Wind and Fire

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Snoofman

Re: Wind and Fire

Post by Snoofman »

Wind and Fire - Chapter 27

-

Being a child certainly has its perks. Among them is having one’s needs catered to at the hands of adults. The other is being adored by adults. And occasionally by other children. While Ben enjoyed the pleasant company of the loroi, it could get a bit overwhelming when they lavished him with too much attention. That was abundantly clear to the little boy as Black Mark gave him a tour of the mansion. Black Mark did not understand Enligsh, but was armed with a datapad to assist with translation. The caregiver had taken the day off to show Ben around the creche. And they weren’t alone.

Black Mark’s entire class of twelve loroi children were granted a free day from lectures to accompany them. Every once in a while, one of the girls would push or shove the other to get closer to Ben much to the caregiver’s annoyance. They were dying just to be near him. Occasionally one would explain in stuttering Trade an interesting fact about the mansion to get his attention. Ben understood at best half of what the jittery stutterers were saying since his own Trade needed improvement.

Girls will be girls, thought Black Mark.

To say that Ben was amazed by the mansion was an understatement. The entire grounds looked and felt more like a small village. There was a library, an arcade, the training arena from yesterday, a spa, bathing facilities, even a small harbor with a few boats. And much more. There were underground facilities which the children were not allowed to visit without clearance from the adults. There was even a small farm, but it lay a few kilometers away for the sake of keeping away the stench of beasts.

Now the children and their teacher were within the children’s dorms. The girls were huddled around a toy box showing their toys for Ben.

“This!” Rune said holding up a darkly clad action figure whose most notable features was its ankle-length orange hair and red gem resting on its left shoulder. “This… this Warhammer. She is… she was great… warrior with… from long ago... with powers!”

“You mean like superpowers?” Ben asked.

“Y-yes.” Although Rune was not entirely sure what a superpower was. “Warhammer so strong… she m-m-moved… a m-m-mountain.”

Ben’s dropped. “No way!”

Rune stomped her foot to assert, “Is true!”

“Cool! But she’s not as strong as… Superman!” Ben hoisted his own doll in the air.

“W-who… is… S-Superman?” Softwood asked.

“A superhero from Krypton!” Ben stood proudly waving Superman back and forth, catching the gazes of the loroi girls. “He’s so strong he can move a planet!”

“No!” Rune said incredulously.

“Yes!”

“No!”

“Yes!”

Rune stood and stomped her foot. “No!”

Ben faced her. “Yes! Superman’s the greatest!” Ben held Superman as if brandishing him like a saber.

Rune did likewise as she held Warhammer in standoff. “Warhammer stronger than Superman!”

Ben stomped angrily. “No!”

“Yes! Superman stupid!”

Taking offense, Ben shoved Rune back. “No he’s not!” The now angry girl forgot Ben was a male and pushed back. The mob of girls gasped in shock as the two shoved each other.

“Stop!” Black Mark raised her voice. All eyes fell on her. “Please! There’s no point in fighting over something so trivial.”

Ben tilted his head, not quite understanding all of her Trade. “Huh?”

Black Mark sighed as she constructed a simple translation on her datapad: “Stop fighting. It is silly.”

“Oh.”

“Both you… be friends again.” Black Mark hoped that translation got her point across.

Ben and Rune eyed each other. It did seem wrong to fight over their heroes.

“Sorry, Rune,” said Ben.

“I… sorry… also,” Rune said back. “Superman seems… like good… warrior.”

Ben accepted the compliment. “Warhammer is pretty cool too. But Superman is still better!”

“No he not!”

“Yes he not!”

Catching that grammatical error, the kids just giggled at their own silliness. Black Mark just let them have their fun. Children were a blessing but also a burden to bear. And while she liked this little human, it seemed clear that his presence complicated the creche’s order. Just what was the Emperor planning to do with him?

Beep!

A whistle drew the caregiver’s attention to her wrist-comm. Tapping the device, Black Mark drew up her holographic display to read an incoming message.

“Children,” Black Mark called their attention, shutting down the hologram. “There is a family meeting at the Arena. We must attend. Put your toys away and come!”

Half the children got the message and started packing away their playthings. The rest ignored the command, as was typical of children.

“Children!” Black Mark said more strictly as well as sent. “The Emperor summons us. I will not repeat. Put the toys away! Time to go!”

Now picking up the urgency, the children put their toys away and stood at attention. Including Ben who still clutched his Superman.

“Ben, you must put away your toy.”

“Nuh-uh!” Ben shook his head. “Superman stays with me.”

“Ben, it is a rule,” Black Mark insisted gently. “Put away the toy in the box.”

Ben was terrified of parting form Superman. What if he got lost in the loroi’s toys? “No.”

“Ben, do not argue. You must. Give!” Black Mark held out her hand.

Ben defensively clutched his doll close. “No!”

Black Mark groaned as she took hold of the Superman. Feeling threatened, Ben angrily tore his toy from her grasp.

“Poophead!” Ben cried. He ran for the door out to the corridor.

“Ben! Come back!” Black Mark and the children gave worried chase.

Ben rounded the corner and ran face first into a soft pillar. A pillar that was the Emperor.

Ben’s pursuers stopped dead in their tracks as they came face to face with Greywind accompanied by Cotton.

“Ben?” Greywind had come to the dorms to fetch him. But it seemed he had come to her instead.

Ben jumped back to his feet and clutched Greywind’s side. “She tried to take Superman from me,” he whimpered.

>Your highness, please pardon me and Ben,< Black Mark sent with a huff. >I was only trying to make him understand the rules of leaving toys in the dorms.<

>Say no more,< Greywind sent back. “Ben, put your toy in your room and come back.”

Ben protested, “But I-”

“Now!”

Ben did as he was told and was back in a minute.

“Ben, remember,” said Greywind. “Black Mark is your caregiver and teacher. Like Cotton. So you will listen to her. Respect her.”

“But she was mean! She tried-”

“Ben!” Greywind left no room for argument. “Discipline is not… being ‘mean’ as you say. Black Mark only wants to take care of you. But the adults make the rules. And you will follow them. Now apologize to her.”

Ben’s shoulders slouched as he trodded back to Black Mark. With a slumped head, Ben shamefully said, “Sorry.”

Black Mark sighed and bent forward. “I accept your apology. I am also sorry. I did not mean to steal your toy. But please listen to me next time.”

Girls gasped as Ben pecked Black Mark on the cheek. Black Mark froze shocked at the contact.

>It is a way Ben expresses regret,< Cotton clarified. >And affection.<

>Oh!< Black Mark’s cheeks and ears turned a deep blue as she stood erect.

It seemed the children’s vocals suddenly improved as Quill yelled excitedly, “I want kiss!”

“Give me kiss too,” said another.

The girls surrounded a now nervous Ben as they demanded a peck.

>Silence!< Greywind sent strictly.

The children, hearing the call to order, stopped and faced their elder. They understood whenever Greywind spoke, she laid down the law.

Greywind sent as well as spoke, “There will be no kisses at this time. You children must learn to compose yourselves.”

The children sulked but accepted their elder’s command.

“Now come! We have a family meeting.”

The children cleared the path for their Emperor as she lead the way to the Arena.

Rune walked closely by Ben’s side, holding a determined fist up. >I will get that kiss.<

>Me too!<

>Me first!<

>Children!< Greywind silenced them. Loroi youngsters were joyfully bothersome enough as it were. But adding a human male certainly complicated that equation.

-

The Arena was once again set up for the creche’s inhabitants. Caregivers and children sat on floor cushions in a semi-circle. Even the employed servants attended these meetings. Ben sat with Cotton and his new friends. Swinging his head left and right, he couldn’t help but notice the other children, junior and senior, cast curious glances his way. It was also easy to make eye contact with a few girls whose eyes clearly said, “I don’t like you.” Like Edge who sat a couple bodies away. Was she still upset over getting pushed?

Well if she’s upset she shouldn’t have been a mean poophead to me or Clay, Ben resolved.

Speaking of which, he caught sight of Clay sighting some bodies away. With a broad grin, Ben waved hello to her. Clay cocked an odd eyebrow. Ben kept waving, hoping she would return the gesture. But he could guess with a tilt of her head that she didn’t get it. That’s when he remembered sanzai.

“Cotton,” Ben asked. “Can you tell Clay ‘hi’?”

Happily obliging, Cotton sent Ben’s greeting. Clay’s confused expression turned to one of surprise. Then a pleasant grin with a wave of her own hand.

Ben smirked with triumph. “Thanks, Cotton. Loroi are so cool.”

Cotton blushed at the praise.

A call to attention rang out through the Arena from Housemaster Crescent. “All rise for her highness, Fourth Emperor Greywind.”

Greywind strode to the center of the assembled circle. The children and adults rose to their feet, offering silent reverence. Looking over the crowd of young and old, Greywind extended a hand.

“You may be seated,” she sent as well as spoke.

The assembly sat back down.

For the sake of their human guest, Greywind continued with dual communication. “The family conference is now called into session. This meeting concerns the affairs of the West Ginazaigo Imperial Home for Clan Lenarasin (Rainfall).”

The children shifted in their seats as they anticipated their elder’s news. Cotton assisted Ben with translation.

“Now before discussing the creche’s primary affairs, there is an interpersonal conflict that must be resolved.” Greywind summoned forth, “Edge! Clay! Ben! Stand and approach!”

The two girls rose from their seats to stand before the Emperor. It took Ben a few seconds to register that he was expected as many eyes fell on him.

Swinging his confused head left and right, Ben looked up at Cotton as he pointed at himself. “Me?”

Cotton nodded as she stood. “Come on, Ben. You are called.”

“B-but… I don’t know what to do.”

“Just go stand with the girls in the center and answer whatever questions the Emperor has. And remember not to speak unless she asks you something first. And show respect. Don’t worry. I will help you.”

Taking a nervous gulp, Ben rose and approached. Muscles tensed as he felt many eyes follow his every step. Standing by Clay, Ben looked up at Greywind.

The Emperor began, “Edge… what is the motto of the Loroi Union?”

Standing straight and attentive, Edge answered proudly, “Victory from duty only. Ascension through community only.”

Greywind’s eyes narrowed though not maliciously. “Indeed. Do you agree with that motto?”

