Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
[Fan Fiction] Vanguard 

Post [Fan Fiction] Vanguard
Diclaimer: Outsider and any and all related content is the intellectual property of Jim Francis a.k.a. Arioch

I hereby claim no right to his works, nor any intimate knowledge to the story of Outsider.

Vanguard is an old concept of a story I had been working on concurrently with 'The Pale Horse'. The idea being that Humanity is in a position of being able to enforce their neutrality against either combatant; the issue is that Humanity is not really 'united', underlying tensions dictate a course of action that would bring humanity into the fray. In the end I 'shelved' Vanguard and elected to work on 'The Pale Horse' for two reasons: It seemed more challenging as a story and the outline was shorter.

I make no promises that I will be working on this story, I believe that it has its own strengths and weaknesses and I admit that I do want to write certain battle sequences that I had envisioned when I was fiddling with the basic premise of the story.

I will post the Prologue and Chapter 1 which is as far as I wrote when I was actively working on the story about two years ago. Like always I had a wide outline and some background information laid out so if anyone is curious about it I will answer any questions about the concept and the story I had in mind.

Prologue

Earth
15th of November 2259

He should have followed Ellen’s example and retired decades ago, there were certainly plenty of times that he was close in doing just that and now he wondered how things would have turned out if he had elected to retire.

“So… Admiral Jardin, why do you think that you should be the one to be given overall command of the contact mission?” Senator Williams of the United States of America asked, his voice and expression barely betraying the condescension that the biggest loudmouth of the Homeworlder faction held for him.

“Because I am the best man for the job.” He replied while standing at attention, looking straight ahead as if he was still a cadet; he hated even being in the same room with these wastes of oxygen but if he was to achieve his goal he had to keep up appearances and make sure that the politicians would feel good with themselves, even at his expense.

“A has been relic that should have retired decades ago?” The Senator remarked with a smug grin on his face, a grin that all other representatives in the selection committee shared. Earth’s nations still held disproportionate political strength which was more than enough for the entire committee to be comprised exclusively by members of the Homeworlder faction. The very ones who constantly pushed for Earth to have overarching authority over all of the colony worlds, even the ones that had long since been self sustaining, thriving and would in a matter of years be strong enough to rival Earth’s combined strength.

“I am pretty sure that I have three continents, two moons and one gas giant named after me; this in addition to the Fleet’s scout ship that the admiralty saw fit to name after me despite me still being in active service.” He replied while keeping his expression straight and emotionless, a skill that took some time for him to master. He saw the Senator frown, everyone in the committee knew that this whole hearing was a farce; that the Homeworlder faction had already decided on who to give command of the expedition but he had a few aces up his sleeve to make them change their mind and his positive reputation with the colonial populations played a key part in his argument. He was after all the one who discovered half of the garden worlds and he was the constant pain in the ass for the military industrialists who run politics on both Earth and the Colonies.

“That’s true…” The Senator acknowledged. “Now tell me, why do you think that you are the best man for the job?”

“Because I am going to give you exactly what humanity needs right now.” He replied while keeping his expression stony cold.

“And what is that?” The Senator asked, his expression betraying both his surprise and curiosity.

You mean besides you in prison you fucking kiddie fiddler?
He thought as he finally allowed his face to break into a smile as he stared straight into the senator’s eyes.

“War.”

Looking forward to the mirror (Delayed editing)
Reforged (Irregular updates)
The Pale Horse (Completed, could use some editing)

Last edited by dragoongfa on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:59 pm

Post Re: [Fan Fiction] Vanguard
Chapter 1, part 1

14th of July 2260

“Jump Successful, all systems green!” Vanguard’s operation’s chief bellowed the very same moment Admiral Jardin let out the breath he was holding. He allowed himself a moment for his mind to reorient itself before glancing at the fleet report on his console. All ships reported in as he expected and they were quickly forming around the massive super-battleship that served as his flagship for the contact expedition.

He glanced at the star system’s report, a barren red dwarf just like the scouts had reported; he eyeballed the distances involved and realized that it would take a little more than a day to get to the next star system he had plotted the course to. The Loroi had proven themselves elusive so far but he was certain that it was only a matter of time before the fleet would run into them, he had taken steps to avoid suspected Umiak territory and by now they should be just about to enter Loroi territory which would open up the next part of the plan.

Until then he still had time to run some more combat drills, his captains had gotten sick of them but he had to admit that they had finally gotten better with the basics which made him wonder if he should give them an AI opponent or if he should just OPFOR half of the fleet and run a full scale mock battle. After a few moments of thinking about it he decided that it was time to see how they would fare with a ‘proper’ fight and not one with a preplanned outcome like the usual drills the admiralty liked to run.

He brought up the fleet’s manifest and wondered on how he should split the sides for the mock battle, he could just have the computer split the fleet in half and give each side roughly equal capabilities but that didn’t feel right. They had to be able to adapt on the fly against the unknown and if he was to see how the fleet’s officers adapted then that would mean that the drills themselves had to reflect that.

Four Super-Battleships, eighteen battleships, six carriers, forty heavy cruisers, sixty missile cruisers and ninety two destroyers. Should I also count the auxiliaries? No, not yet. Let’s see how they handle a fight before putting the auxiliaries in.
He thought before sighing at the fleet’s disposition itself, an armada that was about as strong as the entire Orgus fleet if the reports from the refugees were correct; it should be strong enough to impress either of the two combatant and it was small enough to not be irreplaceable to the fleet at large. To an outsider observer it would represent humanity’s martial might but to him it represented everything wrong with the TCA and the cancerous corruption that helped build the entire TCA fleet.

