What If We Were Ignorant?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Bamax

What If We Were Ignorant?

Post by Bamax »

What if Arioch made only the comic at the current rate of production?

No database. No forums.

Sometimes I think it would be fun NOT to know as much as I do. If that was the case I would be a lot more mystified by Fireblade's powers and simply assume she was an alien version of a superhero.

And I would be just as shocked and mystified by the Umiak and how they look (depending on environment).

That said, the reader reaction would have been massive confusion and theories, most of them not entirely true due to a lack of info and guessing to fill the gaps.

But this would die off eventually, leaving only the most dedicated fanfic writers to pour over page posts and try to make stories from them.

It occurs to me that the reason the database exists is not singular but for several reasons like:

1. A massive database allows readers to read it, and THAT makes them read the comic.

2. If they like the comic, that can lead to Patreon and more or Paypal. Nuff said.

3. Fanfic writers love databases, and such stories can even inspire the author obviously.

4. Arioch I presume enjoys interacting with his reader base despite that they often ask the same questions again and again....which is in part a symptom of new readers and a massive database to become curious over.

If think if there was no database, Outsider would still be known, but not as well....unless speed of production went up while not sacrificing the quality his pages are known for.

At any rate people would ask him questions to no end unless he chose not to answer them.

So I think primarily the database is a tool for those curious, and one more way to draw readers during times between posting.

Sometimes I wish I knew less about the Loroi, since that would up the suspense factor a lot for me.

But I suppose in some ways the 'codex' just ties in with the comic. Meaning you will understand a lot less if you do not read the database or 'codex' as I call it.

A lot of subtle cues are around and foreshadowing within the comic that really only means anything to 'codex' readers.

So I reckon the benefits of drawing support outweigh not having any codex or a place to chat with the reader base.

At the expense of less pages, but a lasting fanbase so long the pages keep coming.