Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

GeoModder

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch wrote:The most limited resources are probably biological in origin; things like fossil fuels (used probably more for manufacturing than for energy) aren't found on lifeless worlds.
With the Bulan Conflicts in mind, perhaps there are lifeless worlds in the Local Bubble which had a thriving ecology back in those days which collapsed due to said conflicts.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Astronomers have location found systems that are a bit odd hinting that was is extremely rare normally can be more common in other systems. It could thing like a former gas giant that due to it's proximity have had it's gas layers blown of exposing the core for instance. Also, super novas, and worse hyper novas eject starmatter. Sometimes, due to the specifics of the former Star thease remains, when captured in another star system, thease could have materials otherwise hard to come by.

Note: Hypernovas are such a overpowered type of supernova that there is a chance that there may not even be a stellar remnant left at the core. No neutron star, no black hole, just NOTHING. Rather cool actually.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I can think of two possible examples where superabundance of resources might warrant an exploitation colony in the absence of other habitation. Unfortunately they're both hypothetical (as far as I'm aware) with no known confirmed examples. But rarity could make them even more valuable.

The first would be the above mentioned iron planet or "cannonball"; an exposed core with solid metal right on the surface. There are all kinds of potential hazards to collection on a world like this; it will be very dense and so with a higher surface gravity for its mass; it would most likely be very close in to the primary and so very hot; and if it has an atmosphere it could be highly toxic, with a "hydrosphere" of iron pentacarbonyl instead of water. Whether such a world would be economical to mine (compared to less efficient conventional iron ore mines located much closer to the sites of production) would depend on the degree of hazard... a rare cannonball that wasn't too hot or massive or unreasonably toxic might be a real treasure house, especially if there were also a more habitable world in the same system.

The other would be a "carbon planet"; a terrestrial world formed from a proplyd that was carbon-rich and oxygen-poor. It would be similar in structure to a terrestrial world, with a metal core and rocky mantle, but with a surface of diamonds and silicon carbides, and an atmosphere and hydrosphere (if any) of hydrocarbons. As with a cannonball, a carbon planet might be very dense and/or quite toxic, and the only proposed candidates formed around supernova remnants, and so would be intensely irradiated.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

While on a planetary or system scale, I can't think of a substance off the top of my head that would be needed for such things, there have been plenty of minor territorial claims and even wars fought over tiny islands were the only resource being gathered come from bird droppings (Guano). Nitrates. Chile had at least one war over that. the United States and Germany nearly had a war over one. The British, French, Germans, Americans, and just about anyone that could boost even a small ocean going navy would have a claim on ones or more such islands in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

It could even be something that is used to make taimat for drive engines. It could be semi-rare, but easier than making antimatter. it may not even be needed in large amounts, unless you need to field a large number of ships. One system may be enough to last hundreds of years normally, but during a total war, perhaps one needs two or three such systems to keep up with the demands of the wartime shipbuilding.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

If I needed some kind of macguffin material, I could say that the catalyst which makes taimat production efficient is some kind of super-rare exotic material. But I don't think the story needs that kind of thing.

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

Arioch wrote:
The other would be a "carbon planet"; a terrestrial world formed from a proplyd that was carbon-rich and oxygen-poor. It would be similar in structure to a terrestrial world, with a metal core and rocky mantle, but with a surface of diamonds and silicon carbides, and an atmosphere and hydrosphere (if any) of hydrocarbons. As with a cannonball, a carbon planet might be very dense and/or quite toxic, and the only proposed candidates formed around supernova remnants, and so would be intensely irradiated.
The hydrocarbons alone could make it worth setting up some sort of harvesting operation if sufficiently abundant. Lot of things you can make from those. Might even be worth seeding such a planet with extremophile microorganisms to help preprocess such for collection and to minimize the investment of infrastructure on-planet. You get the materials without having to mess up the biosphere of an inhabitable (to sapient life) world that way.

Assuming of course that the value of materials collected is greater than the cost of transporting them.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

If I was going to speculate I would rather look to the moons of a large gas giant than a rare planet. The moons might be nearly as large, it might even have been already pulled apart by the gas giant's gravity to form a ring. In which case it might be "comparitively" easy to find asteroids rich in the rare metals you require.