“Yes, my Elder.”

“Edge, tell us what community is in simple terms.”

“My Elder, a community is a group of people working together toward a goal.”

“And how do people work together, Edge?”

Edge thought a moment. “By creating things that help the good of the group.”

“Is that all?”

“Emperor, I don’t understand.”

“Edge, would you agree that a community needs companionship?”

“It… does seem to help… I think.”

“Then answer this: why have you shown no companionship toward Clay?”

Edge eyed the civie born before looking back to Greywind. “Emperor, what are-”

“I ask the questions now, Edge,” Greywind said firmly. “Do you think Clay is unworthy to be a companion?”

“Emperor, I… I never said that.”

“But you feel it. You think it.”

Even if she could speak it, Edge could not lie with sanzai as she sent, “I… I do.”

Girls murmured verbally and telepathically, some in favor or against Edge’s outlook.

Greywind’s overbearing authority silenced the gossip before carrying on. “Tell us why you think Clay is not worthy to be a companion.”

Edge tried to justify herself, “Clay doesn’t get along with us. She’s always fighting with us and is bitter. Sure we’ve teased her, but teasing is common. Besides, she is a civilian. She’s born from civilians. Civilians are failed warriors. Failed warriors can’t fight or protect the Union. They’re inferiors who should stay with their own kind. And be thankful that we even take care of them.”

“Their own kind?” Greywind stepped toward the young trainee. “And what about half our servants here? Do they belong with their own kind? Or Black Mark? Was she not one of your first teachers during your first and second years at this creche? Did she not nurture you? Feed you? Is she unworthy to be here?”

Suddenly feeling cornered, Edge shrunk beneath Greywind’s towering height.

Greywind’s eyes burned brilliant blue as she looked down upon Edge. >Well?<

Overwhelmed with sudden dread, Edge could not find the courage to justify her statement.

Greywind’s blue orbs dimmed as she took a few steps back. “Edge… where does our food come from?”

Taken aback by such a question, Edge answered, “From farms? Agricultural stations?”

“And who operates these farms and agricultural stations?”

“L-loroi?”

“And who are these loroi? Warriors?”

“I… think so-”

“Wrong! Warriors’ primary duty is fighting enemies of the Union and defending its subjects. To keep the peace. They don’t have time to plow and harvest fields. So who must tend to farming then?”

Edge could not answer.

Greywind commanded, “Say it!”

“C-civilians?”

“Precisely. The civilians provide warriors with all that they need. Food. Tools. Weapons. Fuel. Clothing. Without the civilians we would not have these necessities. The civilians serve our needs. And we the warrior castes are sworn to defend them. And that is the whole meaning of community. Of companionship. One serves the other without reservation. And you label the civilians as inferiors simply because they cannot fight?”
"B-but... th-they are... cowards."

“I suppose that gives you all the justification then to mistreat them without fear of consequence?"

Edge lowered her gaze shamefully.

Greywind further reprimanded, "Foolish! Ignorant! Arrogant! Such sentiments further drive the wedge that separates the warriors from civilians. Giving our subjects and citizens all the more reason to sympathize with axis parties and criminal elements detrimental to the order of the Union. If you were a Diaderet, Edge, you would no doubt have won much favor with the Traditionalists... but lost the respect of the masses. The empire cannot run without the fuel and support of all its peoples. Including the civilians."

Edge’s lips quivered ever so slightly even as she fought to maintain strong composure.

Greywind was silent a moment to let her realization sink in. "You are not obligated to like the civilians, Edge. But you are expected to show decency. Something that too many warriors lack in these times. A time when rebuilding is crucial for the prosperity of the empire. Without decency, people lack respect. A society without respect sours and rots from within. Slowly. While Clay may come from a long line of civilians, that does not mean she is fated to a life of failure. Failure is a result of incompetence and bad luck. But most of all… of a stubborn refusal to learn. It seems true that we are better suited to certain roles in society. Hence why the caste system was founded. But it should not be the absolute determinant of who or what we may become. After all, if it were, do you think I would have become the Fourth Emperor? Clay’s mother gave up her child so that she would have the opportunity to allow her daughter to prove she is capable of becoming a warrior. That you, Edge, should choose to ‘tease’ for personal amusement rather than devoting your talents to building up a fellow comrade is an insult to what this creche, indeed our entire familial clan, represents.” The Emperor loomed over the shorter initiate. “I could command you to apologize to Clay, Edge. But what use is an apology without decency? Without sincerity? But I will command you to show respect. Indeed I command it of Clay. Of every loroi here. For if you intend to make enemies of people simply because you don’t like them, you can safely bet that you are not going to get far. Do I make myself clear?”

Edge's eyes watered as she held back tears. Whether she liked it or not, she had to obey. “Y-yes, my Elder.”

Clay, who had been watching the exchange unravel, smirked at the serious reprimand dealt to Edge.

“Clay!” Greywind’s eyes fell next on the civilian-born. “Wipe that smirk off your face!”

The grim satisfaction Clay felt at Edge’s scolding fell away along with her smile.

“Do you find this amusing?”

Clay could not help but shrug as she sent, >A bit.<

“Well, don’t! It is one thing to be proud. It is another to revel in the pain of others. A target for bullying ought to know this better than anyone else.”

Realizing her error, Clay lowered her head ashamed. “Yes, Emperor.”

“Listen well!” Greywind’s verbal and telepathic address went out to all. “This creche is not merely our home. Or our school. It is a symbol of unity. Of progress. Meant to serve as a bridge between people’s of difference. To prove that we can become more regardless of heritage or circumstance. Which brings me to my next order of business.” Greywind’s eyes fell on the only male present. “The reason for Ben’s presence.”

All eyes fell on the human.

Greywind carried on, “Ben is a victim of abuse and neglect. He was smuggled by criminals and brought to Taben where gangers led by Eternal Endurance intended to trade him. And yet fate seems to have brought him here. To us. You all are undoubtedly wondering why I would bring a human here to Deinar. To this creche. And my reason being: Ben, if he so accepts, will become a Union citizen. And be adopted into our family so that he may grow up and learn at this creche. In fact this creche will serve as sanctuary for any human children rescued from the Great Wastelands. This is the the special project I have told you about. It will be our duty to live alongside these humans and teach them the way of the warrior. This creche will serve as a revolutionary example to all loroi. A new community. A new way to ascend.”

Vocal and telepathic gasps echoed in the Arena.

>An alien?! Staying with us?<

>More humans are coming?!<

>Is a male really going to be allowed to stay here?<

>But that’s against loroi rules!<

>That would be awesome if the human gets to stay!<

>I want Ben to stay! I want to get to know him!<

>Me too!<

>I don’t want a human here! It seems wrong.<

>Neither do I.<

>Shut your mouths! Ben is wonderful! He should stay!<

>The alien belongs with its own kind.<

>Ben stays! We want to keep him!<

>Not us!<

>We want Ben to stay! And we outnumber those who don’t!<

>We want Ben! We want Ben!<

A heated argument began to brew.

“Silence!” Greywind commanded peace back to the assembly. The children settled down under Greywind’s order. “Silence. For those opposed to this idea, you have your own reasons. However sensible or irrational they seem. But I intend for Ben to stay here. So I command this of you: build a bridge and cross the river! Don't like it? Bow to fate!” Greywind’s attention turned to Ben. “Ben, I asked once if you wanted to be adopted by our family. Now I must ask what you want. Do you want to be adopted?”

Upon translation by Cotton, Ben stiffened nervously. The truth was he loved the loroi. They mostly seemed very kind and generous. But he still counted on being reunited with Lagertha. And some part of him really wanted to go to Earth. It was his dream. Sure the loroi seemed to promise he could go when he was older, but it seemed like an awfully long time away. Could he really wait that long?

“Well,” Ben said nervously. “I… uh…”

“Say yes!” One of the children spoke out, “Ben say yes!”

Another shouted, “Please say yes, Ben! We take good care of you!”

“We want you to stay!”

“We make you happy!”

“Deinar great world! You be happy with us!”

Ben felt overwhelmed as most of the girls chanted and urged him to accept Greywind’s proposal.

Even with his lotai, Greywind could see his distress. “Silence, children!” The yells quieted down. “Ben must not be coerced. This choice must be his. But it seems he needs more time to think about it. And that is why I want you to show Ben the best hospitality we loroi have to offer.”

Though many seemed disappointed, the children took the hint. Greywind ordered Edge, Clay and Ben back to their seats. Cotton guided the little boy back to his peers. Even as he sat back down, the children whispered for him to accept being adopted but were silenced by Black Mark and Cotton.

“Ben’s fate will be settled later,” said Greywind. “For now let us move on to other matters. According to Housemaster Crescent, quite a few of the younger children have been neglecting their studies. Particularly in literacy. While I don’t expect you to be literary scholars, you must be able to read and write if you are to serve in the military. Especially if you hope to climb the ranks…”

Greywind brought up quite a number of issues that the children and adults of the creche were expected to remedy eventually. Particularly in education and food consumption. And reminding the children to obey the creche masters. All the while, Cotton translated for Ben. Though was a bit frustrated that Ben’s focus seemed to be elsewhere. Indeed Ben could not help but keep wondering what he wanted to do.

Stay on Deinar? Or go to Earth?

-

Disclaimer: I don't know if Greywind's familial clan name is Lenarasin (Rainfall). That part I made up. But it seems to sound good. In fact I cannot be sure if loroi use clan names much like the way we use family names.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Loroi Emperor Tip #12:

“I will have on my staff of advisors a 5-year old child. Any flaws in my plans that he spots will be corrected before the plan is put into effect.”

;)
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Bravo!

The Loroi children are... like humans, a mirror of the culture they are raised in.

For example, my childhood was largely isolated from the rest of society outside of school... because the religion I was brought up with demanded it. The values I was taught made me think everyone was equal, but stressed loyalty above all to the God of the religion and the religious organization itself.

Now that I no longer practice or attend it as an adult, what remains that I have kept is the view that all men are equal, but religions I now avoid... since as children we were taught all but our own was corrupted. Only as an adult did I learn that the one I was raised up in had the same issues as others... but they deliberately never mention that to members... and encourage them to dismiss and ignore all negative media or news reports as lies and half-truths.

