Page 148 - responsible radio silence

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Page 148 - responsible radio silence

Post by Krulle »

http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider148.html

Well, well. Look who's a good girl and happy about that!

I'm looking forward to see the Human "toys" the Loroi put aboard the shuttle.

Alex looks also very happy in the first panel.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

volrath77

Re: Page 148 - responsible radio silence

Post by volrath77 »

*notices 3rd panel*

Listel Tozet Beryl uses Cute Pose.

It's SUPER EFFECTIVE!

D'awww she's happy.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

For those of us who have been following along in the forums and dissecting every scrap of information at length, the notion of accidentally sending out a signal that alerts the Umiak to their presence seems like an obvious danger. But having Beryl spell it out so clearly, and given what we know about the automatic nature of Terran distress beacons, I find myself worried that Alex is going to mess up. Even though he's smart enough that he ought not to.

Also, while this may seem like a little thing, Beryl's hands are drawn really well in the second panel. I always have at least a little bit of trouble getting knuckles to look right. But here there's the indication of them, without making them look huge and out of place. It's a nice, subtle touch.

Luge

Post by Luge »

Great to see a new page! Looking foward to seeing what "devices" the Loroi managed to save.

Is it me or Has Beryl lost weight? And maybe some height?

Compare the shape of her head in the bottom right panel of page 20, page 24 or page 104 to page 148.

In all those pages Beryl looks directly at the "camera" and the shape of her head seems a bit stretched compared to earlier panels. Maybe it's the lighting and hair style change?

L.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Or the zero-g now...

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Krulle wrote:Or the zero-g now...
I would expect zero-g to make your face a bit broader, rather than longer, since gravity is no longer pulling your cheek-flesh downwards and thus a bit inwards.
I'd say the earlier ones are due to changes in style since they were drawn years ago.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Luge wrote:Is it me or Has Beryl lost weight? And maybe some height?

Compare the shape of her head in the bottom right panel of page 20, page 24 or page 104 to page 148.

In all those pages Beryl looks directly at the "camera" and the shape of her head seems a bit stretched compared to earlier panels. Maybe it's the lighting and hair style change?
Pages 20-24 were done about 16 years ago, and my style has changed a lot since then. Beryl in particular has some pretty cringeworthy renditions in the early pages.

By page 104, however, her face shape is fairly consistent. I think having her hair up just makes her face look thinner.

104/148 superposition:

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Arioch wrote:

Pages 20-24 were done about 16 years ago, and my style has changed a lot since then. Beryl in particular has some pretty cringeworthy renditions in the early pages.

By page 104, however, her face shape is fairly consistent. I think having her hair up just makes her face look thinner.

104/148 superposition:
YEP..THIS^ just became my phone Background! :) All I need now is a Fireblade Version! :) tee-hee!
Last edited by sunphoenix on Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Arent she is too happy for pure scientific interest?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Zorg56 wrote:Arent she is too happy for pure scientific interest?
She's just showing her nerdy ways. 8-)

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

I'm surprised Beryl pronounced his name correctly instead of Alegs. I thought Loroi trade didn't have a K sound.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Turrosh Mak wrote:I'm surprised Beryl pronounced his name correctly instead of Alegs. I thought Loroi trade didn't have a K sound.
It doesn't have a "J", either, which is why Talon was hesitant to try to pronounce his name. Luckily, Beryl is enough of a nerd to mimic Alex properly.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

By the way, does Talon think that "Enzin" is Alex's personal name?
Outsider in Russian

Luge

Post by Luge »

SVlad wrote:By the way, does Talon think that "Enzin" is Alex's personal name?
I wondered that too!

L.

Luge

Post by Luge »

Arioch wrote:

104/148 superposition:
Yes, now that I look again page 104 is much closer than I first thought. I guess I've just been looking at the early pages for a decade and a half and it's imprinted on me more!

