177: What do you miss?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

DCR

Re: 177: What do you miss?

Post by DCR »

icekatze wrote:
It'd be like if a human joined a group that wasn't allowed to use morse code. Not really a problem until they come across some weirdo that can only speak in morse code.
Maybe, but would still be neat to hear something from Fireblade. Interested to find out if she can 'feel' his presence the way he can hers.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

gaerzi wrote:
SaintofM wrote:I don't think the cultivation of decorative pants would be unheard of to the blue space aliens, or their allies. Even the more carnivorous ones probably have a few they keep for flavoring, texture, smell, or looks.
I wouldn't trust an alien species that cultivates carnivorous pants. :lol:
I see Pitcherplants (the insperation for the Bellsprout family of Pokemon), and venus flytraps every so often at Home Depot. The blues might see the same thing

Clockwork Ninja

Post by Clockwork Ninja »

Sweforce wrote:
Warmth and humidity. Something like a rainforest maybe? That begs the question of how people dress on Perrin.
I think its more a comment on the ship getting cold, remember the life support has been turned down to bare minimum to avoid detection.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

DCR wrote:
icekatze wrote:
It'd be like if a human joined a group that wasn't allowed to use morse code. Not really a problem until they come across some weirdo that can only speak in morse code.
Maybe, but would still be neat to hear something from Fireblade. Interested to find out if she can 'feel' his presence the way he can hers.
I agree DCR...even if it were only a few cells showing her making one of her "dangerously neutral" expressions.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

novius

Post by novius »

Clockwork Ninja wrote:
Sweforce wrote:
Warmth and humidity. Something like a rainforest maybe? That begs the question of how people dress on Perrin.
I think its more a comment on the ship getting cold, remember the life support has been turned down to bare minimum to avoid detection.
https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/loro ... orlds.html explictely states Perrein as having a tropical climate, so Tempo would definitely be the first one to feel uncomfortable as it's getting cold on the ship. Yep, she's already huddling up to conserve body heat.

Now I half expect Talon to make an off-colour comment on Alex being rather warm to the touch. Mind you, she has some firsthand experience, and even said it out loud once, already.

RockB

Post by RockB »

Arioch wrote:
Mr.Tucker wrote:Grass...is tamed not domesticated. Unless one refers to wheat and cereals an perhaps bamboo. It doesn't differ from wild varieties, it's only trimmed and maintained in a certain way.
Do you really think that distinction is important in the context of Alex's dialogue with aliens who know nothing about grass? Can you think of a way to structure Alex's dialogue to make that distinction in a way that's short, clear, and doesn't seem totally irrelevant?
Well, that's loaded question, but first, does the trade language even support the difference between "tamed" and "domesticated"?
Mr.Tucker wrote:Right. Apologies.
Hopefully for being wrong because
peregrine wrote:Also, grass is absolutely tamed domesticated. Maybe not all turf grasses, but hybridization and selective breeding has been going on for a long time, for disease and insect tolerance, resistance to hot or cold weather, size and color, most any aspect you'd want to control in a lawn.

They're domesticated in the same way that Canis lupus familiaris is from wolves.
is correct, there are special sorts of grass for growing under different conditions, like less sun because it's the north side of the house, for different kinds of soil and whatnot.
Mr.Tucker wrote:
CrimsonFALKE wrote:It sounds like mankind waged an epic war on Grass
We'd be extinct I reckon...
Guys do you ever encounter some bits of text that remind you of a song? @1:01

But all that said, and despite that grass is meanwhile domesticated - would you rather say "Darling, I'm out to mow the lawn." or "Darling, I'm out to tame the grass!"? Especially if you have very wild grass?

RockB

Post by RockB »

novius wrote:https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/loro ... orlds.html explictely states Perrein as having a tropical climate, so Tempo would definitely be the first one to feel uncomfortable as it's getting cold on the ship. Yep, she's already huddling up to conserve body heat.

Now I half expect Talon to make an off-colour comment on Alex being rather warm to the touch. Mind you, she has some firsthand experience, and even said it out loud once, already.
Don't remember where I read it but somewhere it was mentioned that humans have a 10° higher body temperature than the Loroi. That's a lot. Have you ever touched someone with a high fever? That's how Alex should feel to the ladies if they have a similarly sensitive temperature sense for their fellow people than humans. Also, Alex will probably feel the cold first. Cuddling up to each other to share warmth will probably work poorly because Alex would be the (too hot) heat core and the ladies would be too cold to help him.

Incinerator

Post by Incinerator »

RockB wrote:Don't remember where I read it but somewhere it was mentioned that humans have a 10° higher body temperature than the Loroi. That's a lot. Have you ever touched someone with a high fever? That's how Alex should feel to the ladies if they have a similarly sensitive temperature sense for their fellow people than humans. Also, Alex will probably feel the cold first. Cuddling up to each other to share warmth will probably work poorly because Alex would be the (too hot) heat core and the ladies would be too cold to help him.
It's posted here, in the Insider.
Loroi internal body temperature is lower than humans', about 27ºC (80ºF).
Lacking a degree in thermodynamics, I'm not sure which would be worse for Alex. Conduction at 80 degrees, or (minimal) convection at whatever the ambient temperature of the vestibule is. It should be noted that the above temperature would be considered severe hypothermia in humans, and poor Alex would be unconscious or close to it at that temperature. I think it will take a while before he reaches that point, though.

Sturzkampf

Post by Sturzkampf »

Incinerator wrote:
RockB wrote:Don't remember where I read it but somewhere it was mentioned that humans have a 10° higher body temperature than the Loroi. That's a lot. Have you ever touched someone with a high fever? That's how Alex should feel to the ladies if they have a similarly sensitive temperature sense for their fellow people than humans. Also, Alex will probably feel the cold first. Cuddling up to each other to share warmth will probably work poorly because Alex would be the (too hot) heat core and the ladies would be too cold to help him.
Lacking a degree in thermodynamics, I'm not sure which would be worse for Alex. Conduction at 80 degrees, or (minimal) convection at whatever the ambient temperature of the vestibule is. It should be noted that the above temperature would be considered severe hypothermia in humans, and poor Alex would be unconscious or close to it at that temperature. I think it will take a while before he reaches that point, though.
There’s worse ways to go. Hopefully the ladies will act like blankets.

Werra

Post by Werra »

https://www.oglaf.com/snowbound/
Very NSFW, but topical.

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

SaintofM wrote:
gaerzi wrote:
SaintofM wrote:I don't think the cultivation of decorative pants would be unheard of to the blue space aliens, or their allies. Even the more carnivorous ones probably have a few they keep for flavoring, texture, smell, or looks.
I wouldn't trust an alien species that cultivates carnivorous pants. :lol:
I see Pitcherplants (the insperation for the Bellsprout family of Pokemon), and venus flytraps every so often at Home Depot. The blues might see the same thing
I was simply joking because of the typo. Carnivorous plants are one thing, carnivorous pants seem like a bad idea.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Didnöt notice that type.
Nice.

Also, my pants have been gobbling up my legs and ass every single day since some 40 years....
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

folti

Post by folti »

Incinerator wrote:
That'd be an issue if they were all naked, which is not the case. The Loroi wear their own suits, which IIRC has some temperature regulation built in (both for conducting and insulation), and Alex wears both a basic Loroi suit, plus his own jumpsuit. The multiple layers between them would limit the heat conducted both ways quite a bit, and would still turn the colder Loroi as insulation (they are already way warmer than the environment, and doesn't exactly leech heat from him). Additional blankets or sleeping bags would improve things too.