Since I enjoy Greywind as a character, I dedicate this song for your work... as a musical portrait of Emperor Greywind.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:22 pm

Loroi Emperor Tip #12:

“I will have on my staff of advisors a 5-year old child. Any flaws in my plans that he spots will be corrected before the plan is put into effect.”

;)
Because children see things adults can’t. Right?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Bamax wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:22 pm
Bravo!

The Loroi children are... like humans, a mirror of the culture they are raised in.

For example, my childhood was largely isolated from the rest of society outside of school... because the religion I was brought up with demanded it. The values I was taught made me think everyone was equal, but stressed loyalty above all to the God of the religion and the religious organization itself.

Now that I no longer practice or attend it as an adult, what remains that I have kept is the view that all men are equal, but religions I now avoid... since as children we were taught all but our own was corrupted. Only as an adult did I learn that the one I was raised up in had the same issues as others... but they deliberately never mention that to members... and encourage them to dismiss and ignore all negative media or news reports as lies and half-truths.

Since I enjoy Greywind as a character, I dedicate this song for your work... as a musical portrait of Emperor Greywind.

Thank you. Lovely choice of music. What makes you think this music reflects Greywind?

I myself was raised Roman Catholic though not strictly so. Even got sucked into the Born Again Christian cult for a few years. But ultimately the philosophy of non-Christians going to hell even because of mere circumstance did not sit well with me. Today I humbly carry myself with the dignity of an Agnostic. Though I enjoy arguing as an Atheist.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Well... the music reminds me of Greywind's childhood, which was somewhat abusive at times... which I can relate to... though I do think I had it worse than her.

Also she is complex in that she as a child did not want to be an emperor, not that she thought she would be in the first place, but I guess the tough love lessons of her mom stuck... along with the harsh lessons she learned dealing with other Loroi in training that went the way of Lord of The Flies.

As I said I likely had it worse than Grey.. since my abusive father on separate occasions threw me to the ground twice, kicked my feet out from under me and body slammed me on another, which fractured my leg and caused me to wear a cast for 2 months in high school.

I was never violent with him, but did attempt to stand up for myself on occasion... which ended up in the said abuse.

Also the music well illustrates both Greywind's persistence, her nobility, and the sheer amount of authority and power she wields... with class.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

@Bamax, damn man that's rough. Glad you got the hell out of that oven. Hope your abusive Dad got what he deserved (hope that doesn't offend you). 'Cause if your high school did not make some inquiry or take action upon seeing your injury, that would be really messed up. Then again it can happen in some communities that people turn a blind eye.

Now that you mention it, I could see this music playing alongside Greywind during her upbringing as she endures harsh treatment, intense lectures and arduous training to be a warrior. Going from a helpless child to a hardened adolescent. Or even alongside Greywind as she oversees Ben's upbringing/training.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Snoofman wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:58 pm
@Bamax, damn man that's rough. Glad you got the hell out of that oven. Hope your abusive Dad got what he deserved (hope that doesn't offend you). 'Cause if your high school did not make some inquiry or take action upon seeing your injury, that would be really messed up. Then again it can happen in some communities that people turn a blind eye.

Now that you mention it, I could see this music playing alongside Greywind during her upbringing as she endures harsh treatment, intense lectures and arduous training to be a warrior. Going from a helpless child to a hardened adolescent. Or even alongside Greywind as she oversees Ben's upbringing/training.

Well... when religious communities isolate from the rest of society, and members are instructed to do or say nothing that reflects bad on their God (in actuality their religious organization, since I am aware they do things even their God would not approve), let's just say things that should go reported go unreported.

In my case my parents told me to say my dad and I were wrestling, which could not be farther from the truth (I was trying to push him off me, and did so once I saw my mom fall back from hyperventilating and passed out since she was freaking out over the stress it caused her).

After I went to check on my mom who was still breathing, I yelled at my father to call 911, but he was still focused on me.

"Let's go outside."

"Who cares about us?! Call 911! Are you stupid?!"

So the ambulance showed up, and she was revived.

I was not aware that my father's version of events was different than my own, nor the fact that my mom was unconscious meant she would believe my dad's side of the story when she came to.

At school kids asked and out of embarassment I told them my parents version of events, same at the 'church' I went to.

One school kid did not buy it so I said my father tripped me, which was only a very white washed version of the truth.

The secondary reason I did not let everyone know the truth was that my father had a habit of shipping children he did not like to another state to live with my aunt (one had already been sent), and I was not used to that area and did not want to leave the only place I ever knew.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I finally got around to read this chapter. Emperor Greywind certainly demonstrates how to command her troublesome subordinates. Or to reign in unruly children. I wonder who's worse.

That girl, Edge, is a bit stupid, though. Does she also think that the electricity simply comes out of the outlet in the wall?

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

Cthulhu wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:43 pm
I finally got around to read this chapter. Emperor Greywind certainly demonstrates how to command her troublesome subordinates. Or to reign in unruly children. I wonder who's worse.

That girl, Edge, is a bit stupid, though. Does she also think that the electricity simply comes out of the outlet in the wall?
Having worked with someone who thought plugging a second phone into an outlet would make both of them charge slower, it is not a stretch at all.
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

wolf329 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:26 pm
Cthulhu wrote:

Having worked with someone who thought plugging a second phone into an outlet would make both of them charge slower, it is not a stretch at all.
To respond to both comments, yeah Edge seems stupid. But children essentially are stupid learning to be smart. Plus she’s barely six. Even by loroi standards I think it’s safe to assume there are some young, ignorant loroi. Plus children will test their boundaries. Can’t imagine loroi children, even when they grow up so fast, are that different.

Greywind as an Emperor and parental figure must undoubtedly deal with all kinds of stupid both at home and abroad. Her philosophy: dissuade with diplomacy or stomp it out with brute force. Though at times she might mix the two up.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Cthulhu wrote:

I have the feeling a lot of adult Loroi think more or less the same way. Like in any caste system, the uppers just feel entitled to the benefits provided by their "lessers".

"Respect? Bah! They should be grateful we allow them to be around."

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

wolf329 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:26 pm
This "misconception" would at least prevent them from connecting a dozen appliances to a single outlet. There's always a silver lining. ;)
Snoofman wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:57 am
To respond to both comments, yeah Edge seems stupid. But children essentially are stupid learning to be smart. Plus she’s barely six. Even by loroi standards I think it’s safe to assume there are some young, ignorant loroi. Plus children will test their boundaries. Can’t imagine loroi children, even when they grow up so fast, are that different.
Loroi begin the diral trials at 8, so I guess that this brattiness will be driven out by force by her comrades, if she retains that attitude until then.
Snoofman wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:57 am
Greywind as an Emperor and parental figure must undoubtedly deal with all kinds of stupid both at home and abroad. Her philosophy: dissuade with diplomacy or stomp it out with brute force. Though at times she might mix the two up.
No, the ability to differentiate the two already sets Greywind apart from most Loroi. That's probably the reason why she was made Emperor. :D
raistlin34 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:40 am
I have the feeling a lot of adult Loroi think more or less the same way. Like in any caste system, the uppers just feel entitled to the benefits provided by their "lessers".

"Respect? Bah! They should be grateful we allow them to be around."
That's basically the premise of dragoongfa's fanfic "Reforged". There, the Loroi simply got rid of the "failures" aka civilians by shipping them off to the barbarians (Humans).

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Wind and Fire - Chapter 28

-

Greywind sat before a long mirror in her chambers. It was quite late into the evening. Greywind had not slept. She didn’t need to. Not tonight.

>I admire your ability to paint, Attendant,< Greywind sent sincerely.

>I am pleased that you approve, my Emperor,< Link sent back. She finished the last stroke on Greywind’s exposed arms.

>I remember the candidates from years ago when I was in need of a new attendant. I chose well.<

>I am honored by such praise, your highness.< Link dabbed her brush into a small platter, staining it with white before bringing it up to the Emperor’s face. >Please hold still while I administer the final touches.<

Every stroke of Link’s brush tingled the sensitive skin on Greywind’s face. But discipline compelled the Emperor to compose her unflinching demeanor. Following the family conference, the children were permitted to enjoy some leisure for the rest of the day. Once again the girls swarmed Ben, eager to spend time with the little human. Ben was forced to engage with them in numerous games and personal introductions. Not that he seemed to mind. Ben seemed happy at the creche. Now he snored away on her bed after a long day of fun and feasting.

Link smirked as she stole a peek at him every now and then. >He is awfully cute when he sleeps.<

>Stop acting like a jittery pubescent, Attendant,< Greywind chastised.

Link suppressed a giggle as she kept painting. >Forgive me, your highness.<

The presence of a loroi could be felt outside the Emperor’s chambers.

>Enter,< Greywind commanded.

The doors slid open for Housemaster Crescent.

>Yes?< sent Greywind.

>Your highness,< Crescent sent with a bow as the doors shut behind her. >Preparations are nearly completed. The tent has been erected and we are transferring the instruments you wished for.<

>Very good, Housemaster.<

Crescent fidgeted her hands nervously. Even without sanzai, Greywind could tell she was contemplating and fretted.

>Housemaster, if there is something else on your mind just voice it,< sent Greywind.

Crescent did just that. >Your highness, I am usually not one to question your decisions. After all, my task is just managing the creche. And to ensure that all its children are well-armed for their upcoming trials. I would never dare question your judgement… even if it seemed unorthodox. Oh! But not that my opinions matter, I assure you. Even if I didn’t like it, I would never refuse a direct command from you, Emperor. After all it’s my duty to abide by your-<

>Get to the point, Crescent!<

Mustering up her courage with a gulp, Crescent sent, >Emperor, with all due respect, I do not think it is a smart idea to raise a human male at this creche.<

>I have spoken, Housemaster. If Ben accepts to be adopted, then he deserves the best upbringing we loroi have to offer. A chance to prove he is a competent servant for the Union.<

>But surely the human could be raised elsewhere then, your highness,< Crescent insisted. She couldn’t help but glance at said human resting on the Emperor’s bed. >It is… entertaining to see the children so happy having fun with their new companion. But the human’s presence is certain to draw attention. There will undoubtedly be queries from correspondents and commanding officers. The outrage it would cause gives me reason for concern.<

>Which my analysts and operatives will handle,< Greywind assured her. >You needn’t fret over an inquiry. After all, there’s an ocean lying between this creche and any curious minds. In the event any correspondents approach you or any of our employ at this creche, you will simply decline to comment. Should any officers heckle you, you have the Emperor’s seal as your shield.<

>Won’t that only make loroi all the more suspicious?<

>For a while, yes. No doubt their inability to satisfy their suspicions will flare into frustration. But as long as you and the staff of this creche don’t engage with them, boredom will compel them to desist.<

>I understand, Emperor. But the presence of a human… a male no less… is certain to cause disruptions. We caregivers had enough trouble keeping the girls in check during family reunions. Especially when male relatives came to visit.<

>These problems can be solved with time, Housemaster,< Greywind assured her.