I could imagine an area of space rich in young systems where the planets are still forming, where again, it might be easier for a space faring species to find and mine the resources they need.

Interestingly the things I have read about asteriod mining suggest that unlike the Earth, heavier metals are distributed evenly throughout an asteroid’s mass rather than closer to the core, and as an added attraction the presence of these materials will often be found in much higher concentrations than on Earth. So asteroid fields may be the way to go.

I also think (although I might be wrong) that most of the platinum family of metals on the Earth come from meteors. Which covers most of the rare metals we add to alloys for strength and heat resistance.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

"Rare" minerals are incredibly abundant on Earth; it's just that the heavier elements have mostly sunk into the depths of the planet when it was molten, and are mainly brought to the surface in trace amounts by vulcanism. I think most of our iron deposits come from veins laid down during the Oxygen Catastrophe when the byproducts of early photosynthetic life caused the iron dissolved in the then-green iron-rich oceans to rust out and coat the ocean floor. The resources are everywhere, it's just a question of how economical it is to get to them.

Deep core mining can get at these minerals, but I suspect that collecting them from asteroids will probably be cheaper, especially at ~TL10.

I don't know of any research that suggests that gas giant moons would be unusually rich in heavy elements, as, like with Earth, most would sink to the center during formation to form the core. As far as I'm aware, most of the moons of the outer planets are mostly rock and ice, and comparatively little metal outside the core. Moons with extremely active vulcanism like Io could bring more heavy metals to the surface, but I think the hazards of such an unstable geology might outweigh the benefits.

But my main point is that all of these features probably exist in any star system with a habitable planet, and so in most cases any resourcing operations will be done most cost-effectively in the same system with the source of consumption.

QuakeIV

Post by QuakeIV »

Will the comic last long enough for humanity to matter? Kindof starting to strike me as a 'no' the more I think about it (particularly reviewing this thread and some of the ancillary stuff regarding human capabilities at this point).

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

I imagine a strategic mind that is not handicapped by the inability to psychically determine the location of an adversary might be useful to the war effort. A fresh perspective.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

The comic isn't about humanity, as far as I understand. Think of it as a travel log kept by a native south american allied with spanish conquistadors as they lay waste to the incan empire.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

boldilocks wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:58 am
The comic isn't about humanity, as far as I understand. Think of it as a travel log kept by a native south american allied with spanish conquistadors as they lay waste to the incan empire.
Or Marco Polo in the Far East...

QuakeIV

Post by QuakeIV »

That did seem likely, I was just kindof inclined to pose the question.

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

QuakeIV wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:14 pm
Will the comic last long enough for humanity to matter?
Depends how you define "humanity" and "mattering".

Obviously, the discovery by the Loroi of humanity's existence will have a profound impact, notably because of its implication that the Loroi were just another Soia-Liron "copy" of an existing species, like the Barsam are to the Nibiren, and therefore not the fabled Soia themselves. But well, humans themselves will not really care much about provoking a crisis of faith in some alien species. They'll probably care more about the Loroi being blue-skinned space babes...

And obviously also, Alex will play an important role somehow.

But the rest of humanity, hopefully, should be able to just sit this one out.

QuakeIV

Post by QuakeIV »

As soon as I first saw the Loroi I thought 'oh, alien space-babe empire', so I appreciate that you used that term.

Yeah it seems like this is mainly a matter of trying to make sure one faction or the other doesn't exterminate humanity due to that being marginally preferable to letting them align with the other side.

There is the slightly unfortunate aspect at the moment that humanity might wind up being seen as the catalyzing factor for the huge bug breakthrough currently underway, due to them being invisible to their far-seer thingies.
Last edited by QuakeIV on Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

QuakeIV wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:55 am
There is the slightly unfortunate aspect at the moment that humanity might wind up being seen as the catalyzing factor for the huge bug breakthrough currently underway, due to them being invisible to their far-seer thingies.
"Seen"? Humanity might actually be the cause. If the bugs have already found some humans and decided to grow a few of their own ...

