Page 157: "This is not MY datapad!"

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

folti

Re: Page 157: "This is not MY datapad!"

Post by folti »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:Wait hold it if the Historians have been fucking exploring beyond the known space why aren't they fighting more openly? I mean they could have Unmanned Space Combat Vehicles deliver hell fire to the Ukami homelands? This tech seems to be like they are holding out to make gains later but what good will that do?
Because they are not expansionist for example? At least not anymore...

Also depends how their exploration goes. They might have not touched wast swathes of the known space, since the locals started spacefaring.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

CF2 wrote:
CrimsonFALKE wrote:Wait hold it if the Historians have been fucking exploring beyond the known space why aren't they fighting more openly? I mean they could have Unmanned Space Combat Vehicles deliver hell fire to the Ukami homelands? This tech seems to be like they are holding out to make gains later but what good will that do?
Sounds a lot like how I usually play a tall side in a strategy game. Build up, out tech my neighbors to an unchallengeable degree, then roll over them when I need something they have and can't otherwise acquire.

They're probably as invested in this war as they need to be to ensure acceptable relations with their allies and minimal military involvement. An Umiak front opening up on their systems might bring them more wholeheartedly into the war -- or give them an excuse to bow out.

Okay so they want to wait until the one side is done with a genocide before rolling out the drone fleets. I take it that the Historian is now just trolling Alex maybe it know about Alex Jones and the gay frogs meme and it probably is bored now. So screw with the lone human maybe cause a freak out and get some chuckles before the shells ask them if they have any last click clacks before they face the firing squad.

Post by 088 »

My bet is the Barsam (or however you spell that) were probably forcibly conscripted and are pissed about it while the Historians are trying to play both sides against the other, and get humanity mixed up in it. (Probably wanting to aim them at the hot space elves so the buggers have some help taking them out.)
If you recall from the very early pages the alien refugees the humans encountered told them that both sides were terrible. So it stands to reason Beryl's friends have probably been naughty space nazis and gotten everyone upset by forcing them to fight a war of the Historian's invention.

Also: The longer this goes on the more I expect Beryl (and an increasingly long list of accomplices) to molest our poor hero. Is the presence of a vaguely similar male changing their behavior? Because right now the entire situation kinda feels like a bunch of clueless schoolboys trying to impress a pretty girl. Y'know more hormones than sense.