>But Emperor, why can’t the human just be raised elsewhere?<

>Do you dislike Ben, Housemaster?<

>Certainly not, your highness,< Crescent assured her. >But raising a human here seems equivalent to teaching an Arekka how to be a native Deinar. The human seems better off to be raised with its own kind.<

>Ben stays,< Greywind sent firmly. >I intend to make that happen.<

>Forgive me, Emperor, but I must know why.<

While a loroi cannot lie with sanzai, one could hide secrets with enough mental discipline. In addition, a clever loroi could avert the suspicion of others by offering another truth.

And so Greywind gave Crescent a bit of truth without jeopardizing her real intentions. >Do you know why I adopted Clay and my few civilian wards?<

>To serve as an example that civilian-born are redeemable in warrior society,< Crescent replied.

>Precisely. The civilian population is growing restless. Punishment is useful. But the mob is only willing to endure so much punishment. We cannot win the civilians’ obedience with more penalties. Not for a long-term solution. They need something to placate them. Something revolutionary. And the hope of redemption may just be the answer. This creche must lead by example to illustrate that point for the Union. As must every single one of its members. Ben, if he is up to the challenge, could serve as a shining example for humanity. So that humans may see there is much to be gained by joining the Union.<

Crescent was taken aback by such a bold proclamation. >I… I don’t know what to say to that, your highness.<

>I can sense your hesitation and skepticism, Housemaster.<

Crescent bowed her head. >Forgive me, Emperor. Regardless of my personal feelings on the matter, I live to serve.<

>As it should be, Crescent. We will continue this conversation with the creche’s staff at a later time.<

>Then if there is nothing more, I will take my leave, my Emperor.< Crescent bowed formerly as she was dismissed. Before exiting through the parting doors, Crescent stopped to ask, >Pardon me one more time, Emperor, but I am most curious… what is the point of exposing Ben to this ritual of yours?<

>I will simply say,< sent Greywind, >that some minds can be won with persuasion. But young minds are more easily won by the art of mysticism.<

-

Ben felt like the world was rocking back and forth. Was he still dreaming? When last he checked he was sleeping in Greywind’s soft, warm bed. But he was still too groggy to care for the moment. Ben just allowed the world to sway him and tried to fall back to sleep. When Ben slowly came to rather than fall back asleep, he suddenly realized that the world was not swaying. Slowly opening his tired eyes, Ben saw the upper shoulders and head of Teidar Hailstorm. The Unsheathed looked down at him briefly upon noticing he was awake before looking ahead again.

Looking around and seeing nothing but a grassy hill and a starry sky, Ben realized he was being carried. But where was Hailstorm taking him?

The Teidar stopped before Ben could ask any questions and gently set him down. Ben rubbed his eyes as he stood on shaky legs. Looking around him, he realized they were on top of a grassy hill with a view of the mansion some distance away and the shoreline. A cool breeze made Ben shiver, waking him up a bit faster.

“W-what’s going on?” Ben asked, rubbing his arms. “What are we doing here?”

Hailstorm pointed behind Ben. Ben looked behind himself to see a large yurt with a central roof flashing. Two loroi clad in gold armor stood near the yurt’s entrance.

Ben looked back to Hailstorm. “What’s that?”

“Go,” Hailstorm commanded. “She waits for you.” She turned heel and started back down the hill.

“Who?” Ben asked. “Who’s waiting?” He made to chase after Hailstorm.

The Teidar stopped Ben and pointed again toward the tent. “Go!” Effectively ending the discussion, Hailstorm marched away.

Ben wondered if he should just go back to the mansion. But a gust of cold wind made him shiver and he decided he wanted the warmth of the yurt. He stopped just in front of the tent where the two guards stood. Both looked down at him. Ben just stood with arms hugged to his chest. Was he supposed to do or say something? Seemed unnecessary when one of the guards pulled open the tent door. Ben ducked his way into the tent’s dark interior. The golden clad loroi let the tent door drop.

It was dark. Ben felt a brief moment fear. What were they going to do with him in here?

Ben’s focus was suddenly drawn to two cerulean orbs glowing on the other side of the tent staring back at him. A third light suddenly glowed just below the two orbs. It looked like a spark. Ben’s suspicion was confirmed as the spark combusted into a flame, which in turn illuminated the face of an elderly loroi. A long vertical stroke painted down her forehead stretching across the length of her nose and continued to the base of her chin. Two adjacent lines starting from the bridge of her nose ran down across her cheeks. The pattern seemed reminiscent of a blade and guarded handle. A few series of geometric lines ran down her face and cheeks in symmetrical fashion.

It took Ben several seconds to recognize Greywind. She wore a sleeveless robe, her bare arms painted in lines and patterns Ben could not even describe. The torch she carried in hand was lowered to ignite a fire pit in the center of the yurt. A table stood nearby with a number of instruments. Ben felt as if he had just walked into a sorcerer’s lair.

Greywind cast the torch into the fire pit. It sparked and crackled, the smoke rising out of the roof flashing. She moved toward the table, her long violet cape trailed after her. “Come here, Ben.”

Ben hesitated. Greywind’s demeanor seemed frighteningly different.

With a stern look she motioned with her finger. “I said come here.”

Ben walked over to the table. Greywind reached over the tool littered table and dragged forward a bowl covered in a cloth. Before Ben could ask what lay underneath, Greywind whipped the cover away. Ben gasped at the jawless skull and bones that lay beneath, resting on top of a pile of what Ben guessed was dust. Or was it ash?

Greywind took the skull and presented it for Ben. “Here, Ben. Hold it.”

With small tentative hands, Ben took the large skull. It was not heavy but surprisingly substantial. Turning the lumpy globe around in his hands, Ben inspected every lobe, hole and crevice. His fingers traced along the upper jaw of aged teeth still intact.

“Ben, that skull belonged to my ancestor,” said Greywind. “One of many.”

Ben switched his focus up to the Emperor. “What’s an ancestor?”

“Someone who birthed the people that came after. Without them, I would have never been born.”

“Neat,” Ben said amazed. He poked a finger into the skull’s foramen magnum. He got shivers just feeling around at the unusual textures inside the cranial cavity. Hard to believe that this skull was once a person. “Who was she?”

“That particular skull belonged to a loroi who lived ten thousand years ago on planet Perrein. The world I came from. Her name was Inzil-tii-Lein… Wind and Fire.”

“Woah,” Ben said mesmerized.

“Woah indeed. Inzil-tii-Lein was a brave warrior. One of hundreds of grandchildren to Rainfall, the first loroi to found our familial clan.” Greywind extended her hand. “Give it to me.”

Ben obeyed, handing the skull back to Greywind who placed it on the table. Next she reached for a hammer. She raised it up and brought it down.

Whack! Crack!

The skull’s frontal lobe fractured and collapsed as the hammer came down on it. Ben gasped in horror at the sudden violence, instinctively tucking his arms in. Greywind brought the hammer down again and again as she splintered the skull into pieces. Ben shuddered with each hammer fall.

Taking a brush in hand, Greywind scooped the pieces into a separate bowl.

“Come. Let me show you one of our family’s most important traditions.” Greywind walked over to the fire pit with the bowl of shattered skull.

Ben followed. Above the fire pit was a stand supporting a small mold. Greywind extended her hand as her eyes burned brilliant blue. Ben jumped as the red coals turned hot yellow. The heat of the tent seemed to climb as Ben felt sweat start to form on his brow. The hot coals dimmed from yellow to red once more as Greywind relinquished her pyrokinetic influence. The dimming heat allowed Ben to peek into the mold. He wondered if Greywind was brewing some magic potion. Instead he found a red hot liquid.

“What’s that?” he asked.

“Pure iron,” she said as she tipped the bowl. The skull splinters clunked and tumbled into the mold, sizzling and crackling as they touched the red hot iron.

Handing the bowl to Ben to be placed back on the table, Greywind held her right hand over the mold, moving it in slow circles as if casting a spell. A curious Ben waddled back to find the mystical Emperor doing just that. He watched in pure amazement as the cindering bone fragments were consumed in the circulating waves of molten iron, all according to Greywind’s will.

“Wow,” he whispered. “You really are a Jedi.”

“Jedi are a fantasy, Ben.” She recalled their discussion several nights ago. “What you see here is the true power of a loroi. And I have only given you a sample.”

Glowing eyes turned back to dull blue as Greywind released the molten iron from her spell.

“Do you know what a ritual is, Ben?”

The little boy shook his head looking up at Greywind. “Is it magic?”

The old Emperor explained, “No, Ben. It is much more important than that. A ritual is a set of words, actions or objects that we use to perform in particular order. Most often loroi rituals are reminders of who we are and where we come from. Or how to perform a craft. This particular ritual has been performed in our family since Rainfall founded our clan.”

“Why?”

“To welcome new members of the clan, Ben.”

“Y-you mean… me?”

Greywind nodded. “Yes, Ben. But loroi had to earn their right to be apart of the clan. Do you know what the word ‘loroi’ means?”

Ben shrugged. “A person?”

“It means ‘warrior’. And a warrior is someone who fights for what she loves. This ritual… our tradition… strengthens the bond between members. Forging the bond between mother and daughter. Sister and sister. Elder and student. A loroi would offer a piece of herself and her initiate into the mold, along with a fragment of our ancestors. Most of the bones of our ancestors still lie back in our family’s mausoleum on Perrein. But a few we brought with us here to Deinar. This we do to remind the children of the importance of family.”

