[Fan Fiction] Notes and discussion for "A sword that wields itself"

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Bamax

Re: [Fan Fiction] Notes and discussion for "A sword that wields itself"

Post by Bamax »

Glad your back and not dead. Sorry about all that has befell you and I hope you find or have found a job soon.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

I feel you on the job part. Job searching and having to go through hundreds of rejections is a real blow to a man’s sense of worth. But a new job comes to any man who tries! Glad you’re back and hope you’re feeling better.

On the billing frontier, a little piece of advice: avoid more debt! Especially in this uncertain economy.

May you continue to be happy, work smart and be as awesome as physically possible! :mrgreen: lollollollollol

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Bamax wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:33 pm
Glad your back and not dead. Sorry about all that has befell you and I hope you find or have found a job soon.
Snoofman wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:16 am
I feel you on the job part. Job searching and having to go through hundreds of rejections is a real blow to a man’s sense of worth. But a new job comes to any man who tries! Glad you’re back and hope you’re feeling better.

On the billing frontier, a little piece of advice: avoid more debt! Especially in this uncertain economy.

May you continue to be happy, work smart and be as awesome as physically possible! :mrgreen: lollollollollol
Thanks, guys! I posted the full chapter, feel free to criticize it.
SpoilerShow
The job search is certainly not easy right now. The economy in Europe is quickly tumbling downhill, and prices are going through the roof. :shock: Well, at least nobody started WW3. Yet.

Dan Wyatt

Post by Dan Wyatt »

Cthulhu wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:22 am
Bamax wrote:
Snoofman wrote:

SpoilerShow
The job search is certainly not easy right now. The economy in Europe is quickly tumbling downhill, and prices are going through the roof. :shock: Well, at least nobody started WW3. Yet.
Will Russia use Nukes?
Are you inside the fallout zone?

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Dan Wyatt wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 11:38 pm
Cthulhu wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:22 am
Bamax wrote:
Snoofman wrote:

SpoilerShow
Will Russia use Nukes?

Dan.... based on nuclear war simulations I have seen... just about EVERYWHERE would be a fallout zone.

Unless you live in south africa or the north or south pole that is.

The fallout cloud in the simulation I saw engulfed the USA, Europe, much of africa and much of south america as well.

We. Do not. Need that.

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

Bamax wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 2:21 am
We. Do not. Need that.
Don't worry. I hear there's this firm called Vault-Tec that's building huge fallout shelters all over the world. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Don't worry, guys, I'm not dead yet, just too stressed to continue. Thanks for reading the chapter, by the way, I thought that the update went unnoticed.
Dan Wyatt wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 11:38 pm
Will Russia use Nukes?
Since I live on the outskirts of Berlin, I'm outside the blast zone, but well inside the deadly fallout radius. However, the chance of WW3 are still very slim, so I haven't begun to dig a shelter. Yet.
Bamax wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 2:21 am
Dan.... based on nuclear war simulations I have seen... just about EVERYWHERE would be a fallout zone.

Unless you live in south africa or the north or south pole that is.

The fallout cloud in the simulation I saw engulfed the USA, Europe, much of africa and much of south america as well.

We. Do not. Need that.
I'd prefer a nuclear apocalypse to living in Johannesburg's downtown, or the Brazilian favelas. Not that there's much difference. :lol:
G. Janssen wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 1:39 pm
Don't worry. I hear there's this firm called Vault-Tec that's building huge fallout shelters all over the world. I'm sure everything will be fine.
Of course everything is completely fine, we just need to save water in order to protect the environment.
"But there's no more environment to save", you say?
It's the thought that counts. Now, please restrict shower sessions to 30 seconds every other week.

VladimirSlavik

Post by VladimirSlavik »

Cthulhu wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:24 pm
I thought that the update went unnoticed.
Rest assured that I keep returning for this particular fanfic. It's one of the few things here that are still alive, I think. I also think that very few other fanfics reached this level of detail, consistency and survival :-) So thank you!

IIRC the active / inactive audience ratio on web forums can be as high as 1:100, so no replies = it's great. Which is not exactly human, but here we are. Oh look, I was also silent until now...

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

VladimirSlavik wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:58 am
Rest assured that I keep returning for this particular fanfic. It's one of the few things here that are still alive, I think. I also think that very few other fanfics reached this level of detail, consistency and survival :-) So thank you!

IIRC the active / inactive audience ratio on web forums can be as high as 1:100, so no replies = it's great. Which is not exactly human, but here we are. Oh look, I was also silent until now...
Good to know, so I'm back with a new chapter. :D

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Which I enjoyed very much.
Especially the finding of what the human-provided uniform is. :)

(search for " bored reply, I] " in that chapter to find the missing opening bracket)

Regarding the feedback on the InterWebs: they are sparse, yes.
On some websites it is worse than 1:100; here I assume it to be better than that. But without "page view" counters it's difficult to say. (you could hide a 1-pixel analysis image in there somewhere, but European data-protection guidelines/laws would demand you ask permission for that, from website owner, and from the users)
I found this tweet a while ago, which says a lot about Human interaction...
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Krulle wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 7:03 am
That thing was pretty sus from the beginning, but now...
Krulle wrote:
(search for " bored reply, I] " in that chapter to find the missing opening bracket)
Thanks!

