Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

My hypothesis is that Alex did manage to receive something from Fireblade's reminiscence. Which would indicate some chink in the lotai or possibly even some sanzai ability. In which case...

Oh you idiot. "I, uh, I must have imagined it" is going to get filed under "lie, human, low quality" for future reference. There's no way Beryl's going to forget it or Tempo's going to overlook it. It might just be my imagination but I think Tempo looks more interested already.

junk

Re: 182

Post by junk »

Yeah seems that something really did leak.
It might not be normal Loroi PSI and it was Loroi to Human rather than the other way.

Highlord

Post by Highlord »

I'm willing to bet that humans aren't as psi-blind as we've been thinking, just that it takes a certain amount of focus to be receptive. Or maybe a level of calm.
Last edited by Highlord on Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

novius

Post by novius »

I bet on Beryl and Tempo getting a bit suspicious at that point. And surely one of them, Tempo most likely, will ask Fireblade if she had a reconstruction procedure done on her right eye...

I could see their reactions to be a bit varied. Beryl might be overjoyed at that prospect (though sort of jealous that he'd have a connection to Fireblade rather than her), but Tempo might be less than thrilled and would be more likely to suspect foul play on his part.

Werra

Post by Werra »

In all fairness to Alex, I don't think he has accepted that psi stuff affects him too. It's literally magic. Hearing the thoughts of another being is a foreign concept to him.
The Loroi on the other hand are the opposite. Beryl and especially Tempo will be very curious now.

novius

Post by novius »

Werra wrote:In all fairness to Alex, I don't think he has accepted that psi stuff affects him too. It's literally magic. Hearing the thoughts of another being is a foreign concept to him.
The Loroi on the other hand are the opposite. Beryl and especially Tempo will be very curious now.
I'm not so sure about this. He did have a firsthand experience with psi stuff by now - twice, in fact - and I'm convinced he's not that oblivious as not to have some suspicions on his own after both Beryl and Tempo denying having mentioned anything about Fireblade's injury.

Add to that that he has already shown his capability to keep his mouth shut at crucial situations I'm quite sure that he may think about it, but isn't ready to voice his thoughts right now. Anyone would want to mull things over in their own heads to come to grips of it first at the very least, I'm certain.

For something different - is it just me, or the way it's drawn, or does it really look like both Talon and Spiral had the "target locked" look on their faces? Especially Talon :)

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

novius wrote:I bet on Beryl and Tempo getting a bit suspicious at that point. And surely one of them, Tempo most likely, will ask Fireblade if she had a reconstruction procedure done on her right eye...

I could see their reactions to be a bit varied. Beryl might be overjoyed at that prospect (though sort of jealous that he'd have a connection to Fireblade rather than her), but Tempo might be less than thrilled and would be more likely to suspect foul play on his part.
Or most likely, Tempo will deduce why Fireblade is the only Loroi who can "send" to Alex. Which is bad news for him.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Highlord wrote:I'm willing to bet that humans aren't as psi-blind as we've been thinking, just that it takes a certain amount of focus to be receptive. Or maybe a level of clam.
Well well, that’s a good point. Back in page 134, he was trying to get something from Beryl and got Fireblade instead...
SpoilerShow
EDIT: oops, meant to link picture instead of https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider134.html
novius wrote:I could see their reactions to be a bit varied. Beryl might be overjoyed at that prospect (though sort of jealous that he'd have a connection to Fireblade rather than her), but Tempo might be less than thrilled and would be more likely to suspect foul play on his part.
I wonder what Fireblade would think?

If Alex develops an ability to receive sanzai then the feel of the comic could change quite a bit. For example, how much is Tempo nudging things along? Is Fireblade an asshole, a hardass, or a big softie when you get to know her? Something tells me Talon is much the same in sanzai...

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

I'm totally blaming the following on sleep deprivation. I couldn't resist going a little bit 'mature themes'...
(Moderators, please let me know if this is pushing it.)
SpoilerShow
raistlin34 wrote:...Or most likely, Tempo will deduce why Fireblade is the only Loroi who can "send" to Alex. Which is bad news for him.
I'm now imagining a discussion.
Tempo: "So I believe the best course of action is to recreate your initial encounter with Fireblade."
Talon: <Leers> "He was naked and strapped to the bed, right?"
Alex: "Oh no. No no no. That is not my idea of a good time."
Beryl: <Chews lip> "It is best to control all the variables in an experiment."
Alex: "While some people would think being tied to a bed and probed by fierce warriors was a great night out, I really don't want to do that again."
Tempo: ...
Beryl: "Truly, some humans would enjoy that?"
Talon: LEERS HARDER
Alex: "Oh merciful god, what have I done?"