“Emperor… why are you showing me this?”

Greywind knelt down to his level. “Because… you are special, Ben.”

“I am?”

Greywind nodded. “You cannot imagine how important you are. I believe you will change the coarse of fate. For humans and loroi alike. I cannot say why or how. But one day you will understand.” She took his tiny hands into her own. “My mother taught me this ritual. And her mother before taught her. Just as I have done with my daughters that followed after me. Now… I want to share it with you. I want you to become a warrior… like us. I want you to become the best that you can be. So I ask you again: stay here. Stay with us. Let us take care of you. Let us teach you. Let us train you. You will go places that others can only dream of. You will bring monsters to their knees. And bring peace and order to our empire. You will learn secrets about the loroi that others could never dream of.” She clasped one hand on his shoulder. “So please… let me adopt you, Ben. Let me make you apart of our family. Give everything for us. And we will give everything for you. I beg you… stay here… stay with us… stay with me.” Growing bolder, Greywind’s hand slid up Ben’s neck, resting on his warm cheek. “Become my child.”

Ben was stunned.

This woman wanted to keep him and make him into something great. She wanted to share something special with him and make him apart of her family. Why? Did she want something from him? Was it him that she wanted?

But why?

Could it be…

Was it that…

“Do you love me?”

Greywind was caught off guard by such a bold question. “What?”

The promise of becoming a warrior and learning the secrets of the loroi sounded great to Ben. But paled compared to a longing. A question that needed to be answered. “Emperor… do you want me to stay… because you love me?”

For a moment Greywind was too shocked to reply as she gazed into the boy’s innocent, hopeful eyes. For several pounding heartbeats she fished for a diplomatic answer coming short of anything that would make sense to a five year old human. Would it suffice if Greywind simply said that she cared about him? Yes. Yes, perhaps that was enough. She would tell him that she simply cared for his well-being. She should not encourage him to get attached to her. Nor should she cling to him.

“Ben…… I-”

The words never made it out as Ben’s warm hand rested over her hand touching his cheek. Suddenly Greywind was at complete loss for words. Her lips quivered and muscles relaxed as something foreign yet familiar washed over her.

Without thinking, her answer came out barely audible. “…………yes …… yes I do.”

What the shred did I just say?! Greywind inwardly thought.

Ben’s eyes watered. Tears of joy rolled down his cheeks as he dove into the Emperor, planting a kiss on her cheek. Resting his head on her shoulder, Ben cascaded a stream of joyful tears as they moistened Greywind’s robe.

“I love you too,” he cried.

For a moment Greywind forgot everything else. The ritual. Her duties. Her plan. None of it seemed to matter for those solons that seemed to stretch forever. This boy had just kissed her and said he loved her. Greywind was dumbstruck. She knew she should not have said what she just said. But she did anyway. It seemed sacrilege to say what went against duty, and yet she could not help it. Duty told her to take back those words. To make Ben understand that they could not become attached. Didn’t she already lay down the rule of no touching? A rule they clearly were violating. Did they guards outside see what was happening? No they couldn’t. She sensed them remaining true to their posts. Duty said to take it back. Instead Greywind’s arms slowly trapped Ben into her embrace. Gently squeezing Ben’s chest to her own while running fingers through his golden locks. Burying her face into the base of his neck.

So warm.

So soft.

So gentle.

Even though he still desired to go to Earth and be reunited with his mother, Ben knew he did not want to be separated from Greywind. This loroi loved him like a mother to a son. He felt it. He knew it in his heart. The thought of leaving her and all these loroi that loved him tore him up with guilt. How could he leave them when they clearly wanted him to stay? At that moment Ben knew what he wanted. Earth could wait.

“Okay,” he whispered. “I’ll do it.”

“What?” Greywind pulled away, holding him at half an arm’s length to look into his eyes.

“I want to stay. I want to be adopted. I want to be a warrior like you.”

“You mean… you accept?”

Ben nodded vigorously.

It took several solons for Greywind to recompose herself. “Then let us waste no time. Come, Ben. Sit with me.”

Greywind took a dagger from the table’s instruments and stabbed it into the bowl of pulverized bones. Taking it a few paces from the fire, Greywind sat on her knees with Ben crosslegged across from her. Taking a fistful of bone dust Greywind sprinkled it over Ben’s head. Ben’s eyes instinctively clamped shut, his hands shielded his head from the snowing dust.

“In ancient times,” said Greywind, “our kin would gather the bodies of our dead. The dead flesh would be stripped or burnt away only to keep the bones.”

Ben eased up as he opened his eyes, lowering his hands. “Why?”

Greywind licked her fingers before scooping them into the dust bowl. “My people believed, Ben, that a warrior’s spirit, or at least a portion of it, remained in the bones. And so the bones were stored away in mausoleums to be saved for a later time.” She smeared a portion of the dust onto Ben’s forehead. She continued to paint lines down the bridge of his nose and across his cheeks. “The bones would be taken forth only to welcome a new loroi into our familial clan. The bones would be then ground or burnt to dust. And the new loroi bathed in it. So that she would take the strength of her predecessor into herself.”

“So,” Ben pondered the meaning of Greywind’s words, “you’re giving me the dust to make me strong like a loroi.”

“The ritual today is only symbolic, Ben. But in a sense, yes.” Greywind licked her thumb before stamping it into the dust. Ben was taken aback as she held it in front of his lips.

Greywind motioned her thumb. “Open your mouth, Ben.”

Ben did as instructed. The dusted thumb made Ben cringe as the bitter taste touched his tongue.

Greywind withdrew her thumb. “Do not spit, Ben. Swallow!”

Though eager to protest, Ben did so with a displeased gulp. “I don’t feel stronger.”

“The ritual is meant to impart spiritual strength. Physical strength will come to you through training and diligence.” Setting the bowl aside, Greywind held out her arms, motioning Ben to do likewise. The two took hold of each other’s forearms.

“Ben, I trust Cotton has taught you how sanzai works.”

Ben nodded. “I think I get it.”

“‘Get it?’” Interesting expression, thought Greywind. “Do you know then what happens when loroi touch, Ben?”

Ben shook his head.

“The sanzai bond becomes stronger. Both minds become very open to each other. Defenses fall away and the two experience intimacy like none other. The elders did this to judge a new loroi if she was loyal to the clan and brave enough to fight for it.”

Ben’s head lowered a bit ashamed.

“What is wrong?”

Ben looked back up at Greywind. “Emperor… am I brave?”

“Only you can answer that, Ben.”

Ben thought it over a moment. “I… I want to be.”

Greywind nodded her approval. “I cannot read your mind or share sanzai with you because of your shield. And so I perform this ritual in good faith with you. I trust you, Ben. But do you trust me?”

“Yeah.”

“Will you be brave when our family needs you to be?”

“Yes.”

“Do you swear to commit to this family? To serve without question? To give everything for it as it will give everything for you?”

“Yes.”

“Then study hard. Train hard. Fight well. And we shall make you a great warrior, Ben.”

Greywind’s eyes burned brilliant cerulean again. The knife in the bowl of dust whistled as something invisible made it budge. The blade was gently drawn out of its dusty sheath, swishing faintly as it circled through midair. Ben watched with anxious fascination as it hovered with tip down above his left hand. Greywind delicately turned Ben’s hand over, holding his index finger steady.

Prick!

“Ouch!” Ben flinched after the floating dagger descended to make a minor puncture in his digit. He teared up at the pain.

“Do not cry, Ben,” Greywind said gently. She exposed her own index finger as the floating dagger jabbed, leaving a minor incision. Taking the levitating dagger in hand, she placed it back in the bowl. “Come.” Ben hesitated.

Rising to their feet, Greywind lead Ben back to the burning mold.

“Now, Ben, hold your bloody finger over the molten iron.”

The boy hesitated.

“No more cuts, Ben. I promise.”

Ben awkwardly did as she said, though careful not to get too close as to burn himself over the mold. Greywind took hold of his cut finger with her index and thumb. With gentle appliance, a drop fell into the hot liquid making a barely audible sizzle. Ben withdrew his hand as she released him. Holding her own punctured finger over the mold, Greywind applied pressure as a few drops fell in.

She retrieved a medical plaster from the table and applied it to Ben’s finger.

“Why did you have to do that?” Ben asked.

Greywind applied a plaster to her own digit. “A warrior’s bones are shared with her living kin, Ben. But her bones make also for fine steel.”

“Huh?”

“The bones of our dead are not only used for ceremony, Ben. They have a practical use. In ancient times, a dead warrior’s bones would be melted into iron to make a new blade. Our ancestors believed that her spirit gave power to the blade. Which the elders gave to their new warriors. So that even in death a fallen could join her kin in battle in the form of a new weapon. This step of the ritual required elders and initiates to offer a piece of themselves to demonstrate their willingness to share their strength with each other. And to pay homage to the fallen who gave their lives for those that remain. So too must we.”

“So… you’re making a new weapon from steel… bone… and blood?” Ben forgot about his pained finger. “Cool.”

“No, Ben. It is hot.”

“So what’s the weapon gonna’ be?”

“A dagger.”

“Really?!”

“But you are still too young to have such a weapon. When you have trained and prove to be responsible enough, you will receive it. For now, the iron will be molded into a block only to be forged when the time is right.”

“Oh,” Ben pouted.

“Do not be disappointed, Ben. In the meantime, you will receive something else made from this steel.”

Ben perked up upon hearing that. “Really? What is it?”

“It is a surprise I will show you after your initiation,” Kneeling back down to his level, Greywind held the little boy’s shoulders. “Now, Ben. Once you agree to this, there is no going back. If you accept to be my adopted child, you must be ready to do what is asked. But I promise, if you do, there will be great rewards. Now… are you ready?”

Ben nodded vigorously. “Yeah.”

Greywind could not have been more pleased. “Good boy.” Rising to her feet, she sent out a command to the Gallens outside. Swooping the tent door open the Gallens entered. One of them took an iron clamp from the table to carefully lift up the mold from the fire pit.

“What are they doing, Emperor?” Ben asked as he watched the Gallens work.

“Making the surprise. Now come. Dawn is coming.”

