FanFiction notes for "Door Keepers"

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Kensai

FanFiction notes for "Door Keepers"

Post by Kensai »

Ok... in a few minutes, I will post my own bit of writing. Its been lurking in my head for some time and well, it was time to put into form.

Given human nature and such... events always seem to spur invention and advance- often when conflict is happening or on the horizon. Given science is always exploring options, oft times its a Holy Crap moment that will serve to drive tech forward or a "What if I tried this" question (which is kinda how kevlar came about).

Reverse Engineering is a thing and does happen... and it was this idea that helped lead to this story. Yeah, the orgus ship isn't as good as the main combatants... but it did offer a means to advance Humanity's tech... or serve as inspiration for looking for those advances.

I took a few liberties with Human Tech and ship building, drawing upon established history in our ability to gear up in short time frames.

As pointed out in other posts and threads, there are not many large shipyards in human space.... but a few smaller ones. And as was done with both the new English Carrier and the Ford Class, sections could be built elsewhere and moved.

There will be more posts but right now... its a start.
The Philosophical Kensai

Still trying to master my craft...
As all Saints of the Sword do.

kiwi

Re: FanFiction notes for "Door Keepers"

Post by kiwi »

Ahhh, the human method :-): "No one came back from the expedition. Let's send more."

I was thinking to myself a while ago that the Orgus vessel would be absolutely swarming with scientists, engineers, engineering scientists* and one very grumpy anthropologist. I've been enjoying the fan fiction hereabouts, and I think 'functional fleet meets functional fleet' will be an interesting permutation. It will be fun to see the fruits of their labour.

* Engineering science is the discipline of engineering created when 'normal' engineers said "That maths is too horrible, get someone else to do it."

PS: it's your story, but if you're looking for some technical McGuffinry for 'here is some startlingly original human tech,' may I suggest engineering origami?
SpoilerShow

Kensai

Post by Kensai »

thanks Kiwi.

There will be more written as I go.

Functional Fleet meeting Functional Fleet will happen eventually- the character Nema is based on is a character my ex had in a game- a Sub captain and engineer with eidetic memory. I still am friends with the ex and will be consulting her to get the characterization right- she is amused at her character being a character in a story... I always thought Nema was cool as hell and wished I had more opportunity to interact.

So I get to write about her. :)

That she was also a Vernian... well, that will crop up in spots...

As I see it, Space is just like an ocean... and just as deadly if you screw up. The Human fleet is still outgunned and the disparity in tech is still a thing thought not as huge now in this story. But the written style of Umniak combat engagement plays well into a Submersible Captain's way of thinking. Strategy and tactics can go a long way towards affecting battle outcomes.
The Philosophical Kensai

Kensai

Post by Kensai »

Background filler discussion to explain the good Captain... and the two marines in the piece.

Nema is what she's described in the piece. And she EXPECTS her people to know their jobs and to think through gambles. Mistakes do happen- she does know this... but when you control 90% of the situational factors, it better be a one in a million mistake. Gambles in action... she will not question success and if there was no other real viable means of accomplishing the mission.

Major Ganic... is based on a larp character I played. This ideation is a long time Marine Commando who went into Space when opportunity arose. And his presence on HER ship is no mistake- though the character doesn't know this. He's smart, a good shot and is a lead from the front sort when he can. That he's a Major in charge of the Detachment... he knows there is no more boarding actions in his future unless it gets stupid.

Augie McCoy is based on a now-deceased Army Ranger friend. Fairly Smart but gambles FAR too much (both in cards and in actions while in battle). Damn lucky and almost always has *something* up his sleeve. Usually of very questionable legality... but when one is a master scrounge, smart bosses don't ask questions.

As more writing happens, I'll add to this thread with synopsis of the characters or why I went with a thing I did.
The Philosophical Kensai

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

The plot thickens… Which Bennett will it be… ?

Kensai

Post by Kensai »

GeoModder wrote:The plot thickens… Which Bennett will it be… ?

Got your answer.... :)

I went with ECS 150 as I could not find exactly where a list of craft was that went... but I figured it would likely be a sister of the Bellmarine. Given that the Mateyev was used in a story already...

Time for some boarding action soon. It likely won't be the quality of "Into the Mirror" but I will try.
The Philosophical Kensai

Kensai

Post by Kensai »

next piece will be written soon enough.

I need to puzzle out sensor ranges vis'a'vis the story universe to be sure its not silly. That TF Door Keeper is under EMCON is a big deal for anything entering the system. I think I have what is coming worked out, thanks to Arioch's fairly straight forward notes on Umniak composition of task groups.

Hopefully something by friday the 21st
The Philosophical Kensai

Kensai

Post by Kensai »

my apologies for the long delay in continuance.

Between writing block, projects in other hobbies, plans for a wedding.... and work stress (front lines of this pandemic as part of Emergency Medical Services), life has been rough. But I felt the need to put some more writing out there.

For those wondering,

The Human Fleet is the following:
ECS 103 Europe heavy cruiser
ECS 204 Brasilia heavy destroyer
ECS 178 Yorktown Modified Bennent Heavy Scout
ECS 182 Agincourt
ECS 209 Freeman Fire Support Destroyer
ECS 211 Cunningham Fire Support Destroyer
ECS 091 Moss Frigate
ECS 100 McGarry Frigate

All of them have the upgrades hinted at in the early stage of the story. It makes them more capable against what's arrived.
Speaking of them...

Type Kh Light Cruiser
Type HH Heavy Destroyer x2

I too played MOO II and in remembering tech levels from it, if not for the upgrades, those three ships would own this fleet in a straight fight. Good thing.... it's not a straight fight and MOO doesn't give the option of silent running and torps lying doggo...

Doesn't mean it won't be bloody- cause it will.
The Philosophical Kensai

JamesAlbinson

Post by JamesAlbinson »

Thank you Kensai, I am enjoying this story very much. As I mentioned elsewhere, this study of predicament is very apt for our times.
All the best, James Albinson