Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Hujedamig

Re: Miscellaneous Terran question-and-answer thread

Post by Hujedamig »

As said here on this page before.

How about the sweet scruff Alex would develop some days without a razor?

Edit: double negative...
Last edited by Hujedamig on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Hujedamig wrote:How about the sweet scruff Alex would develop without some days without a razor?
Alex won't be growing a beard. At this tech level it's possible to have treatments that permanently stop facial/body hair growth, and this is probably popular among spacers who don't want the hassle.

Hujedamig

Post by Hujedamig »

Aaaw. That is a not acceptable. Now he is captain. A full beard is to be expected.

And it's a plus if the loroi males don't have any.
Imagine him in a meeting with officials in the loroi empire. Serious talking and the scratching sound from Alex scratching his magnificent facial hair.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Can we have the system specifications of the Orgus refugee vessel? I am curious about it's top speed, acceleration, armor (prolly doesn't have I know) and it's inertial stabilizers.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Inertial Damping... that's what I wanted to ask something about.

Are the gravitational 'stresses' of a jump on a ship higher then what the typical Loroi or Umiak warship would perform in combat manoeuvers (meaning constant lateral thrust to avoid incoming ordnance and beams)?

Just wondering if there's a huge performance gap in Terran and Loroi/Umiak Inertial Damping technology.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I know that I'm a little bit late to the discussion here, but I would like to propose a different scenario for human population growth and food consumption.

The Introduction, Increase, and Crash of Reindeer on St. Matthew Island

Coming from the highly agricultural state of Iowa, I feel confident in making the claim that the world's agricultural situation is much more complicated than seed giants like Monsanto would like people to think. We have yet to see another breakthrough like hybrid corn, and we are seeing rapid worldwide depletion of water and soil resources.

In spite of massive conservation efforts, a recent study published by ISU in 2012 showed that soil erosion is actually increasing. Depending on weather variables, large areas of land saw soil erosion rates of over 100 tons per acre over a ten year period. Aquifer depletion has been a well understood phenomenon for decades, but demand for water continues to increase. The Ogallala aquifer supplies 70% of the water used in Kansas, for example, and is becoming unusable at a rate of about 6% ever 25 years. When underground water resources dry out, there will be major agricultural problems. In areas of northern China, the water table has been dropping as fast as 1.5 meters per year, thanks to agricultural depletion. Modern agriculture also relies heavily on synthetic fertilizers, which in turn relies heavily on non-renewable fossil fuels.

I'm not saying that the prediction of human population on Earth is impossible, especially with fusion power, but you would likely need a massive hydroponic infrastructure to accomplish that.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Grayhome wrote:Can we have the system specifications of the Orgus refugee vessel? I am curious about it's top speed, acceleration, armor (prolly doesn't have I know) and it's inertial stabilizers.
I don't have any information on that at present.
GeoModder wrote:Are the gravitational 'stresses' of a jump on a ship higher then what the typical Loroi or Umiak warship would perform in combat manoeuvers (meaning constant lateral thrust to avoid incoming ordnance and beams)? Just wondering if there's a huge performance gap in Terran and Loroi/Umiak Inertial Damping technology.
I'm going on the assumption that the primary limitations on maneuverability are all about how much thrust the engines can produce, and that the structure of the ship is designed to handle it. It's possible that inertial damping might play a role in that equation (using a structural integrity field might allow for less physical structure and therefore lighter weight), but it's not the determining factor; Terran vessels are limited to ~6G acceleration because of lack of engine power, not because of limitations of their inertial dampers.

But to answer your question, I think the stresses of jump transition would be significantly more than the ~6G acceleration stress on a Terran ship. Since 6G is very survivable (for short periods), whereas a hyperspace jump without inertial dampers is not.
icekatze wrote:I'm not saying that the prediction of human population on Earth is impossible, especially with fusion power, but you would likely need a massive hydroponic infrastructure to accomplish that.
I think that most people would agree that our current agriculture practices are not very sustainable, but I also think that we already know how to fix these problems and it's just a question of will and resources. I believe that energy and water are going to be among the most critical resources in the next 50 years, but if we're going to imagine a future in which humanity is reaching for the stars, I think we have to give our future selves the benefit of the doubt that over the next 150 years they will be able to solve these problems.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi
I think that most people would agree that our current agriculture practices are not very sustainable, but I also think that we already know how to fix these problems and it's just a question of will and resources.
Sure. I hope I didn't imply that I thought it was unreasonable or impossible. The point I was trying to make is that a solution is probably not going to be our current technology/system scaled up to be bigger, as having more bigger things is going to simply use up the non-renewable things -that the current system relies on- that much faster. It'd probably have to be something conceptually different than what we have today, but like you say, with "will and resources," its feasible. (Where we're going to find the will, I have no idea, but I'm willing to hope that its out there waiting to be tapped.)

