiders. Or get plunged at an Arcade. I don’t care. But not here. Not now. Not on my watch. So… Move. To. The. Back.”

Not wanting to concede to a human but realizing the gravity of Lagertha’s words, the Loroi begrudgingly moved to the rear. Lagertha took her seat between the children and the Loroi. The eight-year old looked up at her. Lagertha wondered if he was thankful or frightened. Not that it mattered to her.

“Alright, kids,” Lagertha addressed the boys and girls in English. “Listen up. We’re taking you to your new-” She hesitated to say, ‘owners’. “-new families. They are Loroi. Now remember, you are on an alien planet. There is nowhere to run. Nowhere to get help from. You are here to stay. The sooner you accept this, the easier it’ll be. The Loroi that adopted you have paid a lot of money just to have you. Loroi are tough. They are not interested in your crying. They don’t want to hear you beg for help or to take you home. Whoever you are delivered to, that is your new family. That is your home from then on. Do what the Loroi tell you. Behave. And I promise the Loroi will be good to you. Behave poorly, and you die.”

A few kids cringed at the severity of Lagertha’s words. With that said, Lagertha settled into her seat. She felt the gazes of her raiders on her.

Lagertha leaned at them. “Got a problem?”

The raiders shook hands or shrugged, settling in for the long haul.

One Loroi sitting by Lagertha just stared at her.

“What?” Lagertha asked her.

The Loroi merely smirked. “You humans… seem fascinating… seem weird. You make… many strange… movements… many strange… behavior. Makes you seem… special.”

“Great. Thanks,” Lagertha muttered, collapsing back into her seat.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a few kids staring out into space. Whatever was running through their heads, Lagertha’s words were starting to sink in. Her little horror story was not a kind gesture, but at least it made the kids obedient. Once they were delivered to their new owners, maybe they would be happy and forget about their former lives. Besides, as far as Lagertha could tell, the Loroi would not spend good money just to harm these little ones.

Probably.

The scouts zoomed out of the caves on their bikes to survey the paths ahead while the hover trucks filed out of the caves one by one. Partway through the journey, the trucks carrying the captives diverged from the main group. Barely a trace could be found that Eternal Endurance and her gangers had taken up residence in that cave following their departure.
Last edited by Snoofman on Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

Wait, is it Pence, or Spence?

Kinda creepy there with Loroi Saville, but shows that some of the gangers are worse than others.
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

wolf329 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:37 am
Wait, is it Pence, or Spence?

Kinda creepy there with Loroi Saville, but shows that some of the gangers are worse than others.
Spence. Thanks for spotting that. Lot of names to keep track of.

Indeed.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

“I’m coming for you, Ben,” she vowed. “I swear I’m coming to get you. I’m sorry I lied about going to Earth. But your heart was so set on it. But I promise I’m going to get you back. Then we can be a family again.”
I cannot even imagine Ben's reaction after discovering what his mom has been doing to buy their alleged happy ending. :shock: :cry:

gigachad

Post by gigachad »

If I am not mistaken, slavery in the union is prohibited, therefore, obviously, the punishment for such a thing will be obviously cruel, and yes, purely in theory, what can expect these poor children in the clutches of the blue Amazons?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Deliverance V

- I -

Most Belerid cities lie along the coastlines. Civilians seeking a more eventful life or looking for work found residency within the port cities. Others seeking calmer life moved further inland of the rocky mountains and boreal forests. Wealthy individuals, preferring a life away from the hassle of communities, could afford their own housing out in the wilderness. It was luxurious. Tranquil.

Just the way Pine liked it. Pine took a step back from her desk to scrutinize her latest work. This was the eleventh sketch she had designed for the exterior of a new class of cargo freighter, bearing the civilian colors of blue and silver. Soon she could start the final illustrations and send them to her clients. Hopefully a competitor hadn't beaten her to it. Otherwise she would be forced to sell her services for a smaller fee.

Taking a break from her work, Pine stripped down and stretched. The dim rays of dawn illuminated her studio. Unable to sleep last night, Pine decided to finish her sketches. Cracking a few joints and knuckles, she scrutinized herself in a wall mirror. Though tall, fair-skinned and golden-eyed like typical Belerids, Pine was not so slender. Her waist and thighs were unusually thick for a Loroi. Hence why the caregivers at her former creche called her Pine to begin with. “You have strong legs built for the rocky mountains,” they said as endearment. But her young peers would often poke fun at her in her. “There she sway, the thick pine,” they would jest.

Even were it not for the constant bullying, Pine never felt like a warrior. In the middle of her trials, Pine dropped out, losing the respect and love of her former peers. After leaving her warrior life behind, Pine pursued a career in design. The pen and brush were her real talents. Many Loroi approached her, offering substantial sums to create self-portraits or mythical murals. Like other artists striving to stay in business, she always sought to improve her craft. She had the best tools from authentic brushes and paints to a digital art desk. Seeking greater compensation for her talents, Pine devoted several years to studying engineering. Her engineering skills combined with her artistic talent allowed her to draft some of the finest civilian cruisers and vehicles on Taben.

After decades of accumulating enough wealth, Pine could afford to have her own dwelling built in the rocky mountains. While built by hired labor, the house itself was of Pine’s design. Two white double-elliptical shapes, one resting atop a circular wooden deck, giving its single resident a beautiful view of the evergreens. The other structure, which housed her studio, receded beneath the landscape.

Lately, however, financing her home was getting harder. Fewer clients meant an unpredictably unstable income. Hopefully her new occupation would bring in a stable revenue.

Twisting her hips from side to side, Pine stared glumly at her large glutes and buttocks. Fearing that she was gaining weight, Pine had resorted to standing more while she worked and use her spare time to hike through the woods.

Mmrrgh!

Her stomach rumbled. She considered fasting, but fatigue and cravings won out. Throwing her old attire into the laundry and fitting on a new suit, Pine went to the kitchen to fix herself some fish and bein berries, an exotic fruit from the rocky mountains. She admired the evergreen woods outside hazed by a misty drizzle as she ate. Finishing her meal, Pine decided to fix herself noilir. Before she could pour herself a cup, she felt a presence enter her range. Moving to the window, she saw a toinzel baitar pull up. She got nervous as three masked figures stepped out of the vehicle. But only a moment before realizing who these people must have been.

Ping!

The door’s bell rang. Swallowing with anticipation, Pine unlocked the entrance, permitting in the three strangers.

"Greetings, Miss Pine," the masked Loroi said. "We have come with our delivery."

Without time to offer invitation, the three brushed past her and entered. One of them carried a sealed pod while the other two hefted in a crate.

"Here it is," the one carrying the pod said, setting it down and opened up the lid.

Pine swallowed anxiously, looking down to see a Loroi-looking infant completely sealed in a lotai.

"Our seinens send their regards along with your payment," the masked Loroi said. "Four thousand tinnets have been transferred to your account."

>That seems relieving,< sent Pine.

"Now remember, Pine," the Loroi said, "your employers remain anonymous. But we will continue to supply you with more gold along with whatever supplies the child needs. But we will be returning to check the status of the human. Fail to take care of the human, and this arrangement will be terminated. Understand?"

>I understand,< sent Pine. >But why do you insist on speaking?<

"Security," the masked Loroi said simply.

Pine stared down at the human. >What is she called?<

"Vira," the masked Loroi replied. "It means Brave."

>Brave.<

"We will leave you now to your work."

The three Loroi left Pine's home. Their baitar hovered and sped off out of sight.

Pine's focus went back to the baby. Lifting up the pod, Pine placed it in the room’s center. Pouring up her noilir, she rejoined little Vira. And just sat and drank and admired the little one. Even for a human, little Viral was rather cute.

Pine drew in a sharp breath as the toddler began to stir and groan. Her heart skipped a beat as Vira opened her eyes. Setting her cup aside, Pine dared to get a closer look at Vira’s brown eyes and tuff of dark hair. Catching sight of the blue face, little Vira began to cry, her face turning red.

“No, no,” Pine gently cooed. With nervous hands, she delicately slid her hands beneath Vira and lifted her up. With awkward but careful motion, Pine adjusted her hold as she supported the baby’s head with one hand, supporting her weight with the other. The little baby was so warm.

Vira kept crying. No. Not Vira. Brave. That would be her name from now on.

“Not cry, little Vira,” said Pine. “Not cry. You safe. I care you now… I give you care… my child. Yes, Vira. No... Brave. my little Brave.”

Even though Pine knew that this technically was not her baby, she would go on to call little Vira her own as time went on. Life in the Belerid wilderness was liberating, but quite lonely. Now she had some company. Pine had dreamt of having a child of her own. Vira may not have been an authentic Loroi, but she was the most beautiful child Pine had ever seen. And for the moment, Vira belonged to Pine. Pine was truly happy.

Even if Pine was merely hired by anonymous heads to take care of a human child, Pine felt happy. She had no idea what the strangers wanted with the human or why she was hired to take care of Vira in their stead, but they promised to pay well so long as she did her job and kept the child a secret.

- I -

The moderate, calm weather of the south and lack of turbulent weather made the subtropical islands of Amenal a true paradise. While the sun was high and the day hot, lack of humidity made the heat bearable. That was apparent to Zinc as she drove her hydrofoil along the coast of the Southern Island, eager to get home.

She decelerated her hydrofoil. The vessel slowly sank back into the waters as Zinc gently brought the vessel up alongside the dock. Shutting down the engine and tying off the boat, Zinc grabbed her backpack and headed for the house.

She picked up Nickel's presence. >Nickel, I'm home. Where's Silicon?<

>In the outhouse,< Nickel replied.

Zinc followed a path into the jungle until she came to the outhouse. A windowless structure with only a single door. She detected Silicon inside.

>I see you, Zinc,< Silicon sent. >Come in.<

Zinc shivered as she entered. >Stars, Silicon! Have you brought the Belerid climate with you?<

>This house must conceal my work,< sent Silicon, surrounded by several holographic monitors. Her fingers typed on an illuminated keyboard at an amazing speed of three words per solon. >Can't risk exposure. Can’t work efficiently if I am boiling like fish soup.<

>Not sure if you know this, but there is a wonderful place to cool off,< Zinc sent unabashedly. >Called the ocean.<

>Are you trying to be humorous, young one?<

Zinc smiled mischievously. >Perhaps.<

“Hysterical,” Silicon muttered sarcastically. >I can’t leave my station unattended. A coder must be vigilant.<

>I’m sure.<

>Did you complete your assignment?<

Zinc confirmed it. >Kept a safe distance and followed the Amenal Guild Leaders to the Hightide Teahouse on North Isle. Had a meeting with the brand envoys representing the Deinarid Guilds.<

>And?<

>You were right. According to what I could dig up, the Amenal Fishing Guild is planning to lower the price of fish.<

>Predatory pricing,< Silicon sent knowingly. >Typical of monopolies. You have the data?<

Zinc transmitted the data to Silicon’s monitors. This data would fetch a fine price from their clients in Beleri.

>One more thing,< Silicon demanded. >Were you detected?<

Zinc shrugged. >Of course not.<

Silicon stared skeptically.

>I swear.<

Tapping a button on her keyboard, a recording appeared on one of the holographic displays showing numerous Loroi within a circular arena. This was the teahouse. In the center of the teahouse’s arena was a large globe suspended in midair by invisible forces. Within the watery globe swam schools of colorful fish. Zinc saw her recorded self leave a table for the exit. But not before stopping at the monitor’s edge. Recorded Zinc tapped a few buttons on her wrist-comm. The watery globe collapsed, flooding the tea house, sending Loroi into uproar. Schools of fish flopped on the drenched floors. The recorded Zinc rushed out, poorly concealing a wicked grin.

>Remotely sabotage the paramagnets of a fish tank for a prank,< muttered Silicon. >It must have seemed hilarious.<

>Well it was,< admitted Zinc with a grin.

>Not if you get caught,< Silicon warned.

>No one knew it was me.<

>Zinc, when will you ever learn? What are we?<

>Coders.<

>In secret, yes. In the business of selling data. Under Union jurisdiciton, being an unregistered coder is a criminal offense. But you and I are in this profession because it is more profitable. I am a civilian born. Five times your senior. You are a failed initiate to the Gallen caste. I took you in as my student because you are brilliant. But you are rash, inattentive and recklessly compulsive. Now if you hope to share in my profits as well as to inherit my coding skills, then this,< she pointed to the monitor, >will not happen again. Or else one day you will bring the militants right down on us. Do I make myself clear?<

Zinc groaned. >Yes, Silicon.<

Silicon sighed, shutting her monitors down. >No more arguments. Now come. I have something to show you.<

Making their way inside the main house, Zinc felt Nickel's presence once again. What she was not expecting was the undetectable presence of a tiny male with dark skin, black hair and olive green eyes waddling toward Nickel. The little one stopped as he noticed Zinc and Silicon.

