Wind and Fire

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Snoofman

Re: Wind and Fire

Post by Snoofman »

Author's note: For those of you wondering, Wolf329 has graciously offered to do some illustrations for the fanfic. For which I am very flattered and thankful. Thank you again, Wolf329. I hope you will continue to draw, paint and sharpen your craft. And thanks again to all the readers and commenters. Your criticism helps me to improve. Your genuine praise keeps me motivated. You rock!

Second note: Instead of 'memory suppression', Greywind intends to implement 'memory editing' and use telepathic 'suggestion' to win Ben's compliance. You'll see eventually how this plays out. So Cotton, therefore, is not prohibited from sharing details about Lagertha or Grind, but is still discouraged.

Wind and Fire - Chapter 22

-

While Greywind’s ruling cabinet seized many assets across the Union during the Great War, some assets were impossible to liquidate. Aside from acquiring monetary Talents, bank accounts or raw materials, which were relatively easy to incorporate into the military budget, other assets like corporate shareholding portfolios, entire companies or even private properties were trickier for the warrior’s to utilize. How were warriors supposed to manage civilian companies whose leaders had just been removed or arrested? Who was going to take care of billions of workers, alien and loroi? What were the warriors supposed to do with miles of storage houses, some of which had outdated equipment? There were companies whose capital was primarily invested in production machinery or manufacturing plants that even Gallens could not dismantle and strip for parts. Plus how would production lines at these factories be managed? The Imperial State also found itself owning vast tracks of land confiscated on hundreds of Sister Worlds and Colonies, but had no idea what to do with it.

To solve this problem, Greywind arranged for the Intelligence Community to promote civilians into management positions provided they were docile enough to obey new martial regulations and meet quotas. Many of these civilians were inferior employees already working for these companies but ignorant of their former Seinens’ illegal trades. While it had been suggested that high-ranking warriors should organize and lead the civilians, Greywind understood that the stigma isolating warriors from civlilians would only serve to escalate tensions and hinder production. Something the Union could not afford during the Great War. Civilians were better suited to manage their own lot, but would do so under the Mizols’ scrutiny. It also gave Greywind the justification she and her cabinet needed to recruit more Mizols and expand the Intelligence Community's influence. Thus giving the Emperor and her comrades the oversight they needed to maintain their control of the Union. Something that did not sit well with many Traditionalists or loroi opposed to giving the Empire more centralized control.

Among the civilians’ unconvertible assets was the Ginazaigo West Isle, which Greywind happened upon while reviewing the lengthy list of items now in the Imperial State’s possession. The Ginazaigo West Isle (or the Island as Greywind simply referred to it) originally belonged to an exclusively, rich civilian family with numerous business ties, including weapons dealing. Upon discovering the familial Guild’s involvement in war profiteering with the Umiak Hierarchy and other criminal elements, Mizol Intelligence Officers were eager to prosecute the Guild. Were it not for the familial Guild’s connections with certain Torrais, they would have lost everything and faced imprisonment. Possibly even execution. Instead a compromise was made in which the Guild gave up all its trading records and client names to aid the Mizols’ investigations against illegal commerce. And relinquished ownership of half its assets. Including the Island.

The weather of the West Isle was pleasantly cool and nearly consistent all year round, save for the occasional heat wave brought on every summer. Even for someone of Perrein heritage, it suited Greywind just fine. The Island’s green plateaus and flowery fields were picturesque, thanks in part to the mineral rich soil provided by a dormant volcano sitting at the Island’s center, which had seen its last eruption approximately two million years ago. Home also to flocks of birds that migrated across the sea to nest, herds of miros grazing the grassy landscape and marine-dwelling pleisos resting on the sandy shores.

Situated near the northwest of the Island was the Mansion, also relinquished by its former owners, now serving as a creche for currently one-hundred-twenty children. Many of whom were Greywind’s direct descendents, blood kin and a few loroi adopted into the Fourth Emperor’s familial clan. The creche could accommodate well up to two-hundred children, but in peace times this seemed hardly necessary. While Greywind had more relatives scattered across the Union, creches like this one were founded to provide Greywind’s children with the best upbringing and education. This particular creche was one of Greywind’s favorites since it also served as a holiday retreat for the Emperor’s familial members. The perfect place to host family reunions.

The children of Ginazaigo's West Isle had a paradise and privileges that many did not, though were still too young and spoiled to fully appreciate it. That seemed pretty clear to a couple of children being led through the corridors.
every-warrior-final-b.png
every-warrior-final-b.png (128.77 KiB) Viewed 177490 times
>Reading is so boring,< a little Loroi named Quill sent. She and eleven other children of similar age had just left a class early at their teacher’s instruction and were heading for the Gardens.

>Yes,< another child by the name of Softwood sent. >And so is writing.<

>Children, do not disrespect reading and writing,< their caregiver and teacher, Black Mark, sent mildly offended as she led the small mob of young ones.

>But it is so hard,< Softwood grumbled.

>Learning is hard, Softwood,< sent Black Mark. >Because it is work. But work is worth the reward.<

>I hate work,< Rune sent defiantly. >And I still hate writing.<

>Rune!< Black Mark mildly took offense at that. >I am surprised with you. I seem to remember you sketching marks in just your first tozon.<

>I just like to draw stuff,< sent Rune. >Not write!<

>Well, writing is like drawing,< sent Black Mark. >Except it is drawing in which you have to follow rules so that everyone understands what the drawer (or writer rather) is trying to tell the readers.<

>It is still boring,< Quill sent defiantly, as was typical of a two-year old.

>Boring or not, it is a skill you will still need,< sent Black Mark.

>But why do warriors need to read and write?< sent Softwood. >We just need to know how to fight.<

>There is more to being a warrior than just fighting,< sent Black Mark. >When you are injured in battle, how will you understand the instruction manual of a medical kit? How will you know which buttons to press on holopanels when you are required to operate a cruiser? What will you say to your superiors when they demand documentation?<

>Doc-what?< asked Quill.

>Material that provides information that serves as a record.<

The children turned up confused eyebrows at the definition.

Black Mark sighed. Being a scholar for children was challenging. >In simple terms, it is stuff you write down so that it will always be there in case you forget it.<

>Oh!< the little ones responded in unison as it finally sunk in.

>I guess that is important,< Quill concluded.

>I still don’t understand why we need to learn such boring stuff,< sent Rune. >If it’s so important, why not make Listels remember all of it? They love remembering everything.<

>Listels are not always available, Rune,< Black Mark pointed out. >What we teach you children here will be necessary for your trials. Otherwise how will you ever hope to become warriors?<

>But you are not a warrior, Teacher,< sent Rune.

Black Mark was silent a moment as she digested Rune’s message. It was not sent with the intention to slight or discriminate. It was simply a statement of fact. A fact that sometimes bothered Black Mark, but one she had come to accept humbly after decades of civilian life.

>Yes, that is true,< sent Black Mark, gripping the front flaps of her open robe. >But that did not stop me from pursuing other talents. When I failed my trials many decades ago, I was certain my life was finished. I found myself working at a a library in Rogoth as a mere cleaner. Believe me, children! I was just like you; with a passionate disinterest for the written word. But do you know what is more boring than reading and writing? Scrubbing and polishing. When that mundane routine seems to become your life, you become restless. You need something else to occupy your interest and sharpen your mind. So, in my spare time, I would look through the books of the library and, slowly but surely, found that books and documents were truly fascinating. And, as a consequence, not only did my literary skills improve. I became better acquainted with the vast archives. The more I read, the more I could build ideas in my head.<

The children snickered at the unintentional joke. >Build ideas in your head!< Softwood giggled. >That’s funny!<

>I am being serious,< Black Mark sent. >I am not even a Listel, and yet I became skilled in writing and scholarly studies because it became the object of my focus. So well that the Scribes of the Rogoth Libraries decided to first give me menial tasks of copying documents and books. Proofreading digital archives. My knowledge eventually caught the attention of the Toridas Chroniclers who required someone to commit their memories and vast knowledge to written word. Every now and then, civilians would approach me to improve their own reading and writing skills. Even warriors soon followed shortly thereafter. Which is how I was eventually noticed by the Mizols sent by the Fourth Emperor Greywind who hired me to be a caregiver-<

>Teacher, your story is making me bored,< Rune sent abruptly.

The other children agreed. Black Mark groaned through sealed lips. Often she did not know what seemed more challenging: engraining discipline in these children or trying to cultivate their interest.

Overlooking Rune’s insensitive comment, Black Mark wrapped up her monologue, >My point is this: I may have failed to become a warrior, but by studying something of interest, I developed a skill that is sought after. Listels may be able to remember everything, but when they are not available, what then? Books and archives are the knowledge that we can fall back on. We read to understand. And write what we know so that others may understand.<

>I don’t understand,< Rune sent bluntly. As hasty as a loroi child’s capacity to learn was, it was still hard for their infantile minds to appreciate literature.

Black Mark sighed, mildly frustrated. >I know,< she sent. >I do not hold it against you if you do not like the subject. All I expect is that you try to learn. After all, do you think warriors succeed if they do not try?<

>No,< the little ones sent in unison.

