[RP]Cydonia Rising (OOC)

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Roeben

Re: [RP]Cydonia Rising (OOC)

Post by Roeben »

I guess that's a yes.

Main topics: Crisis Management, Alternative History, First Contact, Possible Extinction Level Events. Ronald Reagan. Not necessarily in that order.

not spoiling more for now since i'm working on a background and storyline with Carl and things are going to change for sure.

Senanthes

Post by Senanthes »

Charlie wrote:
sunphoenix wrote:Yeah...details? :)
Senanthes wrote:Details? :)
Details? :)
Details... ECHO! O.o

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Hi there!
Out of curiosity: We are now a bit more players (again) and I am thinking about a way to introduce our newest player character. So, would you like to skip those trainings and the three days and directly board the station or should we play them?
However we decide: please take a look at BESM fighting rules.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Roeben

Post by Roeben »

Personally i'd say make a timeskip, start with the operation briefing.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Well, that was exactly what I had in mind. What do the others think?
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I'm cool for whatever works best for Suederwind's story consistency and plot speed.

Though some personal time to Sit and "Talk" between Charlie and Sonnidezi would have been nice in the format of 'a few days of training and personal interaction'... but I think its time for there to be some REAL ACTION in the story to develop and punctuate the relationship between the characters.... not just Sonni and Charlie.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Roeben

Post by Roeben »

Personally, I think the two should be combined. I find it somewhat amusing that two "warriors" develop an entire relationship before the story even gets underway. I much prefer a character changing and relationships with other party members form over the long term, or in face of extreme adversity.

Just my two ct's. You might want to leave stuff up in the air so you'll have more to do later.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

I think it would be best to skip forward a bit. Would be best for the story and the characters. Roebens character will be introduced then, too.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Beliskner

Post by Beliskner »

As you wish. Although I will make larger post today for my character about his preparations to the briefing.

Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I'm down for whatever comes.
Join the Marines, See the Universe, Meet fascinating races, Kill them, Kill them all.
Newsreel announcer: They're doing their part. Are you? Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

@ Roeben whats your rank?

I would think Ensign or Lieutenant (junior grade) would be about right. Not really sure.
No sorcery lies beyond my grasp. - Rubick, the Grand Magus

Roeben

Post by Roeben »

I have no idea. Something low ranked. More of a support role in the military scale of things.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

I hereby declare that your character has the rank of Ensign (O-1).
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

As where everyone is: the player characters (as well as some red sh... I mean NPCs) are on the shuttlebay. Checking their gear for the last time, getting ready, etc...
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

how armor look like:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... sault3.png with closed wedge visor
Humans are at TL 9 going on 10, right? Here is the TL 10 lvl battlesuit from GURPS:

Commando Battlesuit (TL10)
This is a lightweight, agile, form-fitting powered armor
suit. It may be popular with commandos, SWAT
teams, or costumed heroes.
Its exoskeleton gives +15 to Lifting and
Striking ST and Super Jump 2. Biomedical sensors
(p. 187) and a waste relief system (p. 187) are
standard features. The suit’s surface has infrared
cloaking (p. 99), radar stealth (p. 100), and a tactical
ESM (p. 62).
The helmet comes with a filter mask (p. 177),
an inertial compass (p. 74), hearing protection
(p. 171), a small radio (p. 44), a small laser comm
(p. 44), and a hyperspectral visor (p. 61). The helmet
has olfactory and audio sensors so the user
can hear and smell outside the suit.
With the helmet locked down the suit is sealed,
providing climate control (absolute zero to 500°F),
pressure support (20 atm.), radiation protection (PF 10),
and vacuum support. It has a large air tank (p. 176) with 36
hours of air at TL10. In a contaminated but breathable
atmosphere, it can operate using the filter mask.

It's basically Samus Aran's form fitting power suit but I have also seen it used as Space Marine power armor in a Dark Heresy conversion for GURPS. At TL 10 Humans might also have plasma guns:

Heavy Plasma Gun (TL10^): Favored by powered troopers
as an assault rifle, or as a squad support weapon, this is
one of the most devastating portable TL10 beam weapons.

or at the very least

Assault Flamer (TL9^): This rifle-sized plasma weapon is
often used by armored infantry involved in spaceship
boarding actions and house-to-house fighting.

