172: See something you like?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

sunphoenix

Re: 172: See something you like?

Post by sunphoenix »

Ithekro wrote:To answer Talon's question. "Yes. Yes I do."
"Indeed I do!" :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Voitan wrote:I'm wondering if we're gonna get a lore dump of Terra in the year 2020 where out of control, wild gangs of augmented humans had to be put down, and strictly regulated for their punk attitudes, and reckless trigger disciplines.
The infamous 2034 hipster/apple synthesis, when the 'teched in' finally rose up to take control of the world and make everyone else listen to them talk about their favorite obscure bands and craft beers in vod-casts live-streamed from the least-known dive bars in the country.
'The event', as the surviving "happsters" would unsuccessfully attempt to get people to refer to it as, only came to an end when a bunch of local drunks beat them up and poured beer on their cam-drones.
Other than that no-one really noticed, but the hipsters grew up to be employed in universities and ended up writing the history books.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

boldilocks wrote:
Voitan wrote:I'm wondering if we're gonna get a lore dump of Terra in the year 2020 where out of control, wild gangs of augmented humans had to be put down, and strictly regulated for their punk attitudes, and reckless trigger disciplines.
The infamous 2034 hipster/apple synthesis, when the 'teched in' finally rose up to take control of the world and make everyone else listen to them talk about their favorite obscure bands and craft beers in vod-casts live-streamed from the least-known dive bars in the country.
'The event', as the surviving "happsters" would unsuccessfully attempt to get people to refer to it as, only came to an end when a bunch of local drunks beat them up and poured beer on their cam-drones.
Other than that no-one really noticed, but the hipsters grew up to be employed in universities and ended up writing the history books.
ANd this is why Deus Ex should have been made into a movie.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

I’m with Icekatze on the other page... his surprise caused by the realisation that she had been wearing a weapon of somekind. Putting it off may also be her way of showing him that she trusts him. No shaking hands, just puttin’ old rusty back in the holster.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

boldilocks wrote:
Hmm. How about the Braille Massacres
SpoilerShow
(So called because Braille notes were used to avoid detection by the conspirators).
In 2045 a vicious terrorist organisation / valiant band of freedom fighters realised they didn’t actually own their cybernetic implants, and had no recourse other than binding confidential arbitration. Having lost her case, the leader took up the psudonym Emmanuel Goldstein and began a campaign of retribution upon the writers of End User License Agreements everywhere.

It began with blackmail of selected in-house lawyers, and escalated over time to arson, poisoning and bombings. The technology leadership class held firm in the face of boardroom explosions, total disruption of coffee supplies, and a total lack of arbitrators with which to bind people. They even held firm when Davos was ruined by a radiological bomb. The financial sector begged them to change after the similar ruin of Martha’s Vineyard. But ultimately they broke in the final threat; the use of a nuclear bomb at Napa.

And that is why arbitration can not be binding, and license agreements may no longer contains clause to the effect of ‘we may update this agreement at any time.’

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

I'm with Voitan on the 'we hardly even notice the implant,' side of things, especially as it does look like a piece of jewelery.
I really do think his response is something entirely different, especially as he seems to have it before Fireblade looks at him, and after she unconsciously touches her hair.

Personally, I think that since this is the first time he's seen her in this vulnerable state, he is a little more unguarded where she is concerned, and it wouldn't take much to trigger an attraction / realisation in Alex, say something like brushing her hair back from her ear, and what we are seeing in his expression is the moment ' his heart skips a beat' or you could just imagine him thinking 'Whoa..'
Now her sudden look to him could be as a result of his emotional spike sending a jolt down the link between them.

And Talon could be reacting to something she feels from Fireblade and not Alex!
(The strange human is looking at me!)

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Fireblade: *brushes hair back*
Alex, everyone, and their dog, apparently:

Also, what link are we talking about? Is this something that has been established?

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

DevilDalek wrote:I'm with Voitan on the 'we hardly even notice the implant,' side of things, especially as it does look like a piece of jewelery.
I really do think his response is something entirely different, especially as he seems to have it before Fireblade looks at him, and after she unconsciously touches her hair.

Personally, I think that since this is the first time he's seen her in this vulnerable state, he is a little more unguarded where she is concerned, and it wouldn't take much to trigger an attraction / realisation in Alex, say something like brushing her hair back from her ear, and what we are seeing in his expression is the moment ' his heart skips a beat' or you could just imagine him thinking 'Whoa..'
Now her sudden look to him could be as a result of his emotional spike sending a jolt down the link between them.