Zinc gasped for joy. >It came! It finally came!<

Silicon smiled. >The gangers delivered him yesterday. Along with a few needed supplies.<

Zinc crouched down, timid yet eager to touch him. The toddler stared blankly back at Zinc with lips agape. >He is so cute. What is his name?<

>Kafra. And he is ours now.<

>He has been running around the house non-stop,< Nickel commented. >For a tiny male, he certainly has a lot of stamina.<

Zinc brushed his black hair with her fingers. Kafra flinched away slightly. Zinc giggled. >I want to hold him.<

>Be gentle,< Silicon urged.

Zinc’s fingers wrapped around the little human’s ribs and hoisted him into her embrace. For the rest of the day Zinc simply could not stop admiring and playing with their new adopted human. After feeding and cleaning him, Zinc lay in the main hall with little Kafra, watching a waterpolo windsurfing match between the Belerid Cyclones and the Amenal Bluefins.

>It is late,< sent Silicon. >It's time for little Kafra to sleep.<

>Can't you see I'm enjoying a game with him?< Zinc hugged their little male close to herself.

>Kafra needs to sleep,< Silicon sent again, shutting down the monitor on the wall.

>No fair,< Zinc pouted.

>Stop whining and bring him to my room.<

>Your room? Can't he sleep with me?<

>I paid for him, Zinc. I decide where he sleeps.<

>Can I sleep with you two then?<

>No, Zinc.<

>Please. I promise I won't be disruptive.<

Silicon groaned out a sigh. >One unruly prank from you, and you'll sleep on the beech.<

>Point taken.<

Carrying the little one to Silicon's bedroom, Zinc gently lay Kafra down. The little human squirmed restlessly a bit, only to be playfully tugged back to his spot by Zinc. Growing tired of being tugged back to the same spot, Kafra simply lay back. He yawned, his eyes growing heavy as he settled into the pillows.

>Stars, he is just so adorable,< Zinc beamed with joy, watching him fall asleep.

>He is,< Silicon agreed, changing into her nightwear.

Zinc asked spontaneously, >When can we mate with him?<

>Put a dam in your valley, Zinc,< Silicon reprimanded her. >He is only four tozons old. He's far too young.<

>When then?<

>From what I've studied, humans seem to come of age around fourteen tozons.<

>That long?< Zinc despaired.

>Patience, Zinc.< Silicon lay down in her bed, snuggling up to Kafra's free side. >We'll get our chance to couple with him. I'm just as eager as you. But we must wait for his mind and body to develop first. If we advance on him too soon, we risk breaking him.< Silicon dimmed the lights. >Remember, you may see, you may touch. But do not attempt coupling. Or there will be consequences. Now quiet. I want to sleep.<

Silicon lay on her back, barely touching Kafra's side and shut her eyes.

Zinc stayed up a while longer, content just to lie on her side as she gently rubbed Kafra's chest. It was adorable just to watch him gently wheeze in his sleep. Hard to believe it would take another ten tozons until Kafra was ready.

So soon and yet so far off, thought Zinc. Her loins ached just thinking about it.

- I -

Dot meant to take aim at her intended target but an obstacle blocked her line of fire. Turning on a remote targeting unit, Dot adjusted her rifle’s angle about ten degrees and pulled the trigger.

Bang!

In a flash of motion too quick for a Loroi register, the bullet curved around the obstacle and, guided by the targeting unit, hit its intended target. Dot released her grip on the rifle, grinning with satisfaction.

>I love this new weapon, Vice,< sent Dot.

>I am quite proud of it myself,< Vice sent, observing the fruits of her genius. >A perfect assassin’s weapon.<

Getting their hands on particle beam weaponry or other modern projectiles was as risky as it was difficult. However, forging and constructing their own guns based off of more primitive technologies was not only easier, but made it harder for Sentinels to trace. Such weapons required stricter handling and lacked the quick action of the military’s more sophisticated utilities, but the delivery of their lethal force compensated for this deficiency.

>Dot,< Sling sent from a distance. >It’s the human. It’s misbehaving.<

Dot groaned. >Vice, disarm the rifle. I have a problem to solve.<

Vice obliged, dislodging the magazine before disassembling the rifle for storage. Dot made her way to the other side of the storage house. Vice was an independent mechanic and technician. But Dot and Sling, needing a Loroi of mechanical genius to repair and calibrate their equipment, had approached her many tozons ago. Whatever bounty they reaped, Vice received a cut.

“OUCH!” Someone screamed. “You’re hurting me, you stupid bitch!”

Dot saw Sling wrestling with the little female the gangers had delivered to them two days ago. While the human held the height of a four-year old Loroi, the gangers told them she was closer to nine tozons. Ginger haired and freckle faced, the human certainly possessed an exotic look. That combined with her aggressive demeanor reminded Dot of the fierce red-headed Serens she’d heard about in the war stories from the Charred Steppes.

And fierce this human certainly was. Orla, as her name was, had been combative ever since taking her in. Sling had been struggling to make the little human cooperate, but Orla was defiant to the end. She kicked, punched and scratched against her captors. Most unbearable was when Orla shrieked so loud it hurt the Loroi’s ears. Who knew that humans could screech so? Now Orla was batting against Sling.

“Stop!” Sling commanded the little deviant in Trade. Orla still understood no Trade but would learn with time. Though getting through to her proved difficult.

“Lemme’ gah’!” The little girl cried in her alien language.

Sling’s fury shot through the roof when Orla lashed out with her nails, scratching Sling’s cheek. Hollering out a war cry, Sling smacked the little human across the head. Orla, collapsed, shriveling into a fetal position, shielding her head as Sling volleyed her with more smacks.

Dot rushed over, restraining Sling. >Enough, seedhead! You’ll kill her!<

>Little shitboot scratched me!< Sling sneered.

>You’ve disciplined her enough! Go treat that injury!<

Sling hollered in frustration as she stomped away. Dot’s attention returned to little Orla, who remained shriveled and sniffling. Dot turned on her wrist-comm’s translator.

Orla whimpered through the translator: “I want to go home.”

Dot looked pitifully down at this little weakling. Orla seemed to be still clinging to whatever memory she had back in Terran space.

“This is your home, little one,” Dot said through the translator’s assistance. “Your old home is gone. The sooner you let go, the better you feel.”

“I hate you,” Orla cried.

Dot smirked. “I believe you. You hate me now. But one day, you will love me. Because I will make you strong.” Grabbing the little girl by her bicep, Dot hoisted her to her feet. Stepping a few paces away, Dot crouched down assuming a combative stance. Orla, though still sniveling, looked at her confused. With open palms, Dot waved Orla over. “Come! We play! Wrestle!”

When Orla did not act, Dot provoked her with a few prods before Orla screeched, throwing herself at Dot. Dot laughed, deflecting Orla’s attack, letting the girl collapse to the ground. Snarling, Orla jumped back to her feet and launched herself again. Dot grabbed Orla’s arms, twisting and guiding the human’s fall. For hundreds of solons they sparred and wrestled. If they couldn’t force her cooperation, Dot would let the little human burn out her frustrations through harmless wrestling. Dot remembered such disciplinary techniques at her creche growing up. Even when Orla hurled herself with such hateful expression, Dot laughed as she struggled with the little one.

As Orla squirmed, wrestling with the Loroi on the ground, Dot took the initiative to relax her by jabbing her sensitive parts.

Orla shielded her armpits as the Loroi tickled her. “No! Stop it! I hate you!”

Dot heaved out as she refused to let up, “I see you smile. You want laugh.”

“No, I,” Orla heaved, “I don’t-” Huff! Huff! “I- I want to hate- no stop!” Orla couldn’t stop herself from giggling as Dot unleashed her tickle attacks. She still hated the Loroi, but at least Dot was not like the other mean one.

After tiring themselves, Dot lay sprawled on the ground with Orla beside her.

>You look ridiculous,< Sling snarled. She patched her cheek with a healing strip. >Why did you even waste your money on that thing?<

>This thing,< Dot sent back, gazing at a now tuckered out Orla, >has a lotai. If we can make her listen, she will sneak into places we cannot go. Get close to targets we cannot approach. She will be very useful. We will have an edge no other assassin has.<

>You could have bought us a male instead,< Sling groaned. >At least that had a more practical purpose.<

>The males on auction were too expensive. Orla was cheaper. An easy win. Besides, I wanted a girl. I’ve always wanted a daughter.<

>A daughter?! That thing?!< Sling scoffed. >You’re fooling yourself. That animal will never be your daughter. Besides, who would want to pay so much for such a rotten cancer pit?<

>Stop being such a biscuit graveyard. Orla will learn.< Dot tenderly stroked the girl’s ginger curls. Growing bolder, she brushed her fingers over Orla’s pretty, little head. Her fingers buzzed with euphoric sensation. The rumors were certainly true. The simple act of touching humans was in and of itself addictive.

Orla, noticing Dot’s intrusive stroking, scooted away from her. “Don’t touch me, you weirdo!”

Dot just laughed. “Weirdo?” she said through the translator. “You humans are funny things.”

“You Loroi are so bloody creepy,” Orla shot back.

“Creepy?” said Dot. That was a tough word even for the translator as it presented several possible translations.

Mmhrr!

Dot raised an eyebrow as Orla flinched awkwardly while touching her rumbling stomach. Even Loroi recognized that gurgle. “You are hungry. I can tell.” She jumped to her feet. “Come. Tonight we eat leviathan.”

“Ew,” Orla spat. “I hate your Loroi food.”

Dot could not blame her. They tested which of their foods was agreeable with human anatomy. Among the few Taben fish fit for Orla’s consumption, leviathan was the winner. “I promise this food is good. You will like.”

Orla wanted to sit and defy, but submitted as her cravings won out. Dot could not help but admire her new little girl's attempt at defiance.

>That thing is a liability,< Sling sneered. >Are you sure it will even be useful?<

>Orla will learn,< Dot insisted. >She will fight, struggle and burn out her defiance. And when she sees how strong we have made her, she will love us. I look forward to training her myself. She will make a fine assassin.<

Sling snorted skeptically. >I still say you should've bought a male.<

>If you want your valley buzzed,< sent Dot, >go to the Arcades.<

Vice returned with some take-out containers. Upon discovering that leviathan was indeed good even to humans, Orla wolfed down her fish.

>Look at it,< Sling glared disgustedly at the little human. >Gobbling up its meal like a glutton.< Orla glared right back. Sling winked, sticking out her tongue at the little stinker. Orla replied in kind by offering Sling the Trudeau salute.

- I -

The Aureate Heels were a rich family of influential magnates. Their manor nestled in the mountainous inlands of Beleri. Known for their ruthless yet effective methods of accumulating wealth, the Aureate Heels were involved in numerous industries across Taben, civilian and military alike. While their profits hurt during the current Emperor’s reformations, they had clever ways of hiding some of their wealth. So long as the Aureate Heels met quotas satisfactory to the local Taben Council, their Tabenid friends within the military were happy to keep Imperials and Mizols out of their business.

The Aureate Heels were not just a family, but an object of respect and envy among business owners great and small across Taben, with enough influence to win themselves mating rights. Their family consisted of a straight line of descendants stretching as far back as the Reunification days. Its oldest living kin was Ardor, nearing her three-hundred and eighty-first year. Though old, her investment in cosmetics and surgeries helped to slow her aging and preserve some of her beauty. Her gray and blue hair was shaved most often. Made her seem more appealing to her military associates.

Among her entrepreneurial talents was her capacity to conceal secrets. Including the fact that she paid tiny commissions to Eternal Endurance to hide some of their wealth. Or that she had bought humans from said ganger.

Now Ardor stood in the entry chamber of her family’s manor, inspecting the two new humans she had won at auction. The gangers, after delivering the humans along with a few supplies for their consumption, just left. The two specimens just stood, slightly slouching with gazes to the floor.

“Look at you… beautiful creatures,” Ardor said adoringly, yet with a condescending tone. She reached a hand for the twelve-year old girl, Gloria, who flinched away slightly. “Calm! I will not hurt you unless you incline me.” Her blue fingers brushed against Gloria’s cheek. Ardor’s digits tingled with sensation even without detecting the girl’s presence. Just as she wanted. Her athletic build also made her ideal for the magnate’s plans.

Next Ardor reached over to the ten year old boy. Cody, as his name was, did not flinch in as much as he regarded the blue elf-woman as prey regards a predator. Ardor simply grinned at the boy, her fingers stroking his cheek and dark hair, tracing them behind his skull. She took in the sight of him; slanted eyes, pink-yellow complexion, small nose, petite mouth with thick lips. Ardor could not be certain if such complexion existed even among Loroi. Alien yet gorgeous to behold.

“You do not speak Trade, do you?” said Ardor, earning her blank looks from her new humans. “As I thought. But you will learn.” She sent out to Housemaster Dew who came within moments. >Escort our new arrivals to their rooms. Keep them there for now. Prepare the evening feast for us. Also our new arrivals seem to need a bath.<

Housemaster Dew bowed. >It shall be done as you wish.< Taking the humans by their forearms, she led the children away.

