page 178: Beryl's time of her life

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

page 178: Beryl's time of her life

Post by Krulle »

Those are some very short summaries of their "home worlds".

page 178: https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider178.html

So, is it a good idea to ask "Red" to talk, or even refer to her by her hair colour?
Or will she take the hint that he saw her "red" in his mind?

Is red an alarm colour for Loroi as well as it is for Humans?

(pity this system does not allow me to copy the image's location)
(also: my first title for this thread was "How about you, Red", but then I find the information that Beryl's enjoying this life more than her childhood very interesting. Poor girl.
But it does explain her continued curiosity, even when considering that she still is a kid, mentally, by our Human standards...)
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Ithekro

Re: page 178: Beryl's time of her life

Post by Ithekro »

Bomb subject for the survivor of a horror of war.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Yes Yes Yes oh Yes. Tell your story, Red.
Supporter of forum RPG

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Uh-oh. Be careful what you're wishing for, dear ensign...

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

Alex just has to poke the bear, doesn't he?

novius

Post by novius »

Krulle wrote:also: my first title for this thread was "How about you, Red", but then I find the information that Beryl's enjoying this life more than her childhood very interesting. Poor girl.
"Poor girl", indeed. Stressing 'this very moment', coupled with her ear-to-ear grin lets me think that she's enjoying the current situation up to the fullest and seizing the chance to make yet another pass at Alex.

Especially after Tempo made her entrance...

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I read it that way too.
She is excited to be alive, and enjoying that, despite the war.
And she prefers this dangerous environment over the "Sand".
And she definitely enjoys being the chronicle of meeting the possible template species for her own species...

She knows and understands she's at the core of a civilization changing information gathering, and enjoys this weird male, who's "well built" when compared to the "men" of her own environment.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

For some reason, being raised in a lush world filled with deadly, yet deceptively beautiful lifeforms fits Tempo to
a T.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

How about it Red?
Somehow I can't see this ending well?

Arent

Post by Arent »

Overkill Engine wrote:Alex just has to poke the bear, doesn't he?
I just wonder about Fireblade's reaction. After all, she is not 'allowed' to speak. But probably the other girls will just answer for her.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Arent wrote:
I just wonder about Fireblade's reaction. After all, she is not 'allowed' to speak. But probably the other girls will just answer for her.
If we are unlucky it may just be a scene with the others saying "I am NOT saying that outloud!"

Sturzkampf

Post by Sturzkampf »

novius wrote:
Krulle wrote:also: my first title for this thread was "How about you, Red", but then I find the information that Beryl's enjoying this life more than her childhood very interesting. Poor girl.
"Poor girl", indeed. Stressing 'this very moment', coupled with her ear-to-ear grin lets me think that she's enjoying the current situation up to the fullest and seizing the chance to make yet another pass at Alex.

Especially after Tempo made her entrance...
Alex is cleverly deflecting Beryl's pass by poking the bear to create a scene. After all, he's just been warned the Loroi aren't his friends, so this is a subtle way of keeping Beryl at arm's length without hurting her feelings by an outright rejection.

Or he's a complete idiot who completely misses all the signals and can't resist upsetting people.

DCR

Post by DCR »

So, about five minutes ago Jardin was advised that speech was challenge or warning to the unsheathed. Now he's grabbing fire or a knife blade :lol: in conversational terms. Brilliant!

Can't wait to see how this turns out- my wild guesses in descending order of probability: no cure for stupid / pain is a great teacher / faint heart won no fair lady / fight club.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Well OF COURSE he has too, he likes Fireblade! Perhaps, he doesn't realize it himself... but he does deep in his heart! She has a connection to him.. that he can't fail to recognize from the first moment he meet her even while he was unconscious!

Let's see ~ she's strong, silent, BEAUTIFUL..Mysterious... but her touch was gentle. She is dangerous and represents a challenge, but she is not malicious... clearly a warrior woman! What red-blooded human male would not find her appealing?

And YES, Beryl IS making a pass... NO, I don't think Alex was thinking about what the construct told him, but YES, Alex is Also making a 'pass' {at a safe distance} at Fireblade!

He is specifically ignoring the fact that he's been told the Teidar view speech as a preamble to a challenge he is IN-FACT doing that on purpose it IS a challenge to her.. not the physical kind of challenge to violence but a social one.. he IS in fact poking the bear cause..well he likes her and wants her attention.

Thus Alex IS making a pass at her ~ flirting, its clear in his expression!
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Beryl watched human movies, looking for an appropriate pickup line.

novius

Post by novius »

sunphoenix wrote:Thus Alex IS making a pass at her ~ flirting, its clear in his expression!
I don't think so. He may like to poke fun at people who he thinks see themselves as somehow "better" than others. And a dour Teidar, separating herself from the others by custom and personal preference would fit the bill.

Jocks poke fun at nerds in school, or rather, have their idea of 'fun' at the nerds expense. That doesn't mean that they like them. They only like riling them up.

Nope, he made his opinion about her already quite clear in his voice-overs. And given that these are, as the story goes, done in retrospect it may mean that he had no reason to change his opinion about her even later on.

novius

Post by novius »

raistlin34 wrote:For some reason, being raised in a lush world filled with deadly, yet deceptively beautiful lifeforms fits Tempo to
a T.
...and, it makes one wonder, when she talks about 'highly evolved, beautiful and deadly organisms', if she includes Perrein Loroi and by extension herself in the list.

Yep, Fireblade may toss him into the wall without touching him. Or bend him into a pretzel.

Tempo might do much worse.

Dahak

Post by Dahak »

Considering that Flint and Reed haven't said anything and Cloud hasn't talked about her homeworld, she isn't the only one not to have contributed to this conversation.

Though Reed might have spoken to him about her home back when he was in lockdown.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Don't poke the bear, Alex.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

kiwi wrote:Don't poke the bear, Alex.
Poking the bear has been kinda his thing with her since the start. She invaded his mind, and to prove a point slammed him into a wall with her brain.

When he tried to strike up a conversation and she didn't respond, he made a bunch of insults to see if she could understand him.

I think he's probing her as much as she probed him.

That or he's too comfortable in his situation and needs to feel like he's about to be thrown out an airlock again.