two questions about the Loroi Military

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Karst45

Re: two questions about the Loroi Military

Post by Karst45 »

dfacto wrote:Space drive-by? :lol:

this is loroi side you fool *pew pew pew!*

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

Off topic question, Do Loroi have muscles that allow them to move their ears or are they fixed like most humans ears (though some people can wiggle theirs)? I've just have been wondering this since I first read this comic about a year ago... silly yes.

Also, how sensitive is Loroi hearing? I would expect it to be sharper than a human's but then again I might not understand the aesthetic of space-elf warriors. :)

Final question, how physically/mentally taxing are telekinetic attacks? Are they relatively easy for practitioners to perform, does each attack become more difficult to perform as the number of attacks increase or do they have the same cost each time? (For example: is the cost of the same action always =2 or does its cost go up by 2+.5n with n=the number of attacks and there is some sort of cool down period).
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Ktrain wrote:Final question, how physically/mentally taxing are telekinetic attacks? Are they relatively easy for practitioners to perform, does each attack become more difficult to perform as the number of attacks increase or do they have the same cost each time? (For example: is the cost of the same action always =2 or does its cost go up by 2+.5n with n=the number of attacks and there is some sort of cool down period).
They are statted with the GURPS system in which Psi abilities carry no cost to use (which is why my GM declined to allow one of my players to have them), and (IIRC) Arioch has previously stated that they take particular effort to use.

Tamren

Post by Tamren »

Ktrain wrote:Off topic question, Do Loroi have muscles that allow them to move their ears or are they fixed like most humans ears (though some people can wiggle theirs)? I've just have been wondering this since I first read this comic about a year ago... silly yes.
Actually I was wondering this too. Human ears have a habit of hurting like hell if they get bent out of shape for a long period of time.

If they were fixed and immovable that would have an effect on helmet design.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Heh, I flashed back to an Elfquest scene where I seem to recall one of the elves (Pike, I think) wiggling his ears. I don't use any motion lines or speedlines, so wiggling ears would be a challenge to depict. But, no, no wiggling ears for the Loroi -- at least, nothing beyond what a human could do. If the ears were more cat-like (Na'vi), directional movement might make sense.

Loroi hearing and vision are within the normal realms of human capabilities.

Aleena

Post by Aleena »

A few artists who allow some amount of ear movement use it to enhance emotional expressions. It can be really cute. Or strange.

http://rooster82.deviantart.com/art/DAO ... -188460876

manticore7

Post by manticore7 »

how long do they have to maintain physical contact for a telepathic attack to work, it seemed that Fireblade needed a few minutes before she could atempt to scan Alex's mind.
"Worlds governed by artificial intelligence often learned a hard lesson, Logic doesn't care"
Andromeda season 2 episode 6 All too Human

Rosen_Ritter_1

Post by Rosen_Ritter_1 »

manticore7 wrote:how long do they have to maintain physical contact for a telepathic attack to work, it seemed that Fireblade needed a few minutes before she could atempt to scan Alex's mind.
Well hypothetically Fireblade was trying to do something subtle. Extract information out of a hard to read prisoner. In the middle of a fight, a Loroi warrior might only do something far more blunt, like overwhelm their senses.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

Well sensai is faster than speaking, so maybe it like a "mind battle" that last more than it seem on the outside. like an arm wrestling :)

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Can't wait to see a more in-depth explanation of telepathy and how the Loroi use it both in and out of combat. Probably going to have to wait for a little while until later on in the story though.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

Biologically, it may burn up a lot of chemicals for neurotransmitters, resulting in all sorts of mental exhaustion, headaches, etc... Addiction & resistance?

There is a possiblity that (if it works this way) that the neurotransmitter receptors are subject to ligand-induced desensitization, not responding due to prolonged exposure to whatever neurotransmitter is used for Loroi psychic ability.

Possibilities?

Which may cause some rare disorders, such as being permanently burnt out as a practicing psychic.

Becoming addicted to the biological rush of psychic use.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Why do Loroi bridge officers report things verbally insted of using senzai?

For the reader of course :P

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

Since verbal communication is taken as a form of aggression, it's how commanders exert dominance (also there is a limited range to senzai, so you must speak for ship to ship communications.)
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?

discord

Post by discord »

also the slight detail of what was ordered for the blackbox, useful at a court martial.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

TrashMan wrote:Why do Loroi bridge officers report things verbally insted of using senzai? For the reader of course
No Tempest bridge officer has said a word during the battle, other than Stillstorm... except for Forest's call to action, which is part ritual and part for the benefit of the record. All the chatter you see is ship-to-ship.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Necroposting, YAY!
Arioch wrote:But perhaps more to the point, a powerful Unsheathed can junk most armored vehicles.
Does this work for incoming shells or warheads on plain sight, too?

Or are these objects moving too fast, since in another thread you said:
Arioch wrote:Fireblade can punch holes in armored vehicles (or anything else) by heating a location on the surface until the structure begins to fail, then applying force to the heated section. This does take several seconds, so a quicker and more effective way to disable an armored vehicle is usually to attack the crew directly.
sapere aude.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Roll down the window, I want to pop a few shots off at these Umiak slugs! :P

Seriously though, I always figured that any boarding-style action would be used as a means to show just how out of the ordinary the situation was. Since it would be very out of the ordinary, wouldn't it? Its not every day that you have an envoy from Earth trying to make first contact after all. :)

JQBogus

Post by JQBogus »

There is also the possibility that the small unit action that is in the offing will be Loroi vs Loroi.

Fanatics bent on keeping Alex from being revealed to the Union and thus spoiling Loroi origin myths. Prophet's Reason, Rigai Mozin, and the Historian construct may have already been the first victims of the plot.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Trantor wrote:Or are these objects moving too fast, since in another thread you said:
Arioch wrote:Fireblade can punch holes in armored vehicles (or anything else) by heating a location on the surface until the structure begins to fail, then applying force to the heated section. This does take several seconds, so a quicker and more effective way to disable an armored vehicle is usually to attack the crew directly.
In theory a shell could be deflected off course or perhaps detonated (though high-tech shells probably don't arm themselves until they're on target, so you'd have to do more than just smack it on the nose), but in practice I think this would be very difficult. Bullets are usually moving too fast to see.

VictorValor

Post by VictorValor »

Rosen_Ritter_1 wrote:
manticore7 wrote:how long do they have to maintain physical contact for a telepathic attack to work, it seemed that Fireblade needed a few minutes before she could atempt to scan Alex's mind.
Well hypothetically Fireblade was trying to do something subtle. Extract information out of a hard to read prisoner. In the middle of a fight, a Loroi warrior might only do something far more blunt, like overwhelm their senses.
While we're on the subject of Alex's interrogation. Was it as painful for Fireblade as it was for Alex?

Edit: 1/14/13

Also, which books would be necessary to run an Outsider campaign with GURPS?I know of the system but am unfamiliar with it.