page 180: Nightsky

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Zarya

Re: page 180: Nightsky

Post by Zarya »

Still sounds less bad than his memory leaking information about the brief convo with the Pocket Historian.

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Or Fireblade just screams so loud that even deaf Alex can hear her.

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

Incoming memory that's not the type you want to hear about...

I know that fabricated memories are a troublesome thing when it comes to human brains, but I get the feeling that it isn't what Alex is experiencing right now. My money is on Fireblade having left something behind during the interrogation.
Dunno what to say...this would imply that leaving such a memory behind does not require the user to actively invoke it at the time the..."contact" took place. I doubt Fireblade was reminiscing about her youth while waterboarding him (would be hilarious though). Loroi don't sense memories unless actively invoked. They sense thoughts as they appear, only with more sensory detail.

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

It would be amusing if humans were not just psi-deaf, but rather they were the psi equivalent of a radio receiver tuned to the wrong frequency range. And trying to forcibly probe one just "tunes" them into being able to hear the wavelength of the person doing the probing from there on out....whether they want to be heard or not.

Have a feeling things might get interesting once Fireblade starts to fall asleep in confined quarters with Alex.

DCR

Post by DCR »

Overkill Engine wrote:It would be amusing if humans were not just psi-deaf, but rather they were the psi equivalent of a radio receiver tuned to the wrong frequency range. And trying to forcibly probe one just "tunes" them into being able to hear the wavelength of the person doing the probing from there on out....whether they want to be heard or not.

Have a feeling things might get interesting once Fireblade starts to fall asleep in confined quarters with Alex.
Finally someone has put into intelligible words my wild hopes guesses on the matter. For personal amusement I still want one-way on the meeting of the minds, but have doubts that will be the case due to needs of the plot and such. But combining that farfetched fascinating possibility of involuntary broadcast with
Zorg56 wrote:Who would have thought that Fireblade is so soft on the inside...
Oh. Oh, dear.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Overkill Engine wrote:It would be amusing if humans were not just psi-deaf, but rather they were the psi equivalent of a radio receiver tuned to the wrong frequency range. And trying to forcibly probe one just "tunes" them into being able to hear the wavelength of the person doing the probing from there on out....whether they want to be heard or not.
That actually sounds like what happened here.
Supporter of forum RPG

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

If that was the case, surely Alex wouldn't have been aware of Fireblade before waking up in the infirmary, as she hadn't tuned him to radio One-Eye by then.

DCR

Post by DCR »

boldilocks wrote:If that was the case, surely Alex wouldn't have been aware of Fireblade before waking up in the infirmary, as she hadn't tuned him to radio One-Eye by then.
I'm certain Fireblade was mining for information while Jardin was still unconscious - the parallels between page 18 and 28 couldn't be any stronger without copy/paste. It is possible that the extra effort on the second go-round is what forged the connection, although Jardin didn't get a lot of time awake between infirmary and cell.

edit:
And now the complications of humans having a permanent connection to a Loroi when sansai is used on them is dancing in my brain. (Doubt it's that easy because of lap-elf scene.)

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

DCR wrote: And now the complications of humans having a permanent connection to a Loroi when sansai is used on them is dancing in my brain. (Doubt it's that easy because of lap-elf scene.)
Well, sofar there doesn't seem to be a connection between Beryl and Alex, after her attempt at physically linking with him just before the Umiak torpedo launch.

The main difference between the two contact attempts I see is the raw emotion Fireblade projects.
Could it be that humans are latent empaths, not telepaths?

Arent

Post by Arent »

Zorg56 wrote:Or Fireblade just screams so loud that even deaf Alex can hear her.
I would suspect that as well. According to her GURPS sheet she has the strongest telepathic power with her amplifier. It is surely no coincidence that Alex picks her up at first.

Maybe, if he becomes more 'used' to that, he might also begin to pick up stuff from Tempo and later Beryl.

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

I always thought the human resistance to telepathy is related to the Loroi's psychic ability. I suspect the Loroi being psychic is in relation to whatever the Soia found in humans. Perhaps a Loroi messing around human minds is like the equivalent of corrective laser eye surgery, but for low-key psychic ability in humans. Like flipping a switch.

novius

Post by novius »

We had about two documented cases of attempted psi contact.

First, with him being on the verge of consciousness in Tempest medbay, second, in a deeply relaxed state on the shuttle, during Beryl's little experiment.

And both times it involved Fireblade.

Now that could easily be the third time. Alex himself (in the narration) inferred that Tempo's voice lulled him into a state of deep relaxation (Alpha-wave state), thus recreating the conditions found at the first two occasions.

And it would look like the reception got clearer, not just a vague presence which his brain would interpret as her "outline", but actual content.