Well of Souls Forums
https://www.well-of-souls.com/forums/

Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread
https://www.well-of-souls.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=883
Page 29 of 42

Author:  Suederwind [ Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Quote:
A rogue human nation that started to build a spacefleet would come under immediate pressure to join into and abide by the TCA rules.


So, no North Korean space navy? ;) Jokes aside: how would the TCA react to such a threat?

Quote:
they are sharply limited in size, number, and capability


Could you tell us a bit more about those limits? How many ships would a human superpower typically have, how big are they allowed to be, what kind of weapons would be allowed, et... ?
Are conflicts between sucht national space navies and the TCA usual and how are they resolved, if the happen?
Are civilian companies allowed to send FTL vessels for exploration or is that handled exclusively by the TCA?

Author:  Arioch [ Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Suederwind wrote:
Quote:
A rogue human nation that started to build a spacefleet would come under immediate pressure to join into and abide by the TCA rules.

So, no North Korean space navy? ;) Jokes aside: how would the TCA react to such a threat?

Probably in a similar manner to that in which the United States and the international community has reacted to the development of nuclear weapons by North Korea and Iran: diplomatic pressure, economic sanctions, and the ultimate threat of force.

Fortunately, construction in orbit is impossible to conceal, and very vulnerable to attack. Unlike nuclear warhead development, that can be moved underground and dispersed.

Suederwind wrote:
Could you tell us a bit more about those limits? How many ships would a human superpower typically have, how big are they allowed to be, what kind of weapons would be allowed, et... ?

They're police forces, not space navies, and the allocation is by system, not by nation. There is no "territory" in space around a multinational planet, and so any police force patrolling the space around a multinational planet must be multinational. There is no "American" space fleet. The United States is a participant in a multinational Earth-Mars system police force. How such a force is made up and controlled is a local matter, out of the jurisdiction of the TCA. In the Earth-Mars system, the police force is broken up into divisions based at each planet.

Police frigates are usually under 200m in length, and are limited in number according the amount of traffic that they have to regulate. The Earth-Mars system would obviously require a much larger police force than remote Esperanza.

Suederwind wrote:
Are conflicts between sucht national space navies and the TCA usual

No. As with local police, county sheriffs, state police, state militia and federal military, there may be jurisdictional disputes, but there is almost never armed conflict. The potential for conflict in the early unregulated colonial period between the various competing colonial authorities and individual nations is what led to the formation of the TCA, and this treaty was successful in averting such conflict.

Suederwind wrote:
Are civilian companies allowed to send FTL vessels for exploration or is that handled exclusively by the TCA?

All FTL spacecraft must be licensed through the TCA. Private exploration is possible, but it must be authorized. Exploration and colonization is a very expensive and dangerous proposition. Most such activity is done as a joint venture between individual actors and the Scout Corps. A sufficiently funded lone wolf entity might take vessels licensed for something else and use them for independent exploration or even colonization, but they would do so without the support of the TCA or any licensed shipping, and any fruits of such unauthorized exploration (such as territorial claims) would not be recognized by the international community.

Author:  Hālian [ Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Shame on you for not allowing a grossly oversized United States Space Force. :P

Author:  RedDwarfIV [ Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Carl Miller wrote:
Shame on you for not allowing a grossly oversized United States Space Force. :P

Or a Royal Space Force, even if it's only job is defending the British Outerspace Territitory of Triton (we saw it first, it's ours).

Author:  Hālian [ Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

*captures a loroi warship and renames it the USS Delaware*

Author:  Mr.Tucker [ Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Would a TCA warship be more resilient to critical damage that would cause a reactor explosion, since they rely on fusion technology rather than Tamat (antimatter?) reactors? Would a Terran ship in Winter Tide 's situation catastrophically explode as well?

Author:  Arioch [ Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

A fusion reactor would most likely quit when damaged, but there still might be issues with fuel containment or lack of adequate cooling afterwards. However, any explosion would be a chemical explosion rather than a thermonuclear explosion.