>So will you try to learn then?<

>Yes,< the children sent back in unison. Though a few deviants replied, >Maybe.<

I guess that’s as good as it gets, thought Black Mark. As troublesome as children could be, she truly felt honored and privileged to be able to teach the children of the Emperor’s kin. And was generously paid for her talents. Another perk of working at this creche was residing at the Mansion itself.

The Mansion was a vastly large place of several buildings bearing a fusion of geometric and organic designs. Giving it a remarkable resemblance to a small village. Some buildings blended into the surrounding environment of natural rock formations and grassy terrains, becoming a part of the landscape. Many of the Mansion’s corridors and trails were designed to offer walkers sublime scenery, either with mural walls depicting ancient loroi or entropic moss that covered a few halls.

The mob of children led by Black Mark passed through the Gardens, heading straight into the Arena along with the dozens of the other children accompanied by their respective teachers and caregivers. Only the infants were absent, since they were still far too young to partake in these events. The Arena itself was a recent installation to encourage the young ones’ athletic and combat skills. Apart from physical training, the Arena could be used for a number of other functions, such as hosting festivities and competitions. The Arena itself was open-sided, consisting of a round poured rubber floor beneath an inverted dome made from high tensile strength materials. Twelve curvilinear pylons sitting along the dome’s edge suspended the inverted dome roof. At the roof’s center was a circular opening where the midday sun’s light poured into the Arena’s center point.
creche-arena.png
creche-arena.png (124.13 KiB) Viewed 177490 times
The adults passed out floor cushions from nearby storage to the children, who assisted in arranging a half circular seating within the Arena. Taller children were expected to sit in the outer most seats to allow the smaller ones a better view of whatever was about to happen. Taking their seats, the children looked around at their fellow peers, all of various ages and heights. All training at various levels within the creche. The Arena was buzzing with telepathic chatter. Each loroi youth as curious and uninformed as the peer right next to her.

>Why have lectures been cut early?<

>What are we doing here?<

>The Emperor has come to visit!<

>I wonder if the caregivers know something we don’t.<

>Maybe the Elders have come to test us?<

>I heard we have special guests.<

>Aliens are here!<

>Who wants to meet aliens? When are they going to bring some menfolk around?<

>I’m bored.<

>Why do we have to be here?<

>I have so much studying to do!<

>When do we play games?<

>I’m hungry!<

Quill, having trained sufficiently to block out the broadcast of sanzai chatter, honed in on her teacher and asked, >Teacher, why are we all here in the Arena?<

>I told you. Because the Emperor and many important Elders have come to visit,< Black Mark replied.

>But why?<

>I don’t know.< Black Mark truly had no idea. >Maybe they have special news to share with us.<

>I’ve heard and seen sanzai imagery of aliens,< Softwood chimed in. >Are aliens really here?!<

>From what I’ve understood, yes,< Black Mark sent back. Indeed some of the Soroins had ‘told’ her the news, rather than send it. Which struck Black Mark as mildly suspicious, but who was she to question?

>Oh, I’ve never seen an alien before,< Rune sent, hopping excitedly from her perch. >I want to see one!<

>Easy, Rune,< Black Mark tried to calm her down. >And straighten your shawl!< She reached over to pull the longer end of Rune’s shawl over the girl's left side. While many coast dwelling Deinars traditionally wore shawls for protection against the brutal winds, the children’s asymmetrical shawls were more ceremonial than functional.

A Soroin hollered, “All rise!”

The telepathic prattle died down as the children rose from their seats. The Soroin verbally called for silence as a few more children gossiped amongst each other.

“Silence!” The Soroin called out once more. “Stand at attention! Entering now the fourth elected ruler of the Loroi Union. Her Highness, Torrai Azerein Greywind, her honorable Chiefs of Staff and the Ambassadors of the Alien Assembly.”

Backs stood straight. Arms pressed into sides. Young minds burned with an aura of fearful reverence as an intimidating presence entered. Gazes fell onto the authoritative loroi whose crown gleamed like a four-pronged star. A queue of high-ranking Chiefs and five aliens followed after.

Greywind silently eyed the crowd of children and caregivers before sending, >Greetings, my children.<

Remembering their drilled formalities, the crowd of young and old sent back with respect, >Greetings, Emperor.<

>I see some new faces here,< Greywind sent pleasantly. >And it is nice to see some familiar ones. You have grown up so quickly. Speaking of familiar people, you seem to remember our old friends, the ambassadors.< She turned to the four aliens. “Honorable ambassadors, you remember the loroi children here during our visit last tozon. Do you not?”

Taking the cue, Ziga spoke up, “Indeed we do, your highness. Greetings, little sisters! It is good to meet you all again.”

In awkward fashion, the mob of children replied slowly, “Hello, Ambassador Ziga.”

The other four ambassadors stepped forward to offer formal greetings as well. While loroi did not typically seek out the company of aliens, the Emperor convinced the ambassadors that it would be beneficial for the children of her familial clan to get some alien exposure during her yearly visits to Deinar and this creche. As a way to teach loroi children from a young age that these aliens were representatives of the peoples whom the loroi were sworn to protect. And to ease the tensions that had stained the relations between the Union races during the course of the Great War. To ensure that the children of this creche showed nothing but benevolence for their alien allies, Greywind had instructed the caregivers to stomp out any sign of racial prejudice. While Greywind did not actively advocate for racial equality like the Barsam Church or the Universalists, she understood that allowing racism and prejudice would fester interspecies relations. The loroi needed aliens to trust them again.

The Diaderets came forward as well to offer salutations before moving to the side along with the ambassadors.

>You may be seated,< Greywind sent out to her children. The young ones sat back down, eyes trained on the Emperor. >You all seem surprised that I and my compatriots have arrived unannounced. Indeed, Housemaster Crescent was assuring me upon arrival that she would have prepared a proper welcoming ceremony had she been aware. Make no mistake; such a ceremony is not unwelcome. But I would rather see this creche as it behaves in actuality. Not as what others want me to see. And while I am pleased with this creche’s progress, improvements are still needed. Among these is speaking. For you see, your vocal communication will soon become more important than ever. Because this creche has been chosen to host a unique project. And today we have a very special guest. And I expect all of you to show him courtesy and kindness.<

>Him?< the children seemed to think collectively.

Small clusters of telepathic chatter popped throughout the mob of children. The atmosphere filled with waves of curiosity and excitement. A few even inquired of the caregivers who were just as clueless.

-

As amazing as the loroi people were, Ben found their silent “sanzai” language to be astoundingly unnerving. It just felt weird to watch people that stared at each other but did not talk. He remembered the thousands of people who lived on Grind and how loud they could be when gathered in large masses. When Ben met the hundreds of males living at the Toridas Monastery or toured the busy streets of Toridas, the loroi were unusually quiet. Except for the occasional grunt or cough. It was equally weird to be waiting outside the Arena, listening to a lot of aliens say… well, practically not much. Also weird that he and Cotton had been forced to wait in hiding in the Garden for a while now. Had it been an hour already? The longer they waited, the more anxious Ben got.

“Ben,” Cotton said, standing beside him. “It is almost time. Are you ready?”

“Cotton, I’m nervous,” Ben said, fidgeting nervously. “What if they don’t like me?”

“Nonsense!” said Cotton. “What loroi could not like a handsome, little male?”

Ben was not entirely sure.

“Ben, I promise it will be fine.” Cotton knelt down, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. Touching did not seem like such a taboo for Cotton now. At least when it came to Ben. “Now do you remember the greeting we talked about?”

Ben nodded.

“And in what language, Ben?”

“In Trade.”

“Very good.”

Cotton received a beep on her wrist-comm. It was time.

Cotton stood straight and formal. “Now we enter, Ben. Ready?”

Ben nodded, rubbing his forearms anxiously.

“Keep your arms at your sides,” Cotton instructed. “Stand straight. And… march!”

Ben marched with stiff arms and legs, walking proudly like a toy soldier.

“Ben, not like that!” Cotton snapped as they rounded one of the tall pylons. “It looks silly. Just… just walk as you usually do.”

-

“And here he comes,” Greywind said as well as sent to the crowd.

The loroi children’s curiosity peaked as they peered past the Emperor, catching sight of two individuals that just entered through the pylons. It was a loroi Listel who seemed to be escorting-

>Is that a male?!< one of the older girls blurted out with pleasant surprise.

A few children, particularly the eldest, rose excitedly from their seats, straining to get a look at the approaching male. Many of the older girls nearing puberty suddenly had hopeful grins, suspecting that their elders were about to give them a special ‘treat’. Grins grew wider and blood pumped as the little male came closer. He was tiny. He was clad in white, black and gold. He was handsome. And he was…

…not loroi.

At least it looked like a loroi. But clearly was not. In place of blue skin was a hide of pale pink. Where beautiful, pointed ears should have been were oval-shaped lugs. And most disconcerting of all was the closer the loroi-thing came toward the children, the more the girls realized something terribly wrong; the loroi-thing seemed to have absolutely no detectable presence. It was telepathically invisible. Hopeful grins subsided. Girls rubbed eyes to ensure they were not seeing an illusion. The children sitting closest to the action shifted in their seats uncomfortably as the loroi-thing and its loroi escort came closer, stopping by the Emperor’s side.