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

Cthulhu wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 7:09 am
Krulle wrote:
That thing was pretty sus from the beginning, but now...
Krulle wrote:
Thanks!
Are the sensors looking at what's outside of the suit, or are they looking at what's inside the suit? 8-)
Last edited by G. Janssen on Fri May 13, 2022 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

G. Janssen

Post by G. Janssen »

Cthulhu wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 3:15 pm
VladimirSlavik wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:58 am

Good to know, so I'm back with a new chapter. :D
This is true. I read most stories and this is the first I respond to. Keep the chapters coming please.

One comment: Per Aspera ad Astra contains:
"reminded him Emberwing."
Should this be "Emberwing reminded him."?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Now I'm intrigued. The Historian has entered the scene. But for what purpose and to what end? I've always been suspicious of the Historians since the original Pocket Historian warned Alex in the comic. And now the tables turn as the pocket puppet has warned the loroi of humanity's so-called wicked intentions.

My theory: the Historian of "Sword that Wields itself" has deduced that it the humans of this verse are liable to be a competitor to the Historians themselves due to humanity's fast advancement in technology. Provided that humanity has not devolved into a society of xenophobic schemers.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

G. Janssen wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:56 am
Are the sensors looking at what's outside of the suit, or are they looking at what's inside the suit? 8-)
Inside, most likely. The construct said that they decayed (whatever that meant), but did it tell the truth?
G. Janssen wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:06 am
One comment: Per Aspera ad Astra contains:
"reminded him Emberwing."
Should this be "Emberwing reminded him."?
Yes, that does sound better, I'll correct it.
Snoofman wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:12 pm
Now I'm intrigued. The Historian has entered the scene.
Maybe the construct simply fled to the next best destination? The Human ship had the best chances of escape.
Snoofman wrote:
But for what purpose and to what end? I've always been suspicious of the Historians since the original Pocket Historian warned Alex in the comic. And now the tables turn as the pocket puppet has warned the loroi of humanity's so-called wicked intentions.
In my opinion, it wanted to prevent Alex' from getting too close with the Loroi. But, did it do that for its own benefit? The Human's? Or even the Loroi? :shock:
Snoofman wrote:
My theory: the Historian of "Sword that Wields itself" has deduced that it the humans of this verse are liable to be a competitor to the Historians themselves due to humanity's fast advancement in technology. Provided that humanity has not devolved into a society of xenophobic schemers.
From what we know, it's the Historians that may fit the "xenophobic schemers" template best...

P.S.: You guys were quite productive, maybe I'll free up some time on the weekend to catch up with all the fanfics. :geek:

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Nice new chapter. The Intermission bit revealin one of the loroi’s earliest Emperors was also intriguing. That’s how people usually come to power: a combination of inspiring awe and overwhelming force.

In my unprofessional opinion, I think it unwise for the Mizol to grant the pocket Historian asylum. Unless of course they have some backup plan to contain or hinder the construct if it’s presence proves hazardous for them. I’m torn between rooting for the loroi or the Terrans.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Snoofman wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:35 pm
Nice new chapter. The Intermission bit revealin one of the loroi’s earliest Emperors was also intriguing. That’s how people usually come to power: a combination of inspiring awe and overwhelming force.
And a handy (Soia?) artifact to boost both as well. The only question is, how is that even remotely related to the story? :?
Snoofman wrote:
In my unprofessional opinion, I think it unwise for the Mizol to grant the pocket Historian asylum. Unless of course they have some backup plan to contain or hinder the construct if it’s presence proves hazardous for them.
Actually, they decided to let that thing be (Chapter XXXIII), since it's technically an ambassador from an allied species. The main reason, however, is that they can't reliably purge it, and an attempt to do so may invite some unexpected retaliation. Or cause it to strike a deal with the Humans. The construct is probably in every device by now, so what if it hands over all their data as recompense? :o
Snoofman wrote:
I’m torn between rooting for the loroi or the Terrans.
Who says that either party are the good guys here? :twisted:

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

SpoilerShow
Cthulhu wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:28 pm
Chapter XXXIII: Amplified trouble
[...]
“Then what about me? I had heard it first when that Human tried to connect with me as an almost imperceptible hum.”
reminded them Emberwing, “Right now, I’ve heard it again. Apart from the Bistima, did anyone else register that?”

“I’ve sensed an almost painful surge,” The medic frowned, “Does anyone else need medication for the headache?”

“My head is sturdy enough to shrug it off, but it was impressive enough.”
The Teidar smirked slightly, “Actually, I managed to wreck three amplifiers during training. They didn’t explode as spectacularly, though.”
[..]
You forgot the [ /i] and [ i] tags around "the medic frowned"
Enjoyable again. Still looking forward to where this leads.

Thank you!
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Krulle wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:10 pm
Enjoyable again. Still looking forward to where this leads.

Thank you!
Don't worry, I'll finish this one no matter what. The protagonists were forced to make a slight detour, but they will arrive at their destination, if a bit later.
Krulle wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:10 pm
SpoilerShow
Cthulhu wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:28 pm
snip
You forgot the [ /i] and [ i] tags around "the medic frowned"
I'll correct that, thanks!

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Dragons and Godswar... oh my!

I was also surprised that the amplifiers turned to dust in their recent experiment. If I read it correctly, it sounds like that is not a common occurrence for the loroi. On a separate note, I cannot help but suspect that the Umiak perhaps don't have a lotai as the humans do. But rather have developed something that cause a form of disruption for the Farseeing amplifiers.

Imagine the loroi forced to face their own flaws and the possibility of their ancestors misdeeds. I truly wonder if the loroi, both in this fanfic and in the Outsider comic, can accept shame as a proud warrior culture. I remember a similar reference to 'dragons' in the fanfic, "Beacons". A mere coincidence perhaps?