By evening, the rest of the Heels had returned from their trip to Sezabi. It was the annual Truce Festival and they had handpicked everything they wanted to celebrate from the comfort of their home.

>I can’t believe fish has doubled in price in just the last year,< Lustberry whined, passing through the hefty doors of their manor.

>The Amenal fish shops are cheaper,< her great grandmother, Black Box criticized her. >You insisted on supporting Beleri fishers this year.<

>They deserve it. I don’t want to support Amenal fishers.<

>You have invested stocks in Amenal companies, hypocrite!< Mercury, daughter to Black Box, criticized.

Lustberry sent with snark, >A smart tycoon does not keep all her fish in the same basket, cancer boat!<

>Spoiled brat!<

>Mother! Lustberry! Stop now,< Zeal urged. >Let us not fight just before the holiday is starting.<

>Yes, mother,< Lustberry conceded. She sent out to the servants to come help with the supplies and gifts they had bought on their trip to Sezabi.

>Let the servants be, Lustberry. More likely they are busy,< sent Black Box.

>They must help,< sent Lustberry. >What else do we pay them for? Servants! Come and help!<

>Stop being lazy for once and carry some weight, siirrin,< Mercury teased. Siirrin was a derogatory term for someone carrying an unearned privilege.

Lustberry winked an eye, jabbing out her tongue. >Tail-wag!<

>Stop now!< Zeal reminded them.

Lustberry called again, >Servants! Where the shred are you?!<

>The servants are occupied.< All eyes turned to Ardor, descending the stairs to the upper floor. Ardor sent further, >So let them be. They are making preparations for tonight after a delivery we received.<

>What delivery?< Black Box asked.

Ardor confirmed as she sent the image of a boy and a girl. Having no need to keep secrets, the Loroi gasped in realization.

>They’re here! When can we see them?!< Lustberry asked eagerly.

>Later,< Ardor confirmed.

>How wonderful.< Mercury was looking forward to it. Really looking forward to it.

>In that case, I’m going to bathe and dress,< Lustberry skipped away with her gifts in her arms. >I want to look by best tonight with the new jewelry and attire Zeal bought me.<

>First you help us with the supplies,< Mercury demanded.

>Can’t,< Lustberry smiled whimsically. >Busy.<

>Lustberry,< Ardor sent sternly. >You will help us carry in the supplies. Put those gifts away and come back.<

Lustberry groaned. >As you command, Ancient One.<

Out of earshot, Mercury sent to her daughter, >You spoil her rotten.<

>I cannot help the way she behaves,< Zeal defended.

>Maybe she would behave less like a privileged siirrin and more a proper Heel if you did not shower her with gifts constantly,< sent Black Box.

>She is young,< sent Zeal. >Barely twenty-six tozons and still learning. Besides, she has no daughter of her own. We were fortunate enough to meet a male just once in our lives except for her. Don’t you remember how devastated she was when her request for a mating encounter was denied?<

It was true. While high-status civilians could earn themselves mating privileges, not all of the Aureate Heels’ wealth could buy a mating encounter. Mating rights required lots of bureaucratic approval along with proof of good reputation. And while Lustberry had the brilliance of a true tycoon, she had yet to emotionally mature.

>I still say you spoil her,< sent Mercury.

>I just want her to be happy.<

They left for the kitchen to leave some of their supplies.

Ardor tapped her wrist-comm to write a message.

Ardor: Ghost, we have new arrivals. Stop your training for today and come home.

This whole situation just felt so surreal to Gloria. Barely a few weeks ago she was training at her school for her upcoming balance beam competition on Aldea. The training, the pressure to win and hours and hours of stretching and flips had been a lot for Gloria to handle. Which is why her friends convinced her to sneak out with them to a pop-metal concert on the outskirts of the city. It seemed all so foolish not to even tell her parents where they were going. Next thing she knew, she was dizzy from the mini-shots her friends managed to get their hands on. Or maybe it was a drug slipped into one of them. Must have been since it sent her into the arms of some strangers who took her for a ride and strapped her into a cargo container with thirty-some other children.

The pirates that had kidnapped her had left her in the custody of blue-skinned elves. The Loroi. Gloria and her friends had all heard the stories about the Loroi. She had seen a few on public broadcasts when a Union consulate opened on Aldea, but never saw a real Loroi in person. Not until her arrival on this alien world.

After the pirates and Loroi crooks just left them at this manor, the new Loroi led Gloria and Cody to the room they were now locked in. The room itself was not unpleasant. Murals of alien figures adorned the walls including scenery of ocean waves. Sunlight poured into the room, slowly fading now at an unusually fast rate. Were the days shorter on this planet?

Smash!

The twelve-year old girl gasped with fright as the chair Cody used to break the room’s only window simply ricocheted. “Cody, will you knock it off?”

“I’m busting our way out of here,” he boasted.

Cody was a street kid. From what Gloria could learn in the short time they had known each other, his parents didn’t care much for him, so he spent much of his time with his gang of friends on the streets of the Aldea sectors. This much he had shared during their imprisonment by the pirates. As was typical of street kids, Cody was trying act tough during his situation.

“That glass is probably fiberglass,” Gloria tried to get him to stop. “No matter how many times you hit it, it ain’t gonna’ break.”

“You don’t know that.” Taking in a breath, the ten-year old swung again. The chair bounced back.

Gloria sighed, frustrated. “Knock yourself out, man.”

With an aggravated groan, Cody tossed the chair aside. “Fuck! This is so unreal!”

A beep came from the room’s only door before it slid open. Cody sprinted for the door until someone caught him by surprise and, in a blurring twirl, sent Cody sprawling back into the room. Groaning with fury, Cody hopped back to his feet and charged his assaulter again to throw a punch. But the assaulter intercepted Cody’s arm before tugging him off balance. Cody tumbled to the floor right before the stranger pinned him to the floor.

The assaulter spoke in perfect English, “Cut it out!”

It took a few moments for Gloria to register that the assaulter pinning Cody to the floor was human. A young one like them apparently. She looked slightly shorter than Gloria and wore a jumpsuit like the aliens. Unlike Gloria’s slender, athletic form, this new girl had a more apple body shape. She must have been strong, considering the toned muscles flexing through her suit and how easily she pinned Cody.

“I said cut it out,” the girl reminded Cody.

Cody cursed, squirming. “Get off, you stupid bitch!”

“I’ll get off when you stop fighting. There’s no point. Even if you could escape from here, where’re you going to go? There’s nowhere to run. Now are you going to calm down?”

Cody kept trying to squirm free.

The girl asked again with a forceful squeeze, “Are you going to calm down?”

Within moments, Cody stopped squirming.

“Better!” The girl released him. “Now if you’re done fighting, I’m here to talk.”

Cody stood back up, Gloria walking up by his side. They took notice of another Loroi standing just outside their room. She said something neither Cody nor Gloria understood. The new girl apparently could since she answered something back in their tongue.

“Um, you’re human,” Gloria more asked than stated.

“Duh,” the new girl turned her attention back to them. “My name is Ghost.” She motioned to the Loroi standing behind her. “This is Stonefist. She is my trainer.”

“Ghost? Stonefist?!” Cody scoffed. “What kind of name is that?”

“The one they gave me.”

“‘They’?” asked Gloria. “You mean the… Loroi?” Ghost nodded. “How old are you? How long have you been here?”

“I was taken when I was twelve,” Ghost replied. “By my math, it’s been two years. Fourteen now.”

“How’d you get here? Are you from Aldea like us?”

“I’m from Esperanza. My parents and I left on a transport heading for a new colony world in the Great Wastelands. But we got attacked by pirates. I’m guessing they got you too.”

Gloria grunted. “Something like that.”

“Figures,” Ghost muttered. “Doesn’t matter anymore. You have now been adopted by the Loroi family, the Aureate Heels.”

“Dumbest name I’ve ever heard,” Cody laughed.

“Cody,” Gloria hissed at him. “You’re not helping.”

“Shut up,” Ghost mumbled. “Listen! I’m going to make this quick and easy for you to understand. The Aureate Heels are in charge here. From now on they are your bosses. So if you know what’s good for you, you do whatever they tell you.”

“And what if we just tell them to go screw themselves?” Cody shot back.

“You want to live?” Cody’s tough-guy persona seemed to vanish as Ghost loomed over him. “Then you do as you’re told. Because you don’t want to know what Loroi do to bad little boys.”

“I… I’m not little,” Cody barely muttered, trying to sound fearless.

“But, Ghost,” said Gloria, “I don’t understand. Why are we here? What do the Aureate Heels want from us?”

“You’ll see,” said Ghost. “For now, I’ll just say that you’re both going to be training just like I’ve been doing for two years now.”

“Train for what?”

Stonefist said something. “Annan,” Ghost said back. “The Heels want to see you both. Follow me. And remember to behave.”

Cody just scoffed. Ghost gripped him by the shoulder before he could take a step. “Try to run again,” she warned. “I dare you.”

“Okay,” Cody snarled, shaking her off.

Cody and Gloria followed Ghost through the vast halls of the Loroi manor with Stonefist close behind. It was a huge place. Its vast chambers made human mansions pale in comparison. More painted walls of Loroi and alien scenery adorned the halls. Mostly of Loroi that seemed to be engaged in some medieval form of commerce or sailing treacherous seas. They came to a new chamber, its atmosphere bright but moist. Gloria’s and Cody’s jaws dropped as they came in the presence of five nude Loroi.

All eyes of the Aureate Heels fell on the two newcomers. The eldest among them, Ardor, spoke in Trade. Ghost said, “The Elder Ardor, chief of this house and family, welcomes you both.” A small grin found itself on Ardor’s lips as she beckoned with a finger. Ghost began to strip.

“What’re you doing?” Gloria said, taken aback.

“What does it look like?” she said back. “We’re here to take a bath. Strip down.”

“Now?! Right here?!”

“Just do it.”

Though reluctant, Gloria and Cody began to undress. All five Heels stared with intense fascination as their Terran garments were removed. Lustberry stepped out of the bath, leaving a trail of droplets as she glided toward Gloria, who had just taken off her bra. Lustberry bent over to pick up the alien garment, giggling as she sent back to her kin, >Human females actually wear this stuff?<

Mercury rolled her eyes. >Apparently.<

Lustberry laughed as she tossed the bra to a servant, who seemed equally perplexed at the human clothing. Her gaze locked onto Cody as he finally freed himself of his boxers, revealing all of his attributes. All the Loroi present could not help but ogle. Ardor seemed the more disciplined among them, staring calmly and still, her grin as unmoving as her submerged body. Upon beckoning the children to join, Lustberry ushered them both in from behind, her fingers tingling as they pressed against their backs.

>Stars!< Lustberry was ecstatic just by the touch. >These humans radiate. Especially the boy.<

>Not here, Lustberry,< Ardor commanded. >Control yourself.<

>Yes, Elder,< Lustberry complied.

Cody and Gloria awkwardly stepped into the hot water, taking a seat on a submerged seat along the bath’s edge opposite of Ardor’s spot. Gloria sunk lower down to conceal herself. Even with less sensitive parts to shield, Cody slouched, looking up at the blue women’s gazes.

>They look nervous,< sent Black Box, who sat on the bath’s edge, only her lower legs submerged. >Like they’ve never been in a bath before.<

>They’ll adjust,< Ardor assured. She spoke in Trade to Ghost, who translated on her behalf: “Welcome, young ones. You see before you Ardor. I am the eldest and ruling body of this house. The Loroi around me are my kin. From my daughter to my great great grand daughter, these are Black Box, Mercury, Zeal and Lustberry. We are curious, what do your spoken names mean?”

“I…” Gloria mustered up her courage to speak. “My personal name means Glory. Akinyemi, according to my father, means ‘valor suits me’.”

>Sounds like a warrior’s name,< Mercury commented. >Though the human doesn’t look like one.<

“Cody Jeo,” Cody muttered. “I don’t know what my name means. Never really cared.”

Mercury scoffed, >How could anyone not understand the meaning of their own name?<

>It doesn’t matter. We can figure it out later,< Ardor sent. Ghost carried on for her: “Well then… Gloria… Cody… as you are both undoubtedly aware, I, Ardor, have adopted you both. You now belong to our family. Think of me as your warden.”

“But why?” asked Gloria. “What do you want from us?”

Ghost said on Ardor’s behalf: “I want you to serve as our spies. Our family is one of the richest on Taben. Our family’s lineage stretches back to before the days of reunification. I have lived under the rule of four generations. I witnessed my great grandmother, Passion, inherit the wealth and responsibility of managing this house’s affairs from her own mother before her death. Passion in turn passed on her inheritance to her next successor and that one to the next. My own mother, Verve, inherited the role and wealth until she passed it all on to me. We Aureate Heels are involved in numerous industries across this planet. But we have competitors trying to undermine us. Particularly the Amenal Guilds. Tell me, children, do you know what the most valuable commodity is in today’s markets? Can you guess?”