Most of the children had absolutely no clue what sort of creature just entered the Arena. Though one of the eldest girls sent out with a sudden realization, >Is that a human?<

>As a matter of fact it is,< Greywind confirmed.

Waves of gossip and anxious chatter washed over the mob of children. The older children had been formerly taught about humanity, but not one of them had ever seen a living human before.

Greywind sent what she spoke, “My children… allow me to present Ben.”

One girl unexpectedly shot up from the crowd and shouted in Trade, “It’s a freak!”

>Sit down and be silent!< Greywind barked.

The young one immediately did as she was told. Greywind sighed. This was not quite the response she was hoping for. And also noticed Ben nervously fidgeting.

Ben himself was indeed nervous. And yet curious at all the dozens of young, blue faces. All of whom were staring intently at him. He slouched slightly, tucking his arms into his chest, afraid that maybe these loroi did not like him.

“Ben,” Greywind called out to him. “Introduce yourself to the loroi here.”

Looking over at Cotton, who offered an affirming, “Just like I taught you,” Ben tentatively stepped toward the mob of children. The little ones seated closest apprehensively scooted away from Ben. It felt disheartening to be looked upon with such fear, but Ben did not give up.

Lowering arms to his sides, Ben timidly began in Trade, “Um, h-hello. M-m-my name… is Ben.”

A few of the girls leaned forward slightly.

>What is it saying?< one girl sent out.

>It’s too quiet.<

>I can’t hear it.<

>Why doesn’t it send sanzai?<

“Ben,” Cotton whispered as she knelt beside him. “They cannot hear you. Speak louder!”

Taking a deep breath, Ben shouted out to the crowd, “HELLO!”

Loroi jumped in their seats, arms held up defensively at the sudden outburst from the loroi-thing.

“No!” Cotton urged Ben. “Not that loud, Ben. Try again a bit quieter.”

Ben sighed and tried at a moderate volume this time. “Hello. My name… is Ben. And I am… pleased… to meet you all. I… hope… we can be… friends.”

The caregivers relayed Ben’s message to the children who had more difficulty with the spoken Trade. While the children were still on edge, they were a little more at ease knowing the loroi-thing called Ben did not seem harmful.

Greywind watched a bit apprehensively. The children needed a bit of encouragement. Noticing three nearby children eyeing Ben, Greywind sent out and spoke, “You three!”

The three girls looked up at their Emperor.

“What are your names?”

They sent back, >Quill, my Elder.<

>Softwood.<

>Rune.<

Greywind continued her dual communication, “Yes, I remember you three now. You were all so tiny when I first met you last tozon, but have grown so quickly.”

The trio grinned bashfully at the praise.

“I want you three to come forward,” said Greywind. “Say hello to Ben.”

>Us?!< Quill sent shocked, unsure about getting close to the Loroi-thing. >We- I- can someone else do it?!<

>I am not asking,< Greywind sent deadly serious. “Come forward and say hello to our guest.”

The stupefied Loroi looked up at Black Mark, hoping she would interject on their behalf.

Black Mark just stared back at them. >Don’t look to me for help, children. Your Emperor gave you a command.<

>So,< sent Softwood. >what should we do?<

Black Mark grinned wryly. >You better do what she tells you.<

Taking a courageous gulp, the three girls stood up and slowly approached Ben. Ben froze anxiously as the three loroi of similar stature came closer, folding his arms in around his chest. For a few moments the three loroi and one human just eyed each other down.

>So, what now?< sent Softwood.

>Maybe we say hello,< Rune answered.

>But who goes first?<

>I will,< sent Quill. Focusing her eyes on the little human, Quill sent out, >Greetings, loroi-alien-male-thingy!<

No response.

>I repeat,< Quill sent again, focusing intently as she put her fingers to her temples. >I want to converse. Answer!< Still no response. >Please?<

>Humans cannot receive or send sanzai, Quill,< sent Cotton. >You must speak with him.<

>Speak?!< Quill sent stunned. >But I don’t know how to speak.<

>Well we all have to start at some point. So you best start trying now.<

Softwood, growing restless, stepped up to Ben. Mustering up her courage, she awkwardly uttered, “H-h-h… h-hay… hay… hay…l-l-l…l-low…”

“What?” said Ben.

“H-h-hay-low-ow-ow.”

“Huh?”

“Ben,” said Cotton. “She is trying to say, ‘hello’.”

“Oh!” Deciding to take a chance to reach out, Ben threw forth his left hand. Or should he have used the right? No, he would stick with the left. “Nice to meet you.”

Softwood eyed the alien hand curiously. Did he want something from her? Maybe the Ben-creature was marking territory by signaling others to keep distance from him.

>It is a humanity greeting custom,< Listel Cotton sent Softwood. >Humans grasp hands with each other to show comradeship and establish trust.<

>Oh!< Delicately, Softwood encircled her blue hands around Ben’s pink hand. And gasped at the sudden warmth of his skin and the lack of presence. Like she were touching the hand of a mystical creature from the Chaos Legends. >Weird!< she sent out astounded.

Seeing no apparent harm, Rune held her hands behind her back and waddled up alongside Ben to get a better look at the human. All of him. Blond hair. Pale, pink skin. Blue eyes. And were those freckles dotting the bridge of his nose and cheeks?
bens-new-friends-final-b.png
bens-new-friends-final-b.png (164.43 KiB) Viewed 177490 times
Taking notice of Rune, Ben took his hand back from Softwood and offered it to Rune with a smile. “Nice to meet you.”

Rune returned the gesture with an even bigger smile and grasped his hand, equally astonished at the warmth and lack of sanzai presence.

>Rune,< one of the children called out. >Is it safe? What is it like? Can you sense the human?<

>No,< sent Rune, still holding Ben’s hand. >But he’s really warm. And seems friendly.<

The rest of the girls slowly approached, fear overcome by interest. Each wanting to get a better look at this outsider. Soon Ben found himself surrounded and shaking hands with dozens of blue-skinned girls, each wanting to get a feel of him. He beamed with a joyful smile. These loroi children seemed quite nice.

Cotton sighed with relief, pleased that Ben seemed to be making friends quite quickly.

Yes, we seem to be making progress, the old Emperor thought with hands on her hips.

The caregivers and guards of the creche observed, clearly conflicted about this situation. The newcomer’s presence left them on edge, but seeing no danger, let the children have their fun. Even the alien ambassadors were mildly fascinated by the spectacle.

Ziga momentarily forgot about his concern for Ben’s safety. To see aliens reach out to each other driven by curiosity and compassion was the goal of the Barsam’s faith.

“Now this is what I call true communion,” the Barsam said happily.

“Well, they seem to like the little savage,” snorted Dermo.

“Indeed,” Lodestone agreed. She and the Diaderets had had their doubts, but things seemed to be going well. >Perhaps adopting the little human will work out after all,< a grinning Lodestone sent to her fellow Councilors.

Brightsword just watched unimpressed with arms crossed. >I give it a month before the little ones start tearing him apart.<

Lodestone lifted a confused eyebrow. >Tear him apart?<

>Because they’ll all be clambering to get a piece of him.<
Last edited by Snoofman on Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:38 pm, edited 13 times in total.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

Ack, if I knew you were going to use a picture of the arena, I would have drawn a less sketchy/technical one! It still works though, no worries. I'll get started on the next chapter's art right quick.

The confusion and uncanny-valley-esque reaction of slight disgust from the kids was perfect, imo.
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

wolf329 wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:33 pm
Ack, if I knew you were going to use a picture of the arena, I would have drawn a less sketchy/technical one! It still works though, no worries. I'll get started on the next chapter's art right quick.

The confusion and uncanny-valley-esque reaction of slight disgust from the kids was perfect, imo.
Sorry for not saying dude. I’ll be sure to say so next time.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Oh good, it turned out to be wholesome. The Loroi children accepted him.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

SpoilerShow
just two minor observations:
Snoofman wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:03 pm
Wind and Fire - Chapter 20

[...]

“Dermo, do you not consider it odd that, following Ben’s rescue, the Emperor suddenly decides to change coarse course to Deinar?”

[...]

>It is not an injury,< Darkside defended. >Memory editing is not an injury. Memory editing merely convinces a target to overlook details or be convinced of things that are not there. And 'power of suggestion' is merely a Mizol's way of more directly making a subject compliant. According to the Emperor, Ben has seems seems to be distressed over his abandonment. So why not alleviate the human of his troubles by convincing it that its mother simply abandoned it? On top of that it would incline the human more to obey its new caregivers.<

[...]
Do as you see fit, especially the second one has other possibilities to change the odd sentence structure.
Interesting how they still see Ben as "genderless" and always refer to Ben as "it".
Nice touch.
(Although in the cited paragraph Darkside uses both... "his troubles" and "convincing it that its mother [...] abandoned it" in the same sentence...)

still catching up on the story. I like where this is going and how the internal logic remains strong.
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Observant as always. Thanks Krulle for the corrections. Glad you enjoy it.