The Gallens were left to their work as Greywind left behind the yurt with Ben close behind. Some paces down the grassy hill, Greywind noticed Ben slow as he rubbed his eyes.

“What is wrong?” she asked.

“Emperor, I’m kinda’ sleepy.”

She should have told him to endure, as a true warrior should. It was important for him to be able to stand on his own two feet. Instead she surprised Ben as she swooped him up into her arms. Even for a three century old loroi Greywind had not grown weaker. Ben rested his tired head against Greywind’s shoulder. A slight wind and her cold body made him shiver, but he didn’t care. He had Greywind. His second mother. He nestled his nose against the base of her neck. Her scent reminded him of some ice cream Lagertha brought back with her from one of her trips. He didn't know how she got it but only cared how good it was.

“Emperor?”

“Yes, Ben.”

"You smell like vanilla."

"Thank you, Ben." Whatever vanilla was.

“…… You’re my hero.”

Greywind could not have been more pleased with the outcome of tonight’s events. Ben had willingly accepted her proposal. Soon he would be sworn in as a Union citizen and belong to Clan Rainfall. With time perhaps the human lotai could be unravelled and allow the loroi to infiltrate human minds. And if he indeed was up to the challenge, Ben would grow up to be a strong servant of Greywind’s empire. Greywind was glad. Although she did not smile, truly she felt happy after not feeling joy in what seemed like ages.

She placed a gentle kiss on Ben’s cheek. Her human. Her boy. Hers. “You are mine.”
Last edited by Snoofman on Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Hmm, how wonderfully barbaric, yet also wholesome. Interestingly enough, mixing bone ash into iron will indeed make it tougher.

gigachad

Post by gigachad »

Great chapter! Ben could be a great Loroi agent in the long term, if not mistakenly a trained human male is noticeably stronger and tougher than the average Loroi warrior?

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

gigachad wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:29 pm
Great chapter! Ben could be a great Loroi agent in the long term, if not mistakenly a trained human male is noticeably stronger and tougher than the average Loroi warrior?
Loroi females are as strong as men for their weight. On average men weigh more than women since they develop more muscle naturally whereas women make more fat for reproduction (breasts and baby etc).

So you are correct, but since Teidar and Mizol have other superhuman abilities, strength is well... useful but they kind of already have that in spades.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Author's note: this story is soon coming to an end. I'm planning maybe three or four more chapters. I never intended for it to be this long. Initially I was planning 10 to 15 chapters, but I just had to write. Once again thank you all readers for reading. And special thanks to you commenters whose criticism and praise has kept me motivated.

Wind and Fire - Chapter 29

-

Three days.

That is how long Grey sat in her cell after returning from their trials. The Elders, following an examination and inquiry of the rest of the diral, had learnt about Grey’s misdeed. To say they were appalled by the fact that Grey willingly placed a fellow diral member in danger was an understatement. And the rest of the diral was only too happy to point out Grey’s wrongdoings. Save for Cliff. Though she was far too meek to speak up in Grey’s defense, save for mentioning the fact that Grey saved her from the flames. Following the inquiry, it seemed to the Elders only fitting that Grey should be imprisoned before coming up with a suitable sentence. But not before shaving away what little hair she had grown during her time in the Perrein woods. Disgrace and demotion to civilian life did not seem to be enough. A few of the Elders had emphasized that point.

During her incarceration, no one had come to visit Grey. Not even Cliff. Just a guard that would come to replenish her food tray. Now Grey just waited for her inevitable sentence.

Grey was in for a surprise when a familiar presence entered her range of psyche. But didn’t feel any happier knowing who had come to visit her. The door to her cell slid open.

>Seal the door,< Rainlash commanded the guard as she entered.

The guard obliged. Mother and daughter were effectively alone.

Rainlash just stared. Stared with captious blue eyes down at her child. “Shame,” she muttered. “Shame you bring unto yourself. Unto our familial clan. I armed you with the best knowledge that others only wish they could have. And look what I got for it. Shame!”

Grey, with legs hugged to her chest, just lowered her head to her knees. >What are you doing here?< she sent bitterly. >I thought you said I'd never see you again.<

“Look at me!” Rainlash commanded.

Grey refused. >Go away.<

Smack!

Grey glared daggers up at her mother as Rainlash smacked her across her bald head. Suddenly enraged, Grey launched herself at her mother. The elder, having decades of mastery, easily deflected Grey before pinning the initiate face first to the ground. Grey kicked and thrashed, futilely trying to break free of Rainlash’s left hand that pinned Grey’s lower neck to the floor, hurtfully locking Grey’s right arm with the other.

>I hate you!< Grey cried. >I hate you so much! You’ve never loved me! So why don’t you just stop tormenting me and go?!<

>Love?!< Rainlash scoffed, her grip as solid as iron. >Stupid girl! Love is a pleasant feeling. At best it makes us feel good. United. But it is not enough to make you a competent warrior. Much less a strong one. You are naive. Narrow-minded. Foolish. So was I when I was young like you. These things can be rectified. But your poorly executed plan and botched scheme? Now that complicates things. The one called Greenscale… her kin have learnt about your act and want you executed for it. By all rights I should abandon you to dhalid.<

>Then why don’t you?< Grey sneered, tensing as Rainlash applied more pressure. Grey suddenly lost control as she unleashed her power. >You expelled me from your home, remember?<

A stabbing shock to the skull forced Rainlash to release Grey. >So it is true. Your powers really have activated.<

Grey fought back the tears. She did not want to seem weak in front of Rainlash. Stars forbid her cruel mother should have that satisfaction. >Why did you even come here? Why bother coming to Perrein?<

>Because you have something worth saving.<

Those words made Grey stop whimpering. >What?< Grey asked, turning over to look up at her mother.

>Your true Mizol strength has just surfaced,< sent Rainlash. >And that it should happen to one so young is remarkable. Even more astounding is that you seem unusually strong for a gifted Mizol. Such talents must not go to waste.<

Grey’s initial anger was replaced now by curiosity. >I’m… talented?<

>Yes,< Rainlash confirmed. >And should be put to good use. Stand, Grey!<

Grey did as instructed.

>Do you want a chance for redemption?<

>I…< Grey was caught off guard. >I do.<

>How far are you willing to regain your honor?<

>Any distance.<

>What are you willing to do for it?<

>Anything.<

>Then you will return with me to Deinar, Grey. Once there, you will initiate the next phase of your training.<

Grey was shocked. >My training?! But the Elders-<

>I have persuaded the Elders to see your case from a different angle,< Rainlash interrupted. >What you did was unintelligibly shameful. But ultimately was merely to save your companion. Not driven by revenge against your Diral Chief or an ulterior motive to replace Greenscale. Had that been the case, you would have been deemed a liability. And the fact that you could influence your comrades so easily with your powers is quite astonishing. You will be placed on probation under the condition that you abide by warrior conduct and complete your training. If you succeed at the Mizol Academy, you will be granted a full pardon with your honor intact.<

Grey was going to the Mizol Academy? It seemed too good to be true and yet Grey felt no deception coming from her mother. >I… I will not fail.<

>Best you don’t, Grey. This is not an act of charity. You will prove your worth with diligence and cleverness. I will not forgive failure or misconduct a second time. And remember. You are no longer Grey. As an initiate who survived her trials, even in disgrace, you have earned your place in our familial clan. Therefore you have also won the honorable extension to your name. When you were born, I chose your name because your gray hair is what struck me as your most distinguishable feature.< Rainlash held up Grey’s chin, intensifying the bond between mother and daughter. >Now that your powers have awakened, I can see your semblance has changed. You no longer bear the dim glow of a common loroi. Your essence is like ash carried on the winds. Yet within that drifting ash are cinders waiting to erupt into flames of power. You are the shade that conceals the full force of its potential. This is a clever skill to catch your adversaries by surprise. An asset to a true Mizol.< Rainlash released Grey’s chin and spoke, “From this moment on you are called Greywind.”

Grey complied, >I am ready.<

>Then come along.<

The guard returned to release them. Grey… no… Greywind obediently followed Rainlash to their new destination.

-

Grey expected to step into the hallway. Instead she stepped into somewhere quite out of place. She looked around at the shabby interior of a strange yet familiar room.

>What the- I’m back on Grind.<

She found Ben sitting at a table, eating from of bowl with something creamy and white.

The little boy took notice of her. “Grey!” he squeeled joyfully with a spoon in his mouth.

>Ben? What are you doing?< She took a seat by his side.

“Eating vanilla ice cream,” he said with a smile. “Mom brought it back from her trip.”

Grey cringed upon hearing the mention of Lagertha, but chose not to voice her opinion. >Where is she?<

Ben shrugged. “She had to go talk to Stephen. But she promised she’ll be back.” He took another mouthful of ice cream. “You want some?”

>What?<

“It’s really good.” He scooped up a bit of the white stuff and offered his spoon to her. “Try it.”

Grey eyed the alien goop suspiciously. >Ben, that seems kind but I’d rather not.<

Ben suddenly had a smug grin on his face. “Say ‘ah’.”

>Say what?<

“Ah!” Ben’s mouth gaped open.

Grey raised an eyebrow. “Ah?”

Ben launched his sneak attack as he plunged the spoon into Grey’s mouth. Grey cringed, seriously wanting to spit out the vile-

>Wait!<

A smooth sweetness melted over Grey’s tongue followed by a flavor that she never tasted before. Was this the genuine taste of ice cream? Or maybe Ben was unknowingly imprinting his pleasant memory of tasting ice cream. >Delicious!<

Ben smirked triumphantly, scooping up another spoon-full and ate. He stuck out a white-glazed tongue at Grey.

Grey did likewise, showing her own blue tongue painted over by white.

Ben giggled. “He he he! You’re funny.”

>You’re silly.<

Grey was caught off guard as Ben smeared a bit of ice cream on her nose and dashed from the table. Grey scoffed with a laugh as she dove after him, swooping up the squirming little squealer before setting him down on the room’s cot.

>Now you will be punished,< Grey said with a wicked grin, taking jabs at Ben’s sensitive ribs.

“No!” Ben cried out with a high-pitched laugh. “Ha ha!”

