Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Arioch »

I'm sure there are a variety of alternate passageways to get from deck to deck that do not require power, and that don't require zero-G acrobatics. This is not the type of starship where you can trap people on the bridge just by cutting off the power. :D

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Arioch wrote:
orion1836 wrote:If I were to make a guess, they would likely use our existing taxonomy structure with a single Latin word added to the front to denote planetary ecosystem of origin (and we would retroactively gain one for every lifeform on Earth).
There would need to be a new classification category for the world of origin, to be sure.
I'd be tempted to suggest “empire” if it weren't already a lesser-used synonym for “domain”. So probably just “planet” or similar.
Don't delay, join today!

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Arioch wrote:I'm sure there are a variety of alternate passageways to get from deck to deck that do not require power, and that don't require zero-G acrobatics. This is not the type of starship where you can trap people on the bridge just by cutting off the power. :D
Jefferies tube acrobatics on the other hand... ;)

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Something occurs to me: "He She who smelt it, dealt it," would never be a thing among Loroi. They would always know who dealt it.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

orion1836 wrote:Something occurs to me: "He She who smelt it, dealt it," would never be a thing among Loroi. They would always know who dealt it.
That's what the Mizol wants you to believe! :lol:

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

There was map of Seren Theater, but it is gone.
http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/i ... r_map2.gif

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

SVlad wrote:There was map of Seren Theater, but it is gone.
http://www.well-of-souls.com/outsider/i ... r_map2.gif
Do you need it for something? I had it downloaded ages ago.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

GeoModder wrote:Do you need it for something? I had it downloaded ages ago.
Yes, it was linked here in translation.
Outsider in Russian

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

I suggest you download the picture at your end from the Flickr page and confirm you've done so. I will delete the picture from my page there then.

edit: removed link
Last edited by GeoModder on Fri May 22, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Done, thanks.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

You're welcome. The picture is now removed from that page.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I removed the image because it's no longer accurate. It's not a problem if people see it, but they should be aware that it contradicts other official maps (both now and in the future).

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Arioch wrote:I removed the image because it's no longer accurate. It's not a problem if people see it, but they should be aware that it contradicts other official maps (both now and in the future).
That's why I believe even more that it's the real map. Anything else is just the Woman trying to keep us misinformed. Well, the Loroi KGB isn't going to get the best of this good ol' boy, I've been doing nothing but drinking disinfectant and wearing acrylic for the last 2 weeks!

Werra

Post by Werra »

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

What would Loroi do if their scout reached humanity now?
I mean, when there is no Umiak and they leave in peace for 200 hundred years.
Outsider in Russian

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

SVlad wrote:What would Loroi do if their scout reached humanity now?
We'd be an opposite case of the Golim. Quarantained for the Loroi's good, rather then Humanity's.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

SVlad wrote:What would Loroi do if their scout reached humanity now?
Alternate history hypotheticals are always problematic. The flow of history is like the weather; it depends on countless seemingly unrelated, seemingly minor factors.

If the question is, "would Loroi destroy humanity?" I don't see any reason why they would. In 2020, the Loroi were still busily colonizing the Seren region, during which period they met many new alien civilizations. The Loroi were more like the Spartans than the Romans; even under an expansionist leader like Eighth Dawn, it was not their first impulse to attack or conquer. We would have to construct an alternate history to determine what Loroi scouts were doing past the Great Wasteland and what they wanted there, but barring some special circumstance, I would expect the Loroi to treat humanity the same as the many other races they met in this period; they would most likely attempt to establish trade relations and learn what we had to teach.

Discovery of humanity's telepathic resistance would be a concern, but the Loroi were pretty confident in their power in this period, and we were still a single-planet pre-starflight civilization; certainly no threat to them. The Loroi had also met the Historians at about this time, who represented a far more serious threat to Loroi power than humanity ever could. I think of more concern would be our physical appearance and the implications to the Loroi beliefs of their own origins. While this might impact diplomatic relations in unforeseen ways, it's hard to imagine a sequence of events that would trigger a Loroi attack over the issue. It's unlikely that the Loroi would be colonizing in such a remote region, so there probably wouldn't be the kind of pressures that led to de-facto annexation of the Golim and Nibiren.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

We are quite out of the way, politically speaking, form Loroi interests in our present day. With what is presumed to be a hundred or two lightyears of less than ideal star systems between their space on the Sol System.

What categorizes that region as the Great Wasteland anyway? Is Sol an oasis in the Wasteland, or are we just on the other side of it?

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Ithekro wrote:We are quite out of the way, politically speaking, form Loroi interests in our present day. With what is presumed to be a hundred or two lightyears of less than ideal star systems between their space on the Sol System.

What categorizes that region as the Great Wasteland anyway? Is Sol an oasis in the Wasteland, or are we just on the other side of it?
IIRC the Great Wastelands are mostly metal poor star systems with everything that entails in terms of biological diversity (certain metals are of paramount importance in terms of biochemistry, without Iron for example there can be no red blood cells) and industrial exploitation.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Arioch, thank you for the detailed answer. I was interested in the general direction of Loroi actions (would they invisibly observe, technologically enlighten, etc) not a full alternative history.
Outsider in Russian