I Have a Question For the Forum

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Dromond

I Have a Question For the Forum

Post by Dromond »

First of all, please allow me to introduce myself. I'm not new to the forum or to Outsider, but I am new to being a poster. A wild lurker appears! I'm a 59 year old male, whose interests run toward gaming - both computer and table top, geekery in general, and am a lover of craft root beers. I have extensive health problems that keep me home much of the time, but this is the last time you'll hear about them (unless they are germane to a topic for some reason). I don't wallow in self pity. My sense of humor involves bad puns, sarcasm, and random witticisms. I have delusions of being a writer of short stories, which leads me round to the point of my post (finally)!

I've read many fan fiction stories at the forum, though I doubt I have read even close to half of them, and have read several multiple times. The writers here are inspirational with how good they are. There is an abandoned role play that I would like a crack at, writing a "what happened later" follow up. A prologue wrapping up the abandoned storyline, and the following story picking up years later. A sort of "where are they now." The RP in question is CYDONIA RISING. I have to admit, the romance between Sonnidezzi and Charles Aldridge touched me. I really liked it, and I want the majority of the follow up story to be about their path back to each other years later. Duty and all that came between them, but true love cannot be denied. Other characters would appear as sort of guest stars, but Charlie and Sonni would be the main ones. Oh, and Snow. Yup, I have ideas for Snow.

Anyway, I'd need permission from any remaining members of the RP who still post here. Sunphoenix's approval is especially important! Without that, there is no writing the story. So... what do people think? Be honest. If you don't approve, say so. I'm a big boy, I can take it.
Pleasantly abstruse

Snoofman

Re: I Have a Question For the Forum

Post by Snoofman »

@Dromond

Hiya! Welcome to the forum, where we look forward to the day of alien invasion. Hardy har!

But right now... serious time! <Ahem> I haven't read Cydonia Rising. Nor have I really ever participated in a story-building role-play, so I would be a total noob. But if you got an idea that's just scratching at the brims of your skull until it inscribes itself on Microsoft Word with a flick of your finger(s), I say go for it dude. Otherwise you could just right your own thing based on the same story. Quickdraw101 wrote an AU fanfic based on the series I'm writing right now called "Super Beings" after asking me for permission. Just my two cents.

Dromond

Post by Dromond »

Thank you for the welcome!

I'm treading carefully because I'm new. I don't want to step on any toes here. As far as things clawing at my brain, I have a lot of... um... stuff clawing at my braincase. Some of it may even get out. We shall see. But right now, this one is knocking the loudest.
Pleasantly abstruse

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

Ethically, I think it's ok to write a sequel to someone else's role play provided you acknowledge the source material, and don't try publishing it for money. You're basically writing fanfiction for a role play.

Dromond

Post by Dromond »

Now that I sit here thinking about it, for the fanfic to make sense to nearly everyone, they'd have to go read the abandoned RP first. *scratches at goatee* That's a big ask. I need to ask myself, "who am I writing this for, anyway?"
Pleasantly abstruse

Snoofman

Post by Snoofman »

Dromond wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:14 pm
Now that I sit here thinking about it, for the fanfic to make sense to nearly everyone, they'd have to go read the abandoned RP first. *scratches at goatee* That's a big ask. I need to ask myself, "who am I writing this for, anyway?"
My fanfic series is loosely based off of, or at least inspired by, Dragoongfa's fanfic series, "Looking Forward to the Mirror," and "Reforged." I read Reforged but only bits of Looking forward to the Mirror, and readers on the forum still seemed to appreciate my work. I think you should be alright. Just write man.

Dromond

Post by Dromond »

I do have a tendency to overthink things. Okay. I will just write and see what comes of it.
Pleasantly abstruse

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I agree: write.
Those who publish their stories here usually give up their rights in the sense of wanting to keep it all to themselves.
Many will even be extremely happy someone else got inspired to add their own story to it.
And they usually are even happier if you post it again, preferably with a link to the inspiring stories, so that their stories get even more attention.
Because, attention and getting it is the purpose of posting on the InterWebs, right?
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Dromond

Post by Dromond »

I am convinced. It'll take time, but it'll happen. Thank you for the encouragement.
Pleasantly abstruse