Reply to topic  [ 4183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 ... 168  Next
Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread 

Post Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread
Sweforce wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Large guilds will have communal creches, but small companies or self-employed individuals may take a more personal role in child rearing.

We then get to the question of how a self employed loroi get the right to breed.

My impression is that Loroi societies on average prefer to avoid self-employed people if possible- the organisation of labor into 'guilds' by default is suggestive.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:04 pm
Site Admin

SVlad wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Most civilian females were born to warrior mothers, but quit or failed the trials, and so most of her fellow guild members will be of no relation to her.

Doesn't it have negative impact on whole civilian business?
It sounds like most civilians feels themselves as losers, who was born to be a proud warriors, but failed exams and doomed to a shameful civil work. What does motivate them to work, if whatever they do, they will remain second-class people?

Well, first of all, Loroi society is not designed to produce the optimal worker. It is designed to produce the optimal warrior.

But this is like asking: what was the motivation of common-born people in England to work, when they can never become aristocrats, and so they will always be second-class citizens? The answer is the same as everywhere else: to earn a living, to earn a better quality of life, and possibly to earn substantial wealth and significant social status. Just because you can never be King doesn't necessarily mean you can't improve your life.

Sweforce wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Large guilds will have communal creches, but small companies or self-employed individuals may take a more personal role in child rearing.

We then get to the question of how a self employed loroi get the right to breed.

The same way as any other civilian Loroi: be spectacularly successful at what you do. It also helps to live in a less conservative community.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:58 pm
Profile WWW

Arioch wrote:
But this is like asking: what was the motivation of common-born people in England to work, when they can never become aristocrats, and so they will always be second-class citizens? The answer is the same as everywhere else: to earn a living, to earn a better quality of life, and possibly to earn substantial wealth and significant social status. Just because you can never be King doesn't necessarily mean you can't improve your life.

The difference here is that common-born people wasn't born aristocrats, and never intended to be. They was risen and educated as "common". But Loroi was risen and educated as "aristocrats" and then thrown away.
In Russia after perestroika there was lots of people, who had to do job they never wanted to do. Many of them became alcoholic or suicide or just die of illnesses caused by ignorance of own health.
Also the worker who don't want to do his job would be awfully inefficient. It's not a problem if you have a healthy labour market, but if all available candidates are the same, that problem can quickly escalate to economical disaster.

Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:31 am
Site Admin

SVlad wrote:
The difference here is that common-born people wasn't born aristocrats, and never intended to be. They was risen and educated as "common". But Loroi was risen and educated as "aristocrats" and then thrown away.

This is a fair point. But it's not as if they were treated like aristocrats and then sent into the mines to work; life for warrior children is pretty hard, much harder than life for civilian children. A warrior child doesn't get any special privileges until she passed the trials. And they weren't "thrown away"; they quit. And this happened when they were about six years old.

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:00 am
Profile WWW

So in short, they never had the 'good life' of a warrior, or aristocrat as SVlad put it, so don't know better.

Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:09 pm

They are children even by Loroi standards, they don't know better other than toeing the line that is expected of them, hell I imagine a perfectly able child in a rebellious phase intentionally flunking out out of a whim.

If given the decision after having some real life experience I imagine that there would be plenty of warriors who would have gladly exchanged their warrior privileges for a safe and free civilian life* and plenty of civilians who would have laughed at the relative ease of the trials they tapped out of when they were teenagers.

*Depending on outsider factors of course.

Looking forward to the mirror (Delayed editing)
Reforged (Irregular updates)
The Pale Horse (Completed, could use some editing)

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:30 pm

Quote:
there would be plenty of warriors who would have gladly exchanged their warrior privileges for a safe and free civilian life

Somehow I'm under the impression that warriors can give up warrior status if they choose.

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:55 pm

True but as I said, depending on outside factors. A Soroin in peacetime permanently stuck at a low rank could elect to go civilian if she could relocate herself on a place like Maia. In wartime a warrior doing that would be seen as cowardice and would be a social pariah even in civilian cycles.

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:46 pm

dragoongfa wrote:
True but as I said, depending on outside factors. A Soroin in peacetime permanently stuck at a low rank could elect to go civilian if she could relocate herself on a place like Maia. In wartime a warrior doing that would be seen as cowardice and would be a social pariah even in civilian cycles.

Or sent to military prison, penal battalion, or even get executed of their cowardiance, depending on the local military laws, circumstances, and the attitude of their superiors.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:43 am

dragoongfa wrote:

I suspect that the loroi would have lot's of "warriors", people that are part of warrior casts bur see little if any combat. Actually one of the way the Romans could offset lot's of the costs of keeping their legions where to use them as workers on various public projects like building roads and such. What will you do with someone that past all the tests as a warrior but have what is required to be a brilliant engineer?