Author:  RedDwarfIV [ Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

That is one of the happy good points of fusion reactors. If you breach containment, the plasma cools, and fusion stops. They just don't explode.


Well, unless you' have a literal star-in-a-box type reactor, like the ones from Honor Harrington. But those require higher technology than we have, in the HH-verse case, gravity manipulation. Basically, when containment fails on a HH-verse fusion bottle, that means the gravity system keeping the 'star' small fails. Then the star goes big.

I imagine the reason they use that system is because they'd need high energy output to run the impeller drives.

But yeah, fusion reactors safe, antimatter reactors inherently unstable. Yet another reason why merchant vessels would be better off using fusion engines.

Author:  Mr.Tucker [ Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

RedDwarfIV wrote:
Well, unless you' have a literal star-in-a-box type reactor, like the ones from Honor Harrington.

Interestingly enough, that description would match a polywell device very nicely. Though it would have none of the described dangerously unstable characteristics of the HH reactors. Just and interesting side-note :) . Now on to my question:
Mjolnir modules are noted as being power-hungry. They're fed off capacitor banks. Are those capacitor banks part of the module itself (which is what would make it modular in the first place; the vessel just supplies power) or are they the ships' own, regular, banks (with the module being just a BFG)?

Author:  Arioch [ Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Mr.Tucker wrote:
Mjolnir modules are noted as being power-hungry. They're fed off capacitor banks. Are those capacitor banks part of the module itself (which is what would make it modular in the first place; the vessel just supplies power) or are they the ships' own, regular, banks (with the module being just a BFG)?

The weapon has its own capacitors. I think this would be necessary to avoid overloading the energy transmission infrastructure of a ship that wasn't designed for it.

Author:  dragoongfa [ Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

TCA question:

Are the dress TCA uniforms we see at the prologue and at the flashback full dress uniforms (worn at official gatherings) or duty dress uniforms (worn when on duty)?

It's obvious that there are no rank insignia on them so I guess that they are duty uniforms. If so, do you have a preliminary concept for a full dress uniform?

Also will Alex have the opportunity to ask his 'hosts' for a uniform that resembles a TCA dress uniform? Despite his lack of respect for military protocol being solely in a work uniform in such a situation would bother a lot of officers, especially ones who went through a top notch military academy.

Author:  Arioch [ Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

dragoongfa wrote:
Are the dress TCA uniforms we see at the prologue and at the flashback full dress uniforms (worn at official gatherings) or duty dress uniforms (worn when on duty)? It's obvious that there are no rank insignia on them so I guess that they are duty uniforms. If so, do you have a preliminary concept for a full dress uniform?

The Scout Corps dress uniform is that seen worn by Alex and the other junior officers in the flashback at the beginning of Chapter 2: it's just the duty uniform with the addition of a jacket and a dickie. It's possible that the Scout Corps might also have a "full-dress uniform" for more formal occasions, but it's not something that we'll see in the comic.

The Colonial Fleet uniforms are different, a bit snazzier and with ranks more prominently displayed. The Colonial Fleet dress uniform looks something like this.

dragoongfa wrote:
Also will Alex have the opportunity to ask his 'hosts' for a uniform that resembles a TCA dress uniform? Despite his lack of respect for military protocol being solely in a work uniform in such a situation would bother a lot of officers, especially ones who went through a top notch military academy.

The eventual deterioration and replacement of Alex's only set of clothing is something that will be addressed.

Author:  Grayhome [ Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

This has probably already been answered, but how long was it after the Bellarmine jumped into the system before it was fired upon?

Author:  Sweforce [ Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Arioch wrote:
The eventual deterioration and replacement of Alex's only set of clothing is something that will be addressed.


The "artifacts" collected from the wrecked Bellarmine may actually include all he needs.