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Arioch wrote:I think that most people would agree that our current agriculture practices are not very sustainable, but I also think that we already know how to fix these problems and it's just a question of will and resources. I believe that energy and water are going to be among the most critical resources in the next 50 years, but if we're going to imagine a future in which humanity is reaching for the stars, I think we have to give our future selves the benefit of the doubt that over the next 150 years they will be able to solve these problems.
MOST issues are a matter of will. Especially in the current day when the data, technology and history needed to predict issues and determine good answers to them are available. Special interests and lack of will prevent actual resolutions though.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

fredgiblet wrote:Special interests and lack of will prevent actual resolutions though.
Or opposing wills (which may fall under special interests I guess ;) ).

Jakelope13

Post by Jakelope13 »

Since the Scout Corps is all about deep space exploration (especially with having to find out where the Loroi/Umiak are) did the Bellarmine have an onboard Astrographics section? To map out new/nearby systems, designate Jump zones, and the like?

For that matter, how long would it take a Terran vessel to figure out a system's Jump zone, and where the corresponding destination lies? Or do the ships perform a blind Jump, then figure out where they landed afterwards?

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

I know that I'm a little bit late to the discussion here, but I would like to propose a different scenario for human population growth and food consumption.

The Introduction, Increase, and Crash of Reindeer on St. Matthew Island

Coming from the highly agricultural state of Iowa, I feel confident in making the claim that the world's agricultural situation is much more complicated than seed giants like Monsanto would like people to think. We have yet to see another breakthrough like hybrid corn, and we are seeing rapid worldwide depletion of water and soil resources.
I too laugh at the thought that Monsanto will be responsible for it (cause let's be serious, this is absolutely not what they do with this particular technology), but within probably the next decade or so we'll be seeing the first genuine delivery on the promise of genetic engineering: increased salt resistance in crops (mostly grain, I think). It's primarily intended for India if I recall correctly, but it's relevant in Australia (where the soils often have an excessive layer of salt not that far beneath them), as well as anywhere that's been using somewhat conventional fertilization schemes for a while.
icekatze wrote:In spite of massive conservation efforts, a recent study published by ISU in 2012 showed that soil erosion is actually increasing. Depending on weather variables, large areas of land saw soil erosion rates of over 100 tons per acre over a ten year period. Aquifer depletion has been a well understood phenomenon for decades, but demand for water continues to increase. The Ogallala aquifer supplies 70% of the water used in Kansas, for example, and is becoming unusable at a rate of about 6% ever 25 years. When underground water resources dry out, there will be major agricultural problems. In areas of northern China, the water table has been dropping as fast as 1.5 meters per year, thanks to agricultural depletion. Modern agriculture also relies heavily on synthetic fertilizers, which in turn relies heavily on non-renewable fossil fuels.
Water is, of course, something that will have to be dealt with. If we had enough pragmatism then we would be taking the first steps in the US right now (I assume by planting large volumes of Mangroves & similar on the shore lines, and building more forests and water retention basins in a "ladder" from there to help carry water inland). Unfortunately we have environmentalists obsessed with hard-fixes on one hand, who instigate the deniers on the other hand, so the people who most want it to get dealt with are responsible for fueling the groundswell that keeps anything from being done. Yay for politics in America.
icekatze wrote:I'm not saying that the prediction of human population on Earth is impossible, especially with fusion power, but you would likely need a massive hydroponic infrastructure to accomplish that.
And how is hydroponics helpful when water supply is one of the big problems ;) ? Actually, one of the elemental fertilizers (phosphorous, I think?) is more of a pressing concern at the moment. It isn't like we'll run out tomorrow, but last I heard, there was really only one source that was being worked, in China, and every other source was underwater.