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:12 am

Sweforce wrote:
I suspect that the loroi would have lot's of "warriors", people that are part of warrior casts bur see little if any combat.

What will you do with someone that past all the tests as a warrior but have what is required to be a brilliant engineer?

Yes, they do. And you sort them into the so called "support castes" - Listel, Gallen, Doranzer (science officers, engineers and technicians, doctors and medics respectively).

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:08 am

entity2636 wrote:
Sweforce wrote:
I suspect that the loroi would have lot's of "warriors", people that are part of warrior casts bur see little if any combat.

What will you do with someone that past all the tests as a warrior but have what is required to be a brilliant engineer?

Yes, they do. And you sort them into the so called "support castes" - Listel, Gallen, Doranzer (science officers, engineers and technicians, doctors and medics respectively).

More importantly, what if they're the most talented hair stylist that the sister-worlds ever birthed?

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:36 am

boldilocks wrote:
More importantly, what if they're the most talented hair stylist that the sister-worlds ever birthed?

A civilians promotion to warrior right there! :lol:

Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:39 am

Sweforce wrote:
boldilocks wrote:

A civilians promotion to warrior right there! :lol:

Straight into the Emperor-Valet caste! :lol:
(How would that translate into Trade?)

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:04 pm

Would Loroi do better or worse than humans in a lovecraftian setting?

Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:17 pm
Site Admin

Werra wrote:
Would Loroi do better or worse than humans in a lovecraftian setting?

Dunno. I guess it depends on whether the eldritch creatures are telepathic and how that would work.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:37 pm
Profile WWW

Ancient gods at the bottom of the eart seas is the reason why humans is so resistent to telepathy!
All humans who can be detected by telepathy instantly knew the cosmic truth, go insane and die!

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:43 pm

Zorg56 wrote:
Ancient gods at the bottom of the eart seas is the reason why humans is so resistent to telepathy!
All humans who can be detected by telepathy instantly knew the cosmic truth, go insane and die!

At least the "go insane part", those loony bins exist for a reason. Sometimes tho they retain just enough sanity to become excellent authors or horror stories... :lol:

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:32 am

On this page:
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider032.html

what do the prohibition signs actually signify?
I'm guessing the left-most one says "no knives", or "no weapons"?

Also, is it normal on loroi vessels to have cells in a completely different color / unpainted and dilapidated/dirty?

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:17 am
Site Admin

boldilocks wrote:
On this page:

Also, is it normal on loroi vessels to have cells in a completely different color / unpainted and dilapidated/dirty?

The texture is actually based on a photo of the rear of a garbage truck. I'm not sure what it says. :D

If you've ever seen the inside of a real jail cell (and unfortunately I have), they tend to be rather untidy.

Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:14 am
Profile WWW

Something about "no sanzai broadcasting" may be? :)

Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:29 am

Arioch wrote:
boldilocks wrote:
On this page:

The texture is actually based on a photo of the rear of a garbage truck. I'm not sure what it says. :D

If you've ever seen the inside of a real jail cell (and unfortunately I have), they tend to be rather untidy.

I tend to keep on the straight and narrow, so I haven't, but I just assumed a race of women wouldn't stand for a dirty cell :lol:

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:13 pm

boldilocks wrote:
I tend to keep on the straight and narrow, so I haven't, but I just assumed a race of women wouldn't stand for a dirty cell :lol:

I used to think the same about women because of how tidy my mother and my grandmothers are. My sister and all of my exes shattered that belief without even trying.

Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:19 pm

Arioch wrote:

Ah, so that caused the hiatus in 06. :/

The Loroi seem extremely orderly actually. There is not a single piece of decoration on all of Tempest (that we've seen) that wasn't an official installment. Where's all the clutter and graphic customization any (human) soldiers would fill their posting with in times of high stress? Not even Kilroy has been there.
Is that something Loroi don't do at all or do they just keep it out of the hallways?

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:39 pm
Site Admin

Werra wrote:
The Loroi seem extremely orderly actually. There is not a single piece of decoration on all of Tempest (that we've seen) that wasn't an official installment. Where's all the clutter and graphic customization any (human) soldiers would fill their posting with in times of high stress? Not even Kilroy has been there.
Is that something Loroi don't do at all or do they just keep it out of the hallways?

Decoration and customization should be kept to private spaces aboard a military vessel, I think.

The backgrounds being relatively plain and free of clutter is a deliberate stylistic choice. It's partly to help fit the style of the hand-drawn foreground characters, and partly to save myself from having to sink even more time than I already do into building the background assets.

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 ... 168  Next