“Gold?” Cody guessed.

Gloria took a whack at it. “Fuel.”

Ardor carried on, “Good guesses. But the answer is data. Information. Information about your competitors’ plans. New business opportunities. Improving work processes. Product performance. Customer demographics.” Even without sanzai, Ardor could tell that Cody and Gloria seemed to be struggling to comprehend all of this. She simply chuckled. Ignorance was humorous as it was advantageous. “You will learn with time.”

“But I still don’t understand,” Gloria said. “Why do you want us to be spies? Why does it have to be us?”

Ardor replied, “Because of your lotai. Your natural, human ability to elude detection makes you valuable. You could infiltrate our competitors secure facilities to steal whatever I demand. You could even sabotage our competitors’ endeavors and they would never suspect who was responsible. Our first ward, Ghost, succeeded her first test recently. And you, Gloria… I am impressed by your talents. You and Ghost could learn much from one another. And Cody,” her gaze fell on the boy. “Cody will be quite useful in many ways as well.”

The assembled Loroi flared with ecstasy at the thought of Cody’s usefulness.

This was all a lot for Gloria and Cody to take in. These Loroi had kidnapped and bought them to work for them. “So we’re your slaves then?” Gloria spat.

Ardor scoffed, “In as much as we are slaves to enterprise and industry.”

“What if we say no?” Cody suddenly barked.

“That would be very unwise on your part,” Ardor warned. “Do not test us, young humans. Even as civilians, Loroi can be dangerous when angered. As I said, you are now my wards. And a good ward obeys her warden. It is in your best interests.”

Gloria meant to ask a question before Cody cut her off, “If we do what you want, what do we get?”

Mercury laughed. >Spoken like a true broker. I like this male.<

Ardor agreed and answered, “You will have food, shelter and protection. For every assignment you complete, we will shower you with gifts and fortune. But only if you prove your reliability and loyalty to our family.”

“If we do what you want,” said Gloria, “will you let us go home?”

Ardor replied, “This is your home.”

“I mean back to Aldea. To our families. I want to go back to my parents-”

Ardor rose from the water, exposing herself as she stared intently at Gloria. Gloria lowered her eyes fearfully while Cody just stared, completely stunned. “Your former life is behind you,” Ardor told them sternly. “Forget about it. This is your home now. We are your family. I will be very upset if you choose to defy me. Just ask Ghost how we deal with defiance.” She stepped out of the bath, droplets falling off her form. “We will speak no more of this today. You will join us for the evening feast. Now come.”

The children were guided out of the bath to a gate with a gridded floor. The gate hummed as they passed through it. The children shivered nervously as they felt an invisible force tingle their skins, bedazzled at how quickly they were dry after passing through. Servants came, offering them colorful robes, slippers and jewelry. Lustberry grinned with satisfaction as a servant fitted a golden necklace littered with jewels around her neck, the same her mother gifted her. Black Box was crowned with a crown of silver feathers. Mercury was fitted with a golden ornament curving behind her left ear, resting on her left temple. The Loroi looked like alien geishas. Gloria was surprised that even Ghost was allowed to indulge in such luxury. Cody grumbled as he was fit with is own robe. He whined how it made him look girly. Lustberry surprised him when she fit a silk collar around his neck, a knife trapped within a golden circle hanging over his Adam’s apple. Even Gloria was gifted a silver bracelet from Ardor.

The Heels laughed, twirling and dancing their way to the dining hall as if in celebration.

"Do these Loroi always celebrate like this?" Gloria whispered to Ghost.

"Today is special," said Gloria. "Today is the beginning of Truce."

"Truce?"

"A Taben holiday. When algae in Taben's oceans bloom, fish and whales rush to these algal blooms to feed. It's also an opportune time when Loroi to celebrate with huge feeding frenzies and sports. Mostly boat races."

"Sounds big," Cody said offhandedly.

"You have no idea."

The children were bombarded with a full display of culinary art and fine cuisine as they were ushered to the feasting table. The table was populated with fruits and vegetables none had ever seen before. Servants put out platters of many kinds of alien fish and whale meats, cooked or steamed.

>Cody sits with me,< Lustberry stated firmly, coiling her arms around his as she tugged him to the table.

>Oh no you don’t,< sent Mercury. >The eldest get to decide who sits with the male.<

>Get lost,< Lustberry barked. >I’ve never even been with a male before. Stop ruining our intimate moment.<

>I’ll show you an intimate moment-<

>Compose yourselves,< Ardor commanded, taking her seat at the table. >You will both share or not sit with the male at all.< Even as a family that made entrepreneurial decisions collectively, Ardor was the primary owner of the house and therefore had the final say.

Both Loroi obliged. All throughout the meal, the Loroi, Heels and servants alike, were intermittently taciturn. Though occasionally there was laughter fueled by the silent gossip transcending human comprehension. Being in the presence of a people that seldom talked was disturbingly awkward for the young humans. Especially queer was how Lustberry and Mercury seems to dote over Cody. Gloria, as she ate the alien food (fortunately agreeable with her stomach), just watched Lustberry gently stroking Cody’s hair. Or Mercury who would scoop up something from the table to feed to him. Sometimes she would coax Cody with a motion of her fingers. Cody would try to take it, only for Mercury to move it out of his reach. She would only feed him when he agreed to eat from her fingers. Bewildered Gloria simply couldn’t understand why the Loroi lavished Cody with such attention. Like they’d never seen a boy before.

“Gloria,” said Ghost, sitting beside her. “Black Box wants to know about the sport you perform.”

“Wha?” Gloria was pulled back to reality. “You mean… balance beam? I… wouldn’t really know what to say about it.”

“Black Box wants to know how long you’ve been training.”

The last thing Gloria wanted to do was to indulge her abductors, but defiance seemed less wise than cooperation at this point. “Well, I’ve been training since I was eight…” Gloria went on to explain the FIG rules of gymnastics, the principle of moments at equilibrium, her strict diet to give her light-weight body the energy it needed to perform her stunts. Black Box leaned on her elbow, shoveling a bite or taking a sip as she absorbed the translation with fascination.

“What sort of movements can you execute?” Black Box asked.

“Well, uh,” Gloria thought it over. “I’m pretty good at leaping… handstand… scissors leap… oh, and uh, cartwheel.”

“Show us!”

The last thing Gloria wanted was to perform for these people. Especially when she had just eaten. But she knew she had no choice. The Loroi’s focus fell on her as Gloria took a stance on the open floor. The Loroi were quite impressed by the girl’s movements and her ability to hold her body weight up by the strength of her arms alone in so many exotic positions. Most impressive was her split handstand.

>Who knew that humans could be so nimble?< Zeal commented, very entertained.

>What’s the big deal?< Mercury shrugged. >I’ve seen Loroi dancers perform acrobats.<

>Don’t be such a joykill.< Zeal commanded Gloria back to the table. >She will make a fine infiltrator. Perhaps she may surpass Ghost.<

>Ghost will have some competition.< Lustberry grinned, a bit tipsy from the wine she inhaled. She was also amused by Gloria's stunts. >At the very least, Gloria will make a very entertaining pet.<

The Loroi laughed. All except for Ardor.

>You will not call any of the humans ‘pets’,< Ardor warned. >Remember we must entice them into our service.<

>But they belong to us,< Lustberry scoffed. >What does it matter what we call them?<

>Insults do not win confidence, Lustberry.<

>As you wish, oh Ancient One,< Lustberry complied acerbically. She ordered a servant over to refill her wine.

The feasting and drinking continued. A few of the Heels, especially Lustberry, were mildly addled.

Gloria, feeling overwhelmed by the festivities as well as the stress of her situation, asked to be excused. Ardor permitted it. Ghost, who was equally exhausted from the day’s training, was permitted to accompany her. And make sure Gloria didn’t try anything foolish like running away.

Before leaving, Ardor stopped them. Rising from the table, Ardor loomed over Gloria and said, “Remember, young one. What you have seen and tasted here is merely a sample of our good fortunes. Do as we instruct, and I promise you will prosper. And will always have a place at our table. I have the power to give it… but also to take it away. And one more thing. Gloria was your old name from Terran culture. From now on, your name is Shade.”

“What?!” Gloria wanted to voice her outrage. “But my name is Gloria. You can’t-”

Ghost held her firmly by the shoulder, urging her, “Don’t bother arguing. It’s not worth it.”

Ardor turned her gaze to Cody, entangled between Mercury and a buzzed Lustberry. “And Cody. From now on your name is Stellato.”

Cody voiced no protest. Seemed pointless by now. Especially considering how nervous these ogling Loroi made him feel. He wasn’t sure if he should follow the girls out as they left. But the Loroi seemed to have other ideas for him as Lustberry held him firmly in his seat. He froze as Lustberry’s finger traced under his chin, lifting his gaze to meet hers.

Beautiful dark eyes he has, thought Lustberry in her tiddly state. Simply the feel of him filled her with ecstasy. Her essence glowed with desire, her nerves tingling like the way sweet berries tingle the tongue. >I want him.<

>What did you just say?!< sent Black Box.

>I want him,< Lustberry sent, more aggressively. The effects of alcohol flooded out all coherent thought, until Lustberry’s brain brimmed over with fierce passion. >Right now.<

Black Box regarded her great grand daughter with apprehension. >Don’t you think it’s a bit premature-<

>I’ll allow it,< sent Ardor.

>But mother!< Black Box sent incredulously.

>Why else do you think I bought him?< Ardor sent. >Lustberry has never felt the touch of a male before. Let her enjoy herself during the algal bloom.<

Lustberry gazed with admirable gratitude at her great great grandmother. >Thank you,< she sent, her sanzai heavy with craving. Lustberry pulled the confused boy to his feet. She gently stroked his cheek, her fingers ablaze with sensual sensation. “Come, little Stellato,” she said in Trade. “I want to see your hot blade.”

>Bring him to my bedroom,< sent Mercury, just as ecstatic. >I have a bigger cot.<

>Fine, but I get to milk him first,< Lustberry affirmed as she pulled the boy along.

>Well,< Zeal set her wine down as she followed too. >If you’re going to have fun with him, I’m joining.<

>I’ll go fetch some philtre,< sent Mercury.

Zeal cocked an eyebrow. >Philtre? Are you sure that’s safe?<

>I only want to give our little Stellato some stimulation. It’s going to be a long night.<

The jittery triad of magnates giggled, smothering the boy with caresses and licentious affection. The servants watched anxiously, feeling the lust radiating from their superiors as they left for Mercury’s bedroom with their prize in tow. Gloria watched, completely clueless to the telepathic banter transpiring among these drunken Loroi. She felt compelled to ask where they were taking Cody, but was pulled along by Ghost to their room.

Ardor smiled with satisfaction before addressing the servants, >Always remember, whatever happens in this house stays in this house. Do your work. Keep our family’s secrets. And I promise each of you will get a taste eventually.<

The servants obliged and bowed. Upon their master’s order, they began clearing the table.

>Mother,< Black Box sent, still seated at the table. >I don’t approve of this behavior on our daughters’ part.<

>What’s the problem?< Ardor asked.

>The problem is they are Loroi. He is not. It will be like… mounting an animal.<

>Not unless he is our template race.<

>Mother, you don’t actually believe in that, do you?<

>It doesn’t matter either way. Let them have their fun with Stellato. Lustberry is not likely to receive a child of her own anytime soon. Much less get to meet an authentic Loroi male. This will pacify her. Besides, animal or not, at least he looks like us.<

Black Box rolled her eyes. >To each her own then.<

Gloria lay stunned in her bed. Upon arriving back to their assigned room, she crashed into her bed and let it all out. First they took her from her home. Then they took her freedom. Now they took her name. The stress and trauma of her situation proved too much to handle. She wept silently.

“For God’s sake,” Ghost muttered. After throwing off her robe, she pulled on a jumpsuit. “Pull yourself together.”

“How can you do it?” Gloria cried. “How can you just lie there and do what these slave-drivers tell you? It’s not right.”

Ghost lay on her own bed. “It’s the way things are, Shade.”

“My name isn’t Shade,” Gloria cried. “It’s Gloria.”

“Gloria. Shade. Call yourself whatever you want. Just as long as you do what the Loroi command.”

Gloria sat up as she gazed sad but hopefully at Ghost. “Ghost, please, help me. Maybe we can get out of here. We could find a way back to Aldea.”

“Not going to happen.”

“Ghost, please. I just want to go home. My parents are good people. They’d take care of you if-”

Ghost shot up, glaring daggers at Gloria. “Shut your mouth! Now listen. No amount of pleading or crying is going to help you here. I don’t want to go back to Terran space. Back there my life was dull. Ordinary. Unexciting. Here I have a purpose. I got everything I need. Everything I could possibly want. I’ve worked hard to get to where I am. And I’m not about to lose it.”

