Outsider Tech: Sensors

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

MBehave

Re: Outsider Tech: Sensors

Post by MBehave »

Only hyperbole is saying NASA when its actually ESA.
Look up Search for Anomalous Gravitation using Atomic Sensors

If funding is approved(they can keep it within X cost) a probe will be given Quantum Gravity sensors and ejected from the solar system, its job to map the density of objects too dark and small to detect from Earth and to map the density of the Kupier belt.
icekatze wrote:hi hi
MBehave wrote:may want to contact NASA then and tell them their plans to map objects to small/dark/cool for normal detection methods to detect by sending probes with Quantum Gravity sensors into the outer solar system is doomed to fail.
Wat? I mean, first off, citation please? Can you be specific? Which mission exactly are you talking about? I seriously can't tell what is hyperbole and what isn't here.

Second of all, how does a plan to send probes into the outer solar system equate to effective real time gravity sensors on combat vessels?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

MBehave wrote:Only hyperbole is saying NASA when its actually ESA.
Look up Search for Anomalous Gravitation using Atomic Sensors

If funding is approved(they can keep it within X cost) a probe will be given Quantum Gravity sensors and ejected from the solar system, its job to map the density of objects too dark and small to detect from Earth and to map the density of the Kupier belt.
SAGAS isn't a planned mission, merely a proposal. I hope it does become a real mission, because it looks very interesting. However, what I read doesn't support your claim that atomic accelerometers would be easily able to detect ship-mass objects in real time.

For those who don't have the time or inclination to read the 40 page proposal, it proposes a spacecraft that would carry an atomic clock, an atomic accelerometer (a.k.a. "quantum gravity sensor"), and a laser communication link, which would fly a mission of between 15 to 20 years, on an escape trajectory at a distance of between 39 to 53 AU (that's Pluto distance and beyond) from the Sun, with the following objectives:
  1. Test Fundamental Physics Constants
  2. Explore the Gravitational Terrain of the Outer Solar System
    1. Measure the total mass of the Kuiper Belt
    2. Measure the Kuiper Belt Mass Distribution
    3. Measure the masses of individual Kuiper Belt Objects with close flybys
    4. Study the effects of gravity of the outer planets
The proposal lays out pretty clearly that such extreme distances are required to avoid the interference of the Sun's strong gravitational signal, but also that the mapping of the Kuiper Belt will be only on the large scale (total mass and general mass distribution), except in the cases where the spacecraft can accurately map the masses of individual KBO's by passing very close to them. Here is the relevant section:

In short, the diffuse gravitational signal from the huge number of objects makes it very difficult to measure the signal of an individual object, unless you get pretty close to each one. The listed uncertainly in the measurement of the mass of Ixion, even at 0.2 AU, is many orders of magnitude greater than the mass of the largest Outsider starship.

We can expect TL10 accelerometers to be more sensitive than what is available today, but I think it's still going to be a very difficult task to identify ship-size masses amongst the clutter of a star system, especially when you're typically less than 5 AU from the star.

Additionally, I didn't see anything here to support the claim that gravitational detection methods operate at faster-than-light speeds.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Love how we're naming Kuiper Belt Objects. I think we're going to run out of mythological names from *all* mythologies long before we're done.

...or NASA will start funding archeological research to discover more names, lol.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

orion1836 wrote:Love how we're naming Kuiper Belt Objects. I think we're going to run out of mythological names from *all* mythologies long before we're done.

...or NASA will start funding archeological research to discover more names, lol.
One option is to allow everyone and his/her pet to claim their name for a Kuiper object.
There's billions of them anyway, so we're unlikely to run out of names.