I also corrected Darkside's grammar. I leave it to the reader to decide how the loroi regard Ben. But there might be upcoming scenes where the loroi are switching between referring to Ben as 'it' or 'he' because they either have a hard time deciding how to regard Ben. Since sanzai is direct and truthful, the loroi are fluctuating between how they see Ben as an inferior/equal, or whether they should treat Ben as an alien/male.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

SpoilerShow
Snoofman wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:59 pm
[...]

Black Mark sighed, mildly frustrated. >I know,< she sent. >I do not hold it against you if you do not like the subject. All I expect is that you try to learn. After all, do you think warriors succeed if they do not try?<

[...]
Wonderful chapter, and the art of Wolf is a wonderful addition!

Thank you, Wolf, and Snoofman!

Also finally caught up.
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Wind and Fire - Chapter 23

-

Rune wandered in the dark, her hands stretched out before her as she took tentative steps. The only visible thing in this darkness was the hazy blue ghosts roving around her.

>Can you sense anything?< one of the blue ghosts sent out.

>Nothing,< another broadcasted.

>This is so scary!<

>What if it comes out-<

>OUCH!<

>What?!< Rune sent out concerned to one of the ghosts that collapsed. >What happened?!<

Quill, who had called out in distress, sent back, >I think I bumped into a tree.<

The young mob of loroi groaned with frustration. For many solons they roamed through the dark looking for their target. But it eluded their search, taunting them with probing attacks coming in the form of tiny prods and swift skims against-

Rustle!

Rune’s attention was drawn to the susurration of branches on her left. Although it could have just been the wind.

Click! Click!

Rune knew that that must have been her target since trees and wind did not click.

Click! Click!

A shiver ran down her spine as the clicking reminded her of the elders’ stories of the clicky-clicks that Shells made. But Rune was not about to give in to fear. With a deep inhalation of courage and arms outstretched, Rune swiftly waddled after the clicks. Barely avoiding running into a tree herself, Rune stepped around the trunk when she heard footsteps on the other side. But was disappointed when the source of the clicks was not there.

>This is ridiculous,< Rune thought aloud. >How are we supposed to find something that we can’t even-<

“Poke!”

A quick jab to Rune’s ribs sent an electric shock up her spine as she screeched out, “YYEEEEEE!”

Ben barely held in his snickering. It was funny how easy it was to lure these loroi girls whenever he clicked his tongue or rambled some bushes. Even funnier how they nearly jumped out of their skin every time he gave the blindfolded seekers a little poke or brushed right past them.

Upon hearing Rune’s yelp, the other nine blindfolded girls honed in on her position, fumbling desperately for the invisible, little boy.

Holding in his laughter, Ben dashed in between two loroi, narrowly missing one’s grip. The other jumped with a shriek as Ben brushed right past her.

>Stars! He just bumped into me!< one sent with playful fright.

>Missed him again, losers!< A girl from the sidelines hollered, inciting laughter from the dozens of other young spectators. While prohibited from interfering with the game, that did not stop them from teasing the less-than-successful players.

Rune groaned, clearly aggravated. >This is pathetic,< she pouted, ripping off her blindfold. >I’m going for him!<

>Fowl!< Black Mark called out, assuming the role of referee. >Rune, you are committing fowl! Put your blindfold back on.<

>I don’t care,< she stubbornly sent back, locking eyes onto a certain little human. >He’s over here,< she sent to her little friends.

Ben’s smug grin fell as soon as she saw Rune coming at him full throttle with raging eyes locked on him. “Hey!” He shouted to Rune, “No blindfold! No fair!”

Without time to dodge, Ben was tackled to the ground by Rune. Ben squealed as the rest of the loroi girls dogpiled onto him.

“No!” Ben cried as a pair of blue fingers jabbed into his ribs. “I’m ticklish there! Cut it out!”

>I think that makes him laugh,< sent Rune.

>I think so too,< Quill sent with a wicked grin. >Get him!<

“Stop!” Ben pleaded amidst uncontrolled laughter as the girls tortured him with tickling prods and pokes. He laughed so hard that he nearly lost his breath. The spectators laughed too.

>Alright,< sent Black Mark, rushing over to disband the mob of ticklers. >That’s enough. Let him breath.<

The little ones allowed their new alien friend a chance to recuperate. Ben sat up, breathing heavily with a tired smile.

“Come,” Black Mark sent as well as spoke. “That last round does not count since Rune removed her blindfold.”

“This is fun,” Ben heaved as he climbed back to his feet, ready for another round.

After his introductions in the Arena, the assembly moved out into the Gardens to commence games. Games were a common activity amidst loroi whenever family or elders came to visit. Many loroi adults enjoyed the leisure of watching their children play, especially since Union duty often kept family members apart. It also gave elders an opportunity to observe and evaluate their child’s physical performance and how well children got along with their peers. In these organized events, children usually played in the order of games fitting for each age. Children would start off with their games until the adults called for older youth to show off their skills in more serious competitions. Among these games was ‘Wayfinder’, in which players would be blindfolded and guided along telepathically by their peers. An enjoyable game that sharpened children’s communication skills and comprehension. ‘Wayfinder’ could be played in a number of ways, such as guiding players through obstacle courses or finding lost objects.

The older children sat on the sidelines along with the adults as they watched the little ones wander through the Gardens. Ben had also been watching from the sidelines until the question fell to him what game the girls should try next. The first game that came to mind was Hide-And-Seek. Cotton, familiar with this human game, knew that Hide-And-Seek would be fruitless to loroi since they could detect each other’s presence. But Ben’s lotai gave her an idea for a new form of ‘Wayfinder’. New rules were set for the blindfolded players to find Ben. Without a detectable presence, the girls were forced to rely on their senses (save for sight) to locate him. Ben proved a formidable runagate.

The Emperor, her Chiefs and the Ambassadors watched also from the sidelines, enjoying brewed noillir, tea and refreshments. While the Ambassadors seemed to find loroi children’s games to be mildly entertaining, the aliens could not appreciate it as much as Greywind and her Chiefs. While they did not voice their thoughts having understood Greywind’s instructions, the Chiefs (or most of them) found Ben’s ability to elude capture and sneak past the girls amusing. And very practical.

Avoiding broadcasting their thoughts, Lodestone leaned over and whispered to her cousin, “He is a sneaky one, Greywind. Perhaps this human may be useful to us eventually.”

“I do not fault you for doubting, Lodestone,” Greywind whispered back. “So long as you keep faith in me.”

“Little human is clever,” said an amused Darkside out loud.

“Not that clever,” Brightsword snorted, taking a sip of noillir. “Any child can learn to sneak around.”

“Why so bitter, Brightsword?” asked Spirit of Fire. “Give the little human some credit.”

“I’ll give it credit when the human actually achieves something worthy of attention,” said Brightsword, gulping down the rest of her noillir.

While the Ambassadors had no idea what the loroi were really referring to, they offered their own comments.

“It is quite a relief that the loroi children seem to enjoy Ben’s presence as well,” said Ziga to the assembled loroi and aliens. “Indeed, it gives hope for future prospects between the Terrans and the Union.”

“I wouldn’t bet on it, Ziga,” Dermo snorted. “The Union colonists along the borders to the Wastelands might disagree.”

“Dermo, what do you mean?” asked Ziga.

“Ziga, don’t you follow the news? Those savage humans have been harassing our borders with their raids on our couriers. Stealing precious cargo and Union property.”

“If you are referring to the recent raider attacks, Dermo,” said Ziga, a bit agitated at his colleague’s less than professional turn in behavior, “the violent actions of a minority does not represent the nature of an entire race.”

“Tell that to the thousands of freighter crew that have perished in the Great Wastelands at the hands of pirates!”

Their argument was attracting the attention of the other aliens and loroi.

“Perhaps,” Famiris interjected, “freighters and crew would not perish if they wandered not so far from home, Dermo. Only idiots go into dangerous territory. Better to stay clear of Great Wasteland.”

“Easy for you to say, Famiris,” Dermo shot back. “You Arekka live on the far side of the Bubble.”

“But Arekka have own problems, little fellow,” said Famiris, his feathers starting to stand on edge. “We live next to dangerous Nissek. But never provoke. Never go into place where we do not belong. The few that tried went and never came back. Probably made into Nissek meal. And Nissek that try to come into Arekka territory get smoked! That is why Nissek never bother Arekka. Because Arekka make choices based on logic. Unlike foolish Neridi or Delrias that are desperate to make quick profits by rushing into dangerous space.”

Dermo was not as offended as Kablon, who stared indignantly at the Arekka. “How dare you make such an insensitive remark! The brave souls that venture into the Wastelands take great risk to bring good fortune to-”

“Ambassadors!” Greywind called out, ordering them to silence. “This is a familial gathering. Not an Assembly conference. You are free to share your political views elsewhere. But here, you will sit with us in civility. Or not sit with us at all.”

The aliens bowed, offering their formal apologies, returning their attention to the playing children.

>Politics,< Tempo telepathically whispered to Greywind. >How tiresome.<

>Hush, Tempo!< Greywind motioned Housemaster Crescent over.

Crescent, an elderly caregiver of two and a half centuries, bent over to offer Greywind her full attention. >Yes, my Emperor.<

>Housemaster, let us see how strong the children have gotten this tozon.<

>Certainly, your highness,< Crescent sent with a bow before broadcasting to the rest of the children.