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

"ENEMY TORPEDO LAUNCH DETECTED!"

{snicker}... I'll bet the 'enemy' was not the only one's Launching Torpedoes at that moment! 'Alex you sly dog!'
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

novius

Post by novius »

kiwi wrote:I wonder what Fireblade would think?
He could count himself lucky that she was already out of earshot. Else he would've found himself pinned to the wall by telekinesis, her looming over him, with a thunderous expression on her face and the spoken (yes, spoken) question "How did you know?!"

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

If they wanted to recreate the experiment they would first have to beat alex very close to death and bathe him in cosmic radiation before strapping him to a table.
Do Loroi have an animal rights society? You know, to keep lesser beings from being gruesomely experimented on.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

boldilocks wrote:If they wanted to recreate the experiment they would first have to beat alex very close to death and bathe him in cosmic radiation before strapping him to a table.
Do Loroi have an animal rights society? You know, to keep lesser beings from being gruesomely experimented on.
And they will have to brainwash himminto beliving hr never seen them before. Normally you only grt one chsnce to a first impression sfter all.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Who would want to recreate such a first impression?

@kiwi: I think this is okay.You're at best hinting at something.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Werra

Post by Werra »

@Krulle
I know people who'd pay to recreate that scene.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I wonder if this is kind of like how deja vu works. There's actually a lot of important steps that happen in the brain to give thoughts and memories a sense of continuity and consistency, and so if telepathy ends up bypassing one or more of those steps, it's totally possible that Alex might think he heard it somewhere when he didn't.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The mind works in strange ways. Back in the olden days before Japanese animation was commercially available in the United States, my sister and I used to go to anime conventions to watch some. Subtitling was pretty rare, so usually it was just in Japanese, occasionally with someone there in person to narrate what was happening in English. When I remember watching these titles, I don't remember the separate Japanese audio tracks and English narration; instead, I remember them as if they had been in English.

When I was in college, after classes my roommate and I would watch the afternoon cartoons (GI Joe, Transformers, Jem) on the crappy little black and white television that we had. But I remember the episodes as if they were in color. Similarly, I sometimes have trouble remembering whether certain old movies were in color or black and white.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Yeah, Arioch.. I remember those days my first intro to the greater world of Anime' as a child. But my my time... at least half of all the animation was either dubbed or subtitled. But I do remember watching ~ Fight! Iczer-One... in Japanese with no dubb or subtitles and was entranced, the action, the music, the animation, the pretty girls... and the gore! I was sooo sad at the end, as a rather innocent 12year old..., thinking that Iczer-1 after restoring Nagisa and the Earth flew to the Cutwulf world and committed suicide blowing the world and herself up at the same time!

lol. It was only after many years later I learned she actually simply teleported the entire world and herself away to continue their journey seeking a home for her race!

Lol..those were the days.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Arent

Post by Arent »

kiwi wrote:
My hypothesis is that Alex did manage to receive something from Fireblade's reminiscence. Which would indicate some chink in the lotai or possibly even some sanzai ability. In which case...

Oh you idiot. "I, uh, I must have imagined it" is going to get filed under "lie, human, low quality" for future reference. There's no way Beryl's going to forget it or Tempo's going to overlook it. It might just be my imagination but I think Tempo looks more interested already.
This is a bit tricky. If Fireblade telepathically sent such a memory, the other Loroi should know that she did. After all, Alex has a high resistance to their psionics and is untrained in that ability. It is weird that he of all people would pick it up, while Tempo didn't.

And I do not have the impression that the Loroi are lying. They seem to be genuinely unaware of anything concerning Fireblade's eye or a former injury.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

I'm thinking, and I don't think I am the only one to mention this when that memory first showed up, that maybe he didn't do it on purpose.

He may have accidentaly gleaned from her mind when she tried to come in like a wrecking ball into his.