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Jagged wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:45 am
QuakeIV wrote:
"Seen"? Humanity might actually be the cause. If the bugs have already found some humans and decided to grow a few of their own ...
How would they convince humans to man their warships against the hot blue space elves?

No, women wouldn't do cut it because they would incinerate the bugs.

Mk_C

Post by Mk_C »

Jagged wrote:
I think it to be most unlikely.

Alex already pointed out on page 67 how even detecting human lotai would be non-trivial for Umiak, captive/vat-grown Loroi or no. Much less understanding the extent of this lotai (they need to know not only that Loroi can't send to humans, but that they are undetectable to Farseers across interstellar distances in fleet numbers), and somehow acquiring enough pinkies to crew literal thousands of ships. Even assuming that they figured out the lotai, and how to clone humans, and train and indoctrinate them to crew whole gatecrasher fleets. That would require first grabbing humans somehow, which would be either one of the other scouts, or some other exploration vessel. Other scouts would mean literally a couple months between the contact and a gorillion obedient humans - some bullshit even by space fantasy measure, much less the hard-ish sci-fi bar we have here. Hierarchy is experimentally daring and industrious, not magical. Otherwise, it would imply a completely different expedition somehow running into the Hierarchy in a completely unrelated incident years ago, which would enter the narrative completely out of left field, and somewhat contradict a lot of what we were already told, without even an opportunity to resolve the confusion - a mess with no payoff.

The parallel between human lotai and the undetectable Hierarchy fleets would make Loroi leadership suspicious - they know next to anything about humans and their (nonexistent) history with the Hierarchy, and all that they do know comes from either Alex or the Historian Emissary, both most untrustworthy. Stillstorm, the Emperor and the Diadem would have grounds for reasonable suspicions, but both we the audience and Alex himself can be fairly certain that these suspicions are ultimately wrong, and proving them as such would be an interesting challenge for Alex. Some complain that "protagonists seem totally helpless and irrelevant in the story" - here's a task for Jardin's wits, cunning and rhetoric, with stakes as high and development perhaps more interesting than most space battles. Well, either that, or Loroi could just look through Hierarchy wrecks and eventually discover a curious absence of human bodies aboard. Maybe both, eventually.
Last edited by Mk_C on Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

And even if the Umiak did find some adventurous Humans and were able to snatch them without alerting the Human authorities, I don't think they would find out that the Humans do have a Lotai.
They are not telepathic.
They have no access to telepaths which could perform a test for them, except if they were able to reeducate captured Loroi (or their offspring).
So how to find out that Humans have a Lotai, and how to copy it?

And reading our DNA and discern from there that Humans have Lotai and that it would work against the Loroi would mean their technological base is far enough that they likely would've created their own Lotai-engineered Bugs already themselves, before they found the Humans.

The Loroi have access to plenty of telepaths, and did extensive testing, and still haven't found out how the telepath-amplificators of the Soia work. They are able to replicate the effect,and have done enough trial-and-error testing to adapt the technology for their purpose, and adapt it for individuals for improved performances, but in the end, they still don't know how farsensing/telekinetics/telepath works.

So my theory hinges on one thing: that the Umiak don't have access to Loroi directly.

So, most likely, the Umiak did capture and experiment on enough Loroi, that some of the Loroi PoW (or their offspring) serve the Umiak now.
Although, how they hide their own minds and that of others still remains a mystery, as the Loroi are able to observe their own populations over lightyears. And someone crying/shouting for help because they're being tortured to work for the Umiak would likely be a mind noticed.
So, the Umiak either spend extreme efforts reeducating the Loroi (displacing them to the other side of their empire to be out of range of the Loroi farsensers), then torture/re-educate them, make them find out how to hide minds, and then bring them into the war again....

I'm baffled, so I'm waiting for the next chapters!
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

dragoongfa wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:15 am
Jagged wrote:
QuakeIV wrote:
How would they convince humans to man their warships against the hot blue space elves?
By growing their own. Isn't that how they reproduce themselves? Grow a few humans in a vat, tell them what you like.