The two went back and forth in a competition of tickling and laughter. Grey was happy. For the first time she was truly happy. After exhausting themselves, Grey lay back on the cot. Ben lay on top of her, his ear to her chest.

“I can hear your heart.”

>Do you?<

“Mhm.” He wrapped his arms around her midsection.

Grey rubbed his golden hair. >I never want to lose you.<

“I love you, Grey.”

Those words made Grey’s lips tremble with saudade. No one had ever said that to her before. Not her mother. Not even her sister Loremark as affectionate as she was.

>I love you too, Ben.<

-

Greywind woke up.

Reaching for a control on her bedside table, Greywind clicked a button to switch the windows from opaque to transparent. Deinar’s dawn light illuminated the chamber. Greywind rolled onto her side to admire her soon to be adopted human son in Deinar’s rays.

“Ben, wake up.”

It took several nudges to wake him. Ben grumbled as he came to.

“Good morning,” he mumbled.

“Yes,” Greywind agreed. “The morning seems good. Did you sleep well?”

Ben nodded, rolling onto his side to face her. “Mhm.”

“So what did you dream about?”

Ben yawned. “I dreamt I was on Grind eating ice cream with a friend.”

“What friend?”

“Her name is Grey.”

“Who is Grey, Ben?”

“She looks like a loroi with a green suit. And… short grey hair.”

This was true. Greywind’s natural hair color started off as grey. It was not until Greywind’s promotion to Diaderet that she chose to undergo melanin treatment to make her hair violet. A color that emphasized power and nobility.

“Emperor? Can I ask you something?”

“Of course.”

“Are you and Grey… like sisters or something?”

Greywind kept her cool so as not to show her surprise. Did Ben suspect that the loroi he met in the dreamscape was her younger self? Surely not. “What makes you say that?”

Ben shrugged. “Your name is Greywind. And she’s called Grey. So… does that mean you know each other?”

Thinking back on what she had learnt about human dreams, Greywind came up with an answer. “Ben, you said Grey has grey hair.”

“Mhm.”

“What color is my hair?”

“Purple.”

“Does Grey look anything like me?”

Ben studied the Emperor’s face as he thought it over. He could see some resemblance, but Greywind was much much older. “Maybe just a little.”

“Since you see Grey in your dream, do you think she is real?”

“… No?”

“So… if Grey looks a bit different and is not real… do you think we are sisters?”

Ben quirked his lips in reflection. “Maybe… you’re imaginary sisters?”

Greywind sighed. “Stop being silly.”

Ben giggled, squirming closer to Greywind. He rested a hand in her open palm. Greywind placed her free hand on his shoulder. It felt good to have him close. Ben seemed unaware of Greywind’s delves into the dreamscape or the breach of his mind. While he likely regarded their dreams as mere products of his imagination, there was a chance he might start to question them as he got older. Especially as he learnt more about sanzai. Indeed it gave her pause for concern about Ben’s incentive to keep secrets. Sooner or later Ben would start to figure out that the abnormality of his encounters with Greywind in the dreamscape. Eventually Greywind might have to come clean with him if she was to retain his loyalty. But in the meantime Ben had to be dissuaded from pondering on the nature of his dreams. She would have to make arrangements with Cotton to oversee psychological evaluations to ensure Ben was oblivious.

Ben scooted closer. Greywind welcomed him into her embrace, holding him close as he wrapped his arms around her torso. She could not help but blush slightly as Ben’s breath touched her breastbone and neck, making her skin tingle. But the scent of his hair, like roasted nuts, entering her nostrils soothed her.

“Ben, I need to tell you something. Remember the rules we made back at the Monastery?”

Ben nodded. “Mhm.”

“Technically we are breaking them, Ben. And we should not. But I will make a new rule. When we are alone... this is acceptable. But when we are in public we cannot touch.”

“Why not?”

“Because, Ben… we… must do what is proper. So you must remember this. Very important.”

“Is hugging still okay?”

She sighed. “When we are alone, yes.”

“Okay, Emperor. I’m gonna’ be extra extra proper.”

“Good boy.”

A presence stood outside her chambers. >Emperor, it is morning,< sent Link.

>So it seems, Attendant.<

>May I be permitted entry to perform my routines?<

>Is there some urgency?<

Link was taken aback by such a question. >None that I am aware of.<

>Then come back in a while.<

Though bewildered by this interruption of protocol, Link complied and left.

Greywind wanted to stay in bed with Ben just for a bit longer. Holding and touching this little human was addictive.

Dangerously addictive.

The Emperor knew she should not be indulging in these powerful, alien feelings she experienced in the presence of this boy. But she wanted it. Greywind had given so much for the Union. Didn’t she deserve just a bit of happiness for herself? Plus in just a few days she would have to leave Deinar and Ben behind. Surely a little indulgence would do no harm.

As long as it does not compromise my duties, Greywind assured herself.
Last edited by Snoofman on Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Snoofman wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:55 pm
Author's note: this story is soon coming to an end. I'm planning maybe three or four more chapters. I never intended for it to be this long. Initially I was planning 10 to 15 chapters, but I just had to write. Once again thank you all readers for reading. And special thanks to you commenters whose criticism and praise has kept me motivated.

Wind and Fire - Chapter 29

-

Three days.

That is how long Grey sat in her cell after returning from their trials. The Elders, following an examination and inquiry of the rest of the diral, had learnt about Grey’s misdeed. To say they were appalled by the fact that Grey willingly placed a fellow diral member in danger was an understatement. And the rest of the diral was only too happy to point out Grey’s wrongdoings. Save for Cliff. Though she was far too meek to speak up in Grey’s defense, save for mentioning the fact that Grey saved her from the flames. Following the inquiry, it seemed to the Elders only fitting that Grey should be imprisoned before coming up with a suitable sentence. But not before shaving away what little hair she had grown during her time in the Perrein woods. Disgrace and demotion to civilian life did not seem to be enough. A few of the Elders had emphasized that point.

During her incarceration, no one had come to visit Grey. Not even Cliff. Just a guard that would come to replenish her food tray. Now Grey just waited for her inevitable sentence.

Grey was in for a surprise when a familiar presence entered her range of psyche. But didn’t feel any happier knowing who had come to visit her. The door to her cell slid open.

>Seal the door,< Rainlash commanded the guard as she entered.

The guard obliged. Mother and daughter were effectively alone.

Rainlash just stared. Stared with captious blue eyes down at her child. “Shame,” she muttered. “Shame you bring unto yourself. Unto our familial clan. I armed you with the best knowledge that others only wish they could have. And look what I got for it. Shame!”

Grey, with legs hugged to her chest, just lowered her head to her knees. >What are you doing here?< she sent bitterly.

“Look at me!” Rainlash commanded.

Grey refused. >Go away.<

Smack!

Grey glared daggers up at her mother as Rainlash smacked her across her bald head. Suddenly enraged, Grey launched herself at her mother. The elder, having decades of mastery, easily deflected Grey before pinning the initiate face first to the ground. Grey kicked and thrashed, futilely trying to break free of Rainlash’s left hand that pinned Grey’s lower neck to the floor, hurtfully locking Grey’s right arm with the other.

>I hate you!< Grey cried. >I hate you so much! You’ve never loved me! So why don’t you just stop tormenting me and go?!<

>Love?!< Rainlash scoffed, her grip as solid as iron. >Stupid girl! Love is a pleasant feeling. At best it makes us feel good. United. But it is not enough to make you a competent warrior. Much less a strong one. You are naive. Narrow-minded. Foolish. So was I when I was young like you. These things can be rectified. But your poorly executed plan and botched scheme? Now that complicates things. The one called Greenscale… her kin have learnt about your act and want you executed for it. By all rights I should disown you and abandon you to dhalid. <

>Then why don’t you?< Grey sneered, tensing as Rainlash applied more pressure. Grey suddenly lost control as she unleashed her power.

A stabbing shock to the skull forced Rainlash to release Grey. >So it is true. Your powers really have activated.<

Grey fought back the tears. She did not want to seem weak in front of Rainlash. Stars forbid her cruel mother should have that satisfaction. >Why won’t you just go?<

>Because you have something worth saving.<

Those words made Grey stop whimpering. >What?< Grey asked, turning over to look up at her mother.

>Your true Mizol strength has just surfaced,< sent Rainlash. >And that it should happen to one so young is remarkable. Even more astounding is that you seem unusually strong for a gifted Mizol. Such talents must not go to waste.<

Grey’s initial anger was replaced now by curiosity. >I’m… talented?<

>Yes,< Rainlash confirmed. >And should be put to good use. Stand, Grey!<

Grey did as instructed.

>Do you want a chance for redemption?<

>I…< Grey was caught off guard. >I do.<

>How far are you willing to go for our familial clan?<

>Any distance.<

>What are you willing to do for your honor?<

>Anything.<

>Then you will come with me, Grey. Our servants are in the process of moving our belongings for the long journey to Deinar.<

>Deinar?!< sent a surprised Grey. >We are moving to the Imperial Capital?!<

>The Emperor Eighth Dawn has granted me a transfer. It is a great opportunity for our family to work close with the ruling cabinet. Opportune also for you, who will need a fresh start. There you will initiate the next phase of your training. As will your newborn sister.<

Grey was shocked. >My training?! But the Elders-<

>I have persuaded the Elders to see your case from a different angle,< Rainlash interrupted. >What you did was unintelligibly shameful. But ultimately was merely to save your companion. Not driven by revenge against your Diral Chief or an ulterior motive to replace Greenscale. Had that been the case, you would have been deemed a liability. And the fact that you could influence your comrades so easily with your powers is quite astonishing. So a compromise has been reached. You will be placed on probation under the condition that you abide by warrior conduct and complete your training. If you succeed at the Mizol Academy, you will be granted a full pardon with your honor intact.<

Grey was going to the Mizol Academy? It seemed too good to be true and yet Grey felt no deception coming from her mother. >I… I will not fail.<

>Best you don’t, Grey. This is not an act of charity. You will prove your worth with diligence and cleverness. I will not forgive failure or misconduct a second time. And remember. You are no longer Grey. As an initiate who survived her trials, even in disgrace, you have earned your place in our familial clan. Therefore you have also won the honorable extension to your name. When you were born, I chose your name because your gray hair is what struck me as your most distinguishable feature.< Rainlash held up Grey’s chin, intensifying the bond between mother and daughter. >Now that your powers have awakened, I can see your semblance has changed. You no longer bear the dim glow of a common loroi. Your essence is like ash carried on the winds. Yet within that drifting ash are cinders waiting to erupt into flames of power. You are the shade that conceals the full force of its potential. This is a clever skill to catch your adversaries by surprise. An asset to a true Mizol.< Rainlash released Grey’s chin and spoke, “From this moment on you are called… Greywind.”

