Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 153: You've got Mail! 

Post Page 153: You've got Mail!
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider153.html

Look at that, the trash can is actually a Historian artifact, who would have guessed?

Looking forward to the mirror (Delayed editing)
Reforged (Irregular updates)
The Pale Horse (Completed, could use some editing)

Sun May 05, 2019 9:17 am

Post Re: Page 153: You've got Mail!
hi hi

Hmm... sending a wireless message seems like a bad idea under the current circumstances.

Either way, several minutes is no short break, better call the others back in soon before they get too suspicious. ;)

Sun May 05, 2019 9:30 am
Profile WWW

It depends, the Historians are at the tech level where they have ansible communications:

12 | Spacetime Mastery: reactionless drive, ansible, hyperspace metrics, virtual consciousness

If this is Historian Shenanigans then they may have sent a message that is faster than light and non interceptible by either of the two combatants.

Sun May 05, 2019 9:33 am

But what if Historians actually have faster then light communications?

Even in our world we have some prerequisites for this type of technology.

Sun May 05, 2019 9:44 am

Aw yeah, bromance initiated. What are the chances that the Historians are actually chill dudes who don't plan on betraying anyone?

icekatze wrote:
Hmm... sending a wireless message seems like a bad idea under the current circumstances

That signal doesn't need to be much stronger than current day wifi. It's also inside of a spacecraft that's shielded against radiation. I doubt anything useful reaches the Umiak.

Last edited by Werra on Sun May 05, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 05, 2019 9:51 am

Zorg56 wrote:
But what if Historians actually have faster then light communications?

Even in our world we have some prerequisites for this type of technology.

Ansible is faster than light communications, as to the prerequisites, I gather that the Trash Can looking Historian projector may actually have those prerequisites.

Sun May 05, 2019 9:54 am

I was also thinking of historians.
But they'd need to know exactly the receiving protocols.
And if the historians do know them to a degree they can play tricks on them, Humanity would see itself unable to make a decision that would be guaranteed to be free of outside influence.
Heck, they're about to be annihilated for joining either party, so who cares where the information comes from?

Waiting to see how,this'll play out, a decade from now after chapter 7...

System view Leido Crossroads: page 123

Sun May 05, 2019 10:44 am

For those who want to be inspired to check up the 'trashcan' in its first appearance, check here

Sun May 05, 2019 10:55 am

icekatze wrote:
hi hi

Hmm... sending a wireless message seems like a bad idea under the current circumstances.

Either way, several minutes is no short break, better call the others back in soon before they get too suspicious. ;)

The power used is the key. You don't need much power to talk to a receiver a few meters away (just like how in the real world wifi and bluetooth devices use mere miliWatts), and they are still in a shuttle with it's hull, and shielding for radiation mostly intact. Pretty much the case of unless there is someone nearby, who knows what to look for, whatever radio waves got out of the shuttle hull would be indistinguishable from background radiation.

Sun May 05, 2019 10:58 am

Do you guys think the Historian did just broke the radio silence tryng to connect with iPad 2160 ?

Sun May 05, 2019 11:10 am

Will be one of those cryptic messages about "nothing is what it seems", "don´t trust anyone" or "your cellphone could be a Decepticon in disguise" which usually leaves the protagonist in full paranoid mode? :mrgreen:

Sun May 05, 2019 11:19 am

Onaiom wrote:
Do you guys think the Historian did just broke the radio silence tryng to connect with iPad 2160 ?

Assuming it have been informed that they are now under radio silence.

Beyond that, see my post above about the power requirements of radio.

And IMO, Beryl's warning was more of along the lines of don't activate a distress beacon or similar high powered device, not a complete ban on wifi/bluetooth or similar.

Sun May 05, 2019 11:23 am

The dramatis personae was sneakily updated some time ago :

Quote:
Historian Emissary, a virtual personality construct sent on behalf of the mysterious Historians to communicate with other races and collect information. Remarkably flexible as to what kind of hardware it can inhabit, the Emissary transmits itself from device to device as the situation demands. Unsure of the full capabilities or motives of such constructs, the Loroi are careful to restrict access of their own computer systems.

Sun May 05, 2019 11:53 am
Site Admin

Onaiom wrote:
The dramatis personae was sneakily updated some time ago :

Quote:
Historian Emissary, a virtual personality construct sent on behalf of the mysterious Historians to communicate with other races and collect information. Remarkably flexible as to what kind of hardware it can inhabit, the Emissary transmits itself from device to device as the situation demands. Unsure of the full capabilities or motives of such constructs, the Loroi are careful to restrict access of their own computer systems.

Actually, that's not the bit that changed. That passage has been that way for many years now.

Sun May 05, 2019 11:55 am
Profile WWW

Arioch wrote:
Actually, that's not the bit that changed. That passage has been that way for many years now.