I do not know how you guys are doing your weapons tech from, but since everything I have seen so far in the Outsiderverse is found in GURPS, I would love to see some folks going a little more expensive here. This mission has the funding of the entire Terran federation, they would not send in sub-par weapons, armor or personal.

Unless they were attempting to lure any potential enemy in closer by putting out obsolete weapons and gear. So that might be a thing as well, I dunno. That is certainly my opinion of what the Bellarmine was, a lure.

Charlie

Post by Charlie »

The problem with those two weapons is one of back blast. All weapons of today and yesterday follow one rule. if they can be effective through enemy armor they are thusly effective on your own.

That being said, the barer of these arms could simply stand at the front.

I think the "normal" Armor systems that the rank a file use will be similar, just less advanced. Mainly that it`s unpowered.
No sorcery lies beyond my grasp. - Rubick, the Grand Magus

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

The problem with those two weapons is one of back blast.
I would expect that both weapons back blasts would be non-existent before they even got off the drawing board, let alone into mass production. This is a Science fiction setting, plasma weapons have been stated to exist by the creator, these are some from GURPS that would be available at this TL. If there is any Back blast, I would expect the armor to provide more than adequate protection against days, possibly even weeks of back blasting, or even a catastrophic system failure on the weapon's power cells.
All weapons of today and yesterday follow one rule. if they can be effective through enemy armor they are thusly effective on your own.
So... I do not understand, we should not use tanks, attack helicopters and F-22's in modern combat because they have the possibility of committing friendly fire on our own troops? There was a software program in GURPS somewhere that connected the entire squad's weapons on a Friend or Foe system and did not allow them to shoot each other by accident, is that what you mean?
I think the "normal" Armor systems that the rank a file use will be similar, just less advanced. Mainly that it`s unpowered.
These are not rank and file marines, these are the best of the best, armed with the best, armored with the best, trained by the best, with the best funding that 6 planets can provide to save humanity from extinction (possibly a seventh if that missing colony ship on the Terran Ships Insider page is any indicator ;)). I demand crazy armor from science fiction! We already have some in the form of what the Loroi prance around in on a day-to-day basis. hot hot hot

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

LOLS! Welcome to the discussion Greyhome! :)

I'm still writing my post.. trying {likely failing} to be concise... but Greyhome has a point all the gear the Loroi are using is appropriate for their TL 10...11ish Tech Level.

There is no Reason at all the humans won't have their 'best foot forward either. But I do get the feeling that humanity is more TL8 with their 'relatively' newly produced stardrives being the start of their progression to TL9! :)

But remember at TL8 you STILL have Laser - Pistol, Rifle... though with bulky power packs possible I believe... 'Akria'-Style laser rifles. However, bang-for-bang the the Rocket Carbine, and Assault Carbine have a bigger punch than the first reliable field use laser weapons. And they are Much cheaper to make and mass produce... plus more shots! With indeed Light APEX ammo! :)

Though Gauss weapons and Gyroc are also available... and just as deadly if not moreso than expensive ... somewhat more fragile laser weaponry.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

It is TL 9 going on TL 10 for humanity as stated by Arioch, I do not believe that a TL 8 society (even upper tier TL 8) has access to colonization technology. Humans can have some very impressive toys for their "primitive" TL, they are simply more expensive.

And that does not even begin to cover the genetic, cybernetic and surgical mods that would be standard issue for the like of warship serving elite marines, at their TL I would expect Combat Reflexes, Very Rapid Healing, High Pain Threshold, Fearless lvl 5 to all be must haves.
Last edited by Grayhome on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Thats interesting .. then humans they should have blasters as well and be well into particle beam technology. So why is the particle beam cannon on the 'America' so.. experimental? They should not be using Railguns as ship weapons anymore...lol!

[EDIT:]
Oh.. I see..

http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/tech_level.html

It's slightly different in the Outsider Universe.. TL10 is blasters
Last edited by sunphoenix on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

At TL 10 Humans should also have primitive ship-mounted plasma weapons, but they would be bulky, expensive and not as efficient as the miniaturized version of Gauss Cannons, Remember in Master of Orion 2, weapons of a lower TL were more effective because they were smaller and more could be fitted onto a ship with greater modifications than higher TL weapons. Cheaper too, if memory serves, I have to play MOO 2 again sometime soon, a great game I just got on GOG.com.