Favicon

If you have issues or comments about the forums or website, post them here.
SVlad

Favicon

Post by SVlad »

It's just me or site favicon is reseted to default yahoo!?
https://well-of-souls.com/favicon.ico

Krulle

Re: Favicon

Post by Krulle »

i don't see one anyway, but that may be my Chrome browser.

Also, i think the yahoo bar (if you have it installed) sets it for all websites that don't define one to the Y!

Edit: nope, I do see one,the arching symbol.
Chrome just doesn't have it next to the address bar, but only on the tabs.
I see the forum one correctly.
Also on well-of-souls.com (no subsite).
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I noticed that in the browser, was wondering what had happened. Looks like yahoo may be pulling some shenanigans.

I'll see what happens when I replace them.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Sigh... looks like the yahoo server is serving its own icon, and not the one I have uploaded.

I'll get into it.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I just setup new PCs (last week), and all of them show the correct favicon in the tabs of Chrome.

I alas don't know how to get the link to the favicon....

Anyway, good luck!

Edit: started Edge to see if that works too. So far only used to download Chrome...
Had even to visit google and duckduckgo first to be able to switch the preferred search engine. (Bing gives usually rubbish results for Europeans, even DuckDuckGo is better.)
And indeed, Edge shows the Y! icon.

Hmm, this forum version has no files upload... :(
Here they are, how I get them shown:
Chrome: Image (on forum page: "Well of Souls forum", but same icon shows for homepage)
Edge: Image (on home page: "Arioch's Well of Souls")

(images might get deleted after a month or so. Not a permanent file hoster anyway, but for this sufficient)

Sounds like all is correctly set, and that it's just once again the result of non-W3C compliance of MS browsers.

I did a quick search for this, and found entries in the range from last week, and 2013. All of them the same issue, that Internet Explorer/Edge does not handle the favicons correctly, while Chrome, Firefox,.. do handle them correctly.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

In Mobile Chrome I also see y! icon. Also in chromium (Vivaldi).

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I'm seeing the purple icon in both Chrome and Edge (I did see the correct icon on the forums yesterday, but I'm seeing the wrong one today). It's not just the default favicon.ico; also on other pages which have different icons explicitly specified (like https://well-of-souls.com/civ/ ), the icons aren't showing up. There was a recent update to Chrome, but this couldn't have affected Edge.

I spent the better part of an hour wrangling with a customer service rep, and she was seeing the purple icon too... so I don't see how it could be a browser issue. (Unsurprisingly, she was unable to help with the issue.)

I know that icons are a little screwy in browsers... they don't always update in a timely manner and don't respond to hard refresh... but there's no reason this change should have happened in the first place.

When I have a chance, I'll modify pages to use an explicit icon rather than a default, but it's not clear whether that will have an effect.