“But what about your parents? They must miss you. Don’t you want to see-”

“My parents are dead,” Ghost barked. “Killed by raiders. I have nothing waiting for me back in Terran space. Now just shut up, will you?!”

Gloria buried her tearing eyes into her pillow, trying to muffle her wails.

Ghost groaned aggravation. Why couldn’t Gloria just accept her fate? “I know how you feel. I felt the same way as you do when I was first brought here. I had dreams of running away, thinking I’d outsmart the Aureate Heels and find a way back to Esperanza. Tried it a few times and got caught every single time. You want to run away, go ahead. But I promise they will catch you and they will make you sorry for it. Trust me. I learnt the hard way. All you have to do is obey them and they’ll treat you well. Sooner or later, you’ll learn.”

Gloria just kept crying. Unable to bear the sad sight, Ghost plopped herself on Gloria’s cot. With hesitant, awkward motion, she gently stroked Gloria’s shoulder. Gloria kept crying, but the wailing and sniffling stopped. It wasn’t enough to take the pain away, but the touch of Ghost’s hands gave Gloria some solace.

“I know it’s hard,” Ghost said. “But there’s nothing we can do. You’ll learn. One day… you’ll learn.” She made to lie back on her bed.

Gloria gripped her arm pleadingly. “What’s your real name?”

Ghost turned back to Gloria, stunned by the sudden contact. “It’s Ghost.”

“No, the name your parents gave you,” Gloria pleaded.

“Look, Shade, I’m not-”

“I won’t run away,” Gloria swore. “I won’t cause you problems. I promise. But only if you tell me your real name.”

Seeing how futile it was arguing with this hopeless girl, Ghost gave in. “I used to be called… Jesse.”

“Jesse,” said Gloria, offering a weak smile. “It’s a nice name. Will you promise me… promise to call me Gloria in secret?”

Ghost sighed. As pointless as it seemed, it clearly meant a lot to this newcomer. As long as it got her to cooperate. “Only if you remember to call me Ghost. And not be a pain in my ass. I now have to help Stonefist in training you.”

Gloria nodded. “I swear.”

Ghost lay back on her cot.

Gloria finally stopped crying, wiping the tears away. “Ghost.”

Ghost groaned. “Now what?”

“I’m worried about Cody. Shouldn’t he be here with us?”

“He’s Stellato now. And don’t worry about him. He’s fine. The Loroi are probably just having fun with him.”

“What do you mean by ‘fun’?”

“They’re getting their valleys buzzed.”

Gloria was more confused now. “What?”

“You know… they’re sheathing the blade.”

Gloria cocked an eyebrow.

“Uh, milking the basin?”

Still did not hit home.

Ghost sighed. Gloria obviously wasn’t familiar with Trade expressions. “They’re..." Forming a circle with her left index and thumb, she inserted her right index finger into the hole. In and out.

Gloria’s eyes went wide with shock. “Oh god! You got to be kidding! You mean they… with… but that’s disgusting! He’s only a kid!”

Ghost rolled onto her side, astounded by Gloria’s naivety. “Not to a Loroi. This conversation is over. Go to sleep.”

But Gloria couldn’t sleep. Not with this terrible realization haunting her. Her sadness was suddenly replaced by horrifying revulsion. Just what kind of savages were these Loroi?
Last edited by Snoofman on Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:14 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

God damn does this make my blood boil. I gotta say, you've done a great job writing this story, and making hated characters. I just hope some justice makes its way to every last one of those wretched bitches.

gigachad

Post by gigachad »

shit, these xenos should be punished, the very idea of stealing children and selling them to aliens causes rage and hatred and yes these alien bitches should understand that in theory a trained man is better suited for the role of a fighter and saboteur but even so they revel only in lust which says a lot about them. Such slavery apparently hangs the Damocles sword over their heads, one telepathic sending about human slaves to the local mizol and the massacre will begin.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

gigachad wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:08 pm
shit, these xenos should be punished, the very idea of stealing children and selling them to aliens causes rage and hatred and yes these alien bitches should understand that in theory a trained man is better suited for the role of a fighter and saboteur but even so they revel only in lust which says a lot about them. Such slavery apparently hangs the Damocles sword over their heads, one telepathic sending about human slaves to the local mizol and the massacre will begin.
Yes it is repugnant... but it is kind of normal for Loroi at least... although being gang members morality is not so much in the cards as threats or intimidation or whoever is in charge creating the morality or lack thereof... locally at least.

Really the closest analogue is human gangs. Women are often shared in gangs, unless she belongs to the gang boss... since unless you want a coup or risk death you don't mess with her.

When Russia defeated Germany in WW2 German women were raped often enough that some became clever and attached themselves to generals or army leaders. In so doing they no longer had to worry about the abuse that occurred with gang rape. Other women disguised themselves ir did what they could to look ugly so no one would want to rape them.

Unfortnately... children are DEFINITELY not that clever and until they have already suffered they won't be.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

gigachad wrote:
For some Loroi, at least in this fanfic, it doesn't even occur to them that they have boys on their hands since Loroi menfolk as I understand it hit puberty as early if not earlier than human children. Some of the xenos may revel only in lust, but some may genuinely care about the children they adopt under their wings. Though it doesn't justify the fact that they participated in an illegal exchange or are exploiting these children. Remember Loroi culture is different from Terran, so their sense of morality is likely not on par with humans.

Since Greywind is aware of the human trafficking thanks to LIvewire's report, she and the council have likely sent a command throughout the Union to Mizol offices to look out for signs of illegal human presence as well as bureaucratic reforms to save these captives. The problem is that the gangers owning human children rotate their captives to different locations.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Snoofman wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 4:35 am
gigachad wrote:
For some Loroi, at least in this fanfic, it doesn't even occur to them that they have boys on their hands since Loroi menfolk as I understand it hit puberty as early if not earlier than human children. Some of the xenos may revel only in lust, but some may genuinely care about the children they adopt under their wings. Though it doesn't justify the fact that they participated in an illegal exchange or are exploiting these children. Remember Loroi culture is different from Terran, so their sense of morality is likely not on par with humans.

Since Greywind is aware of the human trafficking thanks to LIvewire's report, she and the council have likely sent a command throughout the Union to Mizol offices to look out for signs of illegal human presence as well as bureaucratic reforms to save these captives. The problem is that the gangers owning human children rotate their captives to different locations.
Problem is, most Loroi as well as other member of the Union perceive humans as savages at best, or talking animals at worst.

Not unlike how white colonialists used to acts toward natives of less developed countries/tribes, to be honest.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

I think that's cope on their part because they can't sanzai humans, coupled with the fear that humans might be their template species. It makes them nervous so they try and overcompensate by claiming they're less "evolved" (which, oops, kind of admits they do think humans are the template species).
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

gigachad

Post by gigachad »

It is ironic that, according to the lore of an outsider, the Loroi are extremely destructive and could not get out of barbarism much more than humanity, and they came out thanks to the technologies of the forerunners, all their technologies are only reverse engineering and often not conscious, the economic and industrial machine and even the field of development mainly lies on the shoulders of the aliens, which makes them extremely vulnerable, while humanity is back created by itself and, according to the answers of Arioch, is the highest race in the potential for development and progress, so the arrogance of the Loroi will come out sideways to them.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

To develop and maintain something as complex as a jump drive, even if you get straight-up blue prints for it you still need to understand how it works, so I wouldn't discount them too much.
#1 Tempo simp

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Deliverance VI

- I -

It all seemed so surreal.

Barely a few weeks ago, Yura was playing ball with his friends in Dozhd Sector. Then, on his way home, in a blur of motion too quick for a ten year old to react, some people had snatched him. Stuffed in a container full of dozens of other screaming children, shipped off world, and arriving on an alien world full of oceans like Aldea. It all felt unreal.

It had all been so terrifying initially, being abducted by the human pirates. He and his friends gossiped about what evil people did to abducted children, both in real life and in horror films. But his mind was put at ease. when it became clear that these pirates had no intention of harming them. Upon arriving on Taben, the pirates even let Yura and the other captive children to play with their own kids.

The strangest thing of all was the Loroi. Yura and his friends back on Aldea had heard the stories about the blue space elves fighting against giant bug monsters during the Great War some years ago. Never in his wildest dreams did he think he would ever get to see a real one in person. Now he was surrounded by them.

During his imprisonment with the pirates and Loroi gangers, he frequently asked who the pirates were. Learned that this particular band of Loroi were called ‘gangers,’ criminals who survived in the shadows. It all felt so exciting. Still frightening, but Yura couldn’t help but be intrigued. Yura also asked when he would go home. Or what they wanted with him. Every time they would simply tell him to stop pursuing the matter and be told in due time. Then came the day they left the gangers’ hideout in the big caves. Yura and four other boys of similar age were stuffed into a hover truck, sitting in darkness as they were driven to who knows where. After what felt like hours of driving, they came to a wooded area surrounded by miles of forested hills. The children were herded by their masters into a new camp of tents, shielded by the canopy of giant evergreens. Yura felt like he was among the nomadic tribes of Siberia, whom his parents claimed they were partially descended from. Save for the presence of modern utilities like electric lights, mobile generators and machines that Yura could not even guess. The inhabitants of this camp rushed out to meet the newcomers, staring particularly at Yura and the other four boys. A few spectators even dared to touch the boys before another Loroi, most likely a boss, smacked them across the head, admonishing them. It still struck Yura how weirdly silent the Loroi were. Then again he knew, even before his abduction, that they were telepaths. The two Loroi that stuck out the most amongst this new mob were identical twins that approached the boys. Unlike the rest of the blue-skinned aliens, these twins had an unusual violet hue and golden eyes. With a translator at their disposal, they introduced themselves as the Salt Twins; Halite and Crystal. And they told the newcomers that this mob was their home now. Their instructions: “Do as you are told and you will be treated well. Disobey and you die.”

Yura and the other four newcomers were taken to a large tent where, to their surprise, they met seventeen more boys, all ranging from ages ten to fourteen. All these boys were watched over by several Loroi caretakers. The caretakers cleaned the boys thoroughly. Yura was very awkward when forced to strip down and bathe together with the other kids. They were groomed and fitted with new exotic clothing. Yura himself was fitted with loose-fitting pants that sat snugly on his hips along with an embroidered tunic.

A feast was laid out before them, every boy digging in with hungry enthusiasm. Every now and then one of the boys would taunt one of the others or someone would throw a crumb. The caretakers would remind the boys to behave with a stern smack on the head. These Loroi were not subtle in their disciplinary methods.

A dark-skinned boy sitting beside Yura tapped his shoulder. “What’s up, man?” the little one said, sticking out his hand. “I’m Kofi.”

“Coffee?” Yura asked. "Like the drink?"

“No, no, Kofi,” the boy laughed. “Old African name. But many people on Esperanza made that same mistake.”

“Esperanza? Is that where you’re from?”

Kofi nodded.

He seemed nice enough to Yura. The little boys shook hands.

“I’m Yura. How old are you, Kofi?”

“I’m twelve. And you?”

“Ten years.”

“Where you come from?”

“Aldea.”

“Aldea? My Abo always say is bad weather there.”

“You talk kind of funny.”

Kofi just laughed. “So the pirates get you too, eh?”

“Yup. How long have you been here?”

Kofi shrugged. “Don’t know. Maybe few months. Maybe a year. I was on a ship with Abo. But the pirates came, take me and some other children and took us away.”

“That’s awful,” said Yura. “They kidnapped me on the streets of Dozhd. On Aldea. It was scary.”

“I was scared too in the beginning. But as long as you do as they say, Loroi don’t hurt nothing. They only scary if you make 'em mad.”

“But why are we here?” Yura asked. “What do the Loroi want?”

“Tonight Loroi celebrate special holiday called Truce. Just do what 'dey say and make Loroi happy.”

“Make the Loroi happy how?”

“You’ll see.” Kofi took another bite of his food.

Upon finishing their meal, the caretakers cleared the scraps away. Trays of drinks were laid out before the boys.

“Oh, goodie,” Kofi squeeled with a smile. “Dessert.” He took a cup to his lips.

“Dessert?” Yura took a cup for himself. The fluid looked creamy but dark. Black even. Perhaps some kind of soda? Seeing how much the other boys liked it, Yura gave it a swig, expecting to taste coke. Instead he his tongue was graced by an indescribable tingle. “Wow, that’s good. What is it?”

“Loroi call it sabat,” said Kofi, finishing his drink. “Means ‘spark’. Candy they melt and mix with few other things. Is supposed to make you feel good.”

“I… feel good too,” Yura said, a grin stretching on his face. Despite his terrible circumstances, he was feeling good. He took several more enthusiastic sips, the sabat doing its magic. His whole body tingled with pleasant sensations, his mood lightened.

A caretaker shouted an order.

“Oh, stand up,” Kofi told Yura. “We are being called.”

Yura stood. “You can understand them?” Yura got a nod as answer. “Called for what?”

