Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
MoO II races and their parallels in Outsider 

Post MoO II races and their parallels in Outsider
Since Outsider is partly inspired by Master of Orion II's races, I was wondering if we could draw 1-to-1 parallels (with a huge grain of salt). This is mostly for fun, so feel free to suggest different matches.

Elerians -> Loroi (telepathic matriarchal blue-skinned space warrior babes, duh)
Klackon -> Umiak (industrial space hive-mind insectoids, duh)
Humans -> Humanity (I had to think very hard about this, but eventually the physical similarity led me to believe this might be the case /s)
Bulrathi -> Barsam/Nibiren (mostly because of their robust appearance; nothing else matches very well)
Sakkra -> Nissek (reptilian appearance)
Gnolams -> Orgus (space traders)
Sillicoid -> Golim? ("exotic" life form thriving in a deadly toxic planet; the similarity is very superficial as Golim are not living rocks or silicon-based life)
Alkari -> Arekka (mostly due to the bird-like appearance)
Mrrshan -> Delrias/Morat (exclusively carnivorous predatory warrior species)
Trilarians -> Pipolsid (aquatic species, very adept at space propulsion)
Psilons -> Neridi? (I am treading water here)
Darloks -> Historians? (hidden and mysterious... no, I've got nothing)
Meklar -> ???

(Ancient Orions -> Soia? )

Am I close? Is this completely silly? Both?

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:38 am

Post Re: MoO II races and their parallels in Outsider
I think only a part is inspired by the moo2 races. Which is ok, since the universe usually develops & expands with the story.

The obvious ones are:

Loroi -> Elerians
Umiak -> Klackon
Humans -> Humans
Barsam -> slightly reminiscent of Bulrathi

But there are some which are less obvious. For example, we have not really seen the historians yet. They seem to be the technologically most advanced race. But whether they look like the Psilon is up to speculation.

Another faction we potentially do not know is the ship that shot down the Bellarmine. The way it appeared and vanished could very well be "Darlok like".

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:56 am

Orgus strongly resembles this MoO2 leader for me:
Emo
the Science Leader
Science Leader +10%

And this guy also looks suspiciously familiar:
Jarred
the Explorer
Starting experience: 60 (Captain)
Helmsman +5 (+5 per level)
Navigator* +1 (+1 per level)
Weaponry +5 (+5 per level)
Diplomat +10 (+10 per level)

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:57 am

My suspicion is that the Neridi (diminuative traders and administrators) are actually the *Gnolams*, while the Historians (four-armed highly advanced race) are the Psilons. An offhand comment somewhere suggested that the Meklar eventually mutated in concept to the Mannadi, although the similarity between the MoO2verse and Outsiderverse versions are extremely marginal. If there's a Darlok equivalent, I don't know what they are.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:55 am

nweismuller wrote:
My suspicion is that the Neridi (diminuative traders and administrators) are actually the *Gnolams*, while the Historians (four-armed highly advanced race) are the Psilons. An offhand comment somewhere suggested that the Meklar eventually mutated in concept to the Mannadi, although the similarity between the MoO2verse and Outsiderverse versions are extremely marginal. If there's a Darlok equivalent, I don't know what they are.

Yeah, I originally considered Neřídí for the Gnolams too. Maybe that would fit better.

SVlad wrote:
Orgus strongly resembles this MoO2 leader for me:
Emo
the Science Leader
Science Leader +10%

And this guy also looks suspiciously familiar:
Jarred
the Explorer
Starting experience: 60 (Captain)
Helmsman +5 (+5 per level)
Navigator* +1 (+1 per level)
Weaponry +5 (+5 per level)
Diplomat +10 (+10 per level)

Good point, I almost forgot about that leader!

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:38 pm

nweismuller wrote:

I agree that the Neridi are the most Gnolam like spieces in this settings but i disagree with the Historian -> Psilon comparison.
The Historians are not a researching species and they haven't made much advances since the fall of the soia. The Psilon have more in common with the pipolsid with both species being gifted scientist.

We don't know the Historians motives yet but i wouldn't put it past them to be manipulating the Loroi and the Umiak behind the scenes for their own ends. They are the most likely candidate for a Darlok counterpart.

Here's my list for comparison

Elerians -> Loroi
Klackon -> Umiak
Humans -> Humanity
Bulrathi -> Barsam/Nibiren
Sakkra -> Nissek
Gnolams -> Neridi
Sillicoid -> Golim?
Alkari -> Arekka
Mrrshan -> Delrias/Morat
Trilarians -> Pol
Psilons -> Pipolsid
Darloks -> Historians
Meklar -> Mannadi

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:52 pm

The Nibirien are actually clearly the blue 'natives' of MoO2. I think *that* is pretty unambigious. And come on, the Pipolsid are clearly more inspired by Trilarians than Psilons. Peaceful aquatic beings with unique capabilities in propulsion is basically the Trilarians to a 'T'.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:22 pm

nweismuller wrote:
The Nibirien are actually clearly the blue 'natives' of MoO2. I think *that* is pretty unambigious. And come on, the Pipolsid are clearly more inspired by Trilarians than Psilons. Peaceful aquatic beings with unique capabilities in propulsion is basically the Trilarians to a 'T'.

This was discussed in another thread way back but i can't find it. But yes the Niberen are directly inspired by the natives of moo2. Maybe your right about the Pipolsid, been a while since i played MoO.

On another note. How many have played the remastered version? The Elerians where bit dissapointing in design to be honest, They should have just reused the old designs. But i had a suprising amount of fun with the game and i've really come to enjoy the Terran Khanate.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:09 pm

I'll try to find some images later, but if you care to, compare the picture of the Antaran Leader with the Historian Hologram. The latter seems rather close to the image of a skeleton of the former.

Cross reference that with their advanced technology, highly telepathy adverse nature, and guardianship of the Well of Souls, a dimensional portal if I ever saw one.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:38 am

harlequin2262 wrote:
I'll try to find some images later, but if you care to, compare the picture of the Antaran Leader with the Historian Hologram. The latter seems rather close to the image of a skeleton of the former.

Cross reference that with their advanced technology, highly telepathy adverse nature, and guardianship of the Well of Souls, a dimensional portal if I ever saw one.

For one, thus far there is no concrete in-universe info on what historians really look like. The hologram you are referring to is a virtual intelligence construct and not a hologram of an actual Historian.

For two, the Well of Souls is a gravitational anomaly, most likely a black hole or neutron star.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:51 am

entity2636 wrote:
harlequin2262 wrote:

For one, thus far there is no concrete in-universe info on what historians really look like. The hologram you are referring to is a virtual intelligence construct and not a hologram of an actual Historian.

I always assumed it was a stylised image of what a "Historian" looks like, kind of as if we sent a VI hologram with a simplified animated human figure to talk for us with aliens who have no idea what we truly look like.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]