And Talon could be reacting to something she feels from Fireblade and not Alex!
(The strange human is looking at me!)
"Soul meets soul, when Eyes meet Eyes!" ~ Windi Pini, ElfQuest
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

"...or maybe she is an outsider."

Wonder if the implants have an effect on the normal Loroi aversion to touching casually - could they possibly make accidental skin contact very uncomfortable to nigh painful for her?

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Overkill Engine wrote:"...or maybe she is an outsider."

Wonder if the implants have an effect on the normal Loroi aversion to touching casually - could they possibly make accidental skin contact very uncomfortable to nigh painful for her?
So Fireblade disliked the probe attempt on Alex as much as he did?

volrath77

Post by volrath77 »

Fieblade's implant is obviously part of the headgear amplifier for her telekinetic abilities.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

volrath77 wrote:Fieblade's implant is obviously part of the headgear amplifier for her telekinetic abilities.
In that case, all four known characters in the comic with headgear have such 'sockets' then.
Besides Fireblade, her two fellow Teidar on Tempest, and Torret Ashrain.

Overkill Engine

raistlin34 wrote:

It would explain her TK shove in the elevator too as being something other than just taking the opportunity to be hostile.

novius

Post by novius »

Overkill Engine wrote:
raistlin34 wrote:

It would explain her TK shove in the elevator too as being something other than just taking the opportunity to be hostile.
Nope. I cannot imagine that (skin) contact would cause her physical discomfort beyond what Loroi would usually feel. After all, close quarters combat for example is something to be expected in her field of service, or physically detaining unruly Loroi in her line of work as a security officer.

It simply wouldn't work if she'd be incapacitated if someone lays a hand on her, literally.

So yes, Alex pegged her right - she decided to be a jerk and playing the "bad elf" of the "good elf, bad elf" routine on him. If it was to avoid physical contact, simply sidestepping him would have sufficed - the elevator cabin had been roomy enough for it.

It wouldn't surprise me if she actually had caused the elevator to act up, Just to gauge his reaction on an unexpected occurance or to force the issue, as Alex was already very much off-balance, standing on one foot while putting the shoe on the other.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

If the choice is to either instill healthy respect in him to ensure he understands that he is under suspicion and if he makes the wrong move he will be killed on the spot, 'playing the bad elf' ie. instilling some discipline in him by showing him that he's not under free movement is to his benefit.
The jerk move would be to make him think he's got free reign and then killing him the moment he makes an ignorant move.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

The Elevator might have just been an opportunity to show off, to prove to the pink thing that eluded her brobing that she is large and incharge, and will not put up with the filthy alien scum.

It might have been luck but it was a factor every hunter, warrior, and soldier needs in a fight.

Overkill Engine

novius wrote:
Nope. I cannot imagine that (skin) contact would cause her physical discomfort beyond what Loroi would usually feel. After all, close quarters combat for example is something to be expected in her field of service, or physically detaining unruly Loroi in her line of work as a security officer.

It simply wouldn't work if she'd be incapacitated if someone lays a hand on her, literally.
Extreme discomfort =/= incapacitated.

I can easily falsify that assumption with a personal experience. Back in my military days, I had the poor judgement to acquire a moderate to severe sunburn. I was still capable of performing my duties, so I avoided punishment for it, but I was certainly less than receptive to the point of hostility to anyone initiating physical contact without my permission, as touch was painful.

But nowhere near painful enough to incapacitate me. It just pissed me off severely, because it hurt. So I was hyper aware of anyone near me due to that, and took extra precautions against being touched.

For all we know Fireblade is walking around with the mental equivalent of a sunburn while she has the amplifier on, and the brass are willing to put up with her behavior due to "Point at enemy for results" plus her TK prowess making physical contact less than necessary to perform her normal duties.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Overkill Engine wrote:For all we know Fireblade is walking around with the mental equivalent of a sunburn while she has the amplifier on, and the brass are willing to put up with her behavior due to "Point at enemy for results" plus her TK prowess making physical contact less than necessary to perform her normal duties.
In that case it wouldn't be a question of whether the brass are willing to put up with it, as all Unsheathed wear amplifiers and therefore all of them have the same problem. (Page 22, 25 and 26)

Overkill Engine

True, it would be more in line with "acceptable side effect" if so.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

It is interesting how Fireblade reacts to being observed. How did she know? Probably due to sanzai from Talon OR could it be that she actually have some kind of sanzai like connection to Alex, related to how he could feel Fireblade through Beryl. This could become interesting.