“Loroi usually drive us to new places to meet new Loroi. But tonight we staying here to do it with the gangers.”

“Do what?”

A thirteen year old overhearing their discussion said, “Dude, are you really that clueless?”

A fourteen year old said, “Don’t bother. Let him figure it out.”

“Figure what out?” Yura was so confused.

Boys just rolled their eyes at Yura’s naivety. The boys were led out of their tent by their caretakers. On another end of the camp, the boys were separated, usually in groups of one or two. Each led into a new tent.

“Why are we going into the tents?” Yura asked. “To sleep?”

“Just do what 'dey tell you and everything will be okay,” Kofi said as a comfort before he was ushered into another tent.

Yura was so confused as he was pulled along by a caretaker to another tent. Peeling back the tent’s door, Yura was introduced to a party of ten Loroi, all feasting, drinking and laughing. Their colorful eyes all fell on Yura as he was pushed into the tent. The door sealed behind him. Yura just stood there nervously as the Loroi eyed him.

“Um,” he held his hands timidly. “Hi?”

The Loroi snickered, likely sharing a silent joke amongst themselves. A blue-haired one with her sides trimmed came up to him. Saying something he didn’t understand, she took him by the hand. With a gentle tug, Yura was ushered to sit with the party. He sat on his legs in the middle of their circle. Every one of the Loroi around him possessed a unique appearance. Their hair was a rainbow of different colors. Yura spotted different hues of red, green, blue, and many others. Not to mention the color of their alien eyes. Some looked strikingly young with pretty round faces. Others much older with chiseled features and long pointed ears. One of the Loroi caressed his hair, cooing something in her alien language. One by one the Loroi took their turns as they got a touch, some caressing Yura’s hair, others stroking his cheeks or feeling his hands. He shivered at their cold touch. They weren’t hurting him, but it felt awkward.

“Mmm,” was the sound made by a crimson haired Loroi when she swiftly cupped his face in her hands and firmly pressed her lips to his own.

Yura froze under contact, cheeks blushing deep red. She broke contact, her green eyes gazing into his own. Yura was too shocked to speak. Another Loroi took him into her arms before he could react, devouring his mouth with her own. Yura moaned, unable to protest as he swore he felt something wiggling into his maw. One by one the Loroi took their turns to sample. Yura moaned with worry as their hands navigated every inch of his body. His anxiety shot through the roof when one kisser firmly dug her blue digits somewhere where they really ought not to be.

Yura’s body was overwhelmed with tingling sensations escalating by the second, his mind worried and stressed by the wonderful yet frightening feelings clouding his senses as the Loroi continued to feel up his anatomy. A warmth manifested in his groin, earning for liberation. His fear escalated as one of the Loroi began lifting off his tunic.

“Hey!” Yura cried outrage, resisting her advances. Taking a bath with others was one thing. But getting stripped by strangers was another. They tried again to remove his clothing, but he refused. He was caught off guard as cold hands pinned him by his arms on the tent’s cot. Another hand muzzled his mouth to stop him from calling out. Before he could cry for help, a hunter’s knife was brought just inches to his face. Yura stared in pure terror at a green-haired Loroi looming over him with her blade. She grinned something wicked, giggling as she twirled her knife playfully. Yura was very afraid that she would torture him. She hitched the hook end of her blade on Yura’s collar. Yura shivered as he heard tearing, certain that the blade was cutting into his skin. But he felt no such incision. The Loroi sliced his tunic down the middle. Discarding the blade, blue hands ripped open the shirt to explore human terrain.

The ten-year old was powerless as the Loroi stripped him clean. Lustful wonder clashed with unbridled terror as the Loroi relieved themselves of their attire and subjugated Yura to their exploits.

- I -

The Salt Twins, Halite and Crystal, were off-worlders born on the frontier colony world Neizan, on the fringes of the Dinnan Sector. The Loroi dwelling on Neizan had developed a more purple hue, earning them the ethnic title of ‘violets’. The twins were identical in nearly every way. They shared the same face, wore similar attire and even spoke in identical manner. The only thing that distinguished them was their hairstyle. Halite preferred having her long hair arranged into overlapping loops. Crystal shaved her head's sides, her frontals crowned with two white wings with a short mohawk combed back behind it.

The Salt Twins, having been born and raised within the criminal underworld, understood how to survive on the fringes of society. They had established secretive arcades on Beleri for well over five decades. Long before travel restrictions were tightened.

Upon Eternal Endurance’s arrival, the twins made well on their promise of hospitality and welcomed Endurance’s clan with food, drink, music and narcotics. It would still take several days for the rest of the gangers and raiders to rendezvous, but that wouldn’t stop the guests of the Salt Twins’ camp from enjoying the festivities. The main attraction, however, were the human boys. Including Endurance’s gift of five new specimens to add to the Salt Twins’ stock. Endurance’s gangers were allowed to retire to tents where the boys were sent to amuse the Loroi. Those not enthralled by the idea of coupling with a human contented themselves to other forms of recreation. Though were annoyingly disturbed by the salacious grunts and moans coming from the more earthy end of the camp. The Loroi engaging with their pleasurable human company urged each other on. Every now and then chanting:

>Plunge!<

>Sheathe it!<

>Hammer down!<

>Milk him!<

Endurance herself was more interested in enjoying some leisure with her hosts and Luckstar. Superhot had been excused to sample some of the specimens. Endurance inhaled through a long pipe. She held in the aromatic narcotic for a few solons before expelling out steam through her nostrils. She sighed in pure bliss.

>There is nothing like spice pipes,< Endurance moaned delightfully. The spice warmed her lungs before entering her blood stream, tingling her senses.

>Spice is exquisite,< Halite agreed, taking in a puff.

>Not as good as human,< Crystal countered. She coated her index finger in a pot of dark brown, melted fluid. She brought it to the lips of one of Endurance’s newly delivered specimens, a pale-skinned youth with brown hair. The little human timidly accepted the treat, getting some brown smudges around his mouth as he licked the blue digit. Crystal was happy to clean him with a few laps of her tongue. The little one just sat in silence, awkwardly sandwiched between the twins.

>This dark substance you brought us is hideously bitter,< sent Crystal, stroking the boy’s head. >But the humans seem to crave it. What do humans call it again?<

>Chocolate,< sent Endurance. >My suppliers say that it is coincidently thought to be an aphrodisiac.<

>Received with gratitude,< sent Crystal.

>Though it cannot compare with sabat,< Halite pointed out.

>I thought humans hated Loroi food,< Luckstar commented. Though offered drink and spice, Luckstar declined. Even for a warrior dropout, the giant hadn’t lost her discipline.

>Most Loroi food. But a few of our consumables are agreeable. We learnt by accident that sabat boosts human performance.< Halite complimented the message with some erotic imagery.

>Speaking of which,< sent Endurance, >how fares your arcades?<

>Better than ever,< sent Halite, >thanks to these gorgeous specimens you provided. Our profits have doubled.<

Endurance asked with intrigue, >How did you accomplish that, may I ask?<

The Salt Twins boasted their exploits: arcades were essentially gaming stations where gangers temporarily set up shop. Its primary method of drawing income: gambling. And the Salt Twins were one of the most dominant clans in Beleri. Unlike other sapient species who placed bets on the random outcome of gambling devices or card games, Loroi liked betting on the outcome of competitions or computer games. Most popular were fast-paced war simulators featuring fleets or primitive armies pitted against one another. Sometimes gangers would organize matches between violent animals or even between Loroi to place bets on. A great many Loroi, high and low, wagered heftily on these games. Few winners walked away with their gains when the gangers’ more charming spirits approached them with the offer an encounter with a male. Hence why the boys were frequently transported to these arcades.

>Ingenious,< Endurance offered her compliments. >Good way to get back your losses.<

>Isn’t it?< sent Halite. >Loroi are happy to throw away their wins just to satisfy their appetites.<

>I might too,< Crystal admitted. >If we didn’t have our own litter right here.<

>How are the females you purchased faring?< Endurance asked.

>They seem well,< Halite answered. >Many of them are still too young. Since Loroi are not interested in human females, the girls are kept elsewhere. We hire personal caregivers to care for the human females in secret until they come of age.<

>By then we hope to breed a new litter of humans here on Taben. We are saddened, though, that you are lessening the supply, Endurance.<

>A necessity,< Endurance assured them. >To focus my efforts elsewhere.<

>So you are really going to do it then?< Crystal stated more than asked.

Endurance confirmed, >Yes. So will you accept my offer?<

The twins gazed at one another, sending nothing, before turning their focus back to their guests.

>Your promise of expansion is tempting, we admit,< Halite sent. >But risky. Remember the Shadow Lords kicked you off Deinar.<

>I have not forgotten,< Endurance acknowledged.

>Even if we can lure some of the Shadow Lords of Deinar to our side,< sent Crystal, >the rest of the Mestas will never accept your return. It would be mean war in the dark. The shadows protect us so long as we don’t make too much noise. Street wars at the Imperial Seat is liable to cause a racket. The warriors would descend upon us.<

>Not unless we turn the warriors' attention to the civilians.<

>How?<

Endurance took another puff of spice. >The civilians are growing restless. Hungry and angered by an empire that cares nothing for them. Civilians slave away while the warriors play war. And the only solace the warriors have to offer: “you weaklings deserve this.” Who in their right mind should serve such egoists? The civilians need a champion. An icon to inspire them, urge them to revolt.<

>And you intend to be that champion?< sent Halite.

Endurance exhaled another puff of spice like a dragon. >I do. While the warriors struggle to suppress the civilians, we mobilize in the shadows.<

The Salt Twins once again gazed silently at one another.

Halite was the first to answer, >Before we consent, we must know what it is that you want?<

>The Emperor’s demise,< Endurance sent. >Has it not been obvious?<

>But why?< Crystal needed an answer. >What is it about Greywind that you hate?<

>Greywind destroyed all that was dear to me,< Endurance snarled, her fingers gripping her spice pipe tightly. She took a few huffs to calm herself. >I can sense your reservation. Your skepticism. Tell me, my friends, why are you called the Salt Twins?<

The twins looked to each other before Crystal answered, >There are huge seas of salt deposits on Neizan, our birth world. The local culture of Neizan associate salt with desire. We can survive without salt. We don’t need it for sustenance. But we want it. More than food itself. We earn for its taste. Maia is the empire’s breadbasket, feeding hundreds of colonies. Yet the smaller seas of salt on Neizan are worth far more than all the grain fields of Maia. Desire is stronger than need.<

Halite added, >That is our specialty. The essence of our identity. We sell the objects of desire. But tell us, Endurance, what has our answer to do with your hatred for Greywind?<

Endurance placed her spice pipe down. She was silent a few moments, deep in contemplation. >Desire and need,< she scoffed out a laugh. >Hard to distinct the two more often than not. Cut a plant at the stem and it simply grows a new stalk. To kill it, you must strike the roots. Greywind is the root of my pain. I could simply recede into the shadows, enjoy the fruits of my labors and witness the marvels of the coming centuries. But I cannot. No matter the cost, I must have vengeance. The pain Greywind has inflicted upon me will not go away unless I have it. <

Luckstar regarded her boss with a mix of intrigue and trepidation.

>You are not the first to seek vengeance, Endurance,< Halite warned. >The price may be higher than you are willing to pay. Wrath is a useful fuel, but let it burn too brightly and it will destroy you.<

>And pay it I shall. Call it desire. Call it need. It makes no difference. But I must have vengeance. I must.<

The twins looked at each other. In unison the twins asked, >What do you need?<

>I need you to reach out to the Tabenids on my behalf,< sent Endurance. >You needn’t risk exposing yourselves. Simply let them know that Eternal Endurance fights for them. Through them do we spread dissent against the Imperials.<

>That seems doable,< sent Halite.

>I will also need recruits. My clan has the resources but not the numbers. Your subordinates have a way of charming your arcades’ patrons. See if your charmers can lure them to our side. In fact, spare me a few of your charming spirits. So that I may put them to some good use.<

>And what shall you do in the meantime?< Halite asked.

>I will go to as many worlds as I can. Stoke the flames of rebellion. Dinnan Sector seems the ideal region to reach out to the civilians. Afterward I will return to Deinar to face the Shadow Lords.<

The twins looked back to each other as they grasped hands. They shared an exclusive dialogue, considering the profits and risks of such an endeavor. Releasing hands, they turned their attention back to Endurance.

>We understand,< sent Halite.

>And we accept,< sent Crystal.

Endurance smiled triumphantly. >I am pleased.< She turned to Luckstar. >Now if you will excuse us, I think we will retire. I hope you both shall enjoy your new little mate tonight.< Luckstar followed after her seinen as they left for their tent.

Crystal gazed down at their latest gift from Endurance, stroking his cheeks. >So soft. So warm,< Crystal shared with her twin.

Halite joined her sister, caressing the little one. Her index buzzed with sensation, tracing along his lips. >Shall we sample his salt, sister?<

>I would be delighted, my other half.< Pulling the boy to his feet, the twins took him to bed.