What part did change ?

Sun May 05, 2019 12:01 pm
Site Admin

Onaiom wrote:
What part did change ?

I added dates and places of birth for most of the characters.

Sun May 05, 2019 12:44 pm
Profile WWW

why would an alien construct wish to load up into an IPAD?

Sun May 05, 2019 2:55 pm
Site Admin

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
why would an alien construct wish to load up into an IPAD?

I doubt very much one would. Luckily in 2160, the evil organization known as Apple no longer exists. This particular device was manufactured by a firm called Robin Instruments.

In 2001 when page 8 was first created, there was no such thing as an iPad (or an iPhone), and what we now call a tablet was called a PDA, and the most popular one was by a company called Palm that no one has heard of anymore.

Sun May 05, 2019 3:34 pm
Profile WWW

"A tight fit, especially around the chest..."

Is Alex simply so much bigger than the Loroi females or do they purpose build in a subtle sports-bra in the fabric for added support? Since females are more likely the ones to be wearing spacesuits? Kinda makes sense...

[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Sun May 05, 2019 3:57 pm
Site Admin

sunphoenix wrote:
"A tight fit, especially around the chest..."

Is Alex simply so much bigger than the Loroi females or do they purpose build in a subtle sports-bra in the fabric for added support? Since females are more likely the ones to be wearing spacesuits? Kinda makes sense...

Even if they are roughly the same height, a female will tend to have wider hips but a much smaller chest (even with the addition of breasts) than a male.

(This example is exaggerated, but you get the general idea.)

And no, the thermal liner doesn't have underwear built into it.

Sun May 05, 2019 4:16 pm
Profile WWW

dragoongfa wrote:
It depends, the Historians are at the tech level where they have ansible communications:

12 | Spacetime Mastery: reactionless drive, ansible, hyperspace metrics, virtual consciousness

If this is Historian Shenanigans then they may have sent a message that is faster than light and non interceptible by either of the two combatants.
It would still have to be in a form that the tablet can receive.
Arioch wrote:
In 2001 when page 8 was first created, there was no such thing as an iPad (or an iPhone), and what we now call a tablet was called a PDA, and the most popular one was by a company called Palm that no one has heard of anymore.

Heh, has something changed regarding the latest plot point and the device itself over the years due to that?

Sun May 05, 2019 5:07 pm
Site Admin

Whale wrote:
Heh, has something changed regarding the latest plot point and the device itself over the years due to that?

Nah, just saying that at the time I thought I was being really clever by calling it a "pad" (this being a play on "PDA"). Little did I know that 9 years later Apple would spoil the whole thing. And so it galls me a little bit when people refer to it as an "IPAD".

In case you haven't guessed, I'm not really a fan of Apple or its products (or some of its customers, truth be told). ;)

Sun May 05, 2019 5:48 pm
Profile WWW

hi hi

Detecting emissions is a relationship between the strength of the source and the sensitivity of the receiver. I would wager that if the Umiak are still dealing with the space station, there's a decent chance they aren't even looking too closely at the debris. If the station is totally finished... well, I suppose it might depend on the composition and disposition of the Umiak deep jump fleet, whether they're going to able, or even try, to search for a needle in a haystack.

Sun May 05, 2019 8:32 pm
Profile WWW

Luckily none of the crewmembers have any brain implants. Reading Revelation Space has trained me to be highly suspicious of any AI that can casually copy itself about.

Sun May 05, 2019 8:51 pm

First, obviously the Historian AI managed to decrypt the tablet, figure out communication frequences and protocols on an alien device and whatnot. That might be reasonable. But it begs the question... did it share its knowledge with the Loroi? If it did, Beryl would have been untruthful when she referred to the devices as "unknown".

Second, the AI can "fake" being in standby and be aware of the surroundings. It waited until Alex was alone. And I'm quite sure it would have checked for hidden cameras and listening devices as well. Good thing to know.

Third, how did the Historian AI end up on the shuttle, too? I'm sure it wasn't on the original passenger roster.

Fourth, we can be pretty sure the AI already learned everything worthwile about the humans. It's reasonable to assume that it downloaded everything from the tablet, and others, and maybe what remained of Bellarmine computer core, if it went to work back on the Tempest.

Yep, it more and more looks like the Historians have their own agenda and maybe some "helpers" inside the rest of the Union.

The contents of the message? It could be a warning - either cryptic or a clear one - that things are not as they seem to be, or it could be an offer Alex would be hard pressed to refuse, and one the Loroi shouldn't know about.

In addition, the AI seems to put a lot of trust that Alex's Lotai will hold for the time being. What use would be a clandestine message if any Loroi could lift it from his mind?

Sun May 05, 2019 11:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next