Grey complied, >I am ready.<

>Then come along.<

The guard returned to release them. Grey… no… Greywind obediently followed Rainlash to their new destination.

-

Grey expected to step into the hallway. Instead she stepped into somewhere quite out of place. She looked around at the shabby interior of a strange yet familiar room.

>What the- I’m back on Grind.<

She found Ben sitting at a table, eating from of bowl with something creamy and white.

The little boy took notice of her. “Grey!” he squeeled joyfully with a spoon in his mouth.

>Ben? What are you doing?< She took a seat by his side.

“Eating vanilla ice cream,” he said with a smile. “Mom brought it back from her trip.”

Grey cringed upon hearing the mention of Lagertha, but chose not to voice her opinion. >Where is she?<

Ben shrugged. “She had to go talk to Stephen. But she promised she’ll be back.” He took another mouthful of ice cream. “You want some?”

>What?<

“It’s really good.” He scooped up a bit of the white stuff and offered his spoon to her. “Try it.”

Grey eyed the alien goop suspiciously. >Ben, that seems kind but I’d rather not.<

Ben suddenly had a smug grin on his face. “Say ‘ah’.”

>Say what?<

“Ah!” Ben’s mouth gaped open.

Grey raised an eyebrow. “Ah?”

Ben launched his sneak attack as he plunged the spoon into Grey’s mouth. Grey cringed, seriously wanting to spit out the vile-

>Wait!<

A smooth sweetness melted over Grey’s tongue followed by a flavor that she never tasted before. Was this the genuine taste of ice cream? Or maybe Ben was unknowingly imprinting his pleasant memory of tasting ice cream. >Delicious!<

Ben smirked triumphantly, scooping up another spoon-full and ate. He stuck out a white-glazed tongue at Grey.

Grey did likewise, showing her own blue tongue painted over by white.

Ben giggled. “He he he! You’re funny.”

>You’re silly.<

Grey was caught off guard as Ben smeared a bit of ice cream on her nose and dashed from the table. Grey scoffed with a laugh as she dove after him, swooping up the squirming little squealer before setting him down on the room’s cot.

>Now you will be punished,< Grey said with a wicked grin, taking jabs at Ben’s sensitive ribs.

“No!” Ben cried out with a high-pitched laugh. “Ha ha!”

The two went back and forth in a competition of tickling and laughter. Grey was happy. For the first time she was truly happy. After exhausting themselves, Grey lay back on the cot. Ben lay on top of her, his ear to her chest.

“I can hear your heart.”

>Do you?<

“Mhm.” He wrapped his arms around her midsection.

Grey rubbed his golden hair. >I never want to lose you.<

“I love you, Grey.”

Those words made Grey’s lips tremble with saudade. No one had ever said that to her before. Not her mother. Not even her sister Loremark as affectionate as she was.

>I love you too, Ben.<

-

Greywind woke up.

Reaching for a control on her bedside table, Greywind clicked a button to switch the windows from opaque to transparent. Deinar’s dawn light illuminated the chamber. Greywind rolled onto her side to admire her soon to be adopted human son in Deinar’s rays.

“Ben, wake up.”

It took several nudges to wake him. Ben grumbled as he came to.

“Good morning,” he mumbled.

“Yes,” Greywind agreed. “The morning seems good. Did you sleep well?”

Ben nodded, rolling onto his side to face her. “Mhm.”

“So what did you dream about?”

Ben yawned. “I dreamt I was on Grind eating ice cream with a friend.”

“What friend?”

“Her name is Grey.”

“Who is Grey, Ben?”

“She looks like a loroi with a green suit. And… short grey hair.”

This was true. Greywind’s natural hair color started off as grey. It was not until Greywind’s promotion to Diaderet that she chose to undergo melanin treatment to make her hair violet. A color that emphasized power and nobility.

“Emperor? Can I ask you something?”

“Of course.”

“Are you and Grey… like sisters or something?”

Greywind kept her cool so as not to show her surprise. Did Ben suspect that the loroi he met in the dreamscape was her younger self? Surely not. “What makes you say that?”

Ben shrugged. “Your name is Greywind. And she’s called Grey. So… does that mean you know each other?”

Thinking back on what she had learnt about human dreams, Greywind came up with an answer. “Ben, you said Grey has grey hair.”

“Mhm.”

“What color is my hair?”

“Purple.”

“Does Grey look anything like me?”

Ben studied the Emperor’s face as he thought it over. He could see some resemblance, but Greywind was much much older. “Maybe just a little.”

“Since you see Grey in your dream, do you think she is real?”

“… No?”

“So… if Grey looks a bit different and is not real… do you think we are sisters?”

Ben quirked his lips in reflection. “Maybe… you’re imaginary sisters?”

Greywind sighed. “Stop being silly.”

Ben giggled, squirming closer to Greywind. He rested a hand in her open palm. Greywind placed her free hand on his shoulder. It felt good to have him close. Ben seemed unaware of Greywind’s delves into the dreamscape or the breach of his mind. While he likely regarded their dreams as mere products of his imagination, there was a chance he might start to question them as he got older. Especially as he learnt more about sanzai. Indeed it gave her pause for concern about Ben’s incentive to keep secrets. Sooner or later Ben would start to figure out that the abnormality of his encounters with Greywind in the dreamscape. Eventually Greywind might have to come clean with him if she was to retain his loyalty. But in the meantime Ben had to be dissuaded from pondering on the nature of his dreams. She would have to make arrangements with Cotton to oversee psychological evaluations to ensure Ben was oblivious.

Ben scooted closer. Greywind welcomed him into her embrace, holding him close as he wrapped his arms around her torso. She could not help but blush slightly as Ben’s breath touched her breastbone and neck, making her skin tingle. But the scent of his hair, like roasted nuts, entering her nostrils soothed her.

“Ben, I need to tell you something. Remember the rules we made back at the Monastery?”

Ben nodded. “Mhm.”

“Technically we are breaking them, Ben. And we should not. But I will make a new rule. When we are alone... this is acceptable. But when we are in public we cannot touch.”

“Why not?”

“Because, Ben… we… must do what is proper. So you must remember this. Very important.”

“Is hugging still okay?”

She sighed. “When we are alone, yes.”

“Okay, Emperor. I’m gonna’ be extra extra proper.”

“Good boy.”

A presence stood outside her chambers. >Emperor, it is morning,< sent Link.

>So it seems, Attendant.<

>May I be permitted entry to perform my routines?<

>Is there some urgency?<

Link was taken aback by such a question. >None that I am aware of.<

>Then come back in a while.<

Though bewildered by this interruption of protocol, Link complied and left.

Greywind wanted to stay in bed with Ben just for a bit longer. Holding and touching this little human was addictive.

Dangerously addictive.

The Emperor knew she should not be indulging in these powerful, alien feelings she experienced in the presence of this boy. But she wanted it. Greywind had given so much for the Union. Didn’t she deserve just a bit of happiness for herself? Plus in just a few days she would have to leave Deinar and Ben behind. Surely a little indulgence would do no harm.

As long as it does not compromise my duties, Greywind assured herself.

However cruel Rainslash was to Grey as a youth she still seems nicer than my abusive father.

Unlike him she at least has faith in her daughter and actually spends time with her to grow her potential.

I could only wish I had a father more like her.

Mine did not spend time with me and when he did he talked down to me or endangered me... even when trying to teach me about car work he waved an oil wand near my face nearly sprinkling car oil in my eye.

He had low patience so he would not have wanted to listen to or answer all my questions anyway.

Just do as your told and say nothing unless asked was the safest... albeit robotic course I could not abide by.

Instead I grew to question everything he said since I both wanted to learn and I did not really trust him fully since sometimes I learned advice he had given was flawed or harmful.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Bamax wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:27 pm

However cruel Rainslash was to Grey as a youth she still seems nicer than my abusive father.

Unlike him she at least has faith in her daughter and actually spends time with her to grow her potential.

I could only wish I had a father more like her.

Mine did not spend time with me and when he did he talked down to me or endangered me... even when trying to teach me about car work he waved an oil wand near my face nearly sprinkling car oil in my eye.

He had low patience so he would not have wanted to listen to or answer all my questions anyway.

Just do as your told and say nothing unless asked was the safest... albeit robotic course I could not abide by.

Instead I grew to question everything he said since I both wanted to learn and I did not really trust him fully since sometimes I learned advice he had given was flawed or harmful.
Dude that’s fucked up. At least you turned out okay. No one should have to go through that shit. It hurts when the people who are supposed to love us hurt us for no good reason.

My own father was not abusive, but he was insecure and terribly narcissistic. All he ever harped about was how great he was, how superior his home country Germany was and how inferior Americans were, even though he made his home here and assimilated into American society. The biggest problem of all was, while not a Nazi, he was a Hitler sympathizer. And an in the closet anti-Semite and in the closet racist. Which was hypocrisy considering that, as a former jeweler, many of his clients were Jews and that African Americans were the caretakers watching over his mentally handicapped son, my brother.

And he nearly convinced me of it and turned me into one too. I idolized him up until my youn adult years when he had a mental meltdown and tried to belittle me. But no effing way I was going to take it. Glad to say I did not allow his poison to turn me into a racist or anti-Semite.

The biggest betrayal of all was how he ‘borrowed’ at least 80 percent of all my savings. And never paid back a single penny. He boasted constantly about how we were going to start a business together… and he didn’t teach me jackshit about how to start or run a business.

I have learnt to forgive my dad and won’t deny that he loved and supported his children. But I learnt that putting up with shit is the worst way to live. You are no one’s scapegoat. You are no one’s simp. You are not built for martyrdom. You are not a subject to tyranny. You are a person. You are worth something.

So stand up and say, “NO!”