- I -

Yura woke up, his small frame sandwiched between two larger bodies. A Loroi to his right lay her head on his shoulder, her right arm resting across his chest. To his left lay another, her left hand resting on his stomach. All around the tent was chaos. Clothing, food scraps, empty bottles and unnameable substances lay scattered in a bloody mess. The tent stank of something like smokey vanilla and tangy onions. Loroi lay haphazardly within the confines, snoring and wheezing in their sleep.

The ten year old boy had no idea how long he had been sleeping among the snoring masses. But he certainly remembered the details of the night. How the blue women straddled him one after the other. Sometimes they forced him to lay on top as they held him in their arms. Sometimes he was forced to embrace the Loroi from behind. The tent's atmosphere seemed to feel hotter. Initially the Loroi seemed gentle. Amidst their activities, Yura noticed the Loroi intermittently rushing to drink from more bottles or inhale more of the unnameable substances that reeked something terrible before rushing back to caress him. He also could not help but notice the more reeking substances the Loroi inhaled, the more reckless they behaved. With every bottle they drank, the formerly tender loroi seemed to grow more aggressive, infected by some invisible rabid madness. Soon all tenderness left their eyes, replaced by carnal brutality. Again and again the Loroi indulged themselves. They dug their nails into his flesh. They pinned him by his wrists, squeezing so hard Yura was scared the Loroi were crushing his bones. One of the Loroi went so far as to hold Yura down by his throat, locking his neck in a vice grip as she gyrated. The tent had become a den of lust-filled violence dominated by beastly howls. Unaware or uncaring of the pain they inflicted on the young human, the vicious Loroi kept going and going. Time lost meaning for Yura as he fell prey to the Loroi's oscillations, sucking his mind into a vortex of inebriation. Cerulean fingers turned into freezing claws, stinging his flesh. Amatory snarls seethed past teeth morphing into gnashing fangs. Blue worms invaded his maw, robbing him of air until his world went dark.

Trauma left its mark on Yura in the form of scratches on his chest, stomach and ribs. His pelvis ached. Looking down at his hurting wrists where the Loroi restrained him, Yura saw purple spots forming. He swore he could still feel the icy sting on his neck where cold fingers held him at their mercy.

Yura suddenly remembered the talk his father had with him a few months ago. A talk about some changes every boy goes through on their way to manhood. But no talk, no education could have prepared him for this. What was done to him that evening by the Loroi excited him at first. Yet lying there, in the aftermath of it all, he was filled suddenly with shock. Confusion. Fear. Anxiety. At the start of the Loroi’s undulations, a part of him enjoyed it. Now he felt violated after being subjected to such ferocity. Ill. His muscles tensed. His head became dizzy. Taben’s air suddenly seemed less agreeable to his lungs as he found it harder to breathe. The cerulean arms and legs overlapping him suddenly felt like icy barbed wire. The smokey vanilla tang in his mouth now tasted like ash.

Yura wondered: Is this what the human boys do here? Is this what Kofi was talking about? Is this going to be the rest of my life? Am I trapped here?

The realization was too much for him to bear.

“D-d-dad,” Yura mumbled, tears beginning to fall. “Mom.” To leave the rainy, dreary world of Aldea had been a long dream of his. To go on an adventure. But now, more than ever, Yura wanted to go home.

- I -

The sound of Beleri’s local aviaries woke Eternal Endurance from within her tent. The morning chill made her shiver, compelling her to seek warmth from the giant whom she lay with. The giant stirred beneath the covers, greeted by a single silver eye amidst a mop of bronze hair.

>It is cold,< Luckstar groaned.

>What did you expect? We’re deep in the Belerid mountains.< Endurance laughed, laying her nude form over Luckstar’s, their bond intensifying. >Here. Let me warm you.<

>I should get up,< sent Luckstar. >Got work to do.<

>Let the others handle it.<

>There are preparations to be made. The rest of our clan and the humans are bound to arrive any-<

>Let the others handle it,< Endurance sent again, nuzzling her face into Luckstar's bust. >You are where I need you to be right now. Under me.<

Luckstar stroked her Seinen’s back, fingers tracing over the joints of her spine. >I miss Deinar’s warmth.<

>We’ll be back on Deinar soon enough,< Endurance consoled her. >At the very least, you and a handful of my subordinates will be.<

>You are not coming with us?< Luckstar asked.

>Remember our conversation from last night, Luckstar. I must spread the word to the other colonies. In the meantime, I will entrust you to secure a mobile base of operations on Deinar. But do not make any other move until my arrival. Remember, the shadows protect us as long as we move silently. And be sure to secure a rendezvous point with the Terran Raiders.<

>Are you sure we can trust those humans?< Luckstar sent. >They’re animals.<

>Those animals are my only link to a valuable resource. We need more human children.<

>Boss, surely you’re aware that there are easier ways to make money.<

>It’s not about money, Luckstar,< Endurance chastised. >It’s about securing alliances. The Tabenids paid handsomely for the specimens we brought. As did the magnates of Maia and Donei. Think of what the wealthy families of Deinar will pay once we bring the specimens there. I intend to wipe out our opponents on Deinar unless they agree to support our cause. Look how easily I secured an alliance with the Salt Twins with the gift of more human specimens. Once the Shadow Lords get a taste of human, and know that I control the supply, do you really think they’ll still want to hold old grudges?<

>Boss, it will take more than the promise of hot blade to seduce the Mestas.<

>Leave that to me, Luckstar. You concentrate on your task.<

>You trust me that much? Perhaps it would be best to leave that to one of your enforcers. Or maybe Superhot.<

>I need Superhot with me. My enforcers don’t have the same skill as you, Luckstar. A Loroi of your discipline and knowledge understands how the militants operate. Your ability to organize and command with authority makes you very useful.<

Luckstar sat up, looking her Seinen straight in the eye. >Is that all you value of me? My usefulness?<

Endurance smirked. >Well… I value your muscular form.< Her fingers traced along the giant’s sculpted abdomen. >Your beautiful eyes. Silver like mine. Your strong yet delicate touch.< She traced a finger across Luckstar’s lips before wandering down to her left hand. >I particularly love your fists.< She planted gentle kisses along Luckstar’s knuckles. >It seems fists are good for more than just breaking bones,< she sent suggestively, her message intertwined with memories of last night.

Luckstar blushed.

Endurance stroked her cheek. >There are those under my employ that still do not trust you because of your former affiliation with the military, Luckstar. But I know what you have endured. How the empire exploited you. Betrayed you.<

>Betrayed,< Luckstar mulled the word around bitterly. Her thoughts wandered to her past. To people whom she trusted. People who were meant to stand up for her as she stood up for them. People like her sister.

>You are thinking of her,< Endurance observed.

Luckstar sent nothing back, not bothering to deny it.

>She left you,< Endurance cooed. >Left when you needed her the most. Do not waste your thoughts on her.<

>I shouldn’t waste my thoughts on her,< Luckstar thought bitterly. >And yet… I cannot help but wonder… if she even thinks of me.<

>Let her go,< Endurance commanded. >Focus instead on your job. Just get our base established.<

Luckstar obeyed. >I won’t fail you, my Chief.<

Endurance closed her lips around Luckstar’s. >So strong. So loyal.< The pair could not help but overhear the amorous moans of their fellow gangers broadcasting their blue tales.

Luckstar groaned, agitated. >If only those seedheads would keep it down.<

Endurance shrugged. >I admit it turns me on. If you want, I could arrange for one of the boys to join us.<

Luckstar broke the kiss. >A human?! Shred that! I don’t care who or what the others mount, but I don’t lie with aliens.<
Last edited by Snoofman on Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:40 pm, edited 19 times in total.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

If Luckstar is back, I hope we get to meet Twoface again.
#1 Tempo simp

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

wolf329 wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:11 pm
If Luckstar is back, I hope we get to meet Twoface again.
Not in this fanfic. But we will soon enough.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Author's note: the final chapter for this installment has come. I am surprised how fast I cranked out this one right after chapter 6. Thanks once again to everyone who has taken the time to read my stories. An even bigger thanks to those who left comments and constructive criticism. Your praises keep me motivated. Your criticism gives me opportunity to improve. I hope you enjoy.

-

Deliverance VII

-

The weather on Aldea was unusually calm. Lagertha sat in the back of a cab, watching the people and buildings of Kuanz Sector pass her by. The cab stopped at a pedestrian street where thousands of people walked to and fro. Paying the driver, Lagertha exited the cab and made her way through Kunaz Sector’s entertainment district. After living on an ore colony and part-time on a spaceship for years, it felt odd to be surrounded by so many humans. Men, women and children.

After spending so much time amongst aliens and becoming ever more involved in her iniquitous trade, Lagertha couldn’t help but wonder: am I still human?

She passed a rally of people. The banners they waved suggested they were promoting a political group.

“Excuse me, miss.”

Lagertha tensed as a stranger from the rally approached her.

“Please accept this brochure,” he handed the paper to her, “and take the time to read more about the Terran Confederate Party. We are a political group dedicated to defending Terran space against all alien threats and upholding international security for every-”

Don’t engage, thought Lagertha, giving him the cold shoulder and just kept walking.

After walking for several minutes, she finally came to the Kun-Peng’s Den; a popular fine dining restaurant that catered particularly to Aldea’s higher-ups and Terran officials. Lagertha checked herself to be sure she looked presentable. It took well over half an hour to undo the braids in her hair so that she looked more professional. She had ditched her usual attire for a woman’s business suit and dark pants. The retailer from the clothing store insisted that Lagertha would look better in a business skirt, but Lagertha outright refused. Even before leaving Sweden, Lagertha hated skirts. Hated dresses even more.

The Den’s hostess asked if Lagertha had a reservation.

“I’m here to see Mister Esteban,” Lagertha said simply.

The hostess seemed to recognize that name. A sign that he was a frequent guest. She looked at her podium’s monitor. “I’m sorry, Miss?”

“Lagertha.”

“Lagertha… who?”

“Just Lagertha.”

The hostess frowned. “I’m sorry, Miss Lagertha, but I don’t see any mention of you in Mister Esteban’s booking.”

“That’s alright,” Lagertha assured her. “Mister Esteban wasn’t expecting me. But I need to speak with him. You can just tell him that I’ve come with something he wants.”

“I’m sorry, Miss Lagertha, but we have a strict policy-”

“Look!” Lagertha stomped impatiently toward the hostess. “I have been on a very, very, very, long trip. I am not to about to be brushed off. Just let him know I am here.”

The hostess frowned.

Lagertha inhaled to calm herself as she said passively, “Please.”

The hostess tapped an earpiece and began sharing an exchange with one of her coworkers. Within a few minutes, a waiter approached them. “Hello, Miss Lagertha. Mister Esteban would be delighted to see you. If you’d just follow me to the VIP floor.”

Lagertha was led through the glamorous dining hall. All around she saw men and women in business suits, military uniforms and political attire. There were even a few celebrities sporting the latest trends in fashion. She even spotted a table where a few Loroi speaking with a few Terran officials. Even without their dark armor, Lagertha could have guessed they were Mizols by their graceful movements and passive demeanors.

An elevator brought them up eight levels to the VIP floor. After being granted clearance by a security guard, the waiter led Lagertha to a table with a panoramic view of Kuanz Sector. There sat Director Esteban, enjoying a steak.

“Ah, Miss Lagertha,” Esteban said, wiping his lips with a napkin. “What a surprise. Please have a seat.”

The waiter pulled a chair for Lagertha. “I’ll be right back with a menu-”

“That won’t be necessary,” Lagertha told the waiter, taking her seat. “I’m not staying long.”

The waiter simply left it at that as he left the two.

“Nice place,” Lagertha offered a simple compliment.

“Hm,” Esteban acknowledged. “The name Kun-Peng is actually an ancient Chinese mythological creature. A hybrid of a bird and a fish.”

“How fitting,” Lagertha muttered. “Though I don’t think it very smart to allow sea nymphs to dine with the TCA’s higher-ups. Especially if they’re blue.”

“Even as political contenders, we must seem hospitable,” Esteban pointed out, taking a sip of red wine. “Besides, those nymphs downstairs are diplomats.”

Lagertha scoffed. “Oh I’m sure they’ve been very civilized. Even more certain they like to get chummy with the men downstairs. Tell me, how do you think the diplomats,” she emphasized that last word, “get their prey to spill their secrets? Lip service or handcuffs?”

“Hence why men like me dine in the VIP section,” Esteban said. “While the men below are showing off the stars on their shoulders or shaving strokes off their game to impress their spectators, men like me are running around like maniacs cleaning up their messes and protecting humanity and humanity’s secrets. Now, Miss Lagertha, have you come with some good news? My dinner is getting cold.”

Lagertha whipped out a tablet, handing it to Esteban. She stood to leave.

“Where are you going?”