L.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

boldilocks wrote:
Krulle wrote:Or the zero-g now...
I would expect zero-g to make your face a bit broader, rather than longer, since gravity is no longer pulling your cheek-flesh downwards and thus a bit inwards.
I'd say the earlier ones are due to changes in style since they were drawn years ago.
Those are Aliens. We don't know if zero-g affects their supporting structure. Maybe they don't have rather unchanging bones, but a jelly-kind of stuff as support. That may extend lengthwise when not compressed by zero-g.

Bottom line: that are aliens, we don't know naught about their structure. Just their visual appearance.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Krulle wrote:
Bottom line: that are aliens, we don't know naught about their structure. Just their visual appearance.
Eh, that's not very scientific.. and I've always been very weary of falling on that trope which doesn't hold a lot of water.

At human normal atmospheric pressure, human normal near temperature, with bone structure, musculature anchoring and mammalian traits... THAT is a VERY specific set of perameters upon just what an "alien" can be beyond the realms of fantasy... Espeically since it is known that the Loroi appearance is their natural state... not some weird sci-FANTASY shape-shifting 'thing' we have yet to discover in nature ~ TRULY... there are only so many ways to skin this cat.

Humans are not hippos, dogs, cats or dolphins BUT at our Earth standard Gravity, Temperature, and Air Pressure & Composition ~ we can be fair certain how such creatures will react if exposed to vacuum... really there are only so many ways within the fairly tight parameters of Earth normal environment they CAN react. The Loroi and Alex seem comfortable in their shared environment so likely the loroi rather human-like flesh would not be a conjecture or stretch to assume it should react in the same way as a humans exposed to microgravity and or vacuum.

Despite our metabolic differences humans are mostly the same within a tollerable difference... to Apes. Just because humans and Apes can exist in the same environment but CANT interbred does not mean suddenly Apes are some weird alien species that will react any different to being exposed to micro-gravity and or vacuum.

The same can be said for the Loroi within reasonable expectations... we are not THAT different.. because we CAN'T be and enjoy the similar set of tight environmental norms.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

sunphoenix wrote:
Krulle wrote:
Eh, that's not very scientific.. and I've always been very weary of falling on that trope which doesn't hold a lot of water.

[...]

The same can be said for the Loroi within reasonable expectations... we are not THAT different.. because we CAN'T be and enjoy the similar set of tight environmental norms.
Yet you are falling for that trope.
We don't even know if Loroi have bones.
We only know that likely the Soia have shaped the Loroi according to a template species.
But with a completely different biochemistry.
So, the shaping may be limited to the visual appearance, but not to any internal structure.

I also did not write that the Loroi are shapeshifting.

Imagine a softer chitin skeleton. Chitin is mroe flexible than our human bone structure. It has other limitations, though.
But imagine (this is Sci-Fi which does not provide many facts regarding this anyway) that the head-skeleton is not made of bones, but of chitin, not even necessarily an exo-skeleton. Have growth-gaps in it. Well, these growth-gaps may change their gap-size depending on circumstances, but also allow the body to grow additional chitin when the head grows. (However unpractical that might prove for a species designed with space-travel in mind.)

It's just an example.
"We simply don't know" is what I want to say, I also did not want to get into discussions.
And taking only our Earth biosphere evolutionary results does not transfer scientifically for a designed species like the Loroi.

Have fun.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I get your point ...but its a bit obtuse...

We DO have a picture of Tempest Standing on a plain of skulls... 'seems' to indicate a skeletal structure to me?

... or you could take another obtuse conjecture that those are alien skulls and not loroi..

I say Occum's {Ockham?} Razor.. but that's just me.

Believe what you want.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Occam's Razor is about creating better testable hypotheses, not about guessing the correctness of hypotheses. (I love Contact as much as any sci-fi fan, but they really misrepresented Occam's Razor in that.)

The Loroi seem to be built for a life in space. Beryl's face seems to have been drawn pretty consistently ever since Arioch really started upgrading his tools (I'm not sure if he's still using the Intuos Pro or he's gotten something fancier since.)

For all we know, Loroi have a response in zero or low g where their tissue contracts to prevent excess fluid from building up near their head and ruining their sense of smell and such.