Arioch wrote:
I think that most people would agree that our current agriculture practices are not very sustainable, but I also think that we already know how to fix these problems and it's just a question of will and resources. I believe that energy and water are going to be among the most critical resources in the next 50 years, but if we're going to imagine a future in which humanity is reaching for the stars, I think we have to give our future selves the benefit of the doubt that over the next 150 years they will be able to solve these problems.
And water can be dealt with via a willingness and ability to expend energy, so there you go.

icekatze wrote:hi hi
I think that most people would agree that our current agriculture practices are not very sustainable, but I also think that we already know how to fix these problems and it's just a question of will and resources.
Sure. I hope I didn't imply that I thought it was unreasonable or impossible. The point I was trying to make is that a solution is probably not going to be our current technology/system scaled up to be bigger, as having more bigger things is going to simply use up the non-renewable things -that the current system relies on- that much faster. It'd probably have to be something conceptually different than what we have today, but like you say, with "will and resources," its feasible. (Where we're going to find the will, I have no idea, but I'm willing to hope that its out there waiting to be tapped.)
My current guess is that all we have to do is keep the mess going on long enough that the situation becomes a constant and blatant slap in everyone's faces, and spontaneously we'll develop the will :twisted: (amazing how that happens when a situation is sufficiently clear). Unfortunately, I think that all we can do is keep the mess going until the situation becomes a constant and blatant slap in everyone's faces, before we'll develop the will :evil: .

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

This has probably been addressed before, so feel free to point me to the answer, but how exactly would Bellarmine have gotten intelligence that "alien activity" was likely in the Naam system? Or was it just the Steppes in general (but the Orgus couldn't have known about that, since they were from the far side of the Umiak Hierarchy, right?

CJSF

Jakelope13

Post by Jakelope13 »

cacambo43 wrote:(...) how exactly would Bellarmine have gotten intelligence that "alien activity" was likely in the Naam system? Or was it just the Steppes in general (...)
I wonder, was there a pool for how long it would take the Bellarmine to make contact?

"Ten bucks says no more than ten systems!"
"Fifteen!"
"Twenty dollars on three systems!"

Makes you wonder if the reason why Alex and Ellen were so chipper was that they had both guessed they'd make contact in five jumps?

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Jakelope13 wrote:Since the Scout Corps is all about deep space exploration (especially with having to find out where the Loroi/Umiak are) did the Bellarmine have an onboard Astrographics section? To map out new/nearby systems, designate Jump zones, and the like?

For that matter, how long would it take a Terran vessel to figure out a system's Jump zone, and where the corresponding destination lies? Or do the ships perform a blind Jump, then figure out where they landed afterwards?
They would have to. My understanding of the FTl tech is that a blind jump means one of two things, either you don't come out at all and spend the rest of eternity in hyperspace, or you comes out at the next major center of mass you hit, if it's not the next system over, your guess is a good as mine where it is. Great way to find new places, bad way to find a specific new place.
Absalom wrote:My current guess is that all we have to do is keep the mess going on long enough that the situation becomes a constant and blatant slap in everyone's faces, and spontaneously we'll develop the will :twisted: (amazing how that happens when a situation is sufficiently clear). Unfortunately, I think that all we can do is keep the mess going until the situation becomes a constant and blatant slap in everyone's faces, before we'll develop the will :evil: .
Most likely, the question is how many people will have to die and how badly will the economy suffer before that fix is implemented though.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

I just wanted to add a link to the whole food/growth discussion. Sadly, it took me a while to find that story again:
Link
Its about some kind of new small computer assisted aeroponic greenhouse (called GrowCube) that you can use in your garage of whatever space you have, or build an indoor farm. I have never read something about aeroponics, but it seems to an interesting, (relatively) new approach, that might be a way to solve some of the worlds food problems.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

cacambo43 wrote:This has probably been addressed before, so feel free to point me to the answer, but how exactly would Bellarmine have gotten intelligence that "alien activity" was likely in the Naam system? Or was it just the Steppes in general (but the Orgus couldn't have known about that, since they were from the far side of the Umiak Hierarchy, right?
That line is not well-worded; in my own defense, it was written 12 years ago. As you note, whatever intelligence Humanity has about the location of Loroi or Umiak activity in the area would not be system-specific. It should go something more like this: "As you know, we have been following this route because Intel indicated a high probability of alien activity."

elorran

Post by elorran »

Alternatively could you not explain that away as having picked up some time delayed "echo" of alien activity. No doubt previous battles and even the burning of the steppes would create some seriously interesting radio noise becoming detectable once the terrans reached a certain point. Even after years of travel it would still give some idea to possible locations.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I don't think it is fair to say that the Orgus couldn't have known about the activity in the steppes region. They did have some limited contact with other aliens. They might have picked up some of the information about the conflict indirectly. They had some knowledge about the Umiak and the Loroi, including their unwillingness to allow third parties to remain neutral, so knowledge about other regions of space is not unthinkable.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

It HAS been 15 years or so since the Steppes were created, so it would make sense that the Orgus would know about it. The Umiak likely told them about the genocide to try and sway them to earlier.