Shaking these thoughts away he focused himself back to the mock fight he wanted to run. He had plenty of ideas he wanted to try, especially now that he had free reign to try and break the established doctrine. In fact he had selected his staff from officers that were all to happy to do just that.

“My adjutant.” He whispered as he tapped the button on his suit’s sleeve.

“Yes admiral?” The holographic image of lieutenant Anders appeared in front of him.

“Have you, Captain Nahamura and Commander Bailey come up with anything about the assignment I gave you?”

“Yes sir, we have come up with some unorthodox tricks to try out in a simulation.” The lieutenant replied.

“Good, I want to set up a mock battle between all available warships of the fleet; you three are to organize both sides while keeping what you want to try in mind.” Admiral Jardin ordered.

“A mock battle sir? Not a simulation against an A.I.?”

“Yes, a mock battle. It’s about time we have one of those without some moron in the admiralty having decided the outcome before the drill even started.” He replied at that.

“Yes sir. When should we schedule it to start?”

“In two hours.” He replied before remembering something. “Did the politicians give up yet?”

“No sir, all four of them have again requested a personal meeting with you at your earliest convenience.” He let out a sight at that.

“They are fully intent on giving me a headache aren’t they?”

“Yes sir.”

“Fine, tell all of them to come meet me at my cabin in 20 minutes.” He said at that.

“All of them sir?”

“Don’t tell any of them that other three are invited as well.” He instructed at that.

“Yes sir, politician meeting at your cabin in twenty minutes.” The lieutenant acknowledged and closed the channel.

“Captain Kirkland.” He said to draw the attention of Vanguard’s Captain as he stood up.

“Yes sir?” Captain Kirkland replied as he stood from his station in turn.

“I will be indisposed for the next hour and a half; the fleet will receive today’s combat exercise orders from my staff.”

“Yes sir.” Ellen’s grandson acknowledged. Ellen, much like him, didn’t want any of her children and grandchildren to join the TCA. Some of them did anyway, if only out of spite. He wondered if she had cursed herself for retiring all those years ago when the news of the Orgus refugees and the war they warned about reached her. They had both joined the TCA scout corps at the same time almost a century before but she elected to retire when the TCA started to turn into the mess it was today; now he was the one leading the contact expedition and she was blissfully retired on one of the garden worlds they had discovered, probably living in a town named after one of their ships or something like that.

You made the right call Ellen.
He thought as he returned the salutes of the two marines that were standing guard right beside the bridge’s blast doors.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:02 pm

dragoongfa wrote:
Four Super-Battleships, eighteen battleships, six carriers, forty heavy cruisers, sixty missile cruisers and ninety two destroyers. Should I also count the auxiliaries?

Huh, not bad for a Contact mission, eh? A bit of a "Vulcan hello", one could say. Do I see it right, that we, as in the TCA, do not come in peace? :D

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:16 am

Officially the contact mission is meant to emphasize humanity's desire to remain neutral and the TCA's preparedness and willingness to enforce said neutrality by any means necessary. Unofficially?

Admiral Alexander Jardin will seek to give humanity exactly what humanity needs at the moment.

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:25 am

Quote:
Admiral Alexander Jardin will seek to give humanity exactly what humanity needs at the moment.

Is that plundering technology or did mankind catch up already?

And sweet mother of god, can you imagine the numbers involved after a century of wartime production and expansion of industrial capacity with the Loroi and Umiak?

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:52 am

In this story humanity is roughly equivalent with the tech of the two combatants, ahead in certain areas, behind in others.

As far as weapons go the tech was focused on particle cannons and torpedo/missile technology; with the added human niche of the mass use of 'smart' drones in lieu of manned fighter craft.

The TCA tends to go big and over engineered in its capital fleet, big Battleships and Super-Battleships backed by a solid backbone of Heavy Cruisers while screened by up-armed missile cruisers and destroyers. Numbers wise the combined TCA and colonial fleets should outnumber the Loroi and fall a little short to the Hierarchy fleets; the chief issue being a well established distrust of the various colonies towards Earth and the TCA. The reasons of this buildup are simple in their usual human way; following the discovery of several defunct and ancient alien artifacts alongside evidence of widespread orbital bombardment dating back hundreds of thousands of years the TCA elected to field enough warships to be in a position to combat a possible 'alien menace' despite the fact that humanity had yet to make first contact and all the evidence they found showed that no space faring race had visited the area of human expansion for 250.000 years.

This armament of the TCA sparked what is best described as an orgy of armament procurement and research; fueled and sustained by the combined military industrial complexes of Earth and later the various colonies. With no enemy in sight humanity built weapons and ships not just in case but because it was in the best interests of certain influential groups. In the end the combined military industrial complex of Earth and its colonies ended up fueling the mutual distrust between Earth and the thriving colonies, both seeing the continuing armament of the other as preparation for either an impending rebellion or a coup depending on who you asked.

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:44 pm

Did the Umiak Loroi war start in this story at the same time it started in the comic?

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:53 pm

No, the human calendar is simply +100; humans advanced 100 extra years, the rest are the same. All things considered I think that humanity advanced a little too quickly to get where they are but I wanted to have a bitter old Alex trying to do what he thinks is best with the hand he has been dealt.

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:55 pm

dragoongfa wrote:
No, the human calendar is simply +100; humans advanced 100 extra years, the rest are the same. All things considered I think that humanity advanced a little too quickly to get where they are but I wanted to have a bitter old Alex trying to do what he thinks is best with the hand he has been dealt.

Some of those alien artifacts may have helped as well, not only as an inspiration but for reverse engineering. Especially if said artifacts had been found in space where only some meteors may threaten the hull of old ships and bases. They could be old wrecks thou but still.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]