-

There are quite a few loroi games bearing remarkable resemblance to human games. Among them is Tug-of-War. To a loroi youth, there was nothing more satisfying than proving one’s strength to one’s elders by dragging her opponents down into the dirt. The assembly of young and old gathered once again in the Arena upon the Emperor’s command to commence the more serious competitions.

Greywind gave Ben the honor of going first and choosing any six teammates matching his stature. Practically all the little girls eagerly begged Ben to pick them. Naturally Ben picked Rune, Quill and Softwood, forever solidifying their friendship. Among the other eager candidates he chose a plum hair colored girl called Trill and a silver-head named Glow. He surprised the loroi and aliens when his eye suddenly fell on a particular alien.

“Elephant Man,” Ben pointed at the Neridi sitting close to the Emperor and her Chiefs. “I choose you.”

A dumbfounded Dermo just stared back at the little boy and snorted humorously. “I am not an elephant, little human. And not likely.”

“On the contrary, Ambassador Dermo,” said Greywind, “Ben was given the right to choose any six teammates matching his stature. I think it would be a kind gesture if you joined their team.”

Dermo looked up at the Emperor in dread. “Y-your h-highness! Y-y-you must be joking!”

“Do I look like I am joking?”

Dermo gave a gulp. He was not one for physical competitions.

“Come on, Dermo,” Ben urged him.

The girls on Ben’s team suddenly started calling the Neridi over as well. Finally giving in, Dermo waddled over to the mob of children, before being yanked by Ben into place along the tug rope. Seven opponent children were also chosen and lined up at the opposing end of the rope.

Black Mark, still acting as referee, said and sent, “Loroi… and… other competitors! Quick to action! Take hold!”

The children (and Neridi) bent over and pulled the tug-rope up.

“Ready!”

The little ones took stance. Standing ahead of his teammates, Ben tightened his grip on the rope. Dermo, standing at the back of the queue, grumbled.

“Go!”

With that signal, the contestants strained against each other, pulling with everything they had. For a moment it felt as if the opposing team of girls had the upper hand as Ben’s teammates were pulled forward by a foot. But Ben was not giving up. With all the strength he could muster, Ben leaned back and pushed with his legs and feet.

Ben commanded, “Pull! Pull!”

Acting in unison now, Ben’s teammates tightened their grips on the line and pushed back with their legs. The opponents stumbled forward.

“Yeah,” Ben threw up a victorious fist. Turning back to his teammates, he held up his palm in front of Rune. “Gimme’ five!”

Rune raised an odd eyebrow. What was the human doing?

Ben repeated, “Gimme’ five!”

Rune awkwardly tried to utter, “W-w-w-wha?”

Ben surprised her when he suddenly brought up her wrist and slapped his palm to hers. The other girls stared in shock at the sudden slap of hands.

Ben said in a smile, “Rune, you rock!”

Rune was quite confused. Was he invoking a challenge?

>Rune,< Cotton sent from the sidelines. >No need for alarm. Ben seems to be complimenting you.<

>Oh!< Rune sent back quite pleased, before saying to Ben, “Th-th-th-an-k… y-y-ou… y-you… r-rock… too.”

“Yeah,” Ben affirmed with a huge smile. “We rock!”

“Y-y-yes,“ Rune agreed. Inwardly thinking, whatever ‘rock’ means.

The others demanded high-fives from Ben also. Except for a wheezing Dermo.

“Good job, Dermo,” Ben complimented the Neridi.

“Yes… Neridi…” Trill, who was better at spoken words than her young peers, also complimented Dermo. “You… seem… very… strong…”

Momentarily forgetting about his annoyance with Ben, Dermo accepted the compliment. “Well…” He stood erect as if to demonstrate his prowess. “Yes. I… I suppose I am.”

Ben’s team took on five more teams of competitors, taking each one down. The adults were quite impressed with how strong a young male could muster. Until a pair of children slightly taller than Ben and his teammates took up the rope. Ben’s team managed to stay standing for well over a minute. The assembled loroi, young and old, were astounded by the little boy’s power. But eventually Ben’s team got tugged to the ground. Ben’s teammates were quick to rush over and check if he was alright. Even their opponents showed a bit of concern. But Ben jumped to his feet, still invigorated. Though a bit bummed out when he and his teammates were forced to sit on the sidelines to make way for the next competitors. Ben took his spot by Cotton.

“You did very well, Ben,” Cotton said grinning. “The girls here are saying how strong you seem.”

Looking at his team, all beaming with smiles, Ben said back, “Thanks. You guys are strong too!”

Upon receiving translation from the Listel, the girls blushed from the praise.

-

>Pull! Pull!<

A pair of youngsters pulled on the rope as hard as they could.

>I said pull!< one girl named Spark sent to her teammates.

>We are pulling, seedhead!< another named Coil sent back.

After several matches of tug-of-war, the children wanted to take on the aliens. Dermo, having had enough tug-of-war for one lifetime, collapsed back alongside the ambassadors and Chiefs. Famiris and Kablon declined. Cha, being the docile Golem he was, would not make a suitable opponent. Besides, Greywind suspected the children would exploit Cha’s sensitivity to telepathy. But Ziga did not mind taking on a challenge. Taking the rope in one hand, Ziga simply stood his ground amusedly as he watched his opponents of loroi youngsters try to drag him down. But the Barsam was as immovable as a statue. Loroi children certainly were driven by a naive sense of invincibility.

After a minute of stalemate, Ziga simply tugged the rope, dragging the children down in comical fashion. More children, especially the cocky amongst the older levels, wanted a crack at the Barsam. It was amusing to the adults to watch the Barsam humble his tiny competitors. The loroi youths of five or six tozons, faired better and even managed to make Ziga budge slightly. But taking down a Barsam would take twenty loroi at least. As gratifying as it was for loroi to win, the loroi adults found it amusing to watch a Barsam humble some arrogant youngsters.

With the sun inching closer to late afternoon, Greywind called the tug-of-war matches to an end. It was time for the older levels to engage in more serious competitions. A few caregivers left to gather some needed equipment.

>Children, settle down,< Greywind ordered the assembly. >It is time for staff combat. I am anxious to see how well the older girls have trained this last tozon.<

The caregivers returned shortly with wooden staffs and some helmets which the young competitors slipped on.

“Cotton,” Ben asked. “Why are the girls putting on helmets?”

“For safety, Ben,” the Listel said back. “To protect their skulls in the event the staff hits them on the head.”

“Why? Wood doesn’t seem that dangerous.”

“Actually, it can be, Ben. Certain woods can be very hard. A direct hit to the skull could cause concussion.”

“Con-cuck-wha?”

Cotton chuckled. “Concussion! A brain injury that results from a blow to the head. In more extreme cases, a staff might even crack the skull.”

Ben’s hands instinctively flew up to his temples. “Yikes!”

“Indeed.”

“So, what’s this game, Cotton?”

“This is a competition of strength and skill, Ben. Called staff combat. Or pole fighting. A game in which two staff wielders win by either forcing their opponent off their feet or when one knocks the other’s staff out of their hands and claims victory as soon as her gripped staff contacts the opponent. Either with a hit or even a simple tap. Now quiet! It begins.”

After slipping on their protective gear, the girls sat back on the sidelines, waiting anxiously to be called upon. Ben’s eyes were fixed on the fighting ring as two loroi youth were summoned by the referee. One a brunette with hair tied in a Heidi braid and platinum colored skin. The other, a slightly taller girl with paler complexion and fiery, orange hair tied back into two ponytails. After a formal bow to the Emperor and to each other, the two competitors assumed a fighting stance, staff-tips inches apart. With an audible, “Begin,” from the referee, the two girls took cautious steps forward and back, sizing each other up.

The fiery girl made the first attack. With both hands gripping the lower half of her pole, the fiery one brought the pole’s extended half down onto the brunette. Extending her arms out, the brunette’s staff blocked the attack, but barely managed to block as the fiery one swiftly moved her grip up her own pole and swiftly brought in the pole’s lower end. The brunette winced as her opponent’s pole made contact with her shin. Stumbling backward a few paces as the fiery one smacked her pole against her opponent’s and pushed, trying to force the brunette off her feet. Swallowing the stinging of her shin, the brunette regained her balance and swiftly swung her staff to slap her opponent’s exposed hip. The fiery one yelped, jumping back a few paces.

The two danced as they tiptoed back and forth from each other, deciding on their next coordinated move while anticipating the other’s attack. The fiery one decided on her next move as she brought her stuff into vertical alignment. Taking a misleading step back, giving the impression that she was about to assume defense, the fiery one made to surprise her opponent by swinging her staff from vertical to horizontal alignment and swiftly thrusted the staff forward. The brunette stumbled back a pace, barely deflecting the fiery one’s pole as it poked her in the rib. Without losing grip on her pole’s end, the fiery one swung her pole in full circle, using the leverage to strike her opponent’s side. The brunette brought up her staff in time to deflect the attack. Staffs sounded off with a thundering, “whack.”

