172: See something you like?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

SaintofM

Re: 172: See something you like?

Post by SaintofM »

The Elevator might have just been an opportunity to show off, to prove to the pink thing that eluded her brobing that she is large and incharge, and will not put up with the filthy alien scum.

It might have been luck but it was a factor every hunter, warrior, and soldier needs in a fight.

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

novius wrote:
Nope. I cannot imagine that (skin) contact would cause her physical discomfort beyond what Loroi would usually feel. After all, close quarters combat for example is something to be expected in her field of service, or physically detaining unruly Loroi in her line of work as a security officer.

It simply wouldn't work if she'd be incapacitated if someone lays a hand on her, literally.
Extreme discomfort =/= incapacitated.

I can easily falsify that assumption with a personal experience. Back in my military days, I had the poor judgement to acquire a moderate to severe sunburn. I was still capable of performing my duties, so I avoided punishment for it, but I was certainly less than receptive to the point of hostility to anyone initiating physical contact without my permission, as touch was painful.

But nowhere near painful enough to incapacitate me. It just pissed me off severely, because it hurt. So I was hyper aware of anyone near me due to that, and took extra precautions against being touched.

For all we know Fireblade is walking around with the mental equivalent of a sunburn while she has the amplifier on, and the brass are willing to put up with her behavior due to "Point at enemy for results" plus her TK prowess making physical contact less than necessary to perform her normal duties.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Overkill Engine wrote:For all we know Fireblade is walking around with the mental equivalent of a sunburn while she has the amplifier on, and the brass are willing to put up with her behavior due to "Point at enemy for results" plus her TK prowess making physical contact less than necessary to perform her normal duties.
In that case it wouldn't be a question of whether the brass are willing to put up with it, as all Unsheathed wear amplifiers and therefore all of them have the same problem. (Page 22, 25 and 26)

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

True, it would be more in line with "acceptable side effect" if so.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

It is interesting how Fireblade reacts to being observed. How did she know? Probably due to sanzai from Talon OR could it be that she actually have some kind of sanzai like connection to Alex, related to how he could feel Fireblade through Beryl. This could become interesting.

Werra

Post by Werra »

You'd expect Fireblade to look more surprised if she had felt something from Alex. Or that the others already knew that some sort of link is possible. But both Beryl and Talon took their lack of connection as an affirmation, it seems like.

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

To me, panel 2 looks like Fireblade is wincing in pain, and panel 3 she is rubbing her temples as a human would for a headache.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Turrosh Mak wrote:To me, panel 2 looks like Fireblade is wincing in pain, and panel 3 she is rubbing her temples as a human would for a headache.
She's been wearing that headset for several hours. Probably kinda sweaty underneath, since she's got hair trapped under it. Imagine wearing a hat or a headband for 8 hours of work, and then taking it off.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

I am sure this will be answered in the next panal thread, but the fact she dosn't speak to Alex and is so pissed off at him because he's talking...an culturle clash? Is she trusting him?

volrath77

Post by volrath77 »

GeoModder wrote:In that case, all four known characters in the comic with headgear have such 'sockets' then.
Besides Fireblade, her two fellow Teidar on Tempest, and Torret Ashrain.
Page 173 is already up so my guess was confirmed. The plug is part of her amplifier. Interesting insight into why Fireblade doesn't speak so that pretty much says two things already: (i) being one of the Unsheathed is hella lonely and (ii) at least one of the other guards that spoke to Jardin when they were boarding the shuttle isn't an Unsheathed.