Can't load website homepage

If you have issues or comments about the forums or website, post them here.
Tamren

Can't load website homepage

Post by Tamren »

When I tried to visit the site just now Firefox came up with a malicious website warning and said that the problem was a "bad cert domain" where the website certificate points to somewhere else. It was some kind of "hosting.com" URL but when I went back to take a picture of it I didn't get the warning a second time. Instead it now says the front page is only partially secure despite being https and things like images are unsecure, also half of the images don't load and are just empty frames.

Tamren

Re: Can't load website homepage

Post by Tamren »

Actually it just happened again when I tried to reload this page. Full message:

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to well-of-souls.com. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the website, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem.

Learn more…

Websites prove their identity via certificates. Firefox does not trust this site because it uses a certificate that is not valid for well-of-souls.com. The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.secure.hostingprod.com, secure.hostingprod.com

Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

View Certificate

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Can't load website homepage

Post by Arioch »

There appears to be some kind of intermittent issue where the browser detects a mismatch between the domain of the website and the domain of the SSL certificate. I see it occasionally on Chrome, but it only flashes for a fraction of a second before the browser seems to resolve the issue. I have also seen cases where individual images don't load. I have received a number of reports of this error from users of other browsers, though most agree that it is intermittent.

I have checked the SSL certificate and it is valid; there is no security danger to anyone visiting the site (not that site site asks for sensitive information like credit card numbers anyway). My best guess is that there is some kind of delay to the domain forwarding that's happening either at the domain provider or the website host. If the issue persists, I'll get into it with them, but I can already foresee that this will most likely be an unproductive exercise of shrugging, finger-pointing and eye-rolling. If need be, ultimately the last option is to change hosting, but I probably don't need to tell you that I'm not thrilled about opening that particular can of worms.

But in any case, I'm aware of the issue, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't represent any kind of security breach.