Still managing to hold onto her pole, the fiery one hopped back a few defensive paces, bringing in her staff as she decided on her next attack. But the brunette did not give her opponent the chance. Seizing the opportunity, the brunette charged forward and, copying her opponent’s first attack, swung down the upper half of her staff, swiftly bringing up the lower half after getting her first swing blocked. The fiery one pushed down her pole, intercepting the lower swing. But was in for a shock when the brunette suddenly brought the upper half of her staff back down, knocking the fiery one’s pole out of her grip. The fiery one reached for her pole-

“End match!” the referee called out just as the brunette’s staff-tip tapped her opponent’s chest.

>No fair!< the fiery one cried out to the referee. >I got my staff back!<

>Not before you got tapped out, Edge,< the referee corrected. >Match is over.<

>Good match, Edge,< the brunette sent with a cocky grin, bowing in mocking fashion.

>Don’t be so proud, Civie! That was just a lucky move,< The fiery one called Edge snorted haughtily as she tore off her helmet and stomped angrily back to her peers.

The referee called out, “Next competitor: Ember!”

“Wow,” Ben whispered to Cotton. “That girl really kicks butt.”

Cotton raised an eyebrow at Ben. “Kicks butt? But she did not even kick her opponents buttocks.”

Ben giggled. “Cotton, you’re funny.”

“Funny? But I was not making-”

The Listel suddenly remembered a brief exchange from several tozons ago when she met a humanity envoy during Cry of the Wind’s visit to Azimol to engage in dialogue with the Emperor’s diplomats. During their off-hours from diplomatic work, the envoys were given a demonstration of the Unsheathed’s psychokinetic abilities. Astounded by the Teidar’s seemingly mystical powers, the envoy was kind enough to share with Cotton many Terran slangs after she overheard him commenting how the Unsheathed seemed to ‘kick ass.’

Perking her lips thoughtfully, Cotton agreed with Ben. “Yes. I suppose… she kicks butt.”

The matches continued. The brunette took on five more competitors, either knocking them off their feet or thwacking her opponents’ weapon out of their grip. Clearly she had trained hard to be the best at this sport. Until she met her match with a slightly shorter girl. The two sparred and parried, sounding off with the occasional ‘clack’ as staffs thwacked. Until the shorty parried the brunette’s staff to the side. In a flash of motion, the shorty’s pole smacked the brunette’s face. Momentarily dazed, the brunette fell as the lower half of the shorty’s pole swept under the brunette’s vulnerable side and knocked the brunette off her feet.

The brunette struck her fist to the ground frustratedly as she made to climb back up. Until the shorty thrusted her pole just inches above her chest.

After just being stared down for several solons, the shorty sent, “Come on, Clay! Grab ahold!”

The brunette, Clay just glared back at her.

>Stop being stubborn,< the shorty sent.

Even though Clay felt no deception coming from the shorty, she refused to take hold of the pole. Clay had been tricked before by teasers feigning to help her up with the end of a staff. Only to let her collapse back down.

>No trick. I promise,< the shorty assured.

>I don’t need your help, Chord,< Clay shot back as she stubbornly rose to her feet. >I can take care of myself.<

The shorty, Chord, sent nothing back.

The two girls bowed to their elders before Clay went back to the sidelines. Chord stayed in the center ring to take on her next opponent. And the staff combat rounds continued; the victor would take on her next opponent until she was knocked off her feet and another competitor took her place.

-

Competitions were over by dusk. The loroi and their guests left the Arena to attend the evening feast. Some servants had taken the time during the games to set up several tables with floor cushions within the Garden. The mild weather smiled upon the large company of adults and children, making it ideal to enjoy their evening feast outdoors.

Greywind and her Diaderets sat at their own table along with the ambassadors. Tempo, Cotton and Ben were permitted to sit with them as well. The children sat with peers belonging to their levels within the creche, along with their respective caregivers. Save for Quill, Softwood and Rune who were welcomed to the Emperor’s table to sit with their special guest, as a reward for being the first to greet Ben. Many other children glanced enviously at the trio who got to sit closest to the Emperor… and the handsome little human.

While much of loroi dining was informal, there were numerous loroi subcultures with various feasting rituals. Greywind herself had been brought up with the Perrein tradition of group dining whenever family or friends paid a visit, in which they would enjoy a multi-course meal. Tonight the occupants of the creche enjoyed a feast reminiscent of that Perrein tradition with several exotic dishes from all the Sister Worlds set forth on every table. People could just sample what they picked. Plus it was more efficient than waiting for servants to come with a new dish every few minutes.

The aliens were brought special meals to their taste. Including Ben who was served a Kabelan fish from the mobile capitol’s food stocks along with misesa bread. Cotton had earlier imparted instructions to the cooks on how to prepare Ben’s food. While most of the loroi food on the table was not agreeable with human taste, that did not stop Ben from wanting to sample a few goodies. Especially upon his new friends’ insistence.

“Woah,” Ben said as he sucked on a sweet tuber offered by Quill. “This is really good. What’s this called?”

“Oh, that is bizal coated in boiled nagen sap,” said Cotton, enjoying some miros steak. “A good source of sugars.”

“H-h-here… B-Ben,” said Softwood, holding a pickled arm of sori meat out for Ben. “Is… v-very… g-g-good.”

Ben graciously accepted Softwood’s offering and took a hefty bite. But almost instantly regretted it as the bitter taste of sori flesh flooded his tongue. Ben shook his head left and right, his face cringing as he fought the urge to gag. The loroi and aliens around the table eyed Ben strangely.

Cotton took an empty plate. “Here, Ben! Spit it out here,” she said, holding the plate in front of his mouth.

Ben did just that. Cotton covered a hand over his face to spare the assembly of Ben’s rejected meal.

“Ben,” Greywind cautioned him with a stern look. “Mind your manners. Do not sample food if you intend to spit it out.”

“Sorry,” an embarrassed Ben said.

Diaderet Brightray could not help but laugh. “Ben, is it?” she asked. “No need to feel ashamed. Many loroi here do not like pickled sori ourselves. Too salty.”

“And toxic,” a Diaderet of Taben heritage called Second Claw joked, making some of the loroi laugh.

“I happen to find sori very refreshing,” Greywind disagreed as she took a sori arm from the platter. “Helps with digestion. And easing muscle cramps.”

“Her highness is not mistaken,” Tempo added. “Many of Perrein’s pickled foods have also been known to fight diseases.”

“Assuming Perrein food doesn’t kill you first,” said Second Claw, earning some more laughs.

The native Perreins shrugged the insensitive comment off. Many loroi outside of Perrein culture did not appreciate Perrein cuisine.

>The sori is exquisite, Housemaster Crescent,< Greywind sent to the Housemaster, chewing on delicious sori meat. Crescent had been granted a seat in the Emperor’s company.

>We do our best to satisfy, your highness,< a flattered Crescent sent back. >In fact it is we caregivers who should be thanking the Emperor for providing exotic ingredients from Perrein. Indeed from all the Sister Worlds.<

While caregivers primary roles was teaching and nurturing, caregivers were also expected to fulfill other jobs such as cooking, cleaning and basic medical aid. The Housemaster was essentially the overseer managing the creche’s internal affairs under State regulations. And while the children of this particular creche were blessed with a luxurious upbringing, their custodians expected them to assist servants in menial chores. Even for someone such as Greywind who came from a privileged background and was not required to do much manual labor, Greywind understood the importance of not spoiling children. She had met one too many loroi ruined by self-entitlement.

>I am pleased, Housemaster, with this creche’s progress,< sent Greywind. >And am also glad to see that Clay has improved.<

>Clay… is a formidable combatant, I admit,< Crescent sent. >But she still has been resistant to assimilate.<

Greywind raised a curious eyebrow. >Oh? How so?<

>While Clay is excellent at physical combat, she is lagging behind in her studies. On top of that she still has not gotten along with most of her peers very well. In fact there have been a few incidents in which Clay was caught in a brawl.<

>Well,< sent Greywind, >that does seem serious. Summon Clay here!<

Crescent obliged as she rose from her chair. She was back within a minute with Clay in tow.

>Hello, Clay,< sent Greywind.

The young trainee bowed. >My Emperor,< Clay sent with reverence.

Greywind patted a floor cushion to her right side. >Come. Sit with me.<

Taking her seat by the Emperor, Clay took notice of the alien ambassadors, who sent polite gestures, and of the Diaderets. Most of the Councilorss paid Clay no mind, though a few regarded her like the way one may regard an unwelcome stray.

>I am pleased,< sent Greywind, >with your performance today, Clay. Your staff combat skills have improved.<

Clay smiled at the praise. >Thank you, Emperor.<

>Though I am troubled to hear that you have not been getting along with your peers.<

Clay’s smile vanished as she looked down ashamed. >Emperor, I… I swear it’s not my fault-<

>How dare you address your Emperor so, Clay,< Crescent admonished her.

>Do not interrupt us, Housemaster,< Greywind commanded.