Author:  Zakharra [ Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Sweforce wrote:
Arioch wrote:
The eventual deterioration and replacement of Alex's only set of clothing is something that will be addressed.


The "artifacts" collected from the wrecked Bellarmine may actually include all he needs.



It would be very amusing if the clothing was clothes from the female crew members. In all likelihood though, there is likely a selection from male and female crew members. Whether it fits him will be something else and I can see the Loroi making him outfits that both fits him and matches his current outfit, as well as a dress uniform or three.

Author:  kclcmdr [ Mon May 11, 2015 5:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Has Alex yet to think or even inquire with his Lorei handler on whether his hosts had salvage any clothing or stuff from his starship other than his deceased comrades that were undoubtedly autopsied for any planted artifacts from their Umiask foes...?

He's got a more or less friendly face with him now that might help him out on a change of clothing...

Author:  Grayhome [ Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

What religion does Alex believe in?

Author:  Arioch [ Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

kclcmdr wrote:
Has Alex yet to think or even inquire with his Lorei handler on whether his hosts had salvage any clothing or stuff from his starship other than his deceased comrades that were undoubtedly autopsied for any planted artifacts from their Umiask foes...?

It hasn't yet made it to the top of his list of important items.

Grayhome wrote:
What religion does Alex believe in?

Alex isn't religious.

Author:  Grayhome [ Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

What causes jump sickness? Why are the Loroi and Barsam immune/resistant to it?

Author:  Arioch [ Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Grayhome wrote:
What causes jump sickness?

This is not well understood. The inertial damping field protects the passenger from the discomfort of the gravitational passage into hyperspace (which would be lethal without such protection), so it shouldn't be the same as motion sickness or space sickness, and yet it has similar symptoms and characteristics. It seems as though there is some quality to being in hyperspace, even for a short moment, that is distressing to the nervous system.

Grayhome wrote:
Why are the Loroi and Barsam immune/resistant to it?

No one knows for certain, but it seems reasonable to infer that they are both descended from ancestors who did a lot of interstellar travel, and would benefit from such resistance.

Author:  Grayhome [ Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Quote:
No one knows for certain, but it seems reasonable to infer that they are both descended from ancestors who did a lot of interstellar travel, and would benefit from such resistance.


Are the Delrias/Morat, who are also descendants of interstellar empires that did alot of FTL travel, also resistant/immune to FTL jump sickness?

Author:  Arioch [ Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Grayhome wrote:
Quote:
No one knows for certain, but it seems reasonable to infer that they are both descended from ancestors who did a lot of interstellar travel, and would benefit from such resistance.

Are the Delrias/Morat, who are also descendants of interstellar empires that did alot of FTL travel, also resistant/immune to FTL jump sickness?

No, but neither are they especially susceptible to it.

Author:  junk [ Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

This does bring a different question. Has humanity developed any pharmaceuticals which help to negate or even prevent jump sickness?
And in the case it has, what about other species which feel it.

Author:  Arioch [ Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

junk wrote:
This does bring a different question. Has humanity developed any pharmaceuticals which help to negate or even prevent jump sickness?
And in the case it has, what about other species which feel it.

There are drugs which mitigate the symptoms, but they do so by essentially tranquilizing the subject. They are generally not used by professional human spacers (as they are partially or wholly incapacitating), only by passengers.

Other species can use similar drugs. The of the Umiak disadvantages is that because of their susceptibility to jump sickness, a large portion of the crew has to be tranq'ed up, and so Umiak ships operate at a reduced efficiency shortly after jump.

Author:  GeoModder [ Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Arioch wrote:
junk wrote:
Other species can use similar drugs. The of the Umiak disadvantages is that because of their susceptibility to jump sickness, a large portion of the crew has to be tranq'ed up, and so Umiak ships operate at a reduced efficiency shortly after jump.


Do Umiak ships/fleets routinely perform 'shallower' hyperjumps (jumping farther out of the primary) to have time to recover?

Page 29 of 42 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/