“Nature calls,” Lagertha said swiftly as she excused herself. “Have a look at that tablet. It will show you exactly what you want.”

Esteban powered up the tablet. He found an icon with the words ‘wave loom’ on the screen. He felt a slight thrill as he tapped the icon, expecting to find blueprints of the weapon he wanted. Instead he was met with confusion as a video featuring Lagertha came up.

“Don’t stop watching,” said recorded Lagertha. “You will want to see this. You know, working with powerful men has taught me one thing, Director Esteban; they are eager to break their promises if it profits them. I am here to let you know that I cannot get the wave loom device. But I do have something that you want as you will observe.”

The scene on the tablet switched to that of a little girl, her cheeks stained with tears.

Someone off screen asked her, “Tell us your name.”

“Rose,” she cried.

“And where are you right now?”

She choked out, “In space.”

Esteban’s face went pale.

The tablet switched back to recorded Lagertha. “Rose Esteban. Age eight. Was transferred from Alpha Centauri to Tau Ceti system after the death of both her parents. Very touching that you should take in your granddaughter, Director. You were smart to ensure she had a security escort and a GPS tracker. Your mistake was that she didn’t have enough guards and you forgot to call her to confirm that she was in fact at home, where my people have left her tracer. You are free to search for her, but I promise you will never find her anywhere on Aldea. As of this moment, she is on her way out of system, to Union space. And you should know, there are quite a few rich Loroi willing to pay a pretty penny to possess a human specimen.

“So then, here is the new bargain. You will give me and my crew a clean slate along with all the travel permits we need so that we may continue our business in secret. In exchange, Rose will be safe and protected as she resides with our associates in the Loroi Union. You will receive regular updates on your granddaughter’s well-being. And, if circumstances permit it, I will continue to provide you with information concerning the Loroi Union that is within my power to give. But if you ever threaten me or my own, if anything happens to me or my crew, I promise you will never see Rose again. I will be waiting for you at our usual location in three standard days, where I expect to see proof of a full pardon and assurances that we may continue to travel unrestricted and untraced.”

Esteban dropped the pad, taking rushed steps to the lavatory, ignoring the women protesting his intrusion as he searched frantically for Lagertha. It took him nearly two minutes to find out that she had departed. Whipping out his Robin phone, Esteban checked his granddaughter’s GPS trace was indeed at their house. But he became sick with worry when she failed to answer his calls.

- I -

Before Lagertha’s departure from Taben, Eternal Endurance had come to her with a supply of more gold, new weapons, ammunition as well as two new freighters. But there was one thing missing.

“I cannot supply you with schematics of the wave loom device,” Endurance told her. “Just trying to get it is too risky. You must exploit what you have at your disposal, Lagertha.” Before Lagertha departed with her crew, Endurance had parted with some advise, “We Loroi have a reputation of being ruthless. We seem that way because we have the courage to do what others dare not. And so I send you off with this word of wisdom: be ruthless by necessity. Continue to supply what I need, and I will flood your pockets with wealth.”

On their journey back to Aldea, Lagertha had plenty of time to stress, fret, come to terms with her predicament and put her ruthless imagination to use. Upon arrival, Lagertha did some research to find anything they could use as leverage against Esteban. After finding out that Esteban had a granddaughter, a small team of raiders were sent down to the surface where, after disposing of her guards, apprehended the eight year old. Thanks to the clearance they still had courtesy of Esteban, they managed to sneak her back to orbit, held securely aboard Deliverance.

Within three days of Rose’s abduction, Esteban met with Lagertha at their usual meeting place. Begrudgingly, he gave in, giving Lagertha further clearances as well as assurances that, if ever they needed to return to Terran space, they would avoid prosecution. Satisfied, Lagertha returned to their ships with their latest cargo of fresh specimens along with some new recruits that wanted in.

Lagertha sat in her private quarters, enjoying a large bowl of soup rich with meaty chunks of fish and shellfish native to Aldea’s oceans. She sighed with satisfaction as the salty, mineral flavor washed over her tongue, complimenting it with a glass of white wine. It had been a long while since she enjoyed some authentic wine imported all the way from Earth. Expensive but worth every debit.

Ding!

Lagertha admitted entry to Bree ringing at her door. “Lagertha,” Bree entered through the bulkhead, doors swishing shut behind her. “It’s Rose. The girl’s completely shut herself in. She won’t eat. She won’t drink. She won’t even take drugs to suppress jump sickness.”

Lagertha groaned out in frustration, the taste of her food suddenly bitter like her mood. “Bring her here.”

Within minutes, Bree was back, her hand held firmly around the eight-year old’s bicep. Lagertha ordered Bree out, locking the door behind her. Lagertha rose from her seat to approach Rose. The little girl shrunk under Lagertha’s intimidating form.

“You’ve been troublesome ever since leaving Aldea,” Lagertha warned. “I’m here to tell you to cut the shit. Do you hear me, kid? Starving yourself is not going to help.”

Rose’s bleary eyes refused to meet Lagertha’s. Her lips quivered. She knew it was pointless to beg these raiders to take her home after days of pleading in her confinement. But she still couldn’t help but cry.

“Stop,” Lagertha groaned, agitated. She reach out, Rose backing away from her. “Stop!” Lagertha barked.

Rose shut her eyes, fearing a strike, fighting to hold back the tears.

Lagertha sighed in annoyance. Rose watched her nervously as Lagertha rummaged around in one of her compartments, certain the raider was going to return with the threat of torture. Instead she surprised Rose as Lagertha laid out a second bowl with cutlery on her little table.

“Come here,” Lagertha said. Rose just stared dumbfounded. “Look, as long as you don’t give me trouble, I’m not going to hurt you. Just come here.”

Rose slowly approached the table and sat down. Lagertha came back with a soda for Rose before taking her seat. filled up her bowl with some crustaceans. “Eat,” Lagertha said, filling up Rose’s bowl with some soup. Rose eyed the chunks of fish and shellfish meat floating in a bath of herbs and oils.

Lagertha regarded her. “You’re not allergic to fish, are you?”

“N-no,” Rose barely mumbled.

“Then eat.”

Taking a spoon in hand, Rose slowly dunk her spoon to scoop up some of the white, red-spotted meat. She slurped up the fluids, chewing the fish as its salty, mineral flavor touched her tongue. She took another delicate bite.

Lagertha sighed in content. “Is it good?”

Rose nodded her head, taking another bite.

“You know, this Aldean fish kind of reminds me of crayfish,” said Lagertha, taking another sip of wine. “You ever try crayfish?”

Rose shook her head.

“I tried it once before leaving Earth when I was a little girl. Very popular in Sweden. Pricy though. You ever heard of Sweden.”

Rose shook her head. “N-no.”

Lagertha scoffed a laugh. “Thought as much. Lots of non-Earthlings don’t know a thing about Earth.”

“I…” Rose struggled to find her voice. “I know a little about it. I… like the Olympics.”

“Yeah,” Lagertha chuckled. “Yeah, good sports.” She took another bite. Their conversation was awkward, but Lagertha kind of liked it. Rose reminded her of her own youth, sitting awkwardly among her father’s friends at dinner parties, trying to strike up intelligent conversation yet being at loss for words.

For a while they just sat in comfortable silence, eating their fish soup. Rose took a swig of soda every now and then to wet her whistle. When they were finished, the still sat in an awkward silence, Lagertha resting her forearms on the table.

Rose broke the silence, “Why are you doing this?”

“Doing what?” Lagertha asked.

“W-why are you being nice to me?”

Lagertha shrugged. “Should I not be?”

“I thought that…” Rose hesitated. “I thought pirates were all mean.”

“Some of them are,” said Lagertha. “Some are worse. Everyone’s different.”

“You don’t seem mean,” Rose said offhandedly.

“I’m not a pirate to be mean.”

Rose got a bit braver. “Why are you kidnapping me then?”

“Because I have to. Because I don’t have a choice.”

“There’s always a choice,” Rose pleaded. “Criminals can be forgiven for their crimes-”

“Shut up,” Lagertha ordered. Rose was silent at once. Lagertha understood that they were unintentionally bonding. They ought not to engage like this. She should just end the conversation and send Rose back to the join the rest of the kids. She owed the girl no explanation. Lagertha sank in her seat with a sigh. “When I was around your age, my father took me away from Earth. I didn’t want to go. He tried pacifying me by saying that it was going to be an adventure in space. To see alien planets just like in the movies. For weeks I was just depressed, being torn away from the only home I’d known as a child. But I adjusted. I know what you must think about us. About me. I know the terrible things the authorities say about Terran Raiders. Most of it is true. But… we’re not going out of our way to be evil. We’re just trying to survive. As long as your grandfather does what we tell him, I promise no one will hurt you.”

Rose silently contemplated Lagertha’s words before asking, “When can I go home?”

Lagertha ended the conversation by calling Bree back. Within moments, Bree came to escort Rose back to rejoin the rest of the captives. The bulkhead door locked behind them. Lagertha didn’t feel hungry anymore. Leaving the fish soup to oxidize, Lagertha picked out her tablet to look at her son.

Irony, thought Lagertha.

She was abducting children, robbing a family of someone they loved and profiting from it just so that she could see her own child again. Because she could not bear the thought of never seeing him again. Turning herself into the Terran authorities had crossed her mind a few times. The rest of her raiders were free to do as they wanted, but Lagertha had considered it for the hope of a less severe sentence and just to keep her son close. But she chose the life of risk for the promise of greater wealth. She had the wealth. But not her son.

Lagertha wondered if Ben was happier wherever the Loroi were keeping him. She could just let him live out his life among the Loroi and Lagertha could take her wealth and buy herself a new life on any world. Maybe even stay hidden on one of the Loroi worlds thanks to the human lotai.

But what if he’s not happy? Lagertha fretted. What if Ben was not happy and yearned to be reunited with his mother? Even if he was, how could she be certain the Loroi were not abusing him for their own purposes? It had been a subject Lagertha discussed with Eternal Endurance upon learning Greywind had taken her son. Like Lagertha, Endurance could only speculate. But the most likely explanation was that Ben was valuable. Powerful Loroi like Greywind never showed interest in an object unless it was either dangerous to them or possessed strategical value. There had been rumors across the Union that there were a few humans whose lotai could be pierced by only a few Loroi. None of these rumors had yet been proven. But it seemed like the only reasonable explanation. If Ben’s lotai could indeed be pierced, what was Greywind willing to do to Ben just to break it?

Lagertha had heard many stories about the fourth emperor of the Union. To some she was a savior. To many others an oppressor. Greywind’s reign brought down the Umiak Hierarchy, ending the Great War. She sued for unity across the Union and peace with the Terrans. Yet was the author of the anti-neutrality policy still in effect to the current day. She was also said to be one of the most powerful Mizols in the history of her caste with a reputation of unorthodox conduct. Acceptable under Union law, but what a Loroi considered acceptable could be monstrous to a human. Her reign had nationalized nearly every industry across the Union, all in an effort to cement Deinar as the central authority of the Union. Hence why many Terrans often referred to her as "Stallin on Steroids". And while many Traditionalists were zealous advocates of central authority, few of them approved of Greywind's background. Mainly because, unlike her predecessors, Greywind was not of Deinar descent. That combined with the fact that the Emperor had telepathic powers of influence (as most Mizols possessed) was enough to make her opponents uneasy. Knowing that, was it really unreasonable to suspect that Greywind might subject Ben to exploitation?

Even if Lagertha ran and hid away with all her accumulated wealth, Ben would still be trapped. Lagertha could live with the guilt of what she had done to their young captives. But not Ben. The thought of abandoning him to an unknown fate ate away at her heart.

Lagertha could not trust the warrior Loroi. They were ruthless expansionists. An empire of warmongers driven by a zealous belief that they were reclaiming a lost legacy. Like zionists clinging to their promised land. Despite the fact that humanity aided their campaign against the Umiak Hierarchy years past, the Union and many of its members considered the humans as animals.

Lagertha could not even be certain how trustworthy Eternal Endurance and her gangers were. The possibility that the gangers could betray Lagertha and her raiders at any moment was not ruled out. Yet so far Endurance had delivered on all her promises. Lagertha and her raiders were given sanctuary. They were richer than they could ever have hoped to be as mere mercenaries.

“I am not trying to harm these children,” Lagertha consoled herself. “I am not trying to hurt them. I am giving them to new custodians. And I will not hurt Rose. I just had to terrify Esteban into cooperation. Rose will be safe as long as he holds his end of the bargain. And I only have to do this until I get Ben back. I will stay the course until I have Ben back.”
Last edited by Snoofman on Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

A fantastic intermediary (if I recall correctly you considered it such) piece. A deeper glimpse into the less savory aspects of the Loroi hinted at for a while now.
SpoilerShow
should "saving strokes off their game" be "shaving strokes off their game"?
#1 Tempo simp

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

Man, you do a good job at writing scenes that can certainly rile a person up at the acts being committed.