Crescent bowed her head. >Forgive me, your highness.<

>Clay,< Greywind continued her exchange, >we have had this conversation last year. I understand your dilemma, but I will not always be there to back you. A good warrior stands up for herself. And also finds the courage to reach out to others. This will be most essential when you begin your trials next tozon.<

>Yes, Emperor,< Clay sent back humbly. >I… I truly have tried to make friends here. But…<

Clay could not help but leak flashes of her experiences this past tozon. How most of the girls avoided her. While a few had befriended her, Clay’s few friends shied away whenever a few girls came to bully her. While Clay had found the strength to resist these bullies, she felt isolated when her friends simply left her to fend for herself. Likely so as not to get caught up in conflicts and stay within the dominant youths’ good graces. What seemed most unfair to Clay was the fact that the caregivers would more often admonish Clay for these brawls rather than punish the bullies who started these fights in the first place. And Clay was absolutely convinced that it was all because of her civilian heritage.

>I seem to understand your problem, Clay,< Greywind sent assuringly. >I understand what it is like to feel alone. As if no one else cares. No matter what anyone tells you, know this: I am happy I adopted you into our familial clan. But you must be strong. And when your strength is not enough, you must reach out to others. Even if they seem to reject you, you must find a way to reach out. Do not victimize yourself. You must not be drawn into that pit of despair. It is a false form of comfort and a sure way to isolate yourself.<

>Emperor, I… I am trying,< Clay sent sincerely.

>I believe you,< sent Greywind. >But perhaps the manner in which you try must change. And the collective attitude of the creche must also change. I will make you a deal. Tomorrow we will have a family conference. Your problem will be the first to be addressed. If you will do one thing for me.<

>Emperor, I’ll do anything,< Clay sent, perking up upon hearing that.

>Then go talk with Ben.<

Clay’s gaze swung to the little human and back to Greywind. >You mean the human?!<

>Who else?<

>But-< Clay fumbled for the words. >But I can’t speak very well!<

>Well best get started. It is important that you learn to reach out. And here is your chance. So… get on with it!<

Taking a nervous gulp, Clay moved over a few cushions. The little ones begrudgingly moved aside to give her a spot right next to Ben, who in turn took notice of the teenage-looking girl that just plopped down right beside him.

With some telepathic assistance from Cotton, Clay spoke, “H-h-hello, B-B-Ben.”

“Uh, hi there,” a surprised Ben said back. “Who are you?”

“M-my n-n-name… is… K-K-Kluh.”

Ben tilted his head slightly. “Kluh? Your name is Kluh?”

“Clay,” Cotton corrected.

“Oh! Nice to meet you, Clay,” Ben extended his hand.

Clay could not help but blush a bit as she took the little male’s pink hand. He was so warm to the touch. Many of the other girls around glared jealous daggers at Clay as she got to touch him.

Taking back her hand, Clay searched for something to say, but came up short.

>Tell him how old you are,< Cotton suggested.

“Ben… I… am… five… years… old,” Clay said slowly.

Ben’s mouth dropped. “No! Way!”

“It is true, Ben,” Cotton said on Clay’s behalf.

“Woah! Well, I’m five too.”

Clay nearly jumped in surprise as Cotton translated. “B-but… you… look so… so… y-young, Ben.”

Ben grinned at the unintentional compliment. “You are very charming.”

Clay’s blush deepened as her cheeks and ears turned an even deeper shade of blue. Their conversation even caught the attention of the Diaderets and aliens at the table.
Second Claw grinned amusedly. “This may be the greatest human-loroi exchange of our generation,” she said.

>Second Claw, hush!< Greywind sent.

Clay, trying to come up with something more to say, thought about her personal possessions. “I… I h-have a… pigmy m-miros.”

“What’s a pigmy miros?” Ben asked.

“A s-small… pet!”

Ben had no idea what a pigmy miros was, but said anyway. “Uh… I’d love to see your pet some time.”

“Thank you! D-do… you… h-have pet?”

“Me? Nope! But I got an iron deficiency!”

“Th-that is… v-v-very in-n-n-n-teresting,” Clay said without thinking.

Now the older loroi smirked at this silly attempt of communication.

“This conversation will make history,” Second Claw chuckled.

>Stop it!< Greywind ordered. >Clay, pay no mind to the Councilors. Continue your conversation.<

Clay tried to think of something else to-

“Oh! I uh…” Ben fumbled for the words. “I saw you fighting with your big stick today. Uh, you were really cool.”

Clay raised a curious eyebrow. >Cool?<

>It is a compliment,< sent Cotton.

>Oh!< Clay answered Ben, “Th-thank you. I… have trained… v-v-very, very hard.”

“Can you teach me?” Ben asked.

“What?”

“Can you teach me to fight like that?”

“M-m-maybe… yes?”

“Awesome! I can’t wait to kick butt with you.”

The assembled loroi could not hold it in anymore as they blurted out suppressed laughter. Despite their different regards towards humans, the idea of a female teaching a male was comically ridiculous.

>Cram it,< Greywind snarled.

>Sorry,< Lodestone snickered. >But it is too funny.<

>Clay, thank you for your visit,< sent Greywind. >But perhaps it is best you head back to your peers.<

>Really?!< Clay sent. >Must I, Emperor?<

>I promise you will have more opportunities to engage with Ben tomorrow,< Greywind assured her. >Besides, I don’t think my fellow idiots here seem able to compose themselves much longer.<

>Hey!< Stormcry sent offended.

Clay could not help but smirk. That was pretty funny. “Ben… I m-must… go now… but… w-we talk m-more… to-to-tomorrow.”

Ben nodded. “Okay then.”

A now happy Clay stood up and made her way back to her fellow peers.

Edge, feeling a spike of jealousy and sitting just a table away from the Chiefs’ table, swiftly stuck out her leg as Clay walked by. Clay stumbled to the ground.

>Well, Clay,< Edge sent with a smirk. >You certainly make people laugh even without trying.<

Edge’s company of girls giggled along with her.

Clay furiously shot up from the ground and shoved Edge to the table. >Stupid bint! You did that on purpose!<

Edge, feeling the challenge, rose from her seat. >What’s your problem? Have you no sense of humor?<

>You’re not humorous, Edge!< Clay snarled. >You’re a bully!<

>Feeble civie!< Edge insulted back as she pushed Clay to the ground.

The caregivers and servants eyed the situation warily. While some wanted to intervene, it was sometimes necessary for loroi youth to vent out their frustrations so long as it did not go over bounds. Ben, upon seeing his new friend get pushed around, remembered a bully back from Grind that once pushed him to the ground, trying to take away his Superman. His mother had taught him that if she was not there for him, he had to stand up against bullies or they would only push him around. Now it was time for Ben to act.

Ben darted for Clay. Cotton was too late to usher him back down. “Hey!” He shouted at Edge, shoving her off. The girl looked down at this new assailant. “Stop being a poophead! Leave her alone!”

“Do not touch me, freak!” Edge snarled, pushing Ben to the ground.

Clay, engraged at Edge for hurting her new friend, jumped to her feet and shoved Edge, unintentionally making her trip over the table. Food chunks and sauce sprung into the air as Edge collapsed onto the table, crunching porcelain and glass underneath her weight. Some girls gasped at the outrageous display while others giggled.

Clay crouched by Ben’s side. “Y-you hurt?”

Ben sat up, shaking his head. “I’m okay.”

Now enraged at the serious offense inflicted on her person, a food-covered Edge rose from her fall and stormed toward Clay and Ben. Sensing the impending assault, Clay jumped to action, placing herself firmly between Edge and Ben.

Image]

“ENOUGH!” Greywind shouted for all to hear. Rising from her perch, she sent, >Edge! You will sit or leave the feast!<

>Me?!< Edge sent back in disbelief. >But Clay started-<

>You think I did not notice that prank?! It does not matter who started it. It is finished. Now!<

A deathly silence fell over the assembly. All color drained from Edge’s face along with her anger, now replaced by fear. She did not dare talk back at the Emperor.

>My elder,< Edge sent awkwardly. >May I please be excused to wash myself?<

>You will sit as you are,< Greywind instructed.

A humbled and humiliated Edge sat back down. Servants rushed over to clean up the mess and replace the table's contents. Greywind ordered Ben and Clay back to their seats. Ben sat back down at the Chiefs’ table. Cotton checked him for injuries, relieved to find none. The loroi and their guests simply carried in with their feast.

“Smooth beginnings I’ll say,” Brightsword muttered under her breath.

As serious as Greywind was, even she was no stranger to sarcasm. >Shut your mouth,< she sent, reaching for another sori arm.

-

After the feast, the children were sent to their dorms. The Ambassadors and high-ranking loroi retired to their respective rooms as well. Some of the girls anxiously asked if Ben could spend the night with them. A request that was quickly shot down by the Emperor much to their dismay. The Emperor could not have disruptions during her delve into the dreamscape tonight. And to ensure that there was no chance of mischief on the children’s part, Greywind made arrangements for Ben to spend the night in her personal chambers. If Ben was to live at this creche, the children would have to be taught better abstinence.

After helping Ben to switch into some loose-fitting nightwear, Cotton left Ben in Greywind’s care. But not before Ben motioned for the Listel to kneel down to his level. And shocked Cotton after giving her a kiss on the cheek and taking her into a big hug. “Thanks for being such a great friend,” he told her.

“You are quite welcome,” said Cotton, hugging him back. “I will see you tomorrow.”

Before being excused for the evening, Ben was sure to give Attendant Link a kiss and hug too so as not to let her feel left out. And of course Link couldn’t say no to such human affection even if she wanted to.

Having switched into a long night robe, Greywind sat down on her bed with the Batman comic in hand. “Come, Ben,” she patted the mattress. “Let us continue the Batman adventure story.”

Ben hopped up beside Greywind. Before Greywind could start reading, Ben asked, “Emperor, are you mad at me?”

Greywind looked down at Ben. “You mean for the fight earlier?”

Ben nodded.

“I do not condone senseless fighting, Ben. It is not smart to seek out fights just for the sake of fighting. But it is right to stand up for yourself. And more right to stand up for friends. Tomorrow we will talk more about these things. For now, let us just read.”

“Okay, Emperor.”

Easing back into her pillow, the old Emperor continued where they left off. Greywind’s English had improved quite a bit, though she sometimes relied on Ben to explain a few phrases. Although there were quite a few advanced words that even Ben didn’t understand. The more Greywind read about the Batman hero, the more she started to ponder his honorary code. As silly as it seemed to be analyzing a fictional work, the story of Batman’s character and battles against anarchists was compelling. Why did he refuse to kill? How come he concealed his identity? Greywind found it quite peculiar that the only authoritative figure Batman seemed to answer to was the Commissioner Gordon character. Quite astonishing was how Batman could retain his vast wealth while pursuing the life and career of a warrior. Though it seemed silly that, even with his wealth and intelligence, that Batman did not seek to impose effective change by pursuing a political seat of power. Perhaps Batman had been shamed in his youth and had no choice but to fight from the shadows.

Greywind considered asking Ben, but doubted that a child would understand such complex concepts. Especially when said child was snoozing away. It seemed storytelling was an effective way of putting human children to sleep. Greywind would remember that.

Casting the comic aside, Greywind reached for her communicator to call in Tempo, who arrived within minutes.

>It is time, Tempo,< sent Greywind, laying herself down beside Ben.

>I’m ready, Emperor.< Locking the doors behind herself and switching the room’s windows from transparent to opaque, Tempo crawled up onto the bed beside Greywind, careful so as not to disturb Ben’s slumber. Red eyes glowed a brilliant crimson as Tempo eased Greywind’s mind into the dreamscape.
Last edited by Snoofman on Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:20 am, edited 9 times in total.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Nice!

One thing though, because it has been bugging me:
the children are not "toddlers" anymore.
Toddlers, as used by the paediatric society, is used for children that are far younger than the children depicted here:
a random website wrote:“Toddlerhood is a period of especially rapid growth and development.
Toddlers are learning several skills, including walking, talking and potty training.
It is also a period when temperament becomes more apparent.”

— DR. PIERRETTE MIMI POINSETT
For Humans, toddlers are approximately 12 months to 2-3 years old, depending on the individuals development (some "fixed" definitions define toddlers as twelve months to three years old). But Ben seems much older than that, judged by the way he interacts with the other children and the Emperor.

Again, thanks @Wolf for the wonderful art.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Krulle wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:29 pm
Nice!

One thing though, because it has been bugging me:
the children are not "toddlers" anymore.
Toddlers, as used by the paediatric society, is used for children that are far younger than the children depicted here:
a random website wrote:“Toddlerhood is a period of especially rapid growth and development.
Toddlers are learning several skills, including walking, talking and potty training.
It is also a period when temperament becomes more apparent.”

— DR. PIERRETTE MIMI POINSETT
For Humans, toddlers are approximately 12 months to 2-3 years old, depending on the individuals development (some "fixed" definitions define toddlers as twelve months to three years old). But Ben seems much older than that, judged by the way he interacts with the other children and the Emperor.

Again, thanks @Wolf for the wonderful art.
It might take time to go back and change every word, 'toddler' to 'child', but in any case I'll keep that in mind for the future. Thanks.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

For a species that can measure age in centuries I think getting a little fuzzy on the specifics of the age range of young children is alright.
#1 Tempo simp

Fun fact: did you know that "Loroi Union" has the same number of syllables as "California"?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

It is. I just mentioned it, because the meaning of toddler is contradicting the capabilities Ben and the Loroi children are showing, and it itched me the wrong way.

The social interaction of the level shown is simply not present with "toddlers", and even though the Loroi mature faster than Humans, the definition in psychology of "toddler" is not linked to age (as the Loroi children Ben interacts with might be in that age range), but to capabilities.
And all children shown in this chapter are beyond the "I've learnt to control my body, now what can I do with other persons?" level.
same webpage wrote:“Toddlers have not yet learned how to regulate emotions,” she [Carole Kramer Arsenault, a registered nurse and the CEO of Boston Baby Nurse & Nanny] says. “Children at 36 months of age are ready to learn social interactions, unlike the toddler who is just starting to learn about the world.”
But as wolf indicated, who cares, we're here for the fabulous story, and one fan who is throwing a tantrum at an unlucky word choice by a non-native speaker of an english fanfic can safely be ignored.
I just wanted to point it out, and now I've done so.

Again, thanks you both.
The combination of your story and the doodle by wolf is... fabulous!

I hope Arioch will make a specific section on his webpage where he shows off the best fanfics, and this definitely deserves a safer and better visible place than the forum.

wolf329

Post by wolf329 »

Fan art is tricky for creators to recognize. They can make blanket statements, "All the art everyone makes is fantastic!", host a gallery or make a forum for said content without placing any claims on it, but anything more such as singling out specific works for quality could open them up for issues later on such as "I wrote that in my fic before you put it in the comic, therefor etc...", or acknowledging creators of fanworks that are slightly less than family friendly ( (͠≖ ͜ʖ͠≖) ) could jeopardize the standing of the work with advertisers or similar entities.

99.999% of people who create fan works understand that they're doing it out of love of the work rather than placing some sort of claim on it, but that last .001% can be a problem sometimes. Heck, even actual companies that purchase official work for hire have to be careful lest they end up with a Ken Penders situation.
#1 Tempo simp

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Wolf329 makes excellent point.On the one hand, if you don't want people to copy your work, then don't post it online for all to see for free. But then how will you get criticism to improve your talent?

Copyright and intellectual property seems like a tricky thing. As tedious as it seems, even I make disclaimers in my fanfics so as not to make any misunderstandings. But when you think about it, almost everybody, both in independent or mainstream content, has copied one party or another. It's been established that Deadpool, for example, is just a Deathstroke ripoff. The Lion King is basically an Americanized retelling of Kimba the White Lion. The Na'vi of Avatar are giant smurfs. Stephen King's The Dark Tower is partially inspired by the Lord of the Rings. Even the Outsider webcomic is essentially a reimagining of Masters of Orion. Not intended as an assault or insult against the makers of said webcomic that we all love and cherish. I'm just making a point. So who is copying or stealing from who? Hell there's even a Registry of Blue Peoples in the Outsider's Insider content.

While content creators and writers should make an effort to avoid copyright infringement, they have to inevitably take a risk if their fantasy/scifi idea is the only way to convey the story they have in mind.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

A small detail, but it seems Loroi children show interest in the opposite sex far earlier than their humans counterpart.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

raistlin34 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:03 am
A small detail, but it seems Loroi children show interest in the opposite sex far earlier than their humans counterpart.
It was not my meaning that the youngsters younger than three years would show such powerful interest compared to a loroi that is hitting puberty. While I don't know the exact year loroi girls hit puberty and start lusting for a male, my guess is that it starts around five or six years. Consult Outsider lore for details.

While I think the loroi youth about three years or younger do not have those same lustful feelings, I'm sure they have a mild interest in males. Plus I'm sure that their slightly older peers, both pre-initiates and post-graduates, have shared some naughty stories regardless of loroi taboos. In the memoir/film "Angela's Ashes", Frank McCourt spends a bit of his childhood listening to naughty stories long before he hits puberty. Quite attentively in point of fact.

Besides, I think even some of the loroi have a bit of interest in something new and alien.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

if the birth rate quota is true, then yes, they will show an interest in the other gender, but purely because it is different than one self is, and not much chance to meet those.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Whew, caught up with the story. Any updates? :P

It finally switches from a children's playground back to some proper mystery, and you end it on a cliffhanger.

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Cthulhu wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 6:12 pm
Whew, caught up with the story. Any updates? :P

It finally switches from a children's playground back to some proper mystery, and you end it on a cliffhanger.
I'm just gettin' warmed up! 8-)

Sorry to disappoint ya'll that this post is merely a comment and not a new chapter. I have been exhausted from work and trying to figure out how the next chapter will role out. And more sorry that I will be heading to Ireland for a week where I shall be appointed Godfather. So the updates will likely be delayed. But I swear the next chapter is coming. With that said, be safe folks, work smart... and be as AWESOME as physically possible.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL!

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Hey, becoming a Godfather is far more important than sacrificing your spare time to some strangers on the InterWebs.

Enjoy your trip!

( I pity I cannot make it to Munich next week, I really should, but... :(
My godchildren (twins) will have their confirmation that weekend, but due to work, school, and and and... it's messy with the time schedule.
And now my oldest